Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HTTR24-7:Redskins Review: Safeties ..OP UPDATED (2/5): FA REVIEW: Corey Lynch, Kenny Phillips

Lavarleap56

If Shanny can convince Tanard to stay clean I truly believe he is has the most upside of any of the FS free agents. He could play the strong safety and ball out. The problem is reinstatement wont happen untill most decisions are already made. He will be affordable too. I am not sold on Kenny Phillips like many people are. I think Meriwether is as good and comes with the same injury risks so why over pay for someone that we basicly already have? Thats my hope, keep those two and Reed and Bernstine. I have a feeling had there been no suspension for Jackson and Injury for Meriwether we would all be feeling pretty good about who we had.

Welp, there IS the good news that Raheem Morris looks to still be our secondary coach going into the season. I think the way that unit improved as the season went on with the type of players we were forced to play there is a testament to his coaching. We all know one of the biggest differences after the bye week for our defense was Raheem's handling of the rotation there. So, with that said, I think it's reasonable to expect an improved unit even if not a whole lot has changed (of course, Madieu Williams should absolutely be one of those minimal changes at the very least). And, furthermore, I'd think it'd be reasonable to expect a vastly improved unit if we are able to either get a stud CB or a stud Safety this offseason.

LL - awesome write up. Great play break down and analysis. You sold me on Lynch (that's a great name for a safety)!

This year's safety play was truly lackluster for the bulk of the season. Merriweather did provide a spark when he was in, so I'm looking forward to a strong recovery by him.

I get the feeling Madieu is better suited at strong safety. He looked lost at times at FS. So I wonder if some of this was just a matter of square pegs being stuffed into round holes.

If we miss on Lynch or some other moderately priced FA, I am confident with the strong college crop that we can find an immediate upgrade at FS in the 2nd, possibly even the 3rd.

So we have options, which is a good thing in this league.

I get the feeling Madieu is better suited at strong safety. He looked lost at times at FS. So I wonder if some of this was just a matter of square pegs being stuffed into round holes.

I'm pretty sure Madieu has played free safety his hole career. He wasn't that great in the box, either, or at least not enough to play strong safety.

Madieu was just bad. He's been bad for a while. He barely saw the field in 2011 for the 49ers, and STILL cost them a game versus the Cowboys. And he cost us a lot of games too.

Unfortunately, I think Tanard Jackson is done in this league. Too much of a risk and he won't be available until the season begins.

Maybe. But no need to write him off if you're the FO. We should target his position as if he's not there and, if he gets re-instated and does come back strong, well that just means we'll have great depth at a position that was considered a glaring hole just one season prior.

Check out this exerpt from his Wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corey_Lynch

"On June 21, 2009, while driving on a Kentucky interstate, Lynch saw a car go off the road and down an embankment. He stopped, ran down to the car, and freed an injured woman's neck. It was written that he saved her life."

He's also married to Billy Graham's granddaughter lol

I disagree about Gomes. I thought he played pretty well. And what he said about Merriweather was that he basically showed him how to play better. He wasn't a safety in college and is still learning

Gomes if I recall talked about the enthusiasm Merriweather played with and that he was all over the field. I recall Chris Russell from 980 saying that Merriweather is an energetic, boisterous, extroverted personality, Gomes more quiet and introverted. I'd say if Gomes played well, for a team that was desperate for safety help, Gomes spent a lot of time on the bench. Seems like they gave him a couple of shots to start during the season but was soon benched both times.

---------- Post added February-1st-2013 at 08:31 AM ----------

Unfortunately, I think Tanard Jackson is done in this league. Too much of a risk and he won't be available until the season begins.

LL56 any status on T. Jackson? I debated him on another thread. I got no clue of course what's going on behind closed doors but for a guy to be suspended for 39 games in his career already, I'd assume he has serious issues that he might not overcome.

---------- Post added February-1st-2013 at 08:32 AM ----------

LL56 any status on T. Jackson? I debated him on another thread. I got no clue of course what's going on behind closed doors but for a guy to be suspended for 39 games in his career already, I'd assume he has serious issues that he might not overcome.

Check out this exerpt from his Wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corey_Lynch

"On June 21, 2009, while driving on a Kentucky interstate, Lynch saw a car go off the road and down an embankment. He stopped, ran down to the car, and freed an injured woman's neck. It was written that he saved her life."

He's also married to Billy Graham's granddaughter lol

Lynch deflected 28 passes and ranks second at ASU with a Southern Conference all-time record 24 interceptions. His 395 yards on interception returns set a school record. His 52 total passes defended established an NCAA Football Championship Subdivision all-time record. He gained 40 yards on two punt returns, 14 yards on a kickoff return and ranks second in ASU annals with six blocked kicks.

He's also faster then Jairus Byrd

This is how you build winning teams. Fill your roster with young under-the-radar guys coming into their prime who fit your system. They don't need to be spectacular but they need to do their jobs.

Add in playmakers like Robert, Alf, Garcon and you can routinely be a playoff team.

This is how you build winning teams. Fill your roster with young under-the-radar guys coming into their prime who fit your system. They don't need to be spectacular but they need to do their jobs.

Add in playmakers like Robert, Alf, Garcon and you can routinely be a playoff team.

Ding Ding Ding and don't forget about The Spartan ;)

Did a quick wiki search on him, turns out he's married to Billy Graham's granddaughter. You know he's a high character guy if he's married to a relative of one of the greatest evangelists of the modern era.

After watching the breakdown, he's definitely a guy I want here next year. He'll fit in nicely next to Meriweather.

Will probably put out Kenny Phillips..

If we don't get Lynch, Phillips is the guy I want to target. He's been injured a decent amount, but he's a talented guy who definitely respects Sean Taylor.

That could be a negative about him though; people would definitely try to compare him to Taylor.

Archived