Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HTTR24-7:Redskins Defensive Player Grades At The Bye Week

Lavarleap56

The bye week is here so what better time to " Evaluate " the defensive players . Since 2010 Mike Shanahan has re-made the Redskins defense while converting to a 3-4 defense. The Redskins defense started the year with high expectations but so far is a disappointment. There are many reasons for the defensive struggles from coaching, game planning, and injuries. Some people even point to the free agent additions Shanahan has brought in not being a scheme fit . Whatever the reason the grades below are not great so reader beware.The grades for www.profootballfocus.com show a player's performance through 9 games this season.

Check Out The Grades Here http://httr24-7.com/?p=3399

Ugh, pretty much everyone is awful on Defense. Honestly, that says more about how one group can really bring down the entire defense than anything else to me. Kerrigan, Cofield and Josh Wilson are all better than what their stats indicate in my mind. Just like everyone was bashing Sean Taylor in 2006 and questioning his abilities, same is happening now for many of our players.

Bowen has been awesome, though. He's currently the only Dlineman making plays for us, and it's too bad he's not ranked higher. If the secondary helped even a little more I'm sure he'd have even better stats. Oh well.

Geeze, should Hall even start? Even our safeties aren't ranking as bad overall.
I generally like PFF but I have to seriously question their metrics when Williams comes up with a positive score in coverage.

I think it's a product of them not being precise in terms of when the CB passes off his man to the Safety.

I generally like PFF but I have to seriously question their metrics when Williams comes up with a positive score in coverage.

its based over 588 snaps on defense and +1.1 is not great. They put the Cruz TD on Wilson, Tampa TD when he was late with help on Hall. I could have changed the numbers but just left it as is.

I think it's a product of them not being precise in terms of when the CB passes off his man to the Safety.

Yeah, if we had even decent safety play Wilson at least would be a lot better. Talent-wise he's an above-average CB, but the terrible safety play and the awful pass rushing scheme and the poor play of our front has put him in a bad position.

Also Cofield needs to shift over to DE stat and Jenkins needs to go to NT.

its based over 588 snaps on defense and +1.1 is not great. They put the Cruz TD on Wilson, Tampa TD when he was late with help on Hall. I could have changed the numbers but just left it as is.

It seems like some positions are much more difficult to grade out without knowing the assignments. Maybe Williams just isn't as bad as we've come to assume either.

Regardless it was a great read. I appreciate you putting it all together for us in one place.

I still don't understand why ppl overrate Bowen, Jenkins, and Cofield. These stats just confirm what I've always thought about them. They don't suck, they are just all very average.

I've heard Bowen called a "pro bowler", "elite", and a "top DE in the league" in the time he has been here. Give me a break.

Jenkins, I am still PATIENTLY waiting on and I've never expected much from Cofield because I feel like he shouldn't be playing NT

I still don't understand why ppl overrate Bowen, Jenkins, and Cofield. These stats just confirm what I've always thought about them. They don't suck, they are just all very average.

I've heard Bowen called a "pro bowler", "elite", and a "top DE in the league" in the time he has been here. Give me a break.

Jenkins, I am still PATIENTLY waiting on and I've never expected much from Cofield because I feel like he shouldn't be playing NT

Bowen looked the part last year. No one has that illusion about him based on how he's played this year.

I think you are just underrating Bowen - no one is out there claiming he is the greatest thing but he is above average and is close to a probowl level.

A 3/4 defense isn't designed to generate pressure from the linemen but from the blitzes and disguise packages. When you can't blitz because you leave open your godawful secondary the numbers are going to be negatively impacted on the linemen.

Basically what I am getting at is - our secondary is so bad that we won't generate the pressure everyone would like to see - until we get some talented coverage guys we will continue to see a horrid pass rush. The line is getting push and collapsing the pocket, but the wr's are getting open so easy that by the time they get there the qb has already hit the open receiver

I think you are just underrating Bowen - no one is out there claiming he is the greatest thing but he is above average and is close to a probowl level.

A 3/4 defense isn't designed to generate pressure from the linemen but from the blitzes and disguise packages. When you can't blitz because you leave open your godawful secondary the numbers are going to be negatively impacted on the linemen.

