Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If you could bring back any politician...

Spaceman Spiff

Talking with my Mom earlier today about how bad our current elected leaders are. She is a Fox News loving diehard conservative...in other words, she wouldn't last long in a Tailgate debate ;) I pretty much hate everyone, think they're in it for themselves, will say anything to anyone to make sure they get a vote and stay employed. Pretty disgusted at the political climate in this country.

The article that spurned the conversation was: http://www.politico.com/story/2013/01/the-fiscal-cliff-deal-that-almost-wasnt-85663.html?hp=f1

Which I find pretty pathetic. House Speaker is telling the Senate Majority leader to "Go **** yourself?" I think it speaks to the problem in this country on a few levels, but primarily the lack of common decency and respect between the two parties.

I made the comment that...maybe history tends to romance former politicians as time has passed, but it certainly doesn't seem like we have good people in office these days. Which made me think...if you could bring back any politician or two and put them back in their position, who would you bring back and why?

i would bring back the days when designation "the great compromiser" (henry clay) was a statement of respect and admiration, rather than scorn and derision.

This is no assessment on whether Henry Clay overall is somebody to respect or hate, but yes... respect for people willing to compromise? that needs to come back

Eh, people have always been people. ******* politicians before, ******* politicians now. Jefferson vs Adams was brutal for example. And just last night I was reading the wiki page on a former Mississippi governor and senator by the name of Theodore Bilbo (served 20's-40's). Read this and tell me things were better then:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theodore_G._Bilbo

Here's one story that kinda touches on your point. But trust me, this is might be the least offensive thing on Senator Bilbo's wiki

Harrison’s campaign manager asked Bilbo to consider voting for his fellow Mississippian. Bilbo, whose base was among tenant farmers, hated the upper-class Harrison, who represented the rich planters and merchants. Bilbo said he would vote for Harrison only if he were personally asked. Harrison replied, "Tell the son of a ***** I wouldn’t speak to him even if it meant the presidency of the United States."”[18]*Harrison lost by one vote, 37-to-38, and his reputation as the senator who wouldn’t speak to his home-state colleague remained intact

Here the intro on his page with a quick breakdown. Just think it does show that in many respects, we've gotten a lot better.

Theodore Gilmore Bilbo*(October 13, 1877*– August 21, 1947) was an*American politician. Bilbo, a*Democrat, twice served as*governor*ofMississippi*(1916–20, 1928–32) and later was elected a*U.S. Senator*(1935–47).

A master of filibuster and scathing rhetoric, a rough-and-tumble fighter in debate, he made his name a synonym for*white supremacy. Proud of being aracist, Bilbo believed that black people were inferior, defended*segregation, and was a member of the*Ku Klux Klan.[1][2]

Of short stature (5*ft 2*in, 1.57*m), Bilbo wore flashy clothing, and was nicknamed "The Man" because he tended to refer to himself in the*third person.[3]

Bilbo was the author of*Take Your Choice: Separation or Mongrelization.[4]

That doesn't mean we should be happy with what we got now though. Because we can do better and we deserve better as a Nation. I know you're not trying to have a partisan thread here but I'll just say, when your whole premise for existing and what you scream at people nonstop to get their support is that the other guys urs anti-American and an enemy of the country, how are you now going to turn around and show him respect and work with him to get things done? They've painted themselves in a corner with that rhetoric and now were all paying a price.

I also think just saying, well everyone does it and both sides suck, is also a HUGE part of the problem. How are people held responsible then?

Anyway, if I could bring back anyone I think it would be the Roosevelts. My appreciation for FDR really grown over the last few months. The guy was funny as hell, he was a fighter and he called it how it was. Always hear these days about how Dems are spineless? Yeah, he was the opposite. I'll post some vids when I get home

Eh, people have always been people. ******* politicians before, ******* politicians now. Jefferson vs Adams was brutal for example. And just last night I was reading the wiki page on a former Mississippi governor and senator by the name of Theodore Bilbo (served 20's-40's). Read this and tell me things were better then:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theodore_G._Bilbo

Anyway, if I could bring back anyone I think it would be the Roosevelts. My appreciation for FDR has really grown over the last few months. The guy was funny as hell, he was a fighter and he called it how it was. Always hear these days about how Dems are spineless? Yeah, he was the opposite. I'll post some vids when I get home

I'd be ornery if my last name was Bilbo.

Okay, it's been long enough, bring back Ron Paul....

"In just a few days, Congress will solemnly swear to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against ALL enemies, foreign and domestic. They should reread Article 1 Section 8 and the Bill of Rights before taking such a serious oath. Most legislation violates key provisions of the Constitution in very basic ways, and if members can’t bring themselves to say no in the face of pressure from special interests, they have broken trust with their constituents and violated their oaths. Congress does not exist to serve special interests, it exists to protect the rule of law." - Ron Paul 1/1/2013

i would bring back the days when designation "the great compromiser" (henry clay)

He caused the civil war. his compromise of 1852 removed congressional oversite on the interstate slave trade and made the north have to take an interest in slavery or suffer slaves in their cities.

"In just a few days, Congress will solemnly swear to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against ALL enemies, foreign and domestic. They should reread Article 1 Section 8 and the Bill of Rights before taking such a serious oath. Most legislation violates key provisions of the Constitution in very basic ways, and if members can’t bring themselves to say no in the face of pressure from special interests, they have broken trust with their constituents and violated their oaths. Congress does not exist to serve special interests, it exists to protect the rule of law." - Ron Paul 1/1/2013

In that quote, Ron Paul is talking common sense (as per usual with him). However, none of the members in the House and the Senate (with the exception of about 3) care about the American people or holding up their oaths, so Dr. Paul is talking to deaf ears here.

But to answer the question, I'd go with either Thomas Jefferson or Ron Paul.

Ron Paul is an idiot idea-log who is proposing we return to an economy at the dawn of the industrial age. You know a time when 1 out of 11 steal workers could expect to die on the job in any given year.. The good old days..

Worse he is just patently wrong when he says such things as "Most legislation violates key provisions of the Constitution". We have an entire branch of government to ensure this doesn't occur... What Paul should have said is "I think Most legislation violates key provisions of the Constitution"... Which really tells you what a deep thinker the man is ------ NOT.

Ron Paul is refreshing because he's consistent. He's a simple man with simple solutions to complex problems. The major problems is the simple solutions he's prescribing are known to not work, cause we tried them all 50-100 years ago and they caused more problems than they solved.

I'd love to see Eisenhower with today's GOP.

---------- Post added January-4th-2013 at 12:42 PM ----------

Also would love to see Nixon get another shot. He could've done so much. Hell he did so much. But he just absolutely killed his entire legacy. I wonder if the Information Age would've relaxed his paranoia or exploded it to even more epic heights (if that's even possible).

Archived