Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES: Not your same old Redskins anymore

themurf

8280560714_4ed0202c39.jpg

(photo by Brian Murphy)

Because the Washington Redskins used to be one of the most successful teams in the NFL, some 'Skins fans struggle to see the franchise for what has become over the last two decades -- decidedly mediocre.

Winning three Super Bowls in a relatively short timeframe propelled the Redskins -- at least in the hearts and minds of the local sports fans -- to a level no other sports franchise will ever be able to replicate.

Even when things were at their worst and the team's front office thought trying to buy a championship was a sound strategy, there was always a large (and loud) slice of the fanbase that remained convinced the Redskins were just one more shortcut away from returning to dominance.

Of course, that hasn't really worked out so well, has it?

For 20 years, the faces and names changed, but the results remained the same. Since the day Hall of Famer Joe Gibbs walked away (the first time), the burgundy and gold have been stuck in neutral. Nothing management tried ever seemed to pay off and no one ever stuck with a plan long enough to see it all of the way through.

It's funny, you see a hapless franchise like the Cleveland Browns and you can't help but feel sorry for the sad sacks who root for them. The rest of the football loving world knows the Browns will always remain at the kid's table, but their fans still remain committed to the cause.

Well, here's the funny thing -- the Redskins and the Browns haven't been all that different. Both teams had some success back in the day, but recent history has been far less kind.

Case in point: Prior to this season, both the Redskins and the Browns have posted a winning season just twice since 2000. The Redskins earned just two trips to the postseason during that timeframe, while the Browns made it just once.

From 2000-11, the Redskins employed seven different head coaches while going 81-111. The Browns have had six different head coaches while going 66-126.

Even with the benefit of Joe Gibbs 2.0, the Redskins haven't been all that much better than inept Brownies.

Honestly, the biggest difference between the Redskins and the Browns over the last decade or so is that the Redskins spend twice as much to win the same number of games as Cleveland. But if you'd have stopped to ask fans in any of the other 30 NFL cities, they'd have been quick to tell you that no one fears either of these rudderless franchises.

In short, both the Redskins and the Browns have been bad at football for a long, long time.

Until now.

When Redskins owner Daniel Snyder hired Mike Shanahan prior to the 2010 season, he hoped the two-time Super Bowl winning coach could help Washington return to glory.

During his 18 seasons in Denver, Shanahan had a knack for getting the most out of his players -- particularly no-name running backs -- and besides, the Redskins were in dire need of a credible leader after Jim Zorn inherited a playoff team and ran it into the ground.

Shanahan knew this wasn't going to be a quick fix and said so up front -- telling Snyder if he didn't plan to give Shanahan all five of the years on his contract to rebuild the Redskins from the ground up, then he wasn't the right man for the job.

And boy was he right. Shanahan's first two seasons in Washington were statistically worse than Zorn's maroon and black or Steve Spurrier's fun and gun.

He overhauled the league's oldest roster and got rid of the problem children in the locker room, but the loses still piled up. After his first two seasons, the Redskins were just 11-21 and the natives were beyond restless.

After all, if the guy was willing to "stake his reputation" on a bum like John Beck or a turnover machine like Rex Grossman, then why should anyone ever believe this guy has a chance of saving this sinking ship.

But then Shanahan pushed all of his chips in the middle and went all in on a player he believed could be his franchise quarterback. Sure, it cost and arm and a leg, but it was worth it to land Baylor's Robert Griffin III.

Not only does he use his cannon of an arm and his world class speed to play an electrifying brand of football that the Redskins have never experienced before, but he's also a natural-born leader and a model citizen who fans young and old can be proud to root for.

From the moment he first stepped onto the field in our nation's capital, everything changed.

Even when the Redskins stumbled -- losing to teams like the St. Louis Rams and Carolina Panthers -- it was clear that this team was building towards something special. Simply having Griffin in the lineup gave Washington a chance to win each and every time they took the field.

That's why so many people keep trying to put him in bubble wrap every time he takes a particularly nasty hit or fights for an extra yard. But a crazy thing happened along the way -- the Redskins, even without RGIII, started to look like a respectable opponent.

This past Sunday, they traveled to Cleveland to face an improved Browns team that had won three-straight games and held five of the last seven opposing quarterbacks to under 200 passing yards without the services of Griffin.

