Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I will probably get crucified for saying this but

all the talk about Davis not fitting this offense are crap if we still had Davis and he learned better ball security as he evidently has in Carolina i think we go 5-0.He is a way better back than any we have on the roster.If he wasnt such a butter fingers last year i think Spurrier would have pushed for his resigning.Our line is built to run block and with the guards we now have dives and off tackles not draws and sweeps should be our forte and Davis is the nfls best at those! Betts is hurt a lot and while canidate is better than i would have thought anyone that thinks he is as good as davis is delusional. Morton isnt giving us enough for the amount of money we pay him and frankly isnt good enough to contribute on the offence in more than bursts. Classic case of a coach trying to get guys that fit his system instead of tailoring his system to fit his current personnel.

Classic case of a coach trying to get guys that fit his system instead of tailoring his system to fit his current personnel

And it happens all the time in the NFL. Look at Pittsburgh (Zeroue over Bettis due to offensive scheme change). Bettis is no doubt a better between the tackles runner than Amos, but he lacks that stretch the field potential that a scatty, pass catching RB gives them.

Bottom line- Davis didn't fit for this offense. He was too expensive for what Spurrier is building.

That's not to say Davis isn't worth itm because he is...he's prven that for many years w/ the skins, and now w/ the Panthers. That's not the issue. Davis just did not fit in DC.

Because you are a fellow 'ofthenorth-er,' I forgive your comments.

we could have simply renegotiated his contract teams do that all the time especially if we mentioned getting some new o-linemen!

and saqs yes teams do it all the time but our entire O-line is better at run blocking we should have maybe looked at a coach whose schemes fit our personnel not that i dont like spurrier but it will mean growing pains while the team adjusts and we are going to take a cap hit in a couple of years when these backloaded contracts come due.

Originally posted by Ryman of the North

Winning is the Bottom line and if you have to go with a more expensive guy and cheaper back ups thats what you do Carolina is building a long term winner while we are banking on getting good right away so we should have paid davis to be better now!

What part of WE COULDN"T AFFORD HIM don't you understand??

we could have simply renegotiated his contract teams do that all the time especially if we mentioned getting some new o-linemen!

He didn't want to renegotiate with us, he wanted out as well. Davis looks good because he is getting the ball a lot right now. I think that defense makes him look good also.

Carolina is building a long term winner while we are banking on getting good right away so we should have paid davis to be better now!

Actually that's not true the Redskins are buliding for the future, which started with the off seasons aquisitions, Randy Thomas, Morton, Coles, Candidate, the Drafting of Dockery, and Betts

Davis is older than all of these guys Carolina will be looking for a new back long before we will be looking for replacements for Coles and the rest of the free agents we picked up which we wouldn't have been in position to get had we still had Davis' contract eating up cap money

If we are building for the future then we shouldnt be backloading so many contracts we should be taking the hit now and keeping cap room for later when we are in a better spot to get immediate help! and Jbooma i never read anywhere that SD was unwilling to renegotiate there were some posts on here where he said he was unhappy at not getting the ball enough but was happy with the skins organisation so where did you read that he was unwilling to renegotiate? and there is always a way to keep your best guys and still sign others the great GMs always find ways!

I for one wish we still had him. He was probably the best back since Riggo, and if you don't think so check the stats. Three consecutive years over 1000 yds. I also agree with RofTNorth, there is always ways to keep your best players. Thats why we have contract negotiations. None of you guys who are SD naysayers can honestly say that either one of these backs are half as good as SD. If you can, you are insane. And whats so sad is people keep saying that he did not fit Spurriers scheme. Last year he didn't, but year he certainly does. So what he's not a great pass catching back out of the backfield. Thats why you change it up with Betts. How many games have we played to where we have rushed more than we have passed? Do you want to know why? Because SS NOW realizes that you have to have a successful running game in order for the pass to work.

Lets talk about room on the salary cap. Had we not signed people like George and Sanders just to name a few, we probably would have had room. Bottom line is you have to keep your CORE best players in order to build a championship team. Right now I'm scared sh1tless about Champ B next year. Then if that wasn't enough you ruffle your feathers what about LA! It's hard to imagine us without those two.

This, my friends, is why we need a General Manager.

Because SS NOW realizes that you have to have a successful running game in order for the pass to work.

Check your history. It's not like SS just woke up one day and said, "gee, I should run the ball more". He's always ran the ball. The media has just brainwashed everyone into thinking all he ever does is throw the ball.

The year he won the NC @ Florida, he ran the ball 40+ times.

Originally posted by great28

Last time I checked GoSkins, the Panthers are 4-0, with Davis as their MVP.

Who have they beat???

The beat tampa on a fluke extra point block, had tampa been able to block game was over.

They beat Jacksonville (scary :laugh: )

They beat Atlanta (we beat them too, not to impressive)

They beat New Orleans (once again very scared, Manning only had 6 tds on them)

Now if they go an handle Indy I will give them some props. Just not impressed yet. Similar to the Dallas Situation, or even Tampa for that matter.

For those that miss Davis so much why don't you go buy a carolina jersey and cheer them on.

HE IS NO LONGER A REDSKIN, so choose you can root for both, that is fine but if you miss him so much, well we won't miss you :cool:

I am happy for Davis but he cost too much money for us to keep and that is the bottom line, he also wasn't a good receiving RB and that is what spurrier needs.

and saqs yes teams do it all the time but our entire O-line is better at run blocking we should have maybe looked at a coach whose schemes fit our personnel not that i dont like spurrier but it will mean growing pains while the team adjusts and we are going to take a cap hit in a couple of years when these backloaded contracts come due.

You guys use sentences in Canada, eh?

It all depends on how you look at it.

Rushing offense: Carolina 2nd, Washington 15th.

Passing offense: Carolina 32nd, Washington 8th.

Total offense: Carolina is 23rd, Washington 5th.

What this says is we're a far more balanced team than they are, and can play with a lead or from behind.

Carolina, on the other hand, is screwed if they get behind two or three touchdowns and need to toss the ball.

In short, we dropped a few notches in the running game, but gained a lot more offensive firepower overall. Plus, we now have money left over to re-sign Champ, or make other investments.

I think Snyder, Spurrier and Co. did the right thing.

Archived