Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Previews of Coming Attractions: Upcoming New Movies (Thoughts and Info on Movies That Don't Have Their Own Thread Yet).

Jumbo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Chew, name 1 movie that changed your life forever.  Your all-time, hands down, favorite film.  Terminator 2.  

And apparently this joint takes place in the T2: Judgement Day timeline, none of the other movies after that ever happened.  

GOOSEBUMPS.  :o

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Chew said:

Chew, name 1 movie that changed your life forever.  Your all-time, hands down, favorite film.  Terminator 2.  

And apparently this joint takes place in the T2: Judgement Day timeline, none of the other movies after that ever happened.  

GOOSEBUMPS.  :o

This looks like it could be good.  I like Mackenzie Davis a lot.  She was great in Halt and Catch Fire.  

I know what I'm about to say is going to ruffle some feathers because I know some are going to take it the wrong way and that's fine.  I also don't give a Frenchman's ****.  

I'm tired of the trend in Hollywood of reboots with female lead actresses.  And that's not meant to be a sexist statement (even though some of you will undoubtedly take it that way), I'm not saying I don't like female actresses, I'm not saying I don't like female characters.  Lord knows Sarah Connor is one of the biggest badasses in any movie, T1 and T2, she's fantastic.  

I'm saying if your reboot relies on promoting a woman as a way to sell tickets and gain interest and doesn't have a good storyline or plot to stand on, that's sexist in and of itself.  Has this strategy ever worked?  The Ghostbusters remake was terrible.  The new MIB looks terrible.  If the only original (let's face it, it's not original) thing you can do is put a female in a lead role of an established franchise as a way to generate interest again and ignore all the other things that a movie needs to be great...that is weak and borderline insulting to anyone that has a bit of discerning taste.  Did Ghostbusters need a reboot anyway?  Was that necessary? Does MIB?  What's next, a reboot of Back to the Future with Lily Tomlin playing Doc Brown and Millie Bobbie Brown playing Marty?  I know Hollywood is in it to make money and if they're making money off stuff like that, well, mission accomplished.  Doesn't mean it was good.

I am hoping the story for this Terminator movie is fantastic because if all you're doing is trotting out Mackenzie Davis, Linda Hamilton, Arnold Schwarzenegger and slapping James Cameron's name on it as a producer (not director, but he does have writing credits here) in hopes that they're reviving a dead franchise...well, it needs more than that.  Mackenzie Davis is a great actress, hopefully she's got a good storyline and plot to work with.   T1 and T2 are classics and if they're inserting this into that storyline and acting like the others didn't happen, it needs to be awesome on all levels.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

What's next, a reboot of Back to the Future with Lily Tomlin playing Doc Brown and Millie Bobbie Brown playing Marty? 

:rofl89:

Agree with you overall, though.  Hollywood pumping out all these remakes, relying on the name of the original and swapping out with a female lead to be edgy, is just crap.  The originals deserve better.  Blatant money grab, and you can't shame the shameless in the movie industry who green light these monstrosities.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chew said:

:rofl89:

Agree with you overall, though.  Hollywood pumping out all these remakes, relying on the name of the original and swapping out with a female lead to be edgy, is just crap.  The originals deserve better.  Blatant money grab, and you can't shame the shameless in the movie industry who green light these monstrosities.  

Agreed, the originals do deserve better.

So if this new Terminator movie is indeed a reboot of sorts, I hope it does well.  

Curious to see how they work Arnold back into the storyline.

7 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

This looks like it could be good.  I like Mackenzie Davis a lot.  She was great in Halt and Catch Fire.  

I know what I'm about to say is going to ruffle some feathers because I know some are going to take it the wrong way and that's fine.  I also don't give a Frenchman's ****.  

I'm tired of the trend in Hollywood of reboots with female lead actresses.  And that's not meant to be a sexist statement (even though some of you will undoubtedly take it that way), I'm not saying I don't like female actresses, I'm not saying I don't like female characters.  Lord knows Sarah Connor is one of the biggest badasses in any movie, T1 and T2, she's fantastic.  

I'm saying if your reboot relies on promoting a woman as a way to sell tickets and gain interest and doesn't have a good storyline or plot to stand on, that's sexist in and of itself.  Has this strategy ever worked?  The Ghostbusters remake was terrible.  The new MIB looks terrible.  If the only original (let's face it, it's not original) thing you can do is put a female in a lead role of an established franchise as a way to generate interest again and ignore all the other things that a movie needs to be great...that is weak and borderline insulting to anyone that has a bit of discerning taste.  Did Ghostbusters need a reboot anyway?  Was that necessary? Does MIB?  What's next, a reboot of Back to the Future with Lily Tomlin playing Doc Brown and Millie Bobbie Brown playing Marty?  I know Hollywood is in it to make money and if they're making money off stuff like that, well, mission accomplished.  Doesn't mean it was good.

I am hoping the story for this Terminator movie is fantastic because if all you're doing is trotting out Mackenzie Davis, Linda Hamilton, Arnold Schwarzenegger and slapping James Cameron's name on it as a producer (not director, but he does have writing credits here) in hopes that they're reviving a dead franchise...well, it needs more than that.  Mackenzie Davis is a great actress, hopefully she's got a good storyline and plot to work with.   T1 and T2 are classics and if they're inserting this into that storyline and acting like the others didn't happen, it needs to be awesome on all levels.  

My understanding is that the other Terminator movies are just different timelines not that they never happened. BTW  Fury Road was a great reboot with a female lead. 

Edited by nonniey
  • Like 1

Thought Tolkien was very enjoyable. I think it holds more appeal to avid fans because it’s not a grand production biopic and there’s not a whole lot of hit you over the head references to LOTR or The Hobbit, but if you’re a Tolkien reader you’ll definitely like it.

Nicholas Hoult and Lilly Collins surprised me with how well they performed and even though Derek Jacobi made a brief appearance he’s brilliant as always.

Definitely going in my collection when it’s released on whatever platform I’ll be using and something I could watch over and over. 

Since the Tolkien estate denounced this movie I have a fantasy in my head that they’re using it to gauge interest to possibly get Peter Jackson ready for the Silmarillion. 

• Like 1

Looks stupid and unrealistic.  Wouldn't be able to engage my willing suspension of disbelief for that.  I'd be laughing too hard.

At least Lake Placid didn't try to take itself seriously and was made to laugh at.

Edited by China
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, China said:

Looks stupid and unrealistic.  Wouldn't be able to engage my willing suspension of disbelief for that.  I'd be laughing too hard.

Most of Raimi's movies are stupid and unrealisitc, but I like them.  I didn't think Don't Breathe would be any good.  It turned out to be a lot of fun.  It does look ridiculous, but I'm betting on the artists here to make it work.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...