Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: NFL admits mistake on DeAngelo Williams TD

Hitman21ST

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8597394/nfl-says-carolina-panthers-td-run-counted

ASHBURN, Va. -- The NFL said Monday that a 30-yard touchdown run by Carolina Panthers running back DeAngelo Williams against the Washington Redskins should not have counted because of an inadvertent whistle.

The league said that the Panthers should have instead been offered the ball at the 17-yard line -- at the point where line judge Thomas Symonette blew his whistle because he mistakenly thought Williams had stepped out of bounds. Under the rules, Carolina could have also chosen to replay the down at the 30.

And Graz weighs in on it:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/45301/nfl-admits-officials-wronged-redskins

The league also announced Monday that water is wet and that the sun had indeed risen in the East.

I mean, come on, right? The postgame explanation the officials offered for blowing that play was some of the weakest made-up excuse-making we've heard in years. This is from the transcript of referee Carl Cheffers' interview:

"The line judge blew his whistle. We had a lot of discussion about it. We just felt when the whistle blew, that the player would have already scored a touchdown. So, we tried to piece together if we had to spot -- by rule, we would have to put him down when the whistle blew, and we tried to decide where that spot would be, and we felt that spot would be in the end zone."

Huh?

Cheffers's explanation makes it even worse. They decided that, at the exact second the LJ blew his whistle Williams accelerated to the speed of sound to get to the end zone.

Could this be a doorway into getting our $18M cap hit back next year?

how did you get this

Could this be a doorway into getting our $18M cap hit back next year?

out of this?

i do agree with the ridiculousness of the whole scenario though. bad call, bad reaction by the refs to the initial bad call. but imo, he would have scored anyway, so im not gonna get bent out of shape.

The NFL openly admitted they made a mistake. If we pursue action on that issue (which isn't necessarily out of the question), the cap space could be returned as recompense.

a bad call, which the result of which was what would have happened had there not been the initial whistle, does not seem equal to 18 mil in cap space.

The NFL openly admitted they made a mistake. If we pursue action on that issue (which isn't necessarily out of the question), the cap space could be returned as recompense.

While I'm a fan of anything that could return that cap space I just don't see any relevance between the NFL admitting a bad call (which isn't unprecedented) and overturning a judgement regarding something completely different.

so really we lost 14-13? cool :) only a 1 point loss. looks like we didnt get beaten that badly after all

Not sure if this was a joke or not, but that *could* have drastically changed the game. I'm not saying for sure that they wouldn't have scored, but just going by what you said, we would have gone for two and could have tied it.

a bad call, which the result of which was what would have happened had there not been the initial whistle, does not seem equal to 18 mil in cap space.
While I'm a fan of anything that could return that cap space I just don't see any relevance between the NFL admitting a bad call (which isn't unprecedented) and overturning a judgement regarding something completely different.

That wasn't just a "bad call" though. A "bad call" is a missed penalty or the like. This was the referees making **** up on the spot directly in disagreement with the rule (which they said they knew). They ignored what the written rule was and made up something that they thought would be better.

Sound familiar?

Not sure if this was a joke or not, but that *could* have drastically changed the game. I'm not saying for sure that they wouldn't have scored, but just going by what you said, we would have gone for two and could have tied it.

lol nope not a joke. this does basically mean the score should have been 14-13. yea ur right we dont know if the panthers would have still scored had the refs not given them the touchdown. but it definitely could have changed the game.

Frankly one of the worst calls I've seen. Not that it had an effect on the outcome of the game, it's just alarming that no member of the crew realized how idiotic the call was before it was too late.

Who knows? Anything can happen between the 17 yd line and the goal line. Int, fumble, sack, missed FG. You never know.

well, let's see: This week the NFL awarded a TD where none should have been, last week an NFL official got in a player's face enough that the ref is being investigated.

If enough add up.....

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the refs are on their best behavior for the rest of the season.

---------- Post added November-5th-2012 at 10:02 PM ----------

Who knows? Anything can happen between the 17 yd line and the goal line. Int, fumble, sack, missed FG. You never know.

and they apparently lied to our coach about why they were confering

That wasn't just a "bad call" though. A "bad call" is a missed penalty or the like. This was the referees making **** up on the spot directly in disagreement with the rule (which they said they knew). They ignored what the written rule was and made up something that they thought would be better.

Sound familiar?

A bad call is a bad call is a bad call. Teams have never been compensated for it after the fact and never will.

I hope you don't take this the wrong way because I like you as a poster but you're really grasping here.

Well, I owe someone a dollar.

the explanation Iheard today was that the refs huddled and decided hed have scored anyway.

well, hell, i say we'll beat the Eagles 42-3... so may as well make it real.

the officials responsible for the whistle AND the ruling both need to be fired.

~Bang

A bad call is a bad call is a bad call. Teams have never been compensated for it after the fact and never will.

I hope you don't take this the wrong way because I like you as a poster but you're really grasping here.

No offense taken, I said that knowing more than likely we wouldn't, but I don't think it's absurd.

This is in the same ballpark as the cap hit "explanation" if you think about it:

Cap hit: The CBA stated in writing that there would be no cap if a new CBA was not agreed on, which it wasn't, and we used it to our advantage. After the fact, the NFL gets together and invented the "spirit of the cap" and we were punished for it.

TD run: The rule states that the play is dead when the whistle blows. We stop playing when the whistle blows. The refs get together and say they "felt that Williams was in the end zone" when he wasn't anywhere near. The "spirit of the TD" if you will.

---------- Post added November-5th-2012 at 10:14 PM ----------

Well, I owe someone a dollar.

the explanation Iheard today was that the refs huddled and decided hed have scored anyway.

well, hell, i say we'll beat the Eagles 42-3... so may as well make it real.

the officials responsible for the whistle AND the ruling both need to be fired.

~Bang

That's the exact issue at hand. If the refs "decide" a team should win, this farce of an explanation would allow that.

I don't usually post, but I'm watching the Iggles and Saints game and the referees are horrible. So many bad calls! I'm so sorry but if I went to work, and made as many mistakes as they do....I would be out of a job. I bet the refs wouldn't make the same mistakes if they could lose their job or if they were fined...I mean if players can get fined for making mistakes then shouldn't refs? I mean they are all over paid anyways.

Back on topic. We deserved to lose that game. I did not want us to win that game. That probably sounds bad, but I don't want the team to think that they can play so horrible and still win. It's not acceptable. We need a new defensive coach. We need a new special teams coach. Shanny can stay, as long as he doesn't keep his coaches because they are his "buddies." The bad call by the ref shouldn't matter. We should be able to win even WITH bad calls. Hail!

Archived