Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Deadspin: Twitter idiots respond to NBC Pre-empting SNF

Spaceman Spiff

There has always been a lot of stupid people all across the world. Now, thanks to the hard work of smart people, they have a voice that can be more widely heard.

And, thanks to the rampant narcissism of this age, most of today's idiots think they should be heard. Everyone's talking, but so few are actually listening.

I find it, i don't know, off-putting, that people fail to realize that perhaps he held the speech near the start of the game in order to have the largest audience possible? This was a tragedy that affects the entire nation, so of course he would want to make it possible for the entire nation to see it.

And even if they do realize it, they value the first 10 minutes of a football game so highly that they then degrade the president publicly for cutting into it.

The close-mindedness and knee-jerk tendencies of some never fail to leave me at a loss.

It wasn't the White House's decision to hold a vigil on Sunday night during Sunday Night Football.

There was no strategic timing of the President's speech for maximum national effect. The town's religious leaders put a vigil together on the Sunday after the incident and invited the President to attend and speak, which he did. The reason the interuption even came during the game in the first place was that the President took longer meeting with the families who lost loved ones than he expected, delaying the ceremony, which led with about 12 different religious leaders offering words and prayers.

The decision to preempt SNF was exclusively NBC's. They (rightfully) believed the newsworthiness of the President's speech outweighed their own significant financial interest in broadcasting the NFL.

Most just seem pissed and not racist. I'd be angry too if it were a redskins game and I didn't know they had it on another channel. It's pretty messed up that people who are simply cursing are being lumped in with super racists. That's the worst part of it that I see.

---------- Post added December-17th-2012 at 06:25 AM ----------

Some are bigots, but most don't prove themselves to be. So hooray for Deadspin.

Also, twitter's a pretty immediate forum for opinions. I'd venture to guess that most just ran to twitter and made a post before actually paying attention long enough to see that the game was on another channel. Most of those posts weren't a big deal IMO. But the fact that they're lumped in with people using the N word makes them all look like racists, which is more disgusting.

I worry about such 'injustice" less that I will about any attempts to constantly minimize and justify and excuse idiotic and pathetically childish (as in tantrum) self-indulgent behavior (which seems to be our most unifying national trait).

If such idiots get swept up with bigots a time or two and suffer for it, I'm good.

I'd love to live in a culture where intelligence and respectable behavior (not all the time :D) as a default is prized, and ****-talking "all about me" ego-soaked attitudes and general ignorance-plus-arrogance was despised, but I don't.

Not chewing on you, amigo--I think you're a sharp guy and a fine poster.

(and get those kids off my lawn, would you please?)

And, thanks to the rampant narcissism of this age, most of today's idiots think they should be heard. Everyone's talking, but so few are actually listening.

I preferred the pre-Twitter days when so many idiots would create blogs with their opinions and every post would show from the Comments (0) indicator that no-one gave a **** about the blogger's thoughts. :ols:

As I said in the other thread, there were a lot of angry people. Some were racist, some weren't. On the other forum, many people were legitimately mad and said it was a bad decision. They claimed that "Not everyone gets CNBC." Pretty sure CNBC is available on virtually all basic cable packages. It's just people being lazy. They warned in advance that the game would be shifted. It's the first quarter. You can logically check NBC Sports Network for it, or CNBC.

Even if you didn't have cable and didn't know that they'd change...what right do you have to criticize the President for pre-empting football...to talk about a tragedy? Some people should put what's important in perspective.

After I tweeted about what a good decision it was, I got the following message.

http://twitter.com/Whoda19/statuses/280489306768957441

@ixcuincle no bro, football is entertainment to escape reality. This just brought me down.

Reality is harsh. Reality sucks. We have to deal with it. Period.

The president's speech reinforced what really matters in life, not some stupid game. Our loved ones are the ones that are actually important, our family, our children. Not some game.

I can not stand when deadspin does posts like this. Why do we need to give these morons the time of day?

A lot of those brilliant people closed their Twitter accounts. One guy got suspended from his university football team because of what he posted.

They post it because they want to be left alone. After they're exposed, their lives are ruined. Take that for what you will.

A lot of those brilliant people closed their Twitter accounts. One guy got suspended from his university football team because of what he posted.

They post it because they want to be left alone. After they're exposed, their lives are ruined. Take that for what you will.

I'm not sure what the "they want to be left alone" bit is getting at, but regardless I have a hard time feeling sympathy for such heartless individuals.

Not that I want to see anyone's life ruined, but people should feel the consequences of their words and deeds. Our reactive attitudes are a big part (if not the very essence) of our morality. People say/do bad things, society reacts, and people learn not to say/do bad things.

It saddens me their are people in the world who have so little common decency as to act like this, hopefully feeling the repercussions* will teach them better.

* Repercussions such as public criticism, university sanctions, negative effect on one's social status, loss of job, and so on. I don't mean anything like vigilantism or mob justice. Considering all the crazy things I see, I thought it would behoove me to make this distinction.

I find it, i don't know, off-putting, that people fail to realize that perhaps he held the speech near the start of the game in order to have the largest audience possible? This was a tragedy that affects the entire nation, so of course he would want to make it possible for the entire nation to see it.

And even if they do realize it, they value the first 10 minutes of a football game so highly that they then degrade the president publicly for cutting into it.

