Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Nick Foles will break Andrew Luck's Rookie single game passing record next Sunday.

Sizzla3000

Honestly, I think this could be our first "big" win in a while. 14+ points. If we have a lead in the 3rd or 4th, I can see the Eagles capitulating.

They don't like physical football. We run the ball and stick with it. They have trouble stopping it in their wide 9. If we get Garcon back, Asomugah will have trouble stopping him all day.

Their offensive line is TERRIBLE. Remember our line with Stephon Heyer and Levi Brown? That bad.

We're rested, and Shanahan with extra weeks to prepare usually comes up with new wrinkles. I bet we'll see things on Sunday we haven't seen all year, things the Eagles haven't prepared for.

The Eagles just aren't a good team right now. They're playing bad football, they're demoralized, the negativity surrounding that team inside and our is similar to Jim Zorn's last season.

And most importantly, between Vick + Foles, our quarterback is significantly better. Ultimately, this will be the major difference. We also run the ball and stick with the run.

We win this week and somehow, we're back in the NFC East race. It's really amazing -- if we could've just stopped the Giants on that last drive, we'd only be a game out of first in the division.

I guess you won't let a little things like facts **** up your "argument."

Even if they've fell off a cliff, we're being crushed by infinite density of black hole that is Haslett's brain. And if any Defense in this league is as handicapped or more than ours, it is the eagles. They turn the ball over so much its impressive that they are able to do what they do given their propensity to give the opposing offense a short field.

What "facts" am I missing? That they were better before they fired Castillo?

Fewer sacks?

Fewer turnovers?

Fewer tackles?

Their secondary is just as atrocious as ours, all you need to do is watch a game. QBs carve up that secondary just as much as ours. They can't tackle. How many times do RBs and WRs run through their attempts to tackle? A whole lot more than they do against our D.

The only thing that's saving them from having a worse ranking yardage wise is their offense turning the ball over and giving the other team a short field.

Their defense is predicated on the pass rush - that's what the Wide 9 is designed for. They have fewer sacks than us, and they have all their pass rushing weapons. We have more sacks, and we're down our best pass rusher and best DL.

It's hilarious how you talk about "facts" then the only one you use is "they are given short fields to defend".

What's even more ridiculous is that I have to defend our team to our "fans" who want to argue about how bad we are...

What "facts" am I missing? That they were better before they fired Castillo?

They give up fewer points per game, how is that not telling to you?

Fewer sacks? Goes for **** when we give up 20+ yard bombs on the next play

Fewer turnovers? That we do get, probably more so because teams pass all day on us

Fewer tackles?

Their secondary is just as atrocious as ours, all you need to do is watch a game. QBs carve up that secondary just as much as ours. They can't tackle. How many times do RBs and WRs run through their attempts to tackle? A whole lot more than they do against our D.

The only thing that's saving them from having a worse ranking yardage wise is their offense turning the ball over and giving the other team a short field.

And yet they let up fewer points...they're given shorter fields and let up less points...do you not see how that makes their defense better than ours?

Their defense is predicated on the pass rush - that's what the Wide 9 is designed for. They have fewer sacks than us, and they have all their pass rushing weapons. We have more sacks, and we're down our best pass rusher and best DL.

It's hilarious how you talk about "facts" then the only one you use is "they are given short fields to defend".

People act like carriker is a difference maker...he was an average D linemen last year...on this team that tends to stand out since every sucks so bad. Orakpo was the only truly great rusher we had, he could actually get double digit sacks (and pressure which I think we miss more) without someone "great" opposite of him. Kerrigan is a slightly above average player but his production leads me to think his peak play will be that of a complimentary rusher and nothing more. He's ok in coverage, but again nothing great. He'll be a fan favorite with some because he exudes great effort but his production doesn't warrant great. We've seen what Coles/Babin can do when implemented properly, I'm not sure Orakpo/Kerrigan can reach that level of play when implemented properly. While I think castillo did make them worse this year...they are still not worse than us. Hell 21 points yesterday scored while the defense was off the field.

Pretty stats like sacks and INTs don't win games. We let up more points, that is a FACT. Get it through your dense skull. Points matter at the end, you are sugar coating and failing to make one logical point outside of the fact we tackle better, but that doesn't really matter when the defense is generally slower than everyone. Try again.

Carriker had 5.5 sacks last season. That's very good production for a 3-4 DE not called JJ Watt.

Redding from B-more, McDonald from San Fran was just as productive as was smith (although he was playing like a defensive MVP last year), the list goes on of guys who had similar production. I'm probably too harsh on Carriker but even when we did have him we were 21st in ppg. Does anyone really think all our defensive woes go away if he's healthy? Not mention its hard to project what kind of player we get back when he heals up (another scary thought knowing our medical staff).

