Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anonymous vs. Westboro Baptist

Spaceman Spiff

The thing about the Westboro Baptist Church is that there really isn't a way to fight them without get yourself in jail (i.e. killing/harming members). Since they're a Baptist Church, there's no governing body they answer to and any attention they get (good or bad) is a victory in their eyes.

This "church" is a blight upon the land and I hope someone they will be purged.

The thing about the Westboro Baptist Church is that there really isn't a way to fight them without get yourself in jail (i.e. killing/harming members). Since they're a Baptist Church, there's no governing body they answer to and any attention they get (good or bad) is a victory in their eyes.

This "church" is a blight upon the land and I hope someone they will be purged.

They're like kids who are misbehaving. They crave attention. Any and all attention fuels their fire. I don't consider them a church.

Leviticus 19:18 Thou shalt not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the children of thy people, but thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself: I am the LORD. You missed the point. So go and picket someone elses funeral. Noone will be at yours.

Outside of their physical destruction, none of this serves any use. If anything it is counter productive as it provides them with media attention.

Westboro do not need a functioning website to be effective as only their inner circle is interested in the details of what they do.

If anonymous could physically destroy their equipment and remove all their financial assets, then it might be worthwhile.

I think you are underestimating the power of social media and the internet. Sure it might not be as effective as destroying their physcial assests, but for sure is causing them stress in every sense of the word and that's the goal and the cherry on top for anonymous is no one is getting caught or going to jail.

I am certain that this is a purposeful attempt by Anonymous to rehabilitate their public image.

Yeah, those two words should never be in the same sentence ... these guys, I think, could care less about what others think about them. They are not selling widgets.

Didn't anonymous declare that they were going to destroy Facebook and then did absolutely nothing? I'm going to wait and see if they actually do anything this time before I give them any credit.

It was reported that imposters made the threats against Facebook. http://www.forbes.com/sites/parmyolson/2011/08/11/why-the-anonymous-facebook-plot-was-a-dud/

But your point is well taken, along with that of Corcaigh above. What can you really do to a group like WBC?

I don't like them, and I don't like the fact that they feel they can choose to play the role of judge, jury, etc when it comes to "Fighting the man" or whatever they want to call it. Sometimes I do find myself silently clapping whenever people who do crazy, immoral **** are outed publicly, but it all changes when they post someones info, and someone finds them and kills them because of the info they posted.

And I'm not one to trust people, or organizations with the kind of power/talent/smarts/whatever like them, especially if they are trying to do something to gain a groundswell of support, which (if successful) would probably lead some people to view them as "Good guys," which would probably empower them to do more things that could potentially cross the line. I honestly think they are out for themselves, and could really care less about much else. No group of people like that should ever be viewed in a positive light.

Yeah, those two words should never be in the same sentence ... these guys, I think, could care less about what others think about them. They are not selling widgets.

Lol. People can name their organizations whatever they want. If Anonymous (big A) wanted to be anonymous (little a), they wouldn't send out so many press releases.

and on and on and on.

But they do.

I think like anything there is a risk that some bad can come of it. I'm just talking in terms of them vs. Westboro. If these guys can make it harder on them to spread hate. If they can help finally expose that they are a hate group rather than a church and get rid of whatever protections they get from being classified as one. I'm fine with that.

I actually don't condone this...particularly when it ultimately isn't going to do a darn thing to WBC. I very much dislike WBC and what it stands for, but this won't help. Personally, I'd like to find a legal way to take the WBC out, which likely will never happen.

Anonymous is scary because half the time they are robin hood, and the other half of the time they are nothing more than malevolent internet trolls.

This. If it wasn't for the first time they went after Westboro, people would have a much less favourable opinion of them. Its basically a bunch of sheep with ion cannon installed on their computers run by a couple elites with heads that have gotten too big for their body. But that's just my opinion.

http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/technolog/anonymous-attacks-alarming-says-top-security-adviser-196804

Anonymous attacks 'alarming,' says top security adviser

The vigilante group known as Anonymous has claimed credit for yet another of its weekly cyber attacks, fueling high level concerns among U.S. national security officials that the so-called “hackivists” are posing an increasing threat to government and private sector websites and computer systems.

“What we’ve seen from Anonymous is alarming,” Michael Leiter, the former director of the National Counter-Terrorism Center and a member of a US. Government advisory board on cybersecurity, said in an interview. “Their ability to repeatedly take down government websites and potentially penetrate those websites shows that the group is quite committed — and growing in its ability to perpetrate cyber attacks.”

I honestly dont understand the logic of the Westboro Baptist Church. They have the right to beleive what they want. They have the right to share those beliefs with others. It seems their goal is to get other people to hate homosexuality. I get that - Freedom of speech. They can beleive and say what they want. But what i dont get, is what theyre actually trying to accomplish. How do they think they will convince ANYONE to join them by picketting the funerals of soldiers and murdered children. All they do is make themselves look bad. I suppose that since theyre all crazy hate-mongers, there is no logical explanation for their actions.

What jury would award them money?

most cases never go to a jury,yet they still get legal fees since many are lawyers and paralegals

Civil Right’s Attorney Fees Award Act of 1976 (legal fees paid in civil rights cases)probably is the main source of funds,but they do get settlements as well

Archived