Basically what I am getting at is - our secondary is so bad that we won't generate the pressure everyone would like to see - until we get some talented coverage guys we will continue to see a horrid pass rush. The line is getting push and collapsing the pocket, but the wr's are getting open so easy that by the time they get there the qb has already hit the open receiver[/QUOTE]

Yet ppl say that it is the pass rush's fault that the secondary gets burned lol. Which is it?

He is not bad, he is not great. In no way is he close to pro bowl level.

I'm not saying we should cut him or anything like that

Our defense has been decimated by injuries, there's nothing really else to tell. Yea, our depth has proven to be less than worthy but it's now been shown. Our offseaason defense looked to be one of the stronger defenses in terms of starters and we can't add the perfect depth all in one season and no one can account for all of our injuries/suspensions. I strongly believe with T/Jax/Meriweather in the back, Orakpo and Carriker both in, and we have a top 15 defense which isnt the best but its worlds better than where we are... We pick up a true NT like Jenkins and a a FA like Byrd (if TJax isnt here) and possibly a SS/CB in the draft and we are well on our way. Just a little positive outlook knowledge for ya'll...

This.

Madieu is a terrible football player at this point in his career.

He has had some bad plays that stick out no question. All of his 588 snaps have not been bad , he makes mistakes at the wrong time. He is ranked as a backup so im not sure what people are having a issue with. Most of the good safeties in the league are ranked +4 and up..

He has had some bad plays that stick out no question. All of his 588 snaps have not been bad , he makes mistakes at the wrong time. He is ranked as a backup so im not sure what people are having a issue with. Most of the good safeties in the league are ranked +4 and up..

I think people have a hard time understanding the fact that he is just that, a backup and special teams standout. We were dealt a bad hand with the Meriweather injury and TJax suspension. Some people think its easier to just grab any street FA and put him in. We are fielding the best available players in our situation.

wow...I love London but this is eye opening. he has almost 3x as many missed tackles as Riley as does not have any aspect of him game drawing praise right now. WOW

Yeah it's crazy how he fell off a cliff this year.

Ppl keep giving the injury excuse but if he that injured to the point of his performance dropping off so badly, then he needs to sit out.

The defensive rankings are what they are, I think they are pretty accurate and match up with what I see on film going over games.Defense comes down to 2 issues or questions for me..

1.Scheme and coaching are wrong,,

OR

2. Players are not right for this scheme...

If it is number 2 then what the hell have they been doing for 3 years.......

Yet ppl say that it is the pass rush's fault that the secondary gets burned lol. Which is it?

He is not bad, he is not great. In no way is he close to pro bowl level.

I'm not saying we should cut him or anything like that

I'm not saying that at all. I think our secondary is the issue and has caused the lack of pressure on opposing qb's

The coaching philosophy to me is "play to not lose" when it should be "play to win"

---------- Post added November-7th-2012 at 03:50 PM ----------

Yeah I don't think people get that (and granted I have been really hard on Williams) - but he's a backup, he knows it, everyone knows it but he is playing because of an injury to a starter.

On the other hand, I wish I could say the same thing about Hall but unfortunately, he is a starter

My issue is he's terrible.

As you said, he makes bad plays at the wrong time, and they stand out because they just kill us.

I understand he was slated to be a backup, but the fact of the matter is our "starter" had serious drug baggage and was coming off a terrible year.

On top of that, previous year's starter was already toast the day they signed him.

I don't bear Madieu any ill will, he's a great guy for all I know, but he's a liability.

Exactly, I found myself trying to research how they come up with these scores. I wasn't able to see the criteria, though.

I think corner/safety play is the hardest to grade, especially when there's a breakdown.

"Oh, that CB just got burned."

"Oh wait, was he playing under and the safety blew the coverage over the top? (see the 77 yard TD to Cruz which PFF debited to Wilson but everyone knows it was Madieu blowing the coverage up top)

"Was he caught looking at the backfield for a second and the WR blew by him"?

"Did he get juked on a double move"?

And sometimes, you can play perfect coverage and the WR just makes the play, especially with the rules the way they are.

Archived