People act like carriker is a difference maker...he was an average D linemen last year...on this team that tends to stand out since every sucks so bad. Orakpo was the only truly great rusher we had, he could actually get double digit sacks (and pressure which I think we miss more) without someone "great" opposite of him. Kerrigan is a slightly above average player but his production leads me to think his peak play will be that of a complimentary rusher and nothing more. He's ok in coverage, but again nothing great. He'll be a fan favorite with some because he exudes great effort but his production doesn't warrant great. We've seen what Coles/Babin can do when implemented properly, I'm not sure Orakpo/Kerrigan can reach that level of play when implemented properly. While I think castillo did make them worse this year...they are still not worse than us. Hell 21 points yesterday scored while the defense was off the field.

Pretty stats like sacks and INTs don't win games. We let up more points, that is a FACT. Get it through your dense skull. Points matter at the end, you are sugar coating and failing to make one logical point outside of the fact we tackle better, but that doesn't really matter when the defense is generally slower than everyone. Try again.

Carriker might be average, but his presence in the DL makes an enormous impact. He gets pressures and adds to the rotation, keeping our other DL fresh while providing solid support. 5.5 sacks from a DE in the 3-4 the way we run it is absolutely impressive.

Sacks and INTs don't win games? Pretty sure that INTs take away scoring opportunities for the other team and give us another possession. Sacks put the defense in a good position to get off the field.

We've allowed a field goal more per game than they have (27.6 ppg vs 24.6 ppg). That's not really that significant. 27 more points over 9 games. Stop acting like we're giving up 50 points per game.

Redding from B-more, McDonald from San Fran was just as productive as was smith (although he was playing like a defensive MVP last year), the list goes on of guys who had similar production. I'm probably too harsh on Carriker but even when we did have him we were 21st in ppg. Does anyone really think all our defensive woes go away if he's healthy? Not mention its hard to project what kind of player we get back when he heals up (another scary thought knowing our medical staff).

You're right, sacks are the only way to judge a 3-4 DE. :rolleyes:

Nevermind that he's a force in run support and occupies OL so Kerrigan and Rak could get to the passer. If you actually watched the games knowing what to look for you might be able to see stuff like that. But you just want to fly off the cuff like a petulant little child anytime someone says something positive about the team you say you're a fan of.

"I like the Redskins, but I'm never going to say anything positive about them and anytime someone says they're better than another team I'm going to prove them wrong".

I don't think the Eagles have enough talent to massacre anyone, but they will be in "nothing to lose" mode for sure. I'm more worried about a rogue hit on RG3 than Foles lighting us up. The Carr interception was a fluke, but there were two other balls that could easily have been picked and returned for a TD.

Is Vick out for sure? I doubt any team would pick him up as a back up, so he's playing for continued paydays at this point.

Vick is still a better option at QB for at least 5-6 teams. If he gets in the right system he could be ok it just depends on if any coach wants to take a chance on him. Reid seemed like a good fit at first until he started having him throw it 40 times a game and refused to run one of the best RBs in the league.

Regarding them allowing just 3 ppg less then us...how bout the fact that a Vick led offense has accounted for 4.6 ppg as they've allowed 42 points when their defense isn't on the field. Their defense basically allows a TD less than us...and given how close our games have been...it REALLY matters. Stop acting like you can't count.

You're right, sacks are the only way to judge a 3-4 DE. :rolleyes:

If thats how people want gauge performance then it can be shown there are analogous players like him the league although I'll admit I underrate him as a rusher.

Nevermind that he's a force in run support and occupies OL so Kerrigan and Rak could get to the passer. If you actually watched the games knowing what to look for you might be able to see stuff like that. But you just want to fly off the cuff like a petulant little child anytime someone says something positive about the team you say you're a fan of.

"I like the Redskins, but I'm never going to say anything positive about them and anytime someone says they're better than another team I'm going to prove them wrong".

Do you watch the games? We were 18th in rush defense last season when he was healthy, we're 8th now. Even if you say its because people just pass more on us, we were worse in rush yards per attempt last season as oppose to this season. The facts and stats don't back up your argument. I've loved the skins since I started watching unfortunately I got into football when were decent (1999 or 98 I think). I'm not going to lie to myself and say we're better than our rivals as much as I want to be. There are innate problems with this team that could be fixed, I'm not a coach nor will I ever be qualified to be one, but I will never let blind faith govern how I view em and admit that we can do better. I want our defense to be good, I want them to crush foles, but I don't see any logical evidence for a Haslett led defense to fulfill those hopes. You want to say I'm factually wrong with my arguments fine, make the argument, but don't question my fan-card. :mad: as I won't question your love for the skins. I want the team to succeed, I just don't see it trending in the right direction.

This may be a knee jerk reaction but everything is setting up for a second Eagles massacre over the Redskins. Shanahan has quit on the team and is terrible after the bye week. I predict the Fecals season will be saved starting next Sunday.

