Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HTTR24-7:PAY HEED To RGIII *UPDATED Post 33

Lavarleap56

Untitled23.jpg

As an otherwise unspectacular Friday night gave way to Saturday morning, Twitter timelines, cell phone screens, and ESPN’s Bottom Line were suddenly ablaze: Breaking News . . . Redskins trade for the No. 2 overall pick in the NFL draft, sending first-round picks in 2012, 2013, and 2014 along with a second-round selections in 2014 to the St. Louis Rams. With the Colts almost assured of selecting Stanford’s Andrew Luck No. 1 overall, the trade meant that Heisman Trophy winner Robert Griffin III would be the next quarterback of the Washington Redskins and, hopefully, solve a decades-long void at the NFL’s most important position. The symbolism was almost too perfect – as the news rang out about the trade, Saturday, March 10th was barely a few minutes old – a new day, in more ways than one. As we all know, that draft pick did turn into RGIII, and the ride that followed can be described as nothing else but magical. In one season, a 22-year old kid changed the face of a franchise, a feat that is plenty spectacular in its own right. What’s more? He changed the face of the NFL in the process.

Imagine for a second that for whatever reason, the trade between the Redskins and Rams never went through. As MWM and the front office explained after their 4th round selection of Kirk Cousins, the Michigan State quarterback was the second-rated quarterback on their big board. The coaching staff worked closely with him at the Senior Bowl and felt comfortable with his leadership qualities and his propensity to run their offense. So, in a world where the Redskins do not draft Robert Griffin III with the second overall pick, it seems likely Redskins fans would have seen Captain Kirk running the offense long before his debut in relief against the Falcons. Although we will all forever remember Kirk’s game-tying two-point conversion dash against the Ravens, the gameplan against Cleveland suggests a Kirk Cousins-led offense would have looked much more similar to the Kyle Shanahan model we saw from his Houston days through his first two years as Nick Crozier in the District. That means no pistol, no zone-read, and less sleepless nights for every defensive coordinator in the NFC East. So what, right?

Continue Reading: http://httr24-7.com/blog/pay-heed-to-rgiii/

Great article, and I think it's painfully obvious Kyle and Robert started this whole thing in the NFL. Anyone who claims otherwise is either lying through their teeth or have just forgotten how this season started out to where we're at now. NO ONE was running the pistol read option in the NFL except us. Wilson was running a tradition run-heavy offense and the 49ers were still starting Alex Smith while we were the highest scoring offense in the league. That alone is evidence to me.

It's too bad they're being totally overlooked now because of the injury. Shame. And it can be so frustrating to watch if your a Skins fan. That's why I've watched almost little to no football since our playoff game. I don't turn NFL Network on anymore like I used to, either. I never watched ESPN before really so that didn't need to change, anyway. But, yeah.

Great article, and I think it's painfully obvious Kyle and Robert started this whole thing in the NFL. Anyone who claims otherwise is either lying through their teeth or have just forgotten how this season started out to where we're at now. NO ONE was running the pistol read option in the NFL except us. Wilson was running a tradition run-heavy offense and the 49ers were still starting Alex Smith while we were the highest scoring offense in the league. That alone is evidence to me.

It's too bad they're being totally overlooked now because of the injury. Shame. And it can be so frustrating to watch if your a Skins fan. That's why I've watched almost little to no football since our playoff game. I don't turn NFL Network on anymore like I used to, either. I never watched ESPN before really so that didn't need to change, anyway. But, yeah.

Is crazy how we went with the Pistol almost full time and started a trend in the NFL down the stretch. San Fran and Seattle are overly praised for their offense while the Redskins were criticized locally and nationally for the very same offense during the season.

NFL is always resistant to anything that looks different than what they are used to. I;'ve been saying for a few years that the NFL is changing and more and more college offense will be used in the NFL.

Is crazy how we went with the Pistol almost full time and started a trend in the NFL down the stretch. San Fran and Seattle are overly praised for their offense while the Redskins were criticized locally and nationally for the very same offense during the season.

NFL is always resistant to anything that looks different than what they are used to. I;'ve been saying for a few years that the NFL is changing and more and more college offense will be used in the NFL.

