Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HTTR24-7| The Redskins Need a “Tavon Austin” To Expand The Offense In 2013

Lavarleap56

X11.jpg

As the 2013 NFL draft approaches, Redskins fans are clamoring for Tavon Austin. NFL personnel departments anticipate Austin being selected well ahead of Washington’s second round pick, But let’s take a look at how a ” X-factor utility” player could fit into Kyle Shanahan’s offense.

The Redskins tried to incorporate WR/KR Brandon Banks into the offense while Pierre Garcon missed time with an injured foot. That plan did not work out; Banks did not provide a consistent offensive threat. After being ineffective on special teams and unable to produce on offense, Mike Shanahan benched Brandon Banks prior to the week 14 game vs the Baltimore Ravens.

Even though the Banks experiment failed Kyle did show a glimpse of a spread offense that will be dangerous with the right pieces around Robert Griffin III. The ideal x-factor would be Tavon Austin, but the Redskins can still find players like Ryan Swope and Theo Riddick later in the draft.

Let’s take a look at an interesting sequence of plays the Washington Redskins used vs the Minnesota Vikings.

Redskins come out with 12 personnel- 1 RB, 2 TE, 2 WR- and line up in a 4 wide set with Niles Paul and Fred Davis as the outside Wide Receivers. The formation, and use of personnel has the Vikings top two corners defending Tight Ends. Josh Morgan and Brandon Banks are defended by the nickel corner and a Safety.

This play will be a simple inside zone run but it serves as the base play for Kyle Shanahan’s package plays.

Read More : http://httr24-7.com/film-room/the-redskins-need-a-tavon-austin-to-expand-the-offense-in-2013/

Saw you post this on twitter earlier-

That play at 3:30 against Texas.. man what incredible acceleration.

For giggles, say Austin was available around pick 35... What would it cost to move up from 51? Note- I fully expect him to be gone in the late 1st.

Watching the offense last year, it seemed like the offense truly lacked this. Remember when Robert would run the option and Josh Morgan or Brandon Banks would be the pitchman? Imagine the possibilities if we drafted a guy this year whose sole responsibility was the 'pitchman/swiss army knife/utility runner?' I think that should be a priority this offseason.

The ideal x-factor would be Tavon Austin, but the Redskins can still find players like Ryan Swope and Theo Riddick later in the draft.

Good article. When I think of Banks in this offense, I think mostly of the triple option. I was at the Cincy game when they went crazy with the triple option with Banks in the 2nd half -- it was fun to watch how jumpy and confused the Bengals defense looked especially initially with it. As for Riddick he's elusive but his 4.68 40 time if I recall is even slower than Alfred Morris' time so wondering if he's the right guy to be a threat for the triple option. Roy Helu if I recall runs a 4.40 -- I'd hope sitting out a full season he can be ready for the season. He has decent hands. He's not super elusive but he can fly.

I like Swope. I wonder if a guy like Goodwin has some moves to him in space besides the blinding speed if so he can be lethal. Goodwin said in an interview that the Skins are one of three teams who have shown him the most interest.

The offense has many fewer questions to answer this off-season than the defense. I think we are set at the top of the WR ranks, with Garcon and Morgan. You have the vet in Moss, assuming he is not a cap casualty. Then you have a bunch of "guys." Hankerson, Robinson, Briscoe (I think he's still on the team). Banks won't be back.

At TE, they have questions, because Davis is a FA, Polumbus is a restricted FA. Niles Paul is there, but unless he has a miraculous off-season, you can't go in with him as your starting TE. Cooley is gone.

RB seems to be pretty set with Morris, Royster, Helu, and/or whoever Shanahan picks in the 6th round to be the next HOF running back.

So, the question of other weapons is a very good one. Davis is a 100% question mark, because you don't know if he'll be on the team, and even if he is, you don't know how effective he'll be. Hank and Robinson have shown flashes. But nothing more.

So, if there was that true elite, difference making play-maker that could play the role that Banks tried to play last year, it would be very helpful to the offense. Travon Austin, or somebody similar would provide a threat that when on the field, would have to be respected. Add that to Garcon, Morgan, Morris and Robert, and you're going to scare the hell out of a lot of defensive coordinators.

The cap penalty this year really hurts. I think the 'Skins are going to have to chose between offense and defense, and decide where they have to give up players that they like. Personally, and I know this is contrary to popular opinion, but I say that they already have a heck of an effective offense, don't screw with it. Spend your money there, and live with whatever happens on defense one more year. Sure, the secondary will still suck, but if you're building for the future, you don't want to lose components of the offense that's already working and make both the offense and the defense average next year, instead of having a true strength in the offense. Then you can load up on defense the next off-season with 20+ million of cap room.

I followed Tavon Austin's college recruitment fairly closely, as UNC was in his top 3. The kid simply had the best high school film I had ever seen. Speed, vision, and just a knack for getting into the endzone. A special, special player that I think projects very well to the NFL.

I agree that the staff has been looking for that speedster type WR that they look to get open in space for big plays. I wonder how the staff feels about Aldrick coming along at this position, even though he seems to be a little bit of a one trick pony. It's still early in his career, so hopefully he keeps progressing. It could do wonders for our offense if he could expand his game and figure out a way to get on the field more.

Great piece, LL. Thanks for all you do. If not Tavon, who do you think in this year's draft might help fill this need?

We saw how the offense took a step back/stalled without Garçon...but with him and an explosive player like an austin/harvin type, whewww, would put a lot of pressure on the other team. I'm all for it, lets hope we can draft a gem and he's that kind of player for us. It may come off as a bit of a luxury item with all of the holes on defense, right tackle, etc. but I wouldn't pass him up if he fell that far. Not gonna happen.