Yeah, the Eagles may win, but I don't think any of that will happen.

There are not many 3-4 DEs who had 5 or more sacks last year. I'm not saying Carriker is an All Pro candidate but he is a better than average 3-4 DE. I would agree though that he would not make that much difference to our defense - I thought we were in for a long year on defense against the pass from early in preseason and said so a number of times. Getting a healthy Orakpo and Carriker back will help but we need some more inside pressure and MUCH better safety play at a minimum as well.

As you say there have to be questions as to exactly how healthy Carriker and Orakpo will be anyway. I'm concerned Orakpo is developing a chronic problem with these pec tears.

Regarding them allowing just 3 ppg less then us...how bout the fact that a Vick led offense has accounted for 4.6 ppg as they've allowed 42 points when their defense isn't on the field. Their defense basically allows a TD less than us...and given how close our games have been...it REALLY matters. Stop acting like you can't count.

The numbers are taken from nfl.com. They already remove the special teams and other teams defensive scores from the "defensive points allowed" number. So yeah, we have only allowed a FG more per game than us.

Do you watch the games? We were 18th in rush defense last season when he was healthy, we're 8th now. Even if you say its because people just pass more on us, we were worse in rush yards per attempt last season as oppose to this season. The facts and stats don't back up your argument. I've loved the skins since I started watching unfortunately I got into football when were decent (1999 or 98 I think). I'm not going to lie to myself and say we're better than our rivals as much as I want to be. There are innate problems with this team that could be fixed, I'm not a coach nor will I ever be qualified to be one, but I will never let blind faith govern how I view em and admit that we can do better. I want our defense to be good, I want them to crush foles, but I don't see any logical evidence for a Haslett led defense to fulfill those hopes. You want to say I'm factually wrong with my arguments fine, make the argument, but don't question my fan-card. :mad: as I won't question your love for the skins. I want the team to succeed, I just don't see it trending in the right direction.

The funny thing is, the stats do back me up. We have more sacks, tackles, and turnovers, and only give up three more points per game than the Eagles.

It's not "blind faith" to say our D is better than theirs. All you have to do is watch both units play. As bad as ours is, theirs is worse, in just about every way. They get less pressure on QBs, they are worse tacklers, their secondary is just as bad. The success of their defense is predicated on generating sacks and pressuring the QB, which is the one thing they aren't doing. You don't need to be a coach to see that. Ever since Castillo was fired that defense has essentially been nonexistent. Over that time period our D has been better.

In a one to one comparison of our defense to theirs, ours wins. There isn't one player on their defense that could come over to ours and make it better. There are 3 or 4 players on our defense that could go over to them and make theirs better. (Rak, Kerrigan, Fletcher, Cofield to start).

The numbers are taken from nfl.com. They already remove the special teams and other teams defensive scores from the "defensive points allowed" number. So yeah, we have only allowed a FG more per game than us.

You're lying here or you aren't prithee to the truth. Add up their box score, and divide by their number games and compare. You're flat out wrong here. The 24.6 ppg you were alluding to was the points per game listed at NFL.com. You're wrong here, if you don't believe me, do the math.

The funny thing is, the stats do back me up. We have more sacks, tackles, and turnovers, and only give up three more points per game than the Eagles.

It's not "blind faith" to say our D is better than theirs. All you have to do is watch both units play. As bad as ours is, theirs is worse, in just about every way. They get less pressure on QBs, they are worse tacklers, their secondary is just as bad. The success of their defense is predicated on generating sacks and pressuring the QB, which is the one thing they aren't doing. You don't need to be a coach to see that. Ever since Castillo was fired that defense has essentially been nonexistent. Over that time period our D has been better.

and yet they let up less points, they let up less 80 less pass yards a game, even with less pressure, which is more of an indictment on ourselves. If it isn't blind faith its terrible rationalizations.

In a one to one comparison of our defense to theirs, ours wins. There isn't one player on their defense that could come over to ours and make it better. There are 3 or 4 players on our defense that could go over to them and make theirs better. (Rak, Kerrigan, Fletcher, Cofield to start).

Well that's cause they run a 3-4. I'd venture to say we could potentially be 6-3 with a secondary swap with them. Rak wouldn't start over babin, and kerrigan isn't better then coles. This is the arrogance of so many homers of any teams. Fletcher might start for them as would cofield but Babin and Coles have been effective. Both teams are handicapped by D-Coordinators but they have more talent to compensate.