I agree. What is it about the Skins that causes this, though? It's ridiculous how much praise Seattle and San Fran have gotten for basically following in our footsteps offensively. But when we're mentioned, it's only about how long Robert will last.

I agree. What is it about the Skins that causes this, though? It's ridiculous how much praise Seattle and San Fran have gotten for basically following in our footsteps offensively. But when we're mentioned, it's only about how long Robert will last.

Yeah and success with it starts changing facts too. I was listening to The Herd today on ESPN radio, and yes, Colin is complete crap, but he had on Greg Cossell from NFL films to talk about Kaepernick. Cosell raved about the read option and said that teams have to account for him even when he's not in the gameplan to run because quote, "He's the fastest quarterback in the NFL".

It's just crazy to me that someone could say that who is in a position like him. I could see Colin saying this, but it was nuts to hear someone like Cossell completely forget about RG3.

honestly i think if we don't land RG3, i think this franchise is doomed. Having any other QB would not have masked many of our problems (offensive line, secondary, Alfred morris would not have been the same without him). I think Shanny would probably have won 5 games without RG3 and although he has done a good job rebuilding the youth of this team, no one would have cared if the wins didn't show. Shanny would be under fire next year and with KC i dont think we would be able to be able as good on offense leading to him being fired. Snyder goes about and acts as a fantasy football owner again because he tried it the other way and the results were the same.

The difference in coverage has been driving me nuts. Robert is criticized for crossing the LOS with the ball on a broken play, but Russell is praised for his BLOCKING in front of Marshawn? To paraphrase Larry Michael, are you ****ing kidding me?

Haha that is pretty funny. I'm positive there was a play where RGIII was a lead blocker and he got criticized in the way of something like, "young man you can't be doing that at this level, etc, etc.". I'm not sure if I'd be able to find the play with the audio. But if memory serves correctly those were the words.

Despite everything he did as a passer, people still right RGIII of as the next Michael Vick, or Vince Young. It's not even the injury that changed it. Even after the Vikings game, when Robert ripped that 78-yard TD run, even after he spent the entire game sliding and getting out of bounds after gaining yards, most of the coverage after that game was about how long he could survive playing that style. He was criticized AFTER WINNING THE GAME and keeping himself clean for the most part for running too much.

At first I thought it was just because Kap and Cam (who also avoids that criticism) were bigger than Robert. Then Seattle steals---uhm, er, "borrows" elements of our playbook and Russell Wilson runs it, he's smaller, weighs less...does he get any criticism? No.

It's the weirdest thing, and RG3 has gotten pretty much no ****ing mention in the whole thing. Nor has Kyle Shanahan since the end of the season. People wouldn't shut their mouths about Chud after Cam's rookie year. Kyle had some initial buzz, but then just nothing.

Is it just the injury? Did that just destroy everything RG3 did this season? Because the Redskins have rarely gotten mentioned, while Seattle and the 49ers are being treated like innovators, for running an offense than neither one of them ran much (if any) of in the first half of the season.

---------- Post added January-24th-2013 at 11:10 PM ----------

Haha that is pretty funny. I'm positive there was a play where RGIII was a lead blocker and he got criticized in the way of something like, "young man you can't be doing that at this level, etc, etc.". I'm not sure if I'd be able to find the play with the audio. But if memory serves correctly those were the words.

It was on an Alfred Morris run versus the Saints. Play was designed to go to the right, but Alfred got bunched up and cut it back against the grain, RG3 got out in front to start lead blocking. Pretty sure Kenny, Moose and Goose said something about it.

Because our QB got hurt (like they all said he would) and theirs didn't. If Griffin hadn't been hurt, he'd be praised along with them. Now, he's just Vick Part 2 according to them and he'll always be hurt and he shouldn't run the ball and he's slight of frame and he's....blah, blah, blah. I hate the media.

Robert will be back next season and remind the NFL who the fastest quarterback is, who the most accurate quarterback is, and who the second/third best quarterback is in the league in his second season (I cant take away from Brady or Rodgers). Let them praise everyone else. Soon enough, they will have no choice but to praise the Redskins. All will Hail.

