• Blog Entries

• By TK in ES Coverage
      The Redskins have opened their 2019 season with two losses. Both against Divisional foes. Now they get to close out Week 3 at home on Monday Night against the visiting 1-1 Chicago Bears. The Bears don't have much of an offense but seem to have what may be an elite defense.

On the flip side, the Redskins have a developing passing attack and a disastrous defense. The Redskins haven't had a Defense this vanilla since Mike Nolan received his ice cream. Oh, and the Redskins already have more guys on IR then any other team this season. 

Will the Redskins finally put one in the win column? 

As usual, poll closes at kickoff. Go vote!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ggarriso

Is there any scenario where the Dallas Skins game has NO playoff implications?

We didn't get any help from the Steelers today, but the Giants collapsed, so it's cool. We win next week and the NFC playoff picture will be finalized at FedEx.

Outside of our divisional opposition, its always the frickin ravens or stealers always screwing us over somehow. I've never hated 2 teams (outside of our division) as much as I hate those two :gang:

Outside of our divisional opposition, its always the frickin ravens or stealers always screwing us over somehow. I've never hated 2 teams (outside of our division) as much as I hate those two :gang:

The Giants are playing the Ravens next week, so be prepared for another letdown.

For the division, I think it can be settled next week. We win, Boys and Giants lose.......We would be 1 game up with a 4-1 division record going to week 17 with us still owing the tiebreakers over each team. Correct????

If we win next week and the Giants and Cowboys lose next week. And then say Giants lose week 17, do we have to beat Dallas?

I don't think so because we have the better conference record.

Doing the ESPN Playoff Machine, if we lost to Eagles, but beat the Cowboys, we will still make the playoffs no matter if the Giants win the next two games or if the Cowboys win against Saints.

What's crazy is that not only does Dallas control its own destiny just like us, if The Giants lose to the Ravens, they can actually DROP a game and still control their own destiny.

If we win next week and the Giants and Cowboys lose next week. And then say Giants lose week 17, do we have to beat Dallas?

I'm not even sure we'd have to worry about week 17. If we beat Philly, wouldn't we be guaranteed minimum a 4-2 divisional record? The best the Giants could do with a win over Philly would be 3-3.

I think so. It goes by common games. I don't know them all, but the Bengals and Steelers stand out.

I'm not even sure we'd have to worry about week 17. If we beat Philly, wouldn't we be guaranteed minimum a 4-2 divisional record? The best the Giants could do with a win over Philly would be 3-3.

The Boys will be 4-2 if they beat us.

For the division, I think it can be settled next week. We win, Boys and Giants lose.......We would be 1 game up with a 4-1 division record going to week 17 with us still owing the tiebreakers over each team. Correct????

Believe incorrect - Giants are out in that scenario leaving us and the 'Boys - We are 4-1 division and they are 3-2, they beat us at fedex we both goto 4-2 which puts us to the third tiebreaker, common opponents, with them beating the steelers they got us there..

Doing the ESPN Playoff Machine, if we lost to Eagles, but beat the Cowboys, we will still make the playoffs no matter if the Giants win the next two games or if the Cowboys win against Saints.

EDIT: Nevermind.

Yeah, the winner of the week 17 Skins/Cowboys game is going to have the tiebreaker between the two.

If the skins win we'll have a season sweep of the Cowboys.

If the Cowboys win, we'll have a season split, and the Cowboys will be 4-2 in the division, and since we will have beaten Philly and lost to the Cowboys, that puts us at 4-2 also. The next tiebreaker is common opponents, so outside of the division (where we're already tied), that's the NFC South and AFC North. We're 4-4, and they are 5-2 (with next week's contest against the Saints being the 8th game), so they'd win that tiebreaker.

So the Redskins/Cowboys winner will DEFINITELY have the edge between the two within the division. Both teams have a tiebreaker over the Giants (unless the the Mara family holds an emergency meeting of the competition committee and change the rules to uphold 'the spirit of tiebreakers')

But if Dallas then beat us, both teams would have a 4-2 divisional record. I believe the Cowboys would get in over having a better record against common opponents.

I was toying around with the espn playoff machine and it looks like we'll have to win out. If Dallas loses to the Saints but beats us (I had us beating Philly next week), they would win the division.