If they were going to keep their playoff hopes alive, they were going to have to do so without the face of the franchise and without much of the innovative offense that has kept defenses looking foolish for much of the season. Because let's face it: Kirk Cousins is a talented rookie in his own right, but he's not going to be able the same style of offense as Griffin.

So the Redskins switched back to a more traditional NFL offense and still posted 38 points for the third time this season. And now the Redskins control their own destiny and have a very legitimate chance to host a playoff game at FedEx Field for just the second time since the stadium opened in '97.

Meanwhile, Browns fans remain as distraught as ever. As I left the stadium and headed to the airport to fly hope after Washington's victory, I was stunned by how familiar Cleveland's sports talk radio sounded to me.

"Fire the GM."

"Fire the head coach."

"Get rid of the quarterback."

"Bench the running back."

"It's time to dump everyone and start over from scratch."

If I didn't know better, it sounded just like any post-game after a disappointing Redskins loss over the last 20 years. The crazy part was, caller after caller continued to point to the Redskins as a model franchise that they'd love to see their Browns try to emulate.

They wished their talent evaluators could land talented players such as fourth round draft pick Kirk Cousins and sixth rounder Alfred Morris. One local diehard even talked about how he would have traded Cleveland's two first round picks from this year's draft (running back Trent Richardson and quarterback Brandon Weeden) to Washington for Cousins.

Let me say that again -- Browns fans were willing to trade away two first rounders for Washington's backup quarterback. Did you ever think that would happen back when Vinny Cerrato was pissing away multiple draft picks on aging veterans or receivers who weren't any good?

But things are different now. This is the dawn of a new day and Shanahan's Redskins have officially arrived.

No longer are the Redskins a laughingstock of the NFL. Instead, they're a team no one wants to play against and other franchises want to copy.

These aren't exactly the glory days again, but they're much improved over what's passed for football over the last two decades. So do yourself a favor and enjoy this. It's been a long and painful journey, but for the first time in a long time, the future is looking pretty bright in Washington.

Hail.

Great write-up Murph, as usual. That's why this season has been so fantastic...the drama. It's been unreal. We've had five must win games in a row, and now we have two more.

The most exciting thing about this squad is that we are young. Just scratching the surface fellas...gonna be one hell of a ride.

Most don't believe me when I say this, but I remember watching the Super Bowl when I was three years old with my dad and I've been a fan ever since. This is truly the most excited I've ever been as a fan.

Even when the Redskins stumbled -- losing to teams like the St. Louis Rams and Carolina Panthers -- it was clear that this team was building towards something special. Simply having Griffin in the lineup gave Washington a chance to win each and every time they took the field.

Clear!?! Or was it you did the smart thing and stayed the heck away from this place after those losses? :ols:

Great read as usual, though, murph!

Great read! Only mistake was saying that the Browns had success back in the day but recently not so much. The Cleveland team that had that success plays in Baltimore now. In fact, now that I think about it...we just played the Browns twice in a row: first the Baltimore Browns, then the Cleveland Browns! Ha!

Well done, murph. I have been trying to share what it feels like with long-time friends on the left coast who haven't care about the Redskins in the slightest their whole life, or (with the under 40 group) don't really know them as other than a perennial joke.

But one thing they all do now, is talk about the Redskins, and talk a lot. :)

And it's not just RG3 anymore, who already is like an instant legend to these west coasters, and who is as much lauded for his persona as his football skills.

They talk about Mike Shanahan in glowing terms.

They know Kyle's name and talk about the "amazing offense."

They talk about AlMo being a "killer back" and our drafting as "genius."

They talk about our "great o-line" (I know, right?)

They talk about Griffin/Garcon being a possible Manning/Harrison.

Sure, in their benign lack of serious Redskins awareness they maybe exaggerate a tad :D with this shiny new item of football interest.

But what a difference to me.

Living in the places I've lived, talk like this hasn't been going on since 90-91.

50 years I've been devotedly watching (or listening to) the Redskins play.

The ups and downs of this team go back more than 25 years. Or 35 years. Or 45 years. :)

This is far and away the best I've felt about them since our last SB year.