Robert will be back next season and remind the NFL who the fastest quarterback is, who the most accurate quarterback is, and who the second/third best quarterback is in the league in his second season (I cant take away from Brady or Rodgers). Let them praise everyone else. Soon enough, they will have no choice but to praise the Redskins. All will Hail.
I'm hoping all this attention on other quarterbacks borrowing Robert's playbook just makes him madder, more focused, and determined to serve the media a nice steaming cup of "shut the **** up" next season... All will Hail.

All hail these two posts!:point2sky

Reading the first paragraph brought back some memories for me personally. My son was born at 2:36am on March 10th. My friend texted me that the redskins traded up to the #2 pick about an hour before Maxwell arrived. Definitely the best day of my life because of my son, but adding to that was the excitement of the Redskins being possibly relevant again.

Love RG 3, actually you above all people brought him to my attention and was into him since Nov 2011. RG 3 might just be too tough for his own good, he's fearless. Only thing I'd give Kaepernick and Wilson is they aren't fearless in the same way. I was at the Cincy game and watched him take a pounding and just kept getting up, Rocky like. It's great that the dude has guts like that but clearly it can shorten his career. Having said that, he's a smart guy and I expect him to take less risks.

As for the other posts from others about bragging rights/credit, etc. The media is big time short sighted, its what's ever hot this week. Kapernick is still playing so he will be all the hype. It doesn't bother me much though -- with this QB I don't think our seasons are going to be about bragging right forever, whose ROTY, the best this, the best that, we beat the Superbowl team, etc -- I think we are about to go on a road of being a perennial Superbowl contender where its about the team as opposed to individual stuff. Besides, when RG 3 is on and playing, the media loves him. He has way more personality than Wilson and Kaepernick. Wilson is a good leader but if you ever hear him miked up or interviewed, he's not mr. charisma.

Edit: Be interesting to see if he wins ROTY, he deserves it. I can live with it if its Wilson but it would be annoying if Luck wins. Luck if I recall the 30th ranked passer in the league, one of the worst in INTS, completion percentage and this all with an easy schedule. RG 3 and Wilson have much better stats and they played big teams -- Luck plays the Chiefs, Jacksonville, Tennessee, Lions, etc. Luck had a decent year but IMO not a great one.

Kiper picks Luck for ROTY because he says RG 3 had a much better supporting cast. Really -- Garcon and Davis missed half the year. Avery, Hilton, Wayne > Moss, Morgan, Hankerson. Kiper weeks earlier said that the Redskins have problems at WR when their top guy is Santana Moss. My point, I think the main thing Luck has going for him is the draft geek reporters who picked Luck as the better prospect before the draft IMO bottom line is to have their opinion proved right -- and if Luck wins ROTY its a big part of why.

Because our QB got hurt (like they all said he would) and theirs didn't. If Griffin hadn't been hurt, he'd be praised along with them. Now, he's just Vick Part 2 according to them and he'll always be hurt and he shouldn't run the ball and he's slight of frame and he's....blah, blah, blah. I hate the media.

And of course if he adds ten pounds to put more on his frame they will say he's fat and will lose all his speed....

Lets face it other fans laugh at us when we say RGIII and Junior are the pioneers of this offense. Hell I got laugh at when i say if not for Ngata most likely we would be in this SB. But honestly who runs that offense better. The way RGIII handles that ball is magical, it give the D feats, hell it give the camera crews the same headaches just trying to follow the ball.

RGIII with a bump knee has us 14-0 against the Hawks. A healthy RGIII? forget about it.

Lets face it other fans laugh at us when we say RGIII and Junior are the pioneers of this offense. Hell I got laugh at when i say if not for Ngata most likely we would be in this SB. But honestly who runs that offense better. The way RGIII handles that ball is magical, it give the D feats, hell it give the camera crews the same headaches just trying to follow the ball.

RGIII with a bump knee has us 14-0 against the Hawks. A healthy RGIII? forget about it.

If RG3 didn't have a bum knee we would've blown them right the hell out, in a hurry.

Instead, the Robert’s play, and the offense that was crafted around him changed

the way “football people” in the NFL looked at the offensive side of the

football and gave players like Russell Wilson and Colin Kaepernick not just an

opportunity to play in the NFL, but to become superstars. While no one on the

national stage or from those respective franchises is acknowledging that

connection, it bears discussion and acclaim.

I agree that Griffin/Kyle helped change the way some people view offensive concepts in football.

