Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Chalk Talk: Dissecting the Duck, Skins Tie Ins (GRANTLAND Article + Discussion)

KDawg

The idea of putting a defense under pressure by making them defend vertically and horizontally isn't as effective when linebackers go sideline to sideline like they do in the NFL.
I'm afraid I don't follow. I know we're talking in very generalized terms here but how is the design of offense 'making them defend vertically and horizontally' different from the design of other offenses?
..and I am very wary of college coaches with no NFL background making the jump....not sure why..
That's always a concern. Preferably he would cut his teeth as an OC first but his star is pretty shiny already when he's already been pinged by NFL teams.

I'm afraid I don't follow. I know we're talking in very generalized terms here but how is the design of offense 'making them defend vertically and horizontally' different from the design of other offenses?

Mostly in the alignment. Wider splits by the line. Receivers pushing the boundary. Lots of quick hitting passes on the perimeter, with a lateral running game that threatens the edge. Defenses have to defend horizontally more than normal.

Mostly in the alignment. Wider splits by the line. Receivers pushing the boundary. Lots of quick hitting passes on the perimeter, with a lateral running game that threatens the edge. Defenses have to defend horizontally more than normal.
But I don't think the main reason or design for the horizontal spread formations are to exploit a speed advantage over opposing LBs as you suggest here:
The idea of putting a defense under pressure by making them defend vertically and horizontally isn't as effective when linebackers go sideline to sideline like they do in the NFL

Here's Chip:

"We spread the defense so they will declare their defensive look for the offensive linemen,"
"If there are two high safeties [i.e., players responsible for deep pass defense], mathematically there can only be five defenders in the box. With one high safety, there can be six in the box. If there is no high safety, there can be seven in the box,"

I think you sell the running game short when you describe it a 'lateral' run game. I view the running game as diverse and mutlitfaceted attacking several different ways based on personnel and situation.

---------- Post added November-19th-2012 at 01:40 PM ----------

Another key aspect of Chip's offense is the tempo, and the tempo factor has already been proven effective in the NFL.

When you look at our current offense, heavily based on read option plays, and it success its hard to understand why the Ducks style of offense wouldn't be effective.

Now when it comes to the college coach moving the NFL, I agree its risky.

I would not describe our offense as "heavily based on read option" at all. It's a part but how much do we actually run it? We tried to go heavy with it one game and we got a glimpse of what can happen (cincy).

Chip Kelly is far the first to figure out how to move the opponents chess pieces.

Okay, our offense is not heavily based on read option. My point that I think you'll accept is that we already use far more read option then most other offense in the NFL, do you agree? And in that aspect our offense already shares and proves that a key aspect of Chip's offense is already working in the NFL.

I'm not sure where I said that Chip was the first nor what Chip's chronology in the spread zone read offense coach continuim has on whether the offense wouldn't be successful in the NFL?

---------- Post added November-19th-2012 at 02:17 PM ----------

I'm just curious to see your view about why that style of offense wouldn't work, I'm not trying to be contentious just trying to see your side.

HTTR

Okay, our offense is not heavily based on read option. My point that I think you'll accept is that we already use far more read option then most other offense in the NFL, do you agree? And in that aspect our offense already shares and proves that a key aspect of Chip's offense is already working in the NFL.

I'm not sure where I said that Chip was the first nor what Chip's chronology in the spread zone read offense coach continuim has on whether the offense wouldn't be successful in the NFL?

---------- Post added November-19th-2012 at 02:17 PM ----------

I'm just curious to see your view about why that style of offense wouldn't work, I'm not trying to be contentious just trying to see your side.

HTTR

We do it with some success. But rg3 is an ungodly freakish talent, and even with that you can see the dangers with it. I just really think that the size and speed is too much. You don't get defensive ends chasing the stretch down from the backside in college a whole lot, but it happens a lot in the NFL.

I could be way off with this. I wouldn't mind seeing Kelly get a shot....I just don't Want it to be here

We do it with some success. But rg3 is an ungodly freakish talent, and even with that you can see the dangers with it. I just really think that the size and speed is too much. You don't get defensive ends chasing the stretch down from the backside in college a whole lot, but it happens a lot in the NFL.

I could be way off with this. I wouldn't mind seeing Kelly get a shot....I just don't Want it to be here

I have my misgivings about Kelly coming in as an HC also, specifically his lack of NFL experience. But if his style were ever gonna work then Griff would be the perfect QB and the ground work layed by Kyle would make a great base to start from. I actually don't think Kelly runs the best spread zone scheme in college. I think the zone read guys that are more pass focused would make for a better transition into the NFL. ('air raid' guys like Briles, Leach, Holgerson, Sumlin etc)

well i am from the northwest and a huge pac12 fan so i have kept fairly close ties on Oregon the last 2 years. So if i might offer my opinion.

first of all i think there is a valid argument when comparing Kelly to Spurrier. Mind you I think Steve commanded a better team the Kelly does in UO. Steve won a national championship and produced a Heisman trophy winning quarterback.

Chip Kelly is a gambler. i understand that you have to be in the NFL but i think chip gambles for all the wrong reasons. He is a bit too arrogant as a gambler. In the pac12 some of his gambles pay off but on the hot seat and on the national stage he has yet to impress me.

I can't think of a back or a quarterback that struck me as a top notch NFL prospect. His teams are tailored to compete against other teams in the PAC 12.

One thing i will say in conclusion. I do think that Chip has a legitemit shot at a Heisman trophy quarterback in Mariota. As a true freshman he is already reminding me of a RG3 in his early years at Baylor.

Archived