Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: NFL admits mistake on DeAngelo Williams TD

Hitman21ST

No offense taken, I said that knowing more than likely we wouldn't, but I don't think it's absurd.

This is in the same ballpark as the cap hit "explanation" if you think about it:

Cap hit: The CBA stated in writing that there would be no cap if a new CBA was not agreed on, which it wasn't, and we used it to our advantage. After the fact, the NFL gets together and invented the "spirit of the cap" and we were punished for it.

TD run: The rule states that the play is dead when the whistle blows. We stop playing when the whistle blows. The refs get together and say they "felt that Williams was in the end zone" when he wasn't anywhere near. The "spirit of the TD" if you will.

---------- Post added November-5th-2012 at 10:14 PM ----------

That's the exact issue at hand. If the refs "decide" a team should win, this farce of an explanation would allow that.

Yeah, I hate to be a conspiracy theorist, but it certainly does feel like the nfl is screwing our team (when you would think with a young superstar like Griffin they would do everything they could to, I don't know, go out of their way to hurt us). Regardless, Williams probably would have had that td so I don't feel THAT bad, but by rule they should have had it at the 17. If they had to settle for a fg, who knows, we may have not had a failed 4th down at their goal line and just settle for a fg and they may have never gotten the long drive from that momentum shift. Hard to say what the ripple effect would have been.

This was beyond a bad call.

The actual bad call was blowing the whistle on DeAngelo Williams for being out of bounds when he wasn't, however, once the whistle blows it's a dead ball, REGARDLESS.

So the bad call was made worse when it was reversed for basically a reason made up out of thin air on the spot. How in the world can the explanation from the referee be that "He would have scored" when he blew the whistle at the 17 yard line? It makes no sense, and he was obviously just trying to make something up to try and cover the situation up.

Did our defenders slow down after the whistle was called?

On the one hand, it looked like he was going to score, so a mistaken whistle isn't a big deal, but if our guys slowed down then that TD wouldn't have happened either.

Anyways, the NFL screwed up, and possibly screwed us, but that's happened before. I think there was a Tampa game a ways back where they called a TD as having crossed the plane when it clearly hadn't. Nothing actually happened. Refs screw up, the NFL says "yup they did," and then shrugs its shoulders.

As for helping us get our money back, I doubt that it's going to matter, unless Snyder makes a huge stink about it, in addition to all his other grievances. He certainly has no lack of grievances to air.

Frankly one of the worst calls I've seen. Not that it had an effect on the outcome of the game, it's just alarming that no member of the crew realized how idiotic the call was before it was too late.

I disagree. It definitely affected the outcome of the game. There's no gaurantee that they score if the refs call that correctly.

---------- Post added November-6th-2012 at 12:52 AM ----------

Did our defenders slow down after the whistle was called?

On the one hand, it looked like he was going to score, so a mistaken whistle isn't a big deal, but if our guys slowed down then that TD wouldn't have happened either.

Correct. Riley was there & when he heard the whistle he stopped running. Had he continued on to push Williams out of bounds, it probably would have been an unnecessary roughness penalty.

There was also a hold (if you go back & look at the play) where Williams is getting around the corner & a would-be tackler is being held BLATENTLY who could have tackled Williams before he made any real yardage. He even has his hand in the air looking for a flag. Of course, none came.

---------- Post added November-6th-2012 at 12:59 AM ----------

Well, I owe someone a dollar.

I'll take mine in small bills.

:silly:

the officials responsible for the whistle AND the ruling both need to be fired.

~Bang

Agreed. I thought part of the whole new agreement with these officials was to be able to hold them accountable for such times as these. Did that not get included? Either way, there is absolutely no reason to allow this kind of thing to happen, period. There is no excuse for allowing officating to affect the outcome of a game for any team. If teams hurt themselves with penalties, that's one thing. But calling TDs that are not, saying that he would have scored anyway...? That sounds like something fans would say, not officials. Inexcusable. Plain & simple.

It was a bad call. This was a poorly reffed game, all around.

I was jumping up and down, yelling, when they flagged the Panthers for delay of game, despite the fact that a ref was literally standing behind the center, so he couldn't snap the ball.

returnofthereplacements.gif

Horrible officiating across the board in this game.

