Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP Insider - NFL looking into official’s conduct as part of probe of DeAngelo Hall incident (Updated 11-10, Rich Tandler article)

SWFLSkins

Much has been said about the D. Hall ejection on Sunday and the reason he lost control, not that there is a good reason to display an outburst, but I think this leaves you with a sense that indeed the referees were getting into personal territory and certainly failed to maintain their own job criteria. I have suffered as a coach the same kind of treatment and it makes your blood boil, but you must keep your cool. Just thought this should be posted for discussion...There must be some reason the NFL has yet to fine Hall and is now looking into the officials actions.......

By Mark Maske

The NFL is investigating DeAngelo Hall’s allegation of misconduct by an official as part of its probe of last weekend’s verbal confrontation that led to the cornerback’s ejection from the Washington Redskins’ loss at Pittsburgh, according to a person with knowledge of the case.

That aspect of the league’s review appears to be part of the reason that the league has not yet announced a fine of Hall. The person familiar with the case, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because the investigation is ongoing, said that such a thorough review “takes time.”

Hall remains eligible to play in the Redskins’ game Sunday against the Carolina Panthers at FedEx Field.

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?373263-WP-Insider-NFL-looking-into-official%92s-conduct-as-part-of-probe-of-DeAngelo-Hall-incident

Probably nothing will be found, but as far as I'm concerned the fact they're already looking into it is damning enough for the official. Officials are almost always untouchable, the fact that there's even discussion one of them might have done wrong is almost as good as an admission of guilt, even though it's not.

The other angle I could see though, is Goodell trying to find fault with the regular officials to open discussions and gain leverage for talks somewhere down the road. Doubtful on that, but I wouldn't put it past him.

A dollar says they find nothing wrong with anything the official did.

~Bang

agreed and as well i think that hall let sanders get into his head which makes this all the more worse. yes the league will cover it up and cover the officials ass because that is the integrity of the game at stake. however after the strike the owners may be looking to set an example ..... and after what i have seen this year i think they should

I was wondering what was taking so long with how much Hall will be fined. Especially with the league stating that he would be days ago. Hail.

Cause they were probably going to try and suspense Hall the day before the Panthers game, just to screw with the Skins some more. Maybe Shanny comments about suspending Hall late in the week would be different than normal procedure, got the league to back off.

The officiating in that game was suspect to say the least (6 "judgment call" type penalties against the 'skins to only 1 against the Steelers). I would be very surprised if the league issued any real reprimand to the officials in this case, although I think the league investigating referee misconduct in the game says something about how bad it was.

It is interesting that Hall's penalty has not been announced (although it has been reported in multiple places that he will not be suspended). You might chalk this delay up to the league office being closed because of Sandy, but I think it is plausible that the league is taking some time to review the case. I remember Hall said his agent was going to try to set up some kind of meeting between him and the commissioner about this. I have not heard if they ever had the meeting or what came of it. How nice it would be to be a fly on the wall in that room!

I think the problem with biased officiating might be something too big for Goodell to really tackle. Look at what happened with Donaghy and the NBA as an example of how deep this issue might run. The NFL does not need press like that, and hopefully Goodell could keep stuff like that which Donaghy alleged against the NBA from happening in the NFL at all, but my fear is that it could be happening already. If the problem is as bad as the one in the NBA, I cannot begin to imagine how the commish might solve it. Hopefully it is not that bad, but sometimes I wonder.

~Bang

But doesn't the new contract with these refs include punishment or discpline for just these type of things? Or am I wrong about that? Personally, if the League wants to prove to us that they aren't out to get us for being the Redskins, this would be a good way to show that. Stop singling us out & bullying us by fining us for every infraction that is or isn't. The League should fine the ref, make an example of him.

~Bang

I agree Bang, but obviously the guy took it to a level it should not have gone to. As I said I have been in that position as a coach, more than once. Where the official took criticism of calls to a personal level. IMO, it should never go there.

Just curious, do you mean the official probably did nothing wrong, or they will cover up what the official did to make hall look bad?

I bet a dollar he meant the latter.

This team will improve with the subtraction of D. Hall from its roster. He represents the 'old Skins' to me and I was hoping Snyder would treat him like Cundiff. The secondary would see little fall off, it really can't get worse. If you all are thinking, 'he's our best DB', think again. A young, hungry player will improve team around him more than this overpaid, self-inflated dope.

Please cut 'Mr. I got millions riding on these calls ref' ASAP. What a joke of a football player and person. How many times can you listen to a guy who always seems to find fault in others.

~Bang

I agree, and we all know Hall will be fined.

---------- Post added November-4th-2012 at 09:55 AM ----------

T The secondary would see little fall off, it really can't get worse. If you all are thinking, 'he's our best DB', think again. A young, hungry player will improve team around him more than this overpaid, self-inflated dope.

The problem is we don't have that young hungry player right now, thanks to Mara and a 30 million dollar cap, so Hall is the best one we have for now. He just needs to grow up, his penalty sure didn't lose this game for us and it sure wasn't as big of a mistake as the receiver who threw the ball at the Rams defender and cost us a chance to win that game.

But that ref did or said something to have coach Shanny screaming at him, Hall cursing him and the NFL looking onto him.

if the refs start making calls for what people say to them, this game will become what the NBA is today. this is the best sport in america. do not let words dictate what happens on the field. this is football. talking ish is what happens on every play. what i love about this game is the players decide the outcome of games by what happens on the field. not by what comes out of their mouth, like basketball. if the refs start calling penalties for words. this sport will go to hell in a hand basket. no pun intended. just my $.02

The saga continues.

Anybody who thinks this is all just bad luck and coincidence is sadly mistaken. The refs and the league bigwigs clearly want to keep us down. The evidence is pretty overwhelming at this point.

As Emerson said, "Shallow men believe in luck or in circumstance. Strong men believe in cause and effect."

Just curious, do you mean the official probably did nothing wrong, or they will cover up what the official did to make hall look bad?

I mean the NFL will always back their officials. They will never make an example of any of them until after the season, and they'll only do that quietly.. meaning next year they'll be demoted or you just won't see them.

They do it every time, and my dollar is on them doing it again.

And another dollar says that whoever made the decision to allow a Panthers TD when a whistle was clearly blown will never be reprimanded in any way that will ever be public.

~Bang

I'll see your dollar and raise you a pancake.

I see your pancake and I'll eat it.

The fact they are looking into this says a lot. But, if the official was at fault or made a mistake it probably won't be made public; it rarely is. I can remember at incident years ago they admitted a mistake that cost the Seahawks a game and it was made public, but also stated they normally do not. It's more to evaluate officials for merit and decide who gets to officiate playoffs/

Archived