Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HTTR24-7:Redskins Review: Safeties ..OP UPDATED (2/5): FA REVIEW: Corey Lynch, Kenny Phillips

Lavarleap56

If we don't get Lynch, Phillips is the guy I want to target. He's been injured a decent amount, but he's a talented guy who definitely respects Sean Taylor.

That could be a negative about him though; people would definitely try to compare him to Taylor.

I think that would have been an issue if we drafted him but at this point enough time has passed it shouldn't be an issue.

As far as "respecting Sean Taylor," it's cool that he was a fan but I don't see it as relevant criteria.

If we don't get Lynch, Phillips is the guy I want to target. He's been injured a decent amount, but he's a talented guy who definitely respects Sean Taylor.

That could be a negative about him though; people would definitely try to compare him to Taylor.

You might not like the review then lol.Good player though.

Gomes if I recall talked about the enthusiasm Merriweather played with and that he was all over the field. I recall Chris Russell from 980 saying that Merriweather is an energetic, boisterous, extroverted personality, Gomes more quiet and introverted. I'd say if Gomes played well, for a team that was desperate for safety help, Gomes spent a lot of time on the bench. Seems like they gave him a couple of shots to start during the season but was soon benched both times.

[

I saw him quite a bit during the win streak. I think he and Pugh should both be back next year

I saw him quite a bit during the win streak. I think he and Pugh should both be back next year

If memory serves they gave him the starter job at the beginning of the season but he lost it to Reed. Yeah with all the injuries and sketchy at times play at safety, everyone had to play at times including the backups. Not that his word is gospel, but I'd say John Keim among Redskins reporters gets the most respect among his peers in terms of knowing football and studying tape. here's what he said in Dec.

http://www.hogshaven.com/2012/12/6/3735650/i-think-therefore-im-with-john-keim-of-the-washington-examiner

I don't see DeJon Gomes breaking out, either. He looks like a backup/special teamer. They're going to have to find secondary help in free agency somehow or the draft.

I never really been a fan of Kenny Phillips. Always seemed a bit overrated to me, probably since some tried to compare him to ST coming out of Miami. And compound that with inconsistent play and injuries, he just never did anything for me.

I never really been a fan of Kenny Phillips. Always seemed a bit overrated to me, probably since some tried to compare him to ST coming out of Miami. And compound that with inconsistent play and injuries, he just never did anything for me.

Phillips seems to play more strong safety, although he isn't bad at coverage. But if Merriweather is coming back, strong safety might not be a big issue, free safety seems to be the bigger need. Then you got Phillips chronic injury issues.

To me this is the top priority in the off season. I would keep Jackson, Merriweather, and Doughty. I would target FS in free agency and use our top pick on a SS. Hopefully we can nail both of them and turn our weakness into a strong point.

I agree for the most part. I would love to have a season w/ Jackson and Meriweather. We bring back Reed and Berstine. Then draft a FS and SS. Gomes had a chance to make a statement this season but failed in my opinion.

For the life of me I cannot understand why people have so much faith in Tanard Jackson and Brandon Meriweather.

I think we should aim to upgrade from both the FS and SS position. And mo neither TJ nor Brandon represent a large enough upgrade.

If Meriweather comes back in the offseason/training camp he can compete for a spot against the players brought via FA/draft.

OP is updated with Kenny Phillips

Not that I think we will go after Phillips, but if we do, I think it would work out a little better than the review suggests. Meriweather, in his very limited time, looked to be fairly versatile, playing both in the box and deep. He played FS against the Eagles, with Doughty (I'm pretty sure) playing the SS. I think he and Phillips would be interchangeable, and we would be able to somewhat mask who would be doing what. Meriweather and Phillips played together at the U, so they would also have some familiarity with each other and what they are capable of.

Not that I think we will go after Phillips, but if we do, I think it would work out a little better than the review suggests. Meriweather, in his very limited time, looked to be fairly versatile, playing both in the box and deep. He played FS against the Eagles, with Doughty (I'm pretty sure) playing the SS.

Check the OP Safety Review.. Meriweather is a pure SS and the Redskins had him playing forward for a majority of his time on the field. Madieu Williams was the FS that played with him. I captured every play with Brandon on the field.. Mostly attacking underneath routes on his way to the LOS, 1 play as the deep safety, rest were in cover 2.

Haslett played Laron and Meriweather in identical roles just like OJ and Madieu played the same FS role.

You do not want to rely on Meriweather deep in coverage very often. He is a aggressive player that trusts his eyes vs his role in the defense at times. You maximize Brandon as a player by putting him in positions to be aggressive.

I think he and Phillips would be interchangeable, and we would be able to somewhat mask who would be doing what. Meriweather and Phillips played together at the U, so they would also have some familiarity with each other and what they are capable of.

Even at the U Meriweather was used attacking underneath and not so much in deep coverage.

Check the OP Safety Review.. Meriweather is a pure SS and the Redskins had him playing forward for a majority of his time on the field. Madieu Williams was the FS that played with him. I captured every play with Brandon on the field.. Mostly attacking underneath routes on his way to the LOS, 1 play as the deep safety, rest were in cover 2.

Haslett played Laron and Meriweather in identical roles just like OJ and Madieu played the same FS role.

You do not want to rely on Meriweather deep in coverage very often. He is a aggressive player that trusts his eyes vs his role in the defense at times. You maximize Brandon as a player by putting him in positions to be aggressive.

Even at the U Meriweather was used attacking underneath and not so much in deep coverage.

Fair enough. I'll defer to you, seeing as how you've done the research :pfft:

Has he ever had injury problems before this year?

Nope.

Seems more like bad luck and two bad fields than him being injury prone. No one could expect to get taken out by your own teammate in pre-game like that.

I also think people don't realize we basically have nothing but strong safeties on our roster, and that's the whole problem with our safety group in general. Not sure adding another strong safety to that group would fix anything, especially if/when Meriweather is healthy and playing again.

Archived