Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HTTR24-7:The Case Against DeAngelo Hall

Lavarleap56

That was a poorly written article in my opinion. For so much content, the analysis was pretty elementary. The author should do more research on how defenses, secondaries, and coverages work before he writes such a long piece.

I am assuming you are from the 7-5-7....

Yeah, from the first picture I knew where this article was heading. No one is saying that Hall is the greatest, because he isn't. but I don't think the man deserves to get attacked the way he does. With no safety help and no pass rush for most of 2012, he played alright in my opinion.

I would love to see how Wilson numbers looked. In my opinion he seemed to get beat all the time because he never turns his head around.

Dhall is just a polarizing figure.. he gets bashed on way more than his play warrants.. people remember one or two bad plays and bash him for the entire season for it. I can't count the number of times he was "burned" playing trail in good position with the safety who was supposed to be over the top nowhere to be found.

His tackling is a big + in my book, and he will force fumbles given the chance. He's not perfect but he's a good DB, with competent safety play this year he will look even better. Hell with lousy safety play he still managed to get 1 sack, 4 int, 14 pd's and 95 tackles.

People sometimes let personal feelings affect the way they judge a player's performance. Hall is a hothead who isn't afraid to speak his mind. That can rub a lot of people the wrong way. I know he annoys the heck out of me when he jumps in other players' faces after the play is over. This is especially true for me after the defense makes a stop on third down. I always feel like he is so close to getting flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct that would ruin everything. Despite my annoyances, I admit that he isn't a bad player (though he isn't as good as he is being paid).

Hall will talk **** all day and then get torched for a 60 yard TD...and then talk more ****. It's hilarious. I love it.

I think another reason I like him is cause he'll usually be the first to admit when he screws up, which is frequently. Plus, he has a nose for the ball. When we get a turnover, there's a good chance that it was Hall who picked it, forced it, or scooped it up. And if he wasn't involved in the play, he'll be praising the guys who were, or jawing at the other team and getting under their skin about it. I wish every team had a DeAngelo hall. Football would be twice as entertaining.

The thing that gets me the most about this article is that the author is blatantly reaching for reasons to bash Hall. There are a few cases where he just says "Hall was bad" and doesn't have anything to back it up:

• Week 2: But there is no doubt that DeAngelo Hall deserves a royalty for the millions he helped Amendola make that day. No doubt. I agree, it was a bad game, but come on man, back up what you say.
  • Week 4: RGIII and Cundiff saved a day that DHall desperately tried to give away. So it was just on Hall, and not the whole defense breaking down?
  • Week 7: Of course, he wasn’t in coverage on the play, so when he says “we”, he really means “Madieu”. I don’t disagree with the overall sentiment of the statement, but throwing your teammate under the bus hardly seems helpful. How does the author know what Hall meant? It's speculation to make Hall look bad.
  • Week 12: But, the whole thing could have turned out differently. So now we're upset at what *could* have been? Really?
  • Week 14: He, once again, played starmaker, this time for Anquan Boldin. Um, Anquan was already a star. He did the same thing to the Pats and 49ers.
  • Week 16: Against the Iggles, Hall allows yet another receiver to have a banner day: Jeremy Maclin going for 58 yds matched up against him. Since when is 58 yards and no TDs a "Banner Day" for Maclin?
  • Week 17: -Hall shut down Dez. I’ve heard it more than Gangnam Style. Guess what: back spasms shut down Dez. No, before the spasms Hall held Dez in check.
  • WC Weekend: In doing so, many Redskins were horrendous at missing tackles and stopping the rush. Few were worse than DeAngelo. Proof? Want to give any examples? No, that's cool. We should just take you on your word, right?

As long as his contract is restructured to pay him what his performance is worth then Im fine with having him here. As it stands now, $7.5M is waaaaay too much to pay him and it should be reduced drastically or cut him.

However, we also need a player like him that mixes it up and talks trash. Look how effective it was when Finnigan got into Morgan's head this year.

Controversial piece designed to harvest clicks and traffic.

Not at all.. This debate started on twitter a few days ago between Frank, KC, and I. The debate was pretty heated and the reaction was split between good Hall/Bad Hall. You can only do so much on twitter so Frank put his beliefs and opinions in this blog. I will be using film to show why Hall is not as bad as people say.

