Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Election day advice from a strange source

Bang

So yesterday, I'm watching NFL pregame on NFL network, and of all people, Michael Irvin said one of the most profound statements I've heard in a LONG time, and it may serve us well to maybe reflect on it.

He was talking about a piece they had done about Ravens teammates Brendan Ajabendejo, who supports same sex marriage, and Matt Birk, who does not. (Both have been outspoken on it)

He made a football analogy, but it was a remark that can stretch across so many of the divides we face as a nation, that it made me really think about it. The comment he made was this:

"I wish people could experience the world through that locker room setting, because it's just a different thing. We can come in and have differences of opinion, but nothing overrides the common goal.

OK, so we have a difference of opinion here, but it won't be about a fight between us, it will be about a fight to find a solution.

That's the difference in a locker room. We do it on every play, we say, hey, i think we should do ths, and someone says no we shoud do it like that.. no no no.. we're not fighting each other.. we're fighting to find a solution.

I wish the whole world could experience that, because sometimes we lose focus on finding solutions, because we want to win the fight."

Very wise words from a surprising source.

(actually not so surprising.. Irvin has become a very astute analyst, and many things he says can be read a number of different ways. Not a fan of the player, but I respect his being able to use his past experiences, both good and bad, to form a rather thoughtful individual. I'm a fan of his now.)

We fight to win the fight.

We need to remember our common goal, and fight to find a solution.

Tomorrow when you're out there, vote your conscience, but remember that the people who will vote the other way are not your enemy. We have a common goal.

~Bang

Couldn't agree with you more. While I tend to hold political beliefs that align with a certain philosophy, my number one belief is to do what's best for the nation. That needs to be our primary concern. Not what's best for the upper or lower classes, not what's best for the black or the white, not what's best for male or female, not what's best for conservative or liberal...what's best for the country as a whole.

We're all in this together.

Dammit Bang! I hate reading anything that crackhead says, much less agreeing with him.

I used to feel the same way,, but he's grown.

I must say, i do enjoy listening to him.. he's good analyzing football on TV (even if he's a horrible Cowboys homer).. I even listen to his podcast.

He often makes very good points, and I always gravitate to analysts who talk about the game as if we out here actually have a little knowledge.

~Bang

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=181827

In a brand new interview with RollingStone.com, MOTÖRHEAD mainman Lemmy Kilmister spoke about Barack Obama's performance as the 44th president of the United States, the first African-American to win the office. "I would have said America wasn't ready for [a black president]," Lemmy said. "And I don't think they were, because they're trying to drag him down now. I mean, the poor ****er's only just gotten rid of all that George Bush **** that he left, or is trying to. And he's being stonewalled by the ****ing Congress all the time. I don't know how he's gotten anything done. They should be glad. I mean the alternative is Mitt Romney. Please, please don't vote for Mitt Romney. **** him. Repeal abortion law is the first thing he'll do. ****ing monster."

I thought you were talking about this when I saw the thread. :D

Couldn't agree with you more. While I tend to hold political beliefs that align with a certain philosophy, my number one belief is to do what's best for the nation. That needs to be our primary concern. Not what's best for the upper or lower classes, not what's best for the black or the white, not what's best for male or female, not what's best for conservative or liberal...what's best for the country as a whole.

We're all in this together.

Also agree with this. Everytime I've voted, I've voted for what's in the best interest of the country.

Good ol' Lemmy.

But no,, the quote I put in the OP doesn't single out anyone or any ideology.

It's just a fine sentiment for us all, I think.

And particularly interesting given the source.

~Bang

I liked the OP. Americans haven't been on the same team in my lifetime. I don't think democracy is designed to be that way. A constitutional republic is.

Ervin making some sense? Wow, who woulda ever thunk it possible?

Anywho, I posted this in another thread but I think it's probably more relevant here. Regarding reconciliation and the ability (or lack thereof) to see beyond politics to what's really important, I listened to a great episode of TAL yesterday on this topic. It's definitely worth a listen.

Archived