However, I think we would be remiss to mention that Kaepernick was running the pistol and zone-read concepts as a rookie. And if we're being fair we have to give homage to Cam Newton and Carolina they ran read-option and some pistol concepts last year. And we would be dishonest if we didn't acknowledge the Tebow and McCoy success riding a read-option based offense to a playoff victory. These occurances imo were as pioneering to Griff/Kyle offense as their offense is to the rest of the league.

So, while I agree that Griff/Kyle offense doesn't get enough credit for the impact it had on the Seahawks and 49ers lets not make that same mistake.

Love RG 3, actually you above all people brought him to my attention and was into him since Nov 2011. RG 3 might just be too tough for his own good, he's fearless. Only thing I'd give Kaepernick and Wilson is they aren't fearless in the same way. I was at the Cincy game and watched him take a pounding and just kept getting up, Rocky like. It's great that the dude has guts like that but clearly it can shorten his career. Having said that, he's a smart guy and I expect him to take less risks.

As for the other posts from others about bragging rights/credit, etc. The media is big time short sighted, its what's ever hot this week. Kapernick is still playing so he will be all the hype. It doesn't bother me much though -- with this QB I don't think our seasons are going to be about bragging right forever, whose ROTY, the best this, the best that, we beat the Superbowl team, etc -- I think we are about to go on a road of being a perennial Superbowl contender where its about the team as opposed to individual stuff. Besides, when RG 3 is on and playing, the media loves him. He has way more personality than Wilson and Kaepernick. Wilson is a good leader but if you ever hear him miked up or interviewed, he's not mr. charisma.

Edit: Be interesting to see if he wins ROTY, he deserves it. I can live with it if its Wilson but it would be annoying if Luck wins. Luck if I recall the 30th ranked passer in the league, one of the worst in INTS, completion percentage and this all with an easy schedule. RG 3 and Wilson have much better stats and they played big teams -- Luck plays the Chiefs, Jacksonville, Tennessee, Lions, etc. Luck had a decent year but IMO not a great one.

Kiper picks Luck for ROTY because he says RG 3 had a much better supporting cast. Really -- Garcon and Davis missed half the year. Avery, Hilton, Wayne > Moss, Morgan, Hankerson. Kiper weeks earlier said that the Redskins have problems at WR when their top guy is Santana Moss. My point, I think the main thing Luck has going for him is the draft geek reporters who picked Luck as the better prospect before the draft IMO bottom line is to have their opinion proved right -- and if Luck wins ROTY its a big part of why.

Very good points. That's why I didn't too much about all the RG3 love on NFL N and ESPN, because I knew it was nothing like what the fans truly know and truly see. Why feed yourself that if it's phony? If RG3 believes it's about the team, then I'll support that. Until he makes it an issue, I'll be fine knowing, humbly, that he did his thing and lit the league on fire this season, with credits to Coach Kyle.

There's just no way to win this war against a hype machine media. You lose the more you feed into it.

and my man LL, why are the pics on the site and the thread distorted and flattened? :(

Very good points. That's why I didn't too much about all the RG3 love on NFL N and ESPN, because I knew it was nothing like what the fans truly know and truly see. Why feed yourself that if it's phony? If RG3 believes it's about the team, then I'll support that. Until he makes it an issue, I'll be fine knowing, humbly, that he did his thing and lit the league on fire this season, with credits to Coach Kyle.

There's just no way to win this war against a hype machine media. You lose the more you feed into it.

and my man LL, why are the pics on the site and the thread distorted and flattened? :(

Because I haven't found a easier way to resize pics yet.. Use this pixlr.com

aw no man we gotta hook you up man, we can't have that.

Right lol.. Hate using bro

---------- Post added January-26th-2013 at 12:17 AM ----------

Had a friend (Vikings fan, so he claimed he was "indifferent") try to convince me that Kaep has a better arm and is faster than a healthy RG3. I just had to laugh.

Kap is getting it done right now but he is not RG3.

---------- Post added January-26th-2013 at 12:17 AM ----------

Had a friend (Vikings fan, so he claimed he was "indifferent") try to convince me that Kaep has a better arm and is faster than a healthy RG3. I just had to laugh.

Kap is getting it done right now but he is not RG3.

Archived