I'm still not worried about Foles but this from Dan Graziano made me a little nervous

"If that's what happens, it's a good opportunity for Foles to show the Eagles what he can do. The Redskins have the league's No. 30 pass defense, allowing an average of 302 yards per game through the air. Only two teams in the league -- Oakland and Jacksonville -- have fewer quarterback sacks this year than the Redskins' 14. Their pass rush has just about vanished following the early-season loss of Brian Orakpo to injury. They have one decent cover corner, Josh Wilson, but even he's shown a susceptibility to the kinds of big plays the Eagles like to draw up for their wide receivers. They have basically nothing at safety and are extremely thin throughout the secondary. If you're a third-round rookie getting his first start on the road seven months after being drafted, this isn't a bad spot at all. "

I'm still not worried about Foles but this from Dan Graziano made me a little nervous

I don't need a quote from Graziano to get me nervous. All I need is our record against rookie QBs. Isn't it like 0 for the last 7 or something? Just atrocious and embarrassing, much like our record at home.

I will watch and hope, no doubt. But I have zero faith in this team or coaching staff to excel in anything other than sucking. Show me on the field, that's all that matters.

Well that's cause they run a 3-4. I'd venture to say we could potentially be 6-3 with a secondary swap with them. Rak wouldn't start over babin, and kerrigan isn't better then coles. This is the arrogance of so many homers of any teams. Fletcher might start for them as would cofield but Babin and Coles have been effective. Both teams are handicapped by D-Coordinators but they have more talent to compensate.

Fair enough on the points per game, I thought I remembered them removing the "other" scores.

Babin and Coles have been effective, you're right, but Rak would start at DE on just about any 4-3 team in the NFL, and possibly as LB on some 4-3 teams. He's better than any of their LBs save possibly for DeMeco Ryans. That's not homerism, that is a straight up evaluation of them. I might not be the best coach around, but I do know how to evaluate and what to look for.

Again, those stats you are bringing up are an average overall of the whole season. Since Castillo was fired, their defense has disappeared. Since we are playing them without Castillo, you need to look at those numbers alone to get a feel for how good they are. And since Castillo was fired, their D has been worse than ours.

Fair enough on the points per game, I thought I remembered them removing the "other" scores.

ty, i think you might just have been misinformed by someone. No worries.

Babin and Coles have been effective, you're right, but Rak would start at DE on just about any 4-3 team in the NFL, and possibly as LB on some 4-3 teams. He's better than any of their LBs save possibly for DeMeco Ryans. That's not homerism, that is a straight up evaluation of them. I might not be the best coach around, but I do know how to evaluate and what to look for.

Again, those stats you are bringing up are an average overall of the whole season. Since Castillo was fired, their defense has disappeared. Since we are playing them without Castillo, you need to look at those numbers alone to get a feel for how good they are. And since Castillo was fired, their D has been worse than ours.

Rak could probably displace coles, but babin beasted last year, and had it not been for coaching, this year as well. Look at who they've played after their bye, ATL and NO, not exactly easy...plus they gave up 4 tds by the offense/special teams in that span too. Which makes the score a little misleading. They have let up yards. The problem is our offense has been trending downward too. I think we can score on them, but I still don't think our D can stop them. Foles did some stupid things out there, but we're the perfect team for him to have his first start against.

Rak could probably displace coles, but babin beasted last year, and had it not been for coaching, this year as well. Look at who they've played after their bye, ATL and NO, not exactly easy...plus they gave up 4 tds by the offense/special teams in that span too. Which makes the score a little misleading. They have let up yards. The problem is our offense has been trending downward too. I think we can score on them, but I still don't think our D can stop them. Foles did some stupid things out there, but we're the perfect team for him to have his first start against.

Of course, look who we have played. ATL, NO, StL (who just put 24 - would have been 30 save for a dumb penalty - up on San Fran), and Cinci. Not exactly powder puff offenses.

I am not saying a thing because lord knows I have been burned when I thought we have this. This season I would have bet the house on us beating the Rams and I would have bet the house we would loose Tampa. You couldn't make me think we would be one minute and change of beating the Giants even if you threaten torture. Actually come to think of it, this team is torture. If....I say IF we just do 3 things better.

Catch the damn ball

minimize penalties

don't let them have the home run play

I don't see how the Eagles can beat us. NOOOOO there I said it. We lost already.

Maclin may be out too. I think since we've had two weeks to prepare (yes I know shanny is 0-2 after byes) we will be able to confuse the rookie. If the Saints could sack Vick 7 times, I think we can pressure him. Let's hope at least.

---------- Post added November-12th-2012 at 04:01 PM ----------

The Redskins defense sucks, but Foles looked terrible on Sunday. He best throw was the one that Avant in the head. All the rest were check downs or blown assignments. This should be similar to the Minnesota game.

I agree. Some analysts have been saying he did some things well, but I just didn't see it. The TD to Maclin, he was WIDE open...like you said, blown coverage. And I saw one play he threw one up for grabs, throwing it across the field...it was lobbed up so high it looked like a shanked punt. Luckily Maclin grabbed it but it could have been a pick 6.

Archived