Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Need advice from car salespeople/car people

Bonez3

It just depends what you are trying to do. Are you leasing? Buying outright? Financing? Generally, you can look up the invoice value of a car. Usually anything less than invoice is a pretty good deal. Give me an idea on what you are trying to do and I will try to provide some opinions based off car buying experience.

Looking to buy 2012 Chevy Suburban or Yukon Denali XL. What kind of prices should I be asking for. Model can vary as can package.

I'll take any suggestions and recommendations, thanks in advance.

Use edmunds.com to research invoice pricing, for both the base car and all the options. Shoot for $500 below invoice and under no circumstances pay more than invoice. If you're financing, and the dealer isn't giving you good rates, you can join penfed for a $20 donation and get better rates through them (usually between 1.5% and 1.99%).

I'm not going to lecture on buying a huge suv because I'm assuming you need the space for kids or whatever, but have you looking into something a little more economical? The new Ford Explorers have seating for 6, and two engine options that get 24 mpg highway for the v6 and 28 mpg highway for the ecoboost i4. Really a marvel of engineering that you should consider if you're not an anti-Ford guy. They also start at like $10k less than the base price of a suburban.

Thanks alot guys. Just not a car guy, butdon't want to get taken to cleaners. Yea, 4 kids, so need space. Looking for standard package on suburban LT model likely. Any moerf info appreciated.

Is a minivan out of the question? We use a Honda Odyssey for hauling our four kids and two dogs around.

You can get substantially (thousands) under invoice - I normally aim for 20% off of MSRP going into the negotiation.....depending on the car, the exclusivity, etc you should be able to end up with 8-15% off MSRP, and 20% is not uncommon especially with holdback incentives, you can get higher.

First things first, check out Edmunds to see what everyone else is using to baseline. You can go lower. Go to some messageboards for your specific car and typically there are "what did you pay" threads. Find them and read...if not, make a post asking for people to provide you with that information. Typically, it exists somewhere out there.

Then you know what people normally come in looking to pay, and you know what people actually pay, and you can refine your approach based on that.

well I sell GMC if you need any help.... Stay away from a new Ford Explorer its a glorified all wheel drive mini van and MyFord touch is junk I used to sell Ford and the ecoboost is only available in front wheel drive... The only true body on frame suv's left are the Yukon / Tahoe and Expedition

Switched to possibly getting new 2012 GMC Yukon XL 1500 slt. White diamond upgrade, chrome/wheel upgrades, extra haul package.

Vehicle, tax, tags/title around 55K... what do you think?

Get two of them. J;'/k, wow you can get a lot of vehicles in the price range that you are looking at. But hey get what you want, you are going to own it for awhile or lose your ass trading out of it.

Archived