Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Reuters: U.S. to overtake Saudi as top oil producer: IEA

visionary

We have enough coal in this country to power us until the rapture. I just REFUSE to believe we can't come up with a safe way to burn it. Seems a lot more attainable than solar and wind

not according to the present idiots in charge

wind is already commercially viable without subsidies (in the right places), and solar is on a steeply declining cost curve... but yes, improvements in coal "green-ness" would potentially have a huge impact, particularly if whatever improvements were developed were scalable enough to be used in the OTHER countries that continue to burn coal at breakneck speed.  China apparently adds about two new giant coal plants a month...

furthermore, neither wind nor solar are baseload power, and neither can replace baseload capacity unless there is a HUGE breaktrough in storage cpaccity/batteries.  

And every idiot in charge since the clean air act was passed

the problem is more in how they are applying/defining it....the Flex system we use allows common sense rules that both clean the emmisions and allow varied sources......naturally we have to fight the EPA in court to allow them(yes we just won again)

it is worse than a slippery slope with the present EPA and co2 nonsense....ya might as well stick a fork in coal with that 

the problem is more in how they are applying/defining it....the Flex system we use allows common sense rules that both clean the emmisions and allow varied sources......naturally we have to fight the EPA in court to allow them(yes we just won again)

it is worse than a slippery slope with the present EPA and co2 nonsense....ya might as well stick a fork in coal with that

Reagan should never have passed the bill. Ultimately his fault, any administration could then simply apply the law

Back to the original point, I have to think they could figure out a way to burn it cleanly

Back to the original point, I have to think they could figure out a way to burn it cleanly

Yeah, it does seem reasonable to me that, at least when we're talking about a power plant, then you've got all the pollution in one place where you can control it, they really ought to be able to do a lot.

Now, granted, the power plan isn't the only part of the chain that pollutes. It pollutes lots of other places, too.

And getting rid of the CO2, now that I don't think is possible. (Well, without spending more energy than what you got when you burned it.)

gassification of coal  is moving along

http://energy.gov/fe/science-innovation/clean-coal-research/gasification

of course as Larry mentioned they find mining objectional

perhaps in situ gassification will pass their muster once they slice their wrists over solar yet again

thought I would share

Texas oil production set to top No. 2 OPEC country

http://fuelfix.com/blog/2014/07/01/texas-now-pumping-36-percent-of-nations-oil/

http://www.insideindianabusiness.com/newsitem.asp?ID=61735

A Purdue University energy economist says a boost in production of shale oil and gas is a "game changer" for the U.S. economy. Wally Tyner says new research from the school shows the growth could increase the nation's Gross Domestic Product by an average of 3.5 percent each year through 2035.

isn't that about what the US budget deficit is?

So, your point is that if we just taxed the oil industry, we could balance the budget? :)

how much more ya want?

http://www.exxonmobilperspectives.com/2012/03/15/who-is-subsidizing-whom-2/?utm_source=paid.outbrain.com&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Perspectives_-_Oil_and_Gas_Tax_Policy

with congresscritters that spend more than ya take in it will never happen even if ya tax at 100% :P

I thought Obama was killing oil? Thank God for those brave Texans standing up to this tyranny. Pump that oil!

I'm sure our relief at the pump is just around the corner

well since production on federal areas has dropped while private has greatly expanded.....but I'm sure that has nothing to do with him. :P

txfed.jpg

more being pumped in Texas than the whole US offshore

maybe it is us that deserve a tax/price break.

add

what he is killing is coal....since ya can't hang with the big dogs  :wub:

You mean, when we're producing more on land, we don't need as much from offshore?

And I love the way you cite this to try to say Obama's doing it.

need as is not needing imports?

he has been less than helpful.....in so many areas(but then that is obvious to any but the apologists)

Archived