Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NZ Herald: Pakistan parents pour acid, kill daughter for 'eyeing' boy

RichmondRedskin88

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=10845416

A Pakistani couple accused of killing their 15-year-old daughter by pouring acid on her carried out the attack because she sullied the family's honour by looking at a boy, the couple said in an interview broadcast Monday by the BBC.

I don't even know what to say. Unbelievable. Poor girl.:(

SHF can explain that since he's from there. It's sad but in several Muslim countries if not all of them; if the family feels you have dishonored them- they will kill you. Especially, towards women.

It's not just happening there but here in the U.S. of immigrant families from those parts of the world.

I wonder if "over there", when they read/hear about some parent killing/raping/abusing their children here, they buzz about and talk about our godless/sick culture. I know the answer is "yes, of course." It is sad. All of it.

And I know no one in the thread has done what I just referred to at this point.

Nor am I implying all cultures are "the same" in anything blah blah blah. :)

SHF can explain that since he's from there. It's sad but in several Muslim countries if not all of them; if the family feels you have dishonored them- they will kill you. Especially, towards women.

It's not just happening there but here in the U.S. of immigrant families from those parts of the world.

Even in Muslim countries people like that are a distinct minority, but its still a lot of people. There will be a story like this every few months for a long long time.

things like this make me not want to tell people what my ethnicity is...ughh. This being said...it is a cultural problem...and a vulgar one at that. Has little to do with the koran (as flawed as it is, it doesn't condone anything like this, at least not that I'm aware of).

The parents deserve a slow death.

Even in Muslim countries people like that are a distinct minority, but its still a lot of people. There will be a story like this every few months for a long long time.

True, but I don't here it happening in non-Muslim countries. People twist their own cultural beliefs with religion and it's a bad combination.

What the hell is with honor killings and acid? Is there a book or we page somewhere that suggests acid as the means of restoring honor? Maybe I live a sheltered life but acid enters my limited view only via action movies and honor killings. I'm sure it pops up elsewhere, and I've simply not seen it or forgotten, but surely not with the same frequency.

Eh, I really can't.

Needless to say though the Pakistani tribal mindset is sick and twisted. Even amongst "educated" people

I can speak to it psychologically (its the "obvious" stuff, usually) more than culturally, but we do get them in this country too--sprees of "acid throwings."

It's the same stuff with old "tar-and-feathering" historically popular in this country, England, and other parts of Europe. Its the shame/humiliation via disfigurement (serving several twisted functions) as well as intended to be a more tortuous type of pain in punishment. Often, in all cultures doing so, it's reflective of a "morality" lesson involving disobedience to authority or sexual conduct, other than for things like thievery or lying or swindling or assaults etc.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=10845416

I don't even know what to say. Unbelievable. Poor girl.:(

Parents kill there kids here too. The difference is the reaction from society and Government. Often, in Pakistan and some other countries, the community and or state takes no action against the perpetuator and accepts this and sometimes approves the behavior. Heck it is not unusual for the community or state to acually abet the behavior.

"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours. " Charles James Napier

The father said the girl had turned to look at a boy who drove by on a motorcycle, and he told her it was wrong.

"She said 'I didn't do it on purpose. I won't look again.' By then I had already thrown the acid.

Wait so this guy was just like, carrying around flasks of acid just in case??

One thing people have to understand is that your status in society is held at a lot higher standards than here. (Don't get me wrong here - there are standards here but not the one like over there). For example your neighbor is not going to be in your business. But even the slightest things happens there the gossip spreads like a viral video. When you go outside of your home everyone on the street will look down upon on you and talk about you and make you feel like you just want to crawl underneath a rock and die and you will have a hard time living there with respect from the town's society. It is really hard for people here to understand this type of so called cultural behavior. But it is pretty much a norm there.

This has nothing to do with Islam!!! In Islam marriage and procreation is the highest honor one can do. It is said in Islam if you don't get married than your soul is lost when you die. In Islam kids are to respect their parents (guess that is a norm everywhere for that matter). But no where in Islam it says to kill your kids for misbehavior since that will negate the whole procreation.

In this incident the father having acid on him is just unthinkable and pretty much tells that this man was not even fit to have any kids. I feel sorry for the kid (life is a life lost no matter who it is and where they came from) but at least she doesn't have to deal with his sorry ass for rest of her life by living in torment, abuse, and going mental in the process.

