Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HTTR24-7:Redskins Review: Safeties ..OP UPDATED (2/5): FA REVIEW: Corey Lynch, Kenny Phillips

Lavarleap56

Starters: Madieu Williams, Brandon Meriweather

Reserves: Reed Doughty, DeJon Gomes, Jordan Pugh, Jordan Bernstine

Review:

help_wanted.jpg

All jokes aside the 2012 season was a tough year for Washington’s safeties. Tanard Jackson was brought in to start along side Brandon Meriweather .He was suspended for a year by Commissioner Hitler one week before the start of the season. Meriweather went down in pre-season with a knee sprain and then injured again in pre-game warm ups after a freak collision with Aldrick Robinson. Meriweather returned vs the Eagles in week 11 , only to suffer a torn ACL early in the third quarter. For the half of football Brandon was on the field he was a difference maker , hopefully next season we will see Meriweather healthy over a whole season.

The backups struggled early but put together some good performances during a 7-0 run leading into the postseason. My standout performance of the group is Reed Doughty, he does not blow you away with physical ability but he ‘s disciplined and accountable to his assignments, something I can’t say for the rest of the group. Who expected Reed to play like an animal vs Seattle? not me but he showed up in a big way.

Dejon Gomes in his second year was a disappointment to put it nicely. I think back to the first play of the Bengals game when he ignored Deangelo Hall, and was beaten for a TD. I understand players get beat it happens, but you don’t wave off a Corner and then pull up lame to hide from getting beat. Hustle and own it, then improve on the next play. Gomes rubbed me the wrong way when he said he had a “ah ha” moment watching Brandon Meriweather play, and that motivated him to play harder..

Madieu Williams… Next

We all know the issues but how should Washington fix it and what should they be looking for?

When you scout safeties you are looking for four tools:

1) Can he drop into the box to support the run & support underneath coverage ?

Read More:http://httr24-7.com/blog/redskins-review-safeties/

Free Agent Safety Reviews:

C.LynchC1.jpg

1) Corey Lynch - San Diego Chargers Read It Here:http://httr24-7.com/blog/free-agent-safety-corey-lynch/

K.PhillipsBC31.jpg

2) Kenny Phillips - New York Giants Read it Here http://httr24-7.com/film-room/free-agent-safety-kenny-phillips-fit-for-the-redskins/

Madieu should have charges brought against him for how bad he played in the secondary this year.

He was bad.. I really didn't want to do a safety review but had to put that together before i review the FA's. Lurking around ES and other message boards it's obvious people don't understand safety roles in the Redskins defense.

You're right, LL, Gomes was a massive disappointment. I noticed his lackadaisical approach all season and the only time he played hard was against the Eagles the first time around when Meriweather went down (I guess, like he said, he recognized how a real SS should play) and then the very next game against the Cowboys for the first half. After that he reverted back to his old self. Or shall I say his 2012 old self?

I don't know... I mentioned it early in the season in a post where I thought he honestly was playing too hurt. Either that or he was thinking too hard while on the field and not just reacting. I don't know what it is... he seems like he has a lot more talent and speed than he plays with. He plays soft and slow, two things a Safety CAN'T play like. So disappointing, I thought he was going to be a good one after his first preseason here. What happened?

My question is what safety do you see us signing in FA?

If I tell you now then you won't have a reason to read the reviews bro :silly:

---------- Post added January-31st-2013 at 05:57 AM ----------

You're right, LL, Gomes was a massive disappointment. I noticed his lackadaisical approach all season and the only time he played hard was against the Eagles the first time around when Meriweather went down (I guess, like he said, he recognized how a real SS should play) and then the very next game against the Cowboys for the first half. After that he reverted back to his old self. Or shall I say his 2012 old self?

I don't know... I mentioned it early in the season in a post where I thought he honestly was playing too hurt. Either that or he was thinking too hard while on the field and not just reacting. I don't know what it is... he seems like he has a lot more talent and speed than he plays with. He plays soft and slow, two things a Safety CAN'T play like. So disappointing, I thought he was going to be a good one after his first preseason here. What happened?

I honestly don't know what it is with Gomes... Watching him play my first impressions are soft and slow, but he's not slow, he runs lazy if that makes sense. Not overly impressed with him this season.

I honestly don't know what it is with Gomes... Watching him play my first impressions are soft and slow, but he's not slow, he runs lazy if that makes sense. Not overly impressed with him this season.

