Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How is RGIII? (merged)

Crazed Bengal

I was texting with a friend who is a doctor all game and he told me he didn't think it was an ACL based on the fall and Griff's walk after the game.

I have no medical background but IMO the knee doesn't seem like something you can easily brace, especially if you're trying to make a lot of cuts. He should've sat after that 1st quarter play. It was obvious to me that he was having trouble planting when throwing and definitely couldn't run.

Knees are indeed hard to brace. The brace he was wearing is a sleeve with a metal hinge on either side. The hinges are longer in top to bottom length to protect side to side movement, like cutting or pivoting. As we all saw, they are fairly useless for high level competition, as they really don't lock the knee in place and keep internal shifting out of the joint. Truth is they are great for everyday folks going to work or performing normal exercise, but less than adequate for an NFL level quarterback with a badly sprained LCL. Tough part is there isn't much more out there in the realm of bracing that would have been better.

They said Grade 1 of LCL should take between 2-4 weeks. Taking into account he's 22 (young), the treatment methods available today, etc, it was pretty clear that 2 weeks after the injury he was not even 75% of what he was before the injury. Sure, playing on it isn't going to help the healing time, but it's been a month since the injury and every week the guy has been gimping around the field.

Also, not to mention that every press conference Shanahan has said that Robert is 'close to 100%' - have you been buying that one, too?

2-4 weeks if he doesn't stress it.

Playing QB is a stress on the knee. It's not going to be 100%.

He was more susceptible to injury based on the damage to the lcl. It was a little too loose. He tweaked it again but based on him walking around its probably another grade 1 sprain... This time he's got the luxury of no games for a while. I expect him to be ready at mini camp

He was more susceptible to injury based on the damage to the lcl. It was a little too loose. He tweaked it again but based on him walking around its probably another grade 1 sprain... This time he's got the luxury of no games for a while. I expect him to be ready at mini camp

God I hope you're right. It would definitely take the sting off a bit if you're right.

**** thats not good. Let's say it's true, whats the recovery time for MCL?

No. It would be good. MCL requires rest and no surgery (I believe). 100% full strength by training camp. If it is his ACL we are talking 1 year and surgery.

For surgery and recovery? wow, that's encouraging.

according to this website...with an torn MCL, no surgery is needed

http://www.ucsfhealth.org/conditions/mcl_tear/treatment.html

Recovery times differ depending on the severity of the injury:

•A minor, or grade 1, MCL tear can take from a few days to a week and a half to heal sufficiently for you to return to normal activities, including sports.

•A grade 2 tear can take from two to four weeks to heal.

•A grade 3 tear usually takes from four to eight weeks to heal, unless it is associated with damage to the ACL, in which case the recovery time may be longer.

I don't think it was the ACL. Looked more like reinjuring the LCL or MCL. ACL injuries occur more when planted and twisting the knee. But I didn't go to school for that soooooo lol.......I am a lungs guy, if he had problems breathing I could lend my expert advise lol

Did read somewhere that he is walking with no limp at all and climbing the podium stairs like nothing happened. Maybe just aggravated the knee

The knee went sideways, which is kind of what happened when he originally injured the LCL. Usually ACLs, the knee bends backwards. I didn't see it bend backwards. I think he just aggrevated the LCL.

4-8 weeks
according to this website...with an torn MCL, no surgery is needed

http://www.ucsfhealth.org/conditions/mcl_tear/treatment.html

Recovery times differ depending on the severity of the injury:

•A minor, or grade 1, MCL tear can take from a few days to a week and a half to heal sufficiently for you to return to normal activities, including sports.

•A grade 2 tear can take from two to four weeks to heal.

•A grade 3 tear usually takes from four to eight weeks to heal, unless it is associated with damage to the ACL, in which case the recovery time may be longer.

You left out the part about other injury to the knee and that this is in addition to a reaggrivation of an LCL injury.

Less than two months is just magical thinking and it's annoying that this is the information that you found. Not that you did anything wrong; you're just posting what you saw.

Well it depends on the level and severity to better gauge recovery and rehabilitation time.

If MCL, it could possibly be Grade 1, II or III. The higher the grade, the higher the possibility he may have a combination of both MCL and ACL. Worst case, if he has both MCL and ACL, we could be looking at 1 year of recovery. If it is a "minor" Grade 1 MCL, we are talking weeks.

Just wait and see what the docs say.

The knee went sideways, which is kind of what happened when he originally injured the LCL. Usually ACLs, the knee bends backwards. I didn't see it bend backwards. I think he just aggrevated the LCL.

It did look like it bent sideways but the other way than the lcl did so I'm thinking mcl but prob a sprain... I feel confident he will participate in mini camp but I'm anxiously awaiting MRI results like everyone else

You left out the part about other injury to the knee and that this is in addition to a reaggrivation of an LCL injury.

Less than two months is just magical thinking and it's annoying that this is the information that you found. Not that you did anything wrong; you're just posting what you saw.

If I am wrong I am sorry, I just google recovery time on a torn MCL and this is what came up

Well, not an expert in MCL, but have torn my ACL and, AP nonwithstanding, the doctors who operated on my knee told me it would take a year to be fully recovered. As far as seeing him walking on the sidelines and such....that is not a huge deal as I tore my ACL playing softball, and after the initial moments spent on the ground wondering what had happened, I returned to the game (catcher, and had to keep my injured leg extended due to the swelling) to continue to play. I had no clue what I had done to my knee. The next day I went on a work related trip.....did not get the knee looked at for another week. Not saying that to impress anyone, just to say that merely because RGIII was up and walking around really does not mean anything as far as what could have happened to his knee. Also, I read on ESPN that he was having difficulty dressing due to his knee and potential loss of stability. That is not good.....

From the looks of the picture of his knee "flexing" wrong, I would think some ligament has been popped. And, no I am not a doctor (but I did sleep at a Holiday inn Express). Just wonder about how bad the initial injury was vs the buzzards now, and was the advice of Dr. Andrews followed in recovery.

Archived