I was jumping up and down, yelling, when they flagged the Panthers for delay of game, despite the fact that a ref was literally standing behind the center, so he couldn't snap the ball.

I've seen that gif around, but had to work and couldn't actually watch the game. What the hell was going on there? For the life of me, I can't figure out what he was thinking or trying to accomplish. :whoknows:

I've seen that gif around, but had to work and couldn't actually watch the game. What the hell was going on there? For the life of me, I can't figure out what he was thinking or trying to accomplish. :whoknows:

Apparently, while the play clock was still running, the ref had the idea to jump behind center, to count how many players the Panthers had on the field.

Some Panther fans are claiming that the ref did it so the Skins had enough time to switch a couple players... but, I don't see it, considering they screwed over both teams to some degree throughout the game.

---------- Post added November-6th-2012 at 12:22 PM ----------

I hope it was the same ref that was in this gif.

refowned_medium.gif

This was beyond a bad call.

The actual bad call was blowing the whistle on DeAngelo Williams for being out of bounds when he wasn't, however, once the whistle blows it's a dead ball, REGARDLESS.

Sorry, not the true topic of the thread, but Is this true? Can't fumbles be recovered AFTER the whistle has blown the play dead? I believe even if the whistle blows and someone clearly recovers a fumble, upon review the possession can change, right?

To be fair, they were playing against the Redskins defense. That's about as close to a guarantee you can get.

Sadly you're right.

I think when the whistle blew Williams had already beaten every defender except Riley who stopped but was not guaranteed to catch Williams. Not defending the refs botch up, mind.

Sorry, not the true topic of the thread, but Is this true? Can't fumbles be recovered AFTER the whistle has blown the play dead? I believe even if the whistle blows and someone clearly recovers a fumble, upon review the possession can change, right?
No. If the whistle is blown too early, it doesn't count as a fumble.

Sadly you're right.

I think when the whistle blew Williams had already beaten every defender except Riley who stopped but was not guaranteed to catch Williams. Not defending the refs botch up, mind.

Doesn't matter. Even if the runner has gotten by everyone and there's no chance of the defense catching him, if the whistle blows, the play is dead.

Doesn't matter. Even if the runner has gotten by everyone and there's no chance of the defense catching him, if the whistle blows, the play is dead.

All that is very true, but the thing that makes it worse in my opinion is that the ref not only blew the whistle, but he stood on the sideline waiving his arms over his head to signal to stop the clock because the runner had stepped out of bounds. Visual and audible stoppage of the play.

No. If the whistle is blown too early, it doesn't count as a fumble.

You're positive on this? I seem to recall plays where the ref blows the whistle, signaling an incomplete pass, but upon review it shows a completion and then a fumble. If it's clearly recovered by a team, that team can get awarded the ball.

---------- Post added November-6th-2012 at 02:54 PM ----------

Not my example, but see this article:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/The-greatly-flawed-rule-on-recovering-fumbles-af?urn=nfl,207503

Of course the rule could've been changed by now...

Back on topic. We deserved to lose that game. I did not want us to win that game. That probably sounds bad, but I don't want the team to think that they can play so horrible and still win. It's not acceptable. We need a new defensive coach. We need a new special teams coach. Shanny can stay, as long as he doesn't keep his coaches because they are his "buddies." The bad call by the ref shouldn't matter. We should be able to win even WITH bad calls. Hail!

So, when the Bears beat the Panthers the week before, their fans should have not wanted them to win it? I don't care if we have 10 total yards, 12 penalties, 3 missed field goals and 2 first downs. If we win the game 3-0, a win is a win. That's all that counts. Win pretty, win ugly, win lucky but just win. Winning is the object of the game. nobody gets style points. I want them to win EVERY game. I want to go 19-0 every year even though it will never happen. What kind of fan are you?

You're positive on this? I seem to recall plays where the ref blows the whistle, signaling an incomplete pass, but upon review it shows a completion and then a fumble. If it's clearly recovered by a team, that team can get awarded the ball.

That is a completely different circumstance of reviewing if it was a completion vs. an incompletion, which is reviewable. If i'm wrong, I apologize, put I'm pretty sure that if it is the way it works.

Archived