Exactly... that's what I was trying to get across. He just doesn't want it. I used the term lackadaisical, but I just think it's unfair a bit to label him as either that or lazy since we don't know what's going on. I wonder if he just doesn't get his assignments normally and is thinking too much, which makes him play like that. The talent is there. We saw him run fast and hit guys hard during the first preseason he had with us. But I think he's just lost or something. Maybe he has personal issues we have no idea about and he's focused on them while playing.

I don't know. But it's so disappointing, especially since it's a position where better play means a huge boost to the quality of our defense. He might just not be mentally tough enough or have the desire to be the type of wrecking ball a Safety needs to be. Some guys just don't want to put their bodies in certain situations and that's understandable, but that means he shouldn't be playing Safety in the NFL. Hopefully, our coaches have it figured out.

LL, I will read the S info and then give you a couple names that I think match.:)

---------- Post added January-31st-2013 at 07:07 AM ----------

Glover Quin, S, Texans. Age: 27 could fit the mold.

my 2 cents...Uncertainty.

Imo players that don't know or are unsure of their assignments or lack a general confidence in their ability play slower then they should.

I think this is the case with Gomes. To my eye he doesn't tackle with confidence; if that makes any sense.

He tries to cut tackle or dive tackle like a CB when he should be squaring up and bringing his arms to wrap; try to deliver a blow. Cut-tackling S are my pet peeve.

Madieu should have charges brought against him for how bad he played in the secondary this year.

The second Eagle game was one of the worst examples of safety play I have ever seen, Williams looked like he had taken a bottle of nyquil before the game....just lost the ENTIRE game.

my 2 cents...Uncertainty.

Imo players that don't know or are unsure of their assignments or lack a general confidence in their ability play slower then they should.

I think this is the case with Gomes. To my eye he doesn't tackle with confidence; if that makes any sense.

He tries to cut tackle or dive tackle like a CB when he should be squaring up and bringing his arms to wrap; try to deliver a blow. Cut-tackling S are my pet peeve.

I agree. I think he's in a tough spot because he's been competing with Doughty. I get the impression he's so afraid of making mistakes (something Doughty is praised for not doing) and losing PT because of it, that he overthinks things. I think that's what he was getting at with his comment about seeing Brandon out there - he realized he needs to enjoy the game more, not overthink things.

I'm hopeful another offseason, particularly seeing Brandon play more will loosen him up. Learning from Brandon and Doughty leaving (if he does) might be the two best thing for Gomes' development. He better hope that's the case anyway otherwise I'm not sure he makes the cut this year.

What this does say to ME is that the secondary, as a whole, wasn't as bad as most thought it was. But if you have one bad link, it could mess the entire unit up. Not to say Dhall and Wilson were perfect, but MW was so much of a liability that there was no scheme to protect him, nor the back end of the defense from big pass plays. I hope he along with Gomes are gone on the first train, smoking!

Very good writeup, the list of needed skills, and difference in the Skins defense of SS and FS were well written, and the photos of the safety coverage in the PHI game was nice visual enforcement of your point.

What are the thoughts on Jackson coming back? He was mentioned briefly at the start then not mentioned again. While I don't advocate viewing him as a starter in 2013, we need to address FS without assuming he'll be around, but he may yet have a role to play.

Otherwise, the three you think will be back I think are accurate. Meriweather is pretty cheap and is clearly a good safety when healthy, Doughty is just going to be around forever, and Bernstine looked like a good young safety prior to his injury. Gomes might be added to that list as a backup/ST player, but after two years he hasn't shown that he can be a starter, despite ample opportunity. Maybe he'll suddenly explode in his 3rd year, but if the coaches don't think he can, then yeah, he won't be back.

What this does say to ME is that the secondary, as a whole, wasn't as bad as most thought it was. But if you have one bad link, it could mess the entire unit up. Not to say Dhall and Wilson were perfect, but MW was so much of a liability that there was no scheme to protect him, nor the back end of the defense from big pass plays. I hope he along with Gomes are gone on the first train, smoking!

It seemed like every big play we gave up was because MW either blew a coverage (I rewatch the games and it seems like Hall esp. passes his guy off, looks back and chases when he sees no one back there) or just the bizzare number of times a guy just runs past MW and then he waits a second and then start chasing him. I don't get that, dude, you're the safety...last line of defense... no one is behind you to take the guy...that's your job. I don't understand that.

Given how pass-happy the NFL has gotten, it would seem that maybe we should look to the guys who aren't quite fast enough or athletic enough to start at CB and move them to FS?

That's one of the arguments made for Amerson in the 2nd (if he's there), he could probably be converted without too much fuss, and could always be used as a CB in the pinch. I wouldn't mind having him and Hall on the team, able to sort of switch off between who is playing CB and who is playing FS.

Archived