Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Guys I need recommendations on the next TV series I should start watching.

stoney26

8 hours ago, Chew said:

Finally watching Schitts Creek, halfway through S1.  Pretty funny.  Didn't know the son was Levy's real-life kid.  Good to see Chris Elliot, he's a funny dude.

The waitress at the cafe is Levys daughter in real life as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yohan said:

The waitress at the cafe is Levys daughter in real life as well.

Oh wow, so it's a family affair LOL.  I see in the credits that Eugene and his son are the writers and creators, makes sense they'd bring the daughter/sis into it as well. 

And I'm sure maybe she's been busy, especially in Canada, but I can't for the life of me remember the last time I saw Catherine O'Hara. 

• Like 1

Finished Bad Blood. I liked it, but I am a total sucker for mob movies/series. Didn't know until I googled it that the Montreal crime family was 'Ndrangheta (Calabrese) rather than Cosa Nostra (Sicilian American).

Started watching The Last Kingdom. The first episode was a little slow, but once they introduce Alfred the Great I got hooked. For all the good press Charlemagne gets, Alfred was likely more intellectual - truly one of the most interesting characters of the Middle Ages.

One the other hand, I gave up on Amazon's Brittania, which takes place during the second Roman invasion. The show has some great performances, but the druids are overdone. It's like the writers couldn't decide between doing a historical drama like HBO's Rome (one of my all-time favorites) or fantasy like Game of Thrones.

Edited by Riggo-toni

if you haven't seen "Toast of London", work it into your rotation.  (its on Netflix, but not made by Netflix).

It is about a marginal actor in London....  its wacky.        I WOULD say, don't binge watch it (20 minutes of this wakiness at a time seems about right)

13 hours ago, Riggo-toni said:

Finished Bad Blood. I liked it, but I am a total sucker for mob movies/series. Didn't know until I googled it that the Montreal crime family was 'Ndrangheta (Calabrese) rather than Cosa Nostra (Sicilian American).

Started watching The Last Kingdom. The first episode was a little slow, but once they introduce Alfred the Great I got hooked. For all the good press Charlemagne gets, Alfred was likely more intellectual - truly one of the most interesting characters of the Middle Ages.

One the other hand, I gave up on Amazon's Brittania, which takes place during the second Roman invasion. The show has some great performances, but the druids are overdone. It's like the writers couldn't decide between doing a historical drama like HBO's Rome (one of my all-time favorites) or fantasy like Game of Thrones.

Last Kingdom is pretty good, although they did play out a particular plotline one too many timesn  

Uhtred pisses off Alfred somehow, Alfred gets in trouble, Uhtred bails Alfred and is redeemed (at least partially)

, although that is ended by the end of season 3. 

On 1/1/2019 at 7:32 PM, GoDeep81 said:

Finished House of Cards.. (cough) weak (cough)  Show lost it's edge when it lost Spacey, unfortunately.. 

Mrs Maisel.. Said it before, season one was better done and funnier, imo, than Im dying up here.. I can't wait for season 2.. But yea, they do dance and sing. Usually just a few bars and tolerable, but it happens. lol 

Way before that ... I thought it started dropping off in quality about halfway through Season 4, though alot of that was driven by one single flaw, that I didn't find Conway a realistic or compelling canidate for POTUS.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DCSaints_fan said:

Way before that ... I thought it started dropping off in quality about halfway through Season 4, though alot of that was driven by one single flaw, that I didn't find Conway a realistic or compelling canidate for POTUS.

I can agree with that! It was still watchable though.. Final season was more "please just let it end" for me.. lol 

Started watching Good Girls (season 1 is on Netflix - season 2 comes out in March on NBC) the other day.  It stars Christina Hendricks (red-head from Mad Men) and is about three moms who are in need for money and in difficult spots in their lives.  They decide to rob a grocery store and then chaos ensues after.  It's pretty funny, wife is hooked on it too.  

Just watched Comedians of the World on NetFlix.  It's 4 standup comedians and for me, they put them in descending order, each set is about 30 minutes.

Neal Brennan - great performance, insightful, smart, funny

Chris D'Elia - kinda dumb but not too bad.  I think the best thing about Chris D'Elia is the eyebrow raise

Nicole Byer - just talks about how fat she is for about 20 minutes

Nick Swardson - couldn't get past the first three minutes, might be the worst I've seen in a long time

2 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Just watched Comedians of the World on NetFlix.  It's 4 standup comedians and for me, they put them in descending order, each set is about 30 minutes.

Neal Brennan - great performance, insightful, smart, funny

Chris D'Elia - kinda dumb but not too bad.  I think the best thing about Chris D'Elia is the eyebrow raise

Nicole Byer - just talks about how fat she is for about 20 minutes

Nick Swardson - couldn't get past the first three minutes, might be the worst I've seen in a long time

There's WAY more then just those 4. There's a group of 4 from different countries- each 4 is a different . season. Agreed though that Brennan was the best out of those 4.

• Like 1

Murder Mountain on Netflix.  It's more of a 6 or 7 part documentary series, but it's good.

It deals with Humbolt County, California.  You guys probably know it's where a lot of weed is grown.  I thought it was some hippie place on a @Chew vibe but it's not.  Lots of crime, murder, missing people.  It shows their culture from a lot of different angles: the growers (legal and illegal), the police, townspeople and the history of how the area came to be.

But the overriding story is a murder case that's famous to the area and a father's search for his missing kid.  All of the represented people are interesting but that storyline is the part that hooked me the most.  It's really well done.  

Edited by Spaceman Spiff
  • Like 2

Season 4 of Outlander is the best yet, so friggin' good.  It's up there with the best premium television out right now. 

I beg my fellow TV fans to check it out if you've got access to STARZ.  Give it one episode and you'll be on board. 

outlander-characters.jpg

Edited by Chew

On 1/3/2019 at 8:22 PM, shakinaiken said:

Still sad to see no love for "Homecoming" on Amazon Prime. Such a brilliant show. 

I'll show some. It was really, really good. I do recommend and it's not a big commitment. Limited series, I think about 8 episodes. (?)

Julia Roberts is always good and she did not disappoint this time either.

32 minutes ago, Chachie said:

I'll show some. It was really, really good. I do recommend and it's not a big commitment. Limited series, I think about 8 episodes. (?)

Julia Roberts is always good and she did not disappoint this time either.

Yep, we rocked through it in two days.  Pretty solid.  Cannavale was born to play an asshole. 

• Like 1

On 1/2/2019 at 11:39 PM, DCSaints_fan said:

uhm.... 

aguns5.png

wtf..?

1 hour ago, Chew said:

Yep, we rocked through it in two days.  Pretty solid.  Cannavale was born to play an asshole. 

I don't know if you watch Angie Tribeca but he's in the new season of that. He plays Angie's son. 🤣

Hilarious show if you're into that "Naked Gun" type of comedy. I think it's on TBS.

1 hour ago, mcsluggo said:

uhm.... 

aguns5.png

wtf..?

Not sure if you're disagreeing, but look at the Republican candidates who won the nomination in every election cycle since forever.   All older white men.  I think Romney was the youngest at the time he ran.  

40-ish year old governor?  Yeah, no.

Edit: Can't believe I forgot about GWB.  Still he was 55 when he ran/assumed office.  For some reason I thought Romney was younger.

Edited by DCSaints_fan