Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HTTR 24-7; Youth of the (Redskins) Nation; Developing Young Wide Receivers

KCClybun

Leonard+Hankerson+Washington+Redskins+v+St+riTGsstckY8l.jpg

Click here to read more.

Robert Griffin III had his worst game as a pro, but the media at large has been hesitant to chalk it up to a typical rookie game. It’s likely that the game is completely different if half of the dropped balls. The loss was frustrating, because as is usually the case with the Redskins offense, it usually beats itself. (This is unlike the defense, which just gets beat.)

The Redskins receiving core dropped 10 balls in the game. The weather didn’t help, but it wasn’t exactly raining cats and dogs, and they were wearing gloves.

And Robert didn’t always deliver the best ball either. Dezmon Briscoe’s first and only catch (after dropping one in the end zone) came on a pass that was behind him. Still, if the ball hits you in the hands, you’re expected to catch it.

But it’s been interesting, watching the reaction the receiving core having a bad game; moreover, it’s been interesting seeing certain Redskins fans twist themselves into pretzels trying to figure out how we could trade for disgruntled Kansas City Chiefs wide receiver Dwayne Bowe, since clearly our talent at wide receiver is beyond repair in their mind.

Click above to read more.

Well written, as always NLC. I'm trying to be patient. Not something I was gifted with and the Army didn't help at all. I can see where there are flashes of brilliance, and then just boneheaded or lazy streaks. We have a potentially great group here. They just need to put it all together.

I have been a skins fan for 32 years, a couple bad games isn't going to change that.

HAIL

Echoing my sentiments totally man.

But as you alluded to in the piece, as you've been reading even more of the past few days on here; patience is a virtue lacking in many.

Perspective, realism, understanding (insert further applicable words at your leisure) are also sadly lacking.

W's are ALL that matter. Did you miss the memo?

Hail.

There are bad weeks for drops, and then there's BAD weeks for drops. Sunday was the latter. You go back out next week and fix those things the best you can.

Take solace in the fact that we're missing out #1 guy, and most of the guys who had drops (Hank, Paul, Robinson, Briscoe) are all young and still developing. No reason they can't grow.

And the reason no one is talking badly about Griffin is because he didn't have an INT. He was highly efficient, and the only reason he didn't have a 2 or 3 TD, no INT day is because of drops. All the experts (except maybe that ESPN moron who was trying to say Luck was better because of QBR) realize this, and thus aren't hitting him for it.

I questioned the talent evaluators in your last Haslett thread, but it was intended just as a viewpoint to put forward. I fully agree there's no point throwing any of our young receivers under a bus just yet. Sure, there are other teams that seem to find talent better in the later rounds, but I'll wager it's because they already have better talent ahead of them on the roster and those diamonds in the rough stay on the bench until they're ready. There's been a lot of turnover at the position in recent years and it hasn't yielded much. Time to try a different angle.

I want to be patient but man Hankerson made me break so many damn remotes. I can deal with drops from Grossman and Beck but dont mess up Griffins completion % that's a no no!

I know right! They made Robert's completion % go down to 6th in the league and now he has little to no media coverage this week because of this loss. Don't know how I'm gonna make it to Sunday now! ****!! :silly:

Sure, there are other teams that seem to find talent better in the later rounds, but I'll wager it's because they already have better talent ahead of them on the roster and those diamonds in the rough stay on the bench until they're ready. There's been a lot of turnover at the position in recent years and it hasn't yielded much. Time to try a different angle.

I think the QB's like Rodgers, Brees, Manning, just make average to below average receivers look that much better. Even a couple of the Packers receivers drop more than their share of balls but people still act like they have all these great elite receivers.

And the reason no one is talking badly about Griffin is because he didn't have an INT. He was highly efficient, and the only reason he didn't have a 2 or 3 TD, no INT day is because of drops. All the experts (except maybe that ESPN moron who was trying to say Luck was better because of QBR) realize this, and thus aren't hitting him for it.

I don't know that you can really say that. Briscoe and Hankerson each dropped touchdowns but we still ultimately scored on that drive. I don't recall any other drops that you could definitively say would have lead to passing touchdowns. Sure we would have had sustained drives if our guys could catch but that doesn't mean they would have ended with RGIII throwing it for a score. If anything it's more likely he would have taken it in himself or handed it to Morris.

Yeah. The receiving corp.hasn't rivaled the Greatest Show On Turf. At the same time they haven't played as badly as they did in Pitts every game.

I'm not for revamping the entire group because of one horrendous (and it was really, really bad) game. Give them time to grow because we really don't have many options.

kind of on topic since it regards the drops of the younger receivers but....

does anyone have the actual play-by-play, I haven't been able to find the key points to where and when the drops occurred and would love to see a breakdown of it.