I'm not a fan of " controversy for clicks" .

Not at all.. This debate started on twitter a few days ago between Frank, KC, and I. The debate was pretty heated and the reaction was split between good Hall/Bad Hall. You can only do so much on twitter so Frank put his beliefs and opinions in this blog. I will be using film to show why Hall is not as bad as people say.

I'm not a fan of " controversy for clicks" .

I pulled the article up on my cell...

I gotta tell you, it makes me glad to hear/see this isn't your piece. This article wasn't put together very well and is based on a ton of conjecture. Far from your normal quality of work. Glad to see that it wasn't your piece. :)

I pulled the article up on my cell...

I gotta tell you, it makes me glad to hear/see this isn't your piece. This article wasn't put together very well and is based on a ton of conjecture. Far from your normal quality of work. Glad to see that it wasn't your piece. :)

My piece is going to be loooong. I'm going over 17 games and breaking down Halls season by reception, even adding in plays that fans & pff blame him for but are not his fault. That being said Frank does speak for a section of the fan base. Heard it all over this board during the season, twitter, and on the radio.

My focus is on having people understand Hall's role in a scheme vs "zomg he's near the WR it's his fault".

My piece is going to be loooong. I'm going over 17 games and breaking down Halls season by reception, even adding in plays that fans & pff blame him for but are not his fault. That being said Frank does speak for a section of the fan base. Heard it all over this board during the season, twitter, and on the radio.

My focus is on having people understand Hall's role in a scheme vs "zomg he's near the WR it's his fault".

My god man, I wish I had as much time as you.

Well, it helps to understand scheme. I can't tell you how often I see people blaming someone because they're not running with a man, but fail to realize that not every coverage is man principles... Or other things. I wish you luck in that endeavor :)

Well, it helps to understand scheme. I can't tell you how often I see people blaming someone because they're not running with a man, but fail to realize that not every coverage is man principles... Or other things. I wish you luck in that endeavor :)

Just to piggyback, even if he was in man, people don't understand the differences in man techniques (press, off, trail, etc).

^ Wait, he gave Cundiff credit for the Bucs game? Isn't that the game where he missed 3 field goals?
Yup. Cundiff goes 1 for 4 kicking FGs, and Hall gets the blame for allowing a deep pass that led to a TD. :doh:

Add that Cundiff "barely" made the winning FG. In fact, I held my breath to make sure it was good. I had to pause to celebrate. Griffin won that game for us on the last drive, not Cundwideleft.

I never understand all the flack that D-Hall gets. Hes been the best corner in a Redskins jersey since he came to D.C. Josh Wilson played atrocious this season and yet I never hear his name uttered in lists of what went wrong with the defense. If the safeties were even average during the year, and Wilson picked his play up, D-Hall would have likely been in the pro bowl and no one would be saying anything. Not saying D-Hall is a great corner, but he plays well at times and a lot of his mistakes tend to be mistakes made by the entire secondary and blown coverages across the board. If you look at it, he was probably the best corner in the division last season.

Obviously Hall should probably get a little less money, but when a guy like Brandon Carr got a few million more and played twice as bad, its not like Hall is the most overrated, overpaid guy at his position. Corners are always getting overpaid because there are few that are good enough to make a difference.

I clicked on the link initially thinking that the "case" would be a good look at the cost vs. value of Hall for this team, coming down on the side of opposing his continued employment with the Redskins. I was a bit disappointed when it turned out to be such a seemingly biased, and not necessarily fact-based piece.

As such I'm glad that it's actually designed to be two parts, so that there can be a sort of point-counter point going on. What I quoted, I think, is a misconception that a lot of people have about Hall.

Now, Hall is not perfect in coverage either, certainly, but he's not nearly as bad as many think. Indeed, many plays on which he is blamed it falls on poor safety play.

He's not worth 7.5M, but he's not bad enough to be cut either, at least not without good reason and a backup plan.

I'm probably as guilty as any other for jumping on the anti-Hall wagon at times, but I have to agree, a lot of times some of these scores that are blamed on him are the result of poor safety play. Fix this and a lot of people's views would probably change. I really thought DHall picked up his play once the ship got really rolling after the bye week this year. I'll be interested in reading the next article.

Archived