Ugh........whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy? What tiebreaker do we lose to them? Are we even in first place right now??

We need to win out in order to take the division. I ran a few scenarios with us winning next week and dallas and NY losing and we still would need to beat dallas. There are wildcard scenarios but minny, da bears and the seahawks are interfering with those so we just need to win out. We should roll the eagles but I am deeply concerned about dallas. They are going to want some payback for what rg3 did to their defense on thanksgiving. They are also playing for a fallen teammate. Romo sits to pee has something to prove after 6 decent but generally unspectacular seasons. That is a dangerous game for sure. I trust Griff to handle the pressure but not the rest of our secondary. Remember Cedric Griffin is gone until the postseason anyways. That game is going to be an operation. I might make a thread...

But if Dallas then beat us, both teams would have a 4-2 divisional record. I believe the Cowboys would get in over having a better record against common opponents.

Ugh x2.......I thought conference record came into it somehow, but maybe I'm wrong.

---------- Post added December-16th-2012 at 08:12 PM ----------

We should roll the eagles but I am deeply concerned about dallas. They are going to want some payback for what rg3 did to their defense on thanksgiving.

Given Dallas' track record of maeningful week 17 games on the road, it'll probably be Thanksgiving again. Redskins will be up 28-3 at half......only question will be if the Cowboys make it close or if we win 42-10.

I dont understand the common opponent thing because if Dallas loses to NO, we beat NO so how does that work then?

AND

They lost to the Ravens, we beat the Ravens, so how the heck does that work!??!

Ugh x2.......I thought conference record came into it somehow, but maybe I'm wrong.

Its the 4th:

1.Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games between the clubs).

2.Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.

3.Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.

4.Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.

Yeah, the winner of the week 17 Skins/Cowboys game is going to have the tiebreaker between the two.

If the skins win we'll have a season sweep of the Cowboys.

If the Cowboys win, we'll have a season split, and the Cowboys will be 4-2 in the division, and since we will have beaten Philly and lost to the Cowboys, that puts us at 4-2 also. The next tiebreaker is common opponents, so outside of the division (where we're already tied), that's the NFC South and AFC North. We're 4-4, and they are 5-2 (with next week's contest against the Saints being the 8th game), so they'd win that tiebreaker.

So the Redskins/Cowboys winner will DEFINITELY have the edge between the two within the division. Both teams have a tiebreaker over the Giants (unless the the Mara family holds an emergency meeting of the competition committee and change the rules to uphold 'the spirit of tiebreakers')

Correct. This is the correct answer for the division.

For wild card, we could actually lock the 6th seed next week if we win, and the Giants and Bears lose. In that case the Dallas game only matters for division but we've already locked up a playoff spot.

We need to win out in order to take the division. I ran a few scenarios with us winning next week and dallas and NY losing and we still would need to beat dallas. There are wildcard scenarios but minny, da bears and the seahawks are interfering with those so we just need to win out. We should roll the eagles but I am deeply concerned about dallas. They are going to want some payback for what rg3 did to their defense on thanksgiving. They are also playing for a fallen teammate. Romo sits to pee has something to prove after 6 decent but generally unspectacular seasons. That is a dangerous game for sure. I trust Griff to handle the pressure but not the rest of our secondary. Remember Cedric Griffin is gone until the postseason anyways. That game is going to be an operation. I might make a thread...

Seriously, have you watched Dallas play? They're awful. A really craptastic Pittsburgh team literally spent the entire 2nd half giving the game away and they still almost won.

Any given Sunday is always the rule in the NFL, but there is nothing remotely concerning about Dallas on any level.

Redskins need to play their game and take care of business

Oh I get it, the STeelers are the 3rd team they beat thats common opponents.

Freaking Steelers screwed us today. Good job you losers. I HATE THE STEELERS ( I live in Western PA)

---------- Post added December-16th-2012 at 08:18 PM ----------

We could get in on a wild card though too!

Oh I get it, the STeelers are the 3rd team they beat thats common opponents.

Freaking Steelers screwed us today. Good job you losers. I HATE THE STEELERS ( I live in Western PA)

Steelers are terrible, it was a miracle they were even in this game. Cowboys aren't much better