All I keep hearing is that RG3 looked like a rookie, was contained, couldn't run, etc. (2 runs were at the end of the half to get a little breathing room off of the 1/2 yard line, 1 fumble jumped on, 1 kneel down), I really don't think the Steelers played that great defensively - it just seemed that every time a drive was going to be kept alive, a drop occurred (whether it would have been 2 or 3rd and short or a 1st down)

*EDIT - found a link with video for every drop

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/video-nine-drops-redskins-receivers-put-asterisk-rg3-001337930--nfl.html

**Royster had a ton of room to run on that screen play with under 2 min. in the 1st half

If I'm getting paid millions of dollars, I'm going to dive head first toward a linebacker. You can't be afraid as a professional athlete.

1.) Easier said than done.

2.) If Hank does that and gets a concussion we're all sitting here talking about how injury prone he is, guaranteed.

I am still very encouraged by this group and think it's our deepest group of WRs in a long time. Garcon showed that he can be a consistent force once healthy. Moss is still contributing out of the slot. Morgan is doing a nice job as a possession receiver and is a very, very good blocker. Hankerson gets open and just needs to tighten up and make the plays that he puts himself in position to make. The guy I am most excited about is Robinson...he just looks the part when he's in there. I would like to see him eventually replace Moss in the slot.

Let's take a look at some of the WR's drafted in 2011 who are 23 years old or younger (So Hankerson's age). Some guys aren't on this list because they're older. Guys who are ahead of him but not included due to age are Andrew Hawkins (26), AJ Green (24), Jeremy Kerley and Denarius Moore (both 24 and about to turn 25).

http://pfref.com/tiny/qnEax

He's 5th on this list and right behind Titus Young. He's not doing poorly enough to warrant a whole lot of criticism. We aren't contending with the Giants in the division this year, we can afford some growing pains. Since Hankerson is only 23, he's still got plenty of time to develop.

One question:

Moss is old, and slated to get a lot more money next year than I think he'll deserve at his age and usefulness (though I should say I love the guy to death). He's slated to make something like 4.15M next year in base salary, and with the signing bonus (5M across 3 years) he should be due another 1.66M, bringing his total cap hit to approximately 5.8M for 2013.

That's a lot of money, and I think we either need to rework his deal or cut him.

Now, IF we were to cut Moss, who would take his place as the slot guy. Garcon and Morgan are outside guys. Is Robinson the answer in the slot? Hank? Or do we need to potentially draft someone?

---------- Post added October-31st-2012 at 02:53 PM ----------

Let's take a look at some of the WR's drafted in 2011 who are 23 years old or younger (So Hankerson's age). Some guys aren't on this list because they're older. Guys who are ahead of him but not included due to age are Andrew Hawkins (26), AJ Green (24), Jeremy Kerley and Denarius Moore (both 24 and about to turn 25).

http://pfref.com/tiny/qnEax

He's 5th on this list and right behind Titus Young. He's not doing poorly enough to warrant a whole lot of criticism. We aren't contending with the Giants in the division this year, we can afford some growing pains. Since Hankerson is only 23, he's still got plenty of time to develop.

And I think his problems are largely fixable. Someone like Young, with attitude problems, is going to be a wild card going forward, while Hank's problems are his focus. If he learns to catch the ball before starting to run up field, he's probably #4 on that list, which isn't bad considering Jones, Cobb, and Smith are really good WRs in pass heavy offenses (Baltimore less so, but Smith is rapidly becoming the #1 target).

One question:

Moss is old, and slated to get a lot more money next year than I think he'll deserve at his age and usefulness (though I should say I love the guy to death). He's slated to make something like 4.15M next year in base salary, and with the signing bonus (5M across 3 years) he should be due another 1.66M, bringing his total cap hit to approximately 5.8M for 2013.

That's a lot of money, and I think we either need to rework his deal or cut him.

Now, IF we were to cut Moss, who would take his place as the slot guy. Garcon and Morgan are outside guys. Is Robinson the answer in the slot? Hank? Or do we need to potentially draft someone.

I think ideally they'd like Robinson to take that role. Shanny has already said Hank can sort of play the slot, but I don't think it really suits him, at least not right now.

I've also been keeping my eye on Tavon Austin. I don't think he'll be around by time we pick, and even if he is I'm not sure we draft him, but I'd seriously consider it if he was available at that pick.

I was so excited for Briscoe to make the team, he was solid in preseason but I dont think the few passes he has had thrown to him in the regular season has been justified. I think he is more talented than Hankerson, I followed him at Tampa last year ( fantasy ) and he produced for them. I think he deserves another chance.

Our WR corp is all hype. The only one that has good potential in Pierre Garcon.

Morgan has impressed. He drops balls, and doesn't deserve the big payday he got. The 49ers were elated to see him go.

Moss is getting old, and while does make plays, he also drops as many balls!

We need tall, physical, speedy WRs like the Ravens, Steelers, Giants, Cowturds.

Archived