The close-mindedness and knee-jerk tendencies of some never fail to leave me at a loss.

They must believe that NASA faked the moon landing too. He was the final person to speak at a ceremony that took about 1 1/2 hours because, you know, he's the President. About a 1/2 dozen clergy from all faiths prayed and spoke during the event, with moments of silence interdisbursed. He wasn't the only one speaking. Are you saying they timed the President's talk to intentionally go off at kickoff for maximum visibility? You're right sort of off putting seeing as every channel except of E! Entertainment carried the feed.

Yep, the best thing about the Internet is that everyone has a voice. The worst thing is that everyone has a voice.

Bingo. And nowhere is that more true than on Twitter, where you can easily find the Ignorance All-Stars from towns across the country by searching for racial slurs.

Reality is harsh. Reality sucks. We have to deal with it. Period.

And some people deal with it by deciding to watch football instead of having it shoved in our faces every waking minute of the day. There are like 50 other news channels that were dealing with it, as well as some of NBC's affiliates.

The president's speech reinforced what really matters in life, not some stupid game. Our loved ones are the ones that are actually important, our family, our children. Not some game.

Oh yea, because without that speech, no one would know what really matters in life...

Not that I support the comments made by those idiots on twitter (because I don't), but I just don't want to see Obama talk about something I really know already.. I can kind of see why some people were pissed (as was I, but I actually changed the channel).

Not that I support the comments made by those idiots on twitter (because I don't), but I just don't want to see Obama talk about something I really know already.. I can kind of see why some people were pissed (as was I, but I actually changed the channel).

I bolded the changed the channel part. Because every single person had the ability to do that. Instead of ****ing about it, change the channel! Problem solved.

I tuned in to watch a football game, not a presidental address. Every single channel was showing the address - its not like the world would have ended if NBC showed the game. Let people go to CNBC, CBS, ABC, FOX, CNN, etc. to watch the presidental address.

I am also irritated that some of you say people with my opinion should put things in perspective. If the Presidental address was so important, then why was the game being played then? Why didnt they pause the game so the players and fans in the stadium could watch the address, or not start the game until after the address?

I tuned in to watch a football game, not a presidental address. Every single channel was showing the address - its not like the world would have ended if NBC showed the game. Let people go to CNBC, CBS, ABC, FOX, CNN, etc. to watch the presidental address.

I am also irritated that some of you say people with my opinion should put things in perspective. If the Presidental address was so important, then why was the game being played then? Why didnt they pause the game so the players and fans in the stadium could watch the address, or not start the game until after the address?

Take it up with NBC.

They are the ones who actually paid for the rights to broadcast the NFL (and paid billions of dollars to do it), and yet they voluntarily moved it to another network when the President began to speak at a vigil, outweighing their own costs with what they perceived to be the newsworthiness of the address.

And yes, perspective is called for when people are:

a) too effing lazy to change the channel TO ANOTHER NETWORK THAT IS SHOWING THE GAME, and;

B) so self-centered that they publicly broadcasted bigotry in the face of a national tragedy because their lives were slightly inconvenienced by missing 10 minutes of the first quarter of a regular season football game.

They were showing the game on CNBC. They even warned everyone that the game could be seen on CNBC. If ABC and CBS are going to show the address, then of course NBC is going to do the same. That's how it works.

Football can wait if the President makes a short speech after one of the most horrifying tragedies in the past decade.

Take it up with NBC.

They are the ones who actually paid for the rights to broadcast the NFL (and paid billions of dollars to do it), and yet they voluntarily moved it to another network when the President began to speak at a vigil, outweighing their own costs with what they perceived to be the newsworthiness of the address.

And yes, perspective is called for when people are:

a) too effing lazy to change the channel TO ANOTHER NETWORK THAT IS SHOWING THE GAME, and;

B) so self-centered that they publicly broadcasted bigotry in the face of a national tragedy because their lives were slightly inconvenienced by missing 10 minutes of the first quarter of a regular season football game.

I agree racist comments are completely out of line. I also know its NBCs decision to make. My point is that news should be on CNBC and football should be on NBC. it just seems kinda "backwards" to do things the way they did. Still, its their decision to make. In my case, i was not at home and had set the game up to record. My DVR did not have the intelligence to know it should switch to another channel and then switch back, so i missed about 10-15 minutes of the game. Its not the end of the world, but i would have preferred if NBC kept the entire game on NBC so i could have watched the entire game.

I agree racist comments are completely out of line. I also know its NBCs decision to make. My point is that news should be on CNBC and football should be on NBC. it just seems kinda "backwards" to do things the way they did. Still, its their decision to make. In my case, i was not at home and had set the game up to record. My DVR did not have the intelligence to know it should switch to another channel and then switch back, so i missed about 10-15 minutes of the game. Its not the end of the world, but i would have preferred if NBC kept the entire game on NBC so i could have watched the entire game.

Clearly NBC felt that it was more important to have the speech available to a larger audience, so they played it on network TV.

I also assume that the other networks were also carrying the speech (though someone can correct me if need be) and NBC didn't want to risk losing viewers who'd flip over to another channel to watch the speech, then stay on one of those channels instead of coming back to NBC to watch football.

Archived