Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SP: Robert Griffin III Showing Rookie Growing Pains - Some Missed Opportunities for the Rookie vs. Carolina

RedskinParadigm

The problem however is Kyle's play-calling within his own scheme seems to get a little herky jerky, and "fancy" for no reason. This is most notable in games where Morris is bludgeoning the defense and the play action is working, but all of the sudden we try to run a double-reverse fake, which either loses yards, or takes a mighty effort to gain two yards.

I think if Kyle concentrates more on what is working against whatever defense the team is playing, the offense will go back to being more efficient. (Also, the O-line is breaking in pass protection a lot more than earlier in the season, but that issue is a whole different thread)

If a double-reverse fake gains two yards, it is a successful play. It has improved our down and distance and it has given the defense something else to worry about.

The problem with the people who get irritated by the "fancy" calls is that they have perhaps the worst case of confirmation bias out of anyone trying to weigh in on this debate. When those calls work, you do not notice them at all (and they are successful a surprising amount of the time). When those calls do not work, you notice and complain and recall every other time they did not work. In fact, what constitutes "fancy" or "cute" seems to be a moving target for many posters that is based entirely on the level of execution on that particular play.

I don't know if Griffin will ever be able to learn how to work the pocket, it seems like some QB's just have it, and some don't. For example, Luck is already much better than Flacco at avoiding the rush in the pocket, and Flacco has been in the league a while. I am jut concerned, that RG3 will never be able to be a pure pocket passer.

Luck's overall awareness of the pass rush on average is worse than Griffin's, though. Both of those guys will improve over time.

Luck is a rookie. Tannehill is a rookie. They are both better from the pocket. Rg3 has better accuracy but it doesn't matter if he's not able to find open wrs And read defenses.

Dont let Warren Moon see this.

Wow, I'm not sure how to reply to this. I too saw that Aldrick Robinson play. Keep in mind that on the first drive of the CAR game, RGIII made a perfect read and pass to Robinson on the slant and the ball went through his hands like butter.

Rewind back to week 3 against the Rams. Again RGIII threw a long bomb that hit Robinson in the hands and he dropped it.

Perhaps RGIII's confidence in Robinson has been shaken? Idono but to say that RGIII can't read defenses or pass from the pocket is asinine.

The bottom line here is that even with this off performance of RG3 and the dropped balls and such, they were in this game. If the defense was even a little better, they have a shot at pulling a win out of this mess. I think its pretty clear that this offense will work and work very well at times. For me , its all about fixing this defensive trainwreck.

QBs all have bad games, especially when their team is not giving them any help. I don't even think he played horrible, he just played kinda decent which is unlike him since he is usually consistently lights out. He is a rookie and people here and in the media were just waiting to pounce on Griffin after his hot start. Luck has had his share of bad moments, along with whoever else you want to bring up, literally everybody.

But what does need to happen is we need to phase in a conventional offense, because we already know Griffin has the talent to run it and thrive in it, that much is apparent. I have no idea why we didn't just let Griffin throw the ball in the end zone, it looked like Kyle was scared to let Griffin throw it.

Is it just me or does RG3 not know how to work from the pocket? He is MUCH faster than Eli Manning, but Manning can maneuver so well in the pocket while keeping his eyes downfield.

I don't know if Griffin will ever be able to learn how to work the pocket, it seems like some QB's just have it, and some don't. For example, Luck is already much better than Flacco at avoiding the rush in the pocket, and Flacco has been in the league a while. I am jut concerned, that RG3 will never be able to be a pure pocket passer.

Working the pocket and leaving pass rushers in the dust within the pocket is not so much about speed as about instinct and properly moving oneself away from the rush in one or two steps. Part of it is getting used to the speed of the game and part of it is being more resilient when the hits accumulate.

Working the pocket and leaving pass rushers in the dust within the pocket is not so much about speed as about instinct and properly moving oneself away from the rush in one or two steps. Part of it is getting used to the speed of the game and part of it is being more resilient when the hits accumulate.

wasn't there a play against CAR where the pocket collapsed but RGIII just weathered the storm, shifted a bit, and completed a good pass downfield? I remember the announcers complimenting him on it

He'll get better.

I think (and I would guess this is coming) that part of what would help Robert is getting into a better offensive rhythm. When you run the option and you have to read the DE and all that, it takes you out of the rhythm of the pass game.

I don't think the problem is that the o-line can't pass protect. Tyler's probably the worse guy, but Trent's play at an elite level, and Monty and Chester are playing their asses off. Kory's not quite the same but I think he's decent in pass protection. So the stuff with "oh, no wonder he's scared, the o-line isn't protecting" 1.) isn't true, 2.) isn't the kind of player Robert is, and 3.) misrepresents the problems with the offense.

And I don't think the problem with the playcalling is that Kyle gets too cute, or at least that's not the entire problem. I think people feel like we're doing one thing, and then Kyle throws out a wacky play for no reason other than just to be fancy, which isn't how offensive playcalling works. You make those calls based on how the defense is playing,what looks they're giving you; you do it based on information, not based on boredom or trying to be fancy.

Robert missed a couple big plays. It happens. He'll learn and grow for it. He's not a wimp, he's not turning into Patrick Ramsey, it's not because he doesn't have the talent (if the talent sucks so bad why are guys getting open so often, scheme or not...). He's a rookie, and he'll grow. We'll adjust a smidge, and according to LL Robert has asked to run less of the option, so we'll see what happens.

wasn't there a play against CAR where the pocket collapsed but RGIII just weathered the storm, shifted a bit, and completed a good pass downfield? I remember the announcers complimenting him on it

It's not that RGIII is always goofing up in the pocket. It's that sometimes he's not as consistent adept as some more experienced QBs at the moment. With experience, I believe he'll get better.

Archived