By the way, a poster above was ashamed of their heritage because of incident like these. One should never be ashamed of where they came from. Every society, culture, or religion/non-religion has that one human being who is the lowest of the low and there is nothing one can do except to put them away for rest of their lives so they can't hurt anyone else.

By the way, a poster above was ashamed of their heritage because of incident like these. One should never be ashamed of where they came from. Every society, culture, or religion/non-religion has that one human being who is the lowest of the low and there is nothing one can do except to put them away for rest of their lives so they can't hurt anyone else.

I think you're missing a nuance there. You can be ashamed of the current political or social policies of your homeland without being ashamed of it in general. I'm ashamed of the Iraq war and that my country had anything to do with it - which was arguably a lot worse than one guy killing his daughter. Still plenty proud to be an American though cause we represent a lot more than just that big fiasco.

He dumped acid on his daughter's because she LOOKED at a boy driving by on a motorcycle. Absolutely ****ing bat **** crazy. I have three kids, and no peer pressure or culture or religion could ever make me maim one of them.

Truly Mind-boggling any father could do that to his child.

I think you're missing a nuance there. You can be ashamed of the current political or social policies of your homeland without being ashamed of it in general. I'm ashamed of the Iraq war and that my country had anything to do with it - which was arguably a lot worse than one guy killing his daughter. Still plenty proud to be an American though cause we represent a lot more than just that big fiasco.

And I think you missed my point. I am not even talking about what the government does to their people or to another country for that matter. I am talking about your ROOTS.

This is what this poster said:

things like this make not want to tell people what my ethnicity is...ughh.....

They are talking about their heritage.

And I think you missed my point. I am not even talking about what the government does to their people or to another country for that matter. I am talking about your ROOTS.

This is what this poster said:

They are talking about their heritage.

I was agreeing with you buy trying to refine it a little. Maybe just to help me understand.

As an American my roots involve and heritage involve enforcing our will on other parts of the world. From Latin America to Asia to the Middle East, we insert ourselves in a lot of situations for, what I feel, are the wrong reasons. Yet, I'm still proud of being an American.

Think about it, are you saying you should be proud of your roots despite no reason to do so? Obviously not, I assume. I know there are a lot of reason for a Pakistani to be proud despite the social conventions of some portion of the population. Just as there are for anyone to be proud of their heritage. When you invoke pride in your heritage you look back at the good things your society achieves.

One thing people have to understand is that your status in society is held at a lot higher standards than here. (Don't get me wrong here - there are standards here but not the one like over there). For example your neighbor is not going to be in your business. But even the slightest things happens there the gossip spreads like a viral video. When you go outside of your home everyone on the street will look down upon on you and talk about you and make you feel like you just want to crawl underneath a rock and die and you will have a hard time living there with respect from the town's society. It is really hard for people here to understand this type of so called cultural behavior. But it is pretty much a norm there.

This has nothing to do with Islam!!! In Islam marriage and procreation is the highest honor one can do. It is said in Islam if you don't get married than your soul is lost when you die. In Islam kids are to respect their parents (guess that is a norm everywhere for that matter). But no where in Islam it says to kill your kids for misbehavior since that will negate the whole procreation.

In this incident the father having acid on him is just unthinkable and pretty much tells that this man was not even fit to have any kids. I feel sorry for the kid (life is a life lost no matter who it is and where they came from) but at least she doesn't have to deal with his sorry ass for rest of her life by living in torment, abuse, and going mental in the process.

Well...not every aspect of being Pakistani is upsetting to me...but their are vulgar flaws in the culture and some of its teachings, and I don't say that just because I've been raised in America for the majority of my life because I damn well have my gripes with what some people thinks it means to embrace "american culture."

Pakistan's biggest issue like with any other third world nation is how terribly uneducated some of the people are and how easily they are manipulated by religious zealots who manipulate w/e teachings they can find to stay relevant. Yes it only represents a minority of the population, but it is a persistant problem that hasn't really changed enough in my book to say they've made advancements in the ideals of human decency. Why should I be proud of a culture that treats women like 2nd class citizens, that has deep embedded racism, etc...

When core principals of a culture infringe upon what I consider to be natural human rights, I consider said culture to be inferior. Pakistan has way more problems than some ******* throwing acid on his own daughter, and that's the part that pisses me off more than anything. So no, i have no reason to be proud of pakistan, outside of chicken tikka I guess.

Archived