Thanks for another great write-up, amigo. :point2sky

I used to watch that last superbowl on VHS when I got home from the third grade. I'm 29 now and I finally feel like things are coming back around. Been a fan since I was pretending to be Art Monk on a double move out in the playground. My faith in the team has never wavered but it has been tough at times. Hopefully we can continue on this path with the Shanahan's and keep the high quality, high effort players here for years to come.

HTTR

But these are the glory days. The glory days aren't 5 years from now when everybody has jumped on the bandwagon and is disappointed when we drop one to the cowboys in a 13-3 season. The glory days are watching this thing grow. Having a true appreciation for its value because we paid the price in tears. My son is 15 and he's been at my side cheering for this craphole of a team since he was 5. I can tell you that there few things that give me the kind of joy I experience when I see the twinkle every Sunday morning. He's paid that price, and for him, and for me, there are no better days to watch this team.

Hail my friends

Great read. We still have to win the next 2 games to seal the deal.

---------- Post added December-18th-2012 at 07:21 AM ----------

But these are the glory days. The glory days aren't 5 years from now when everybody has jumped on the bandwagon and is disappointed when we drop one to the cowboys in a 13-3 season. The glory days are watching this thing grow. Having a true appreciation for its value because we paid the price in tears. My son is 15 and he's been at my side cheering for this craphole of a team since he was 5. I can tell you that there few things that give me the kind of joy I experience when I see the twinkle every Sunday morning. He's paid that price, and for him, and for me, there are no better days to watch this team.

Hail my friends

Amen. Been in the Navy for 16 years and I have taken crap for being a skins fan but I stayed true. I'm so happy right now but we still have a long way to go.

I am 20 years old. Since I was 5 I have been cheering for the Redskins (and the Capitals). My entire life I have known nothing but losing and embarrassment. At least the Redskins have a storied past unlike the Stanley Cup-less Caps, but it is a past to which I have such little connection given my age. I grew up being made fun of for my loyalties, even though I grew up in Northern Virginia. I would get so angry at the lack of support. I remember in third grade writing a journal entry in class about Norv Turner getting fired. I can't even conceptualize what it would be like to win a championship. Most of my life I've seen my teams disrespected by the media, by other players, by my peers in my own hometown.

I can't begin to describe what it's like watching this team grow. For the first time in my entire life, I have this belief that things are going to come together, that there really is a light at the end of the tunnel and reaching it will be inevitable. I didn't feel this in the 2005 run, the 2007 run, the Caps' 2008 or 2009 runs, the Nats' run, but I feel it with this team. Hearing the media give props to the Skins is surreal. I still dream and get goosebumps thinking about the day I watch one of my teams, one of the communities with which I feel that spiritual bond, win a championship. I don't know how I'll feel. I don't know how I'll react. But I do know that I believe I will find out with this team, and I do know that I will enjoy every minute of this sweet, sweet journey.

Hail.

Shanahan was getting plenty of grief for his "evaluating players" statement prior to the team ripping off 5 victories and getting in the hunt. I think it was a genius move by a master player. He hit them in the butt with a hot poker then smacked them on the back with a retraction. It was brilliant.

Hail my friends

Think what was it like for Redskins fan in 1971.

After years of suffering we finally see good chemistry flowing through our Redskins. Everything feels so positive and good. I hope those that didn't get to witness the glory years will finally feel some of what made those years so damn special.

It's a very good sign when this team can roll along without RG3. Bravo Kyle! Bravo!

Nice read...enjoyed it..I was talking w/a young Skins fan in the bar on Sunday..he was 4y/o when we won our last SB..not only did I feel old (lol..) but I felt bad for him...I don't know how we got new fans along the way..I would assume most were raised as Skins fans by us hard core parents...but he was so excited at our 5 wins in a row and the possibility of playoff football..I was giddy myself just listening to him and thinking.."when was the last time it felt this good to be a Skins fan?" I actually got high fives all around from the other skins fans in the bar..that hasn't happened in ages...I love this team..good, bad and the ugly...but I'm especially proud to wear the B&G at this moment...people are actually coveting our QB & RB..lol...yes!

Most don't believe me when I say this, but I remember watching the Super Bowl when I was three years old with my dad and I've been a fan ever since. This is truly the most excited I've ever been as a fan.

We probably became fans of this team on the same exact day in the same exact scenario (Except it was my uncle instead of my dad) 20 years later and its finally paying off.

Archived