Good article. When I think of Banks in this offense, I think mostly of the triple option. I was at the Cincy game when they went crazy with the triple option with Banks in the 2nd half -- it was fun to watch how jumpy and confused the Bengals defense looked especially initially with it. As for Riddick he's elusive but his 4.68 40 time if I recall is even slower than Alfred Morris' time so wondering if he's the right guy to be a threat for the triple option. Roy Helu if I recall runs a 4.40 -- I'd hope sitting out a full season he can be ready for the season. He has decent hands. He's not super elusive but he can fly.

I like Swope. I wonder if a guy like Goodwin has some moves to him in space besides the blinding speed if so he can be lethal. Goodwin said in an interview that the Skins are one of three teams who have shown him the most interest.

I think people get caught up in speed sometimes when it takes more than speed to be a good runner. Banks had speed but was indecisive and strung plays out too much looking for the big play. A utility back doesn't have to be a burner, In fact I prefer elusive and short area quickness over long speed. Kyle puts guys in position to make plays 1 on 1 in space, a guy who can make the first guy miss consistently would do wonders.

I like Swope but see him more as a pure slot the more I study him. He was pretty impressive at the combine but 100% of that doesn't translate for him on the football field like it does with Tavon Austin. I see Swope as more of a long speed guy that if he gets a step or a crease he can go the distance. Tavon is a guy that can make 3-4 guys miss and make his own crease for 6.

Ace Saunders is starting to grow on me. He can be had in the middle part of the draft. He seems to be a poor man's Tavon Austin.

I was just about to post the same thing...forget his 40 time watch his tape he has the quickness an shiftiness to flourish in kyles system.

Yeah, I like Ace Sanders. A great friend of mind is a Game**** fan so I watched him quite a bit, and the guy would be great for this offense. The premise of this thread is spot on. It's why we were all going crazy about Percy Harvin last month, lol.

This offense could be absolutely deadly with a guy like that in the backfield with Morris in our pistol formation.

Do we need a Tavon Austin/type player? No.

Would there be a benefit to having this type of player? Yes.

Could someone on the roster fill this role? Maybe, Aldrick.

Could the offense expand in other ways? Yes, and I think its more likely considering how little we used the triple option and increased risk to Griffin when using the triple option.

I think its more likely the offense expands in the passing game.

If we continue to run the read option offense the way Shannahan has been dialing it up, they need someone who can be the pitch man that is either a running back or a wide receiver with running ability. Honestly, if we had some leverage to move up, I'd want Washington to move up and grab Austin late in the first round. This guy could be a great rushing compliment to Alfred Morris, and a slot receiver for Robert Griffin. Ace Sanders might be an option here, although his measurables don't match Austin. Austin's teammate Bailey could be an option as well in the third, in my opinion, although he's not as fast. Better receiver though.

Do we need a Tavon Austin/type player? No.

Would there be a benefit to having this type of player? Yes.

Could someone on the roster fill this role? Maybe, Aldrick.

Could the offense expand in other ways? Yes, and I think its more likely considering how little we used the triple option and increased risk to Griffin when using the triple option.

I think its more likely the offense expands in the passing game.

They don't like Aldrick that role. Triple option isn't a neccesisty but it will still be involved In the offense. I think they didn't show off the passi g game from those formations because they didn't trust Banks as a WR.

You want to protect RG3 more than spread teams out a little more. My one issue last year was all of the tight formations. Worked great but allowed defenses (by design ) to keep base personnel in the field. I like how San Fran and Seattle ran Read Option while spreading teams out, forcing more corners on the field and less LBs.

I do feel strongly that the skins need a utility 3rd down/change of pace back or a utility/slot guy.

Ace Saunders is starting to grow on me. He can be had in the middle part of the draft. He seems to be a poor man's Tavon Austin.

That's who i want in the 4th round if we can somehow get Poyer/Rambo in the 2nd Swearinger in the 3rd and Saunders in the 4th I would be ecstatic lol

Honestly, IF we manage to land a starting quality Safety and CB in Free Agency I would not be opposed to swapping our 3rd for a chance to move up in the 2nd if we could take Tavon (or...if we somehow luck out, take him if he drops to us).

I do think that someone like him would be a great asset to this offense. The other guy who jumps out was mentioned in the article, Theo Riddick. If we couldn't move up to get Tavon (or needed a CB or Safety badly still) and he was gone by our 2nd round pick, I'd be happy spending a pick on Riddick a bit later.

The reason I think you need a player like those two over someone like Swope is something LL touched on...running instinct. The ability to know when to cut, to be decisive with the ball, and to make people miss. Tavon was a RB coming out of HS and you can see that in the way he runs, his cuts, his decision making, etc. I think the prototype player for the formation style that LL is talking about is not a "Wes Welker" type of slot guy but a Marshal Faulk. Either a natural running back that has near Wide Receiver hands/route running, or a Receiver who has the running instincts of a typical back.

Slot guys like Welker, and that play style, use the short passes in place of runs...but they're still clearly FORWARD passes typically, a few yards off the line of scrimmage and in the middle of the field. The guy in this formation is running more of your Running Back style of passes...swings to the outside, pitches in the option game going wide, etc...ALONG with the typical slot things, necessitating a guy who has both skill sets.

Indeed, for this I'd take an above average receiver and runner over a top end slot guy. That's why I think Tavon would be very dangerous in this, because I think he's a top end slot guy whose also got above average runner instincts and skills. Riddick I think would be a cheaper option that's a bit of a step down, but still very useful for our offense.

In terms of free agents, I think Danny Woodhead would be the type of guy to look at but I think the draft potential is perhaps worth more than going after him.

Archived