Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Previews of Coming Attractions: Upcoming New Movies (Thoughts and Info on Movies That Don't Have Their Own Thread Yet).

Jumbo

Matthew McConaughey

Christopher Nolan

Hans Zimmer

Deep Space

Yeah, I like its chances. This movie is going to be bananas. And if it isnt, I am going to cry  :(

I rarely get hyped over movies nowadays (even movies I want to see), so when I love hard, I expect to be rewarded. T minus 5 months before we blast off.  :)

Edited by Mr. Sinister
  • Like 3

I would seriously think about going if y'all set that up.

awww man, i'd so be down with that.  except I live 2,000 miles away :(

tailgate at a nearby watering hole for beers and burgers/wings, talk some redskins.  hit the movie.  chit chat for a bit afterwards about the movie in the parking lot, and head home.  B)

• Like 1

How the hell did I forget that we saw a preview for Interstellar....oh my god.

Just like the teaser trailers, they give us very little.  All the pre-space stuff.  Earth is dry, no food, life sucks, "Humans were born on earth but not meant to die here," blah blah.  But they showed a quick clip I'd not seen before.  Not a spoiler of any kind, because I have no idea what's going on.  But they showed Matthew and company deep in space, going into hypersleep, and then their space ship starts to open up and do all kinds of weird stuff....fade to black.  Then it shows the ship approaching a black hole.  we see a quick glimpse of event horison....and boom.  "Interstellar.  November 2014."

I still have no idea where they are gonna go with that movie but im really excited for it....will they find life on another planet? Hostile Aliens? Normal Earth life on another planet? So many ways they can go....I cant wait for it

Jupiter Ascending, a movie that was suppose to come out in less than 5 weeks, is now being pushed in February.

Seems a little odd to push it back this soon to release, no?

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/wachowskis-jupiter-ascending-abruptly-bumped-709184

Just reading through the article the mention of having to recover from the Adam Sandler blunder....what recent movie say last 5-10 years hasn't been a blunder...last decent movie was prob waterboy...maybe 50 first dates...but he just puts out crappy movie after crappy movie.

• Like 1

Spiderman 2 was good

no other spidey movies need be spoken of

Yeah.... I don't get that. The first 2 Spiderman's (2002/2004) with Tobey Maguire were really good, and got really good reviews IIRC. Spider-Man 3 was where I thought they panicked, cramming so many villains into one movie.

I saw the Spiderman  from 2012 last year, and I didn't really come away all that impressed, considering they didn't do anything very different plot wise from the first Spiderman, and that they did another origin story to boot. I thought the new Peter Parker (whatever his name is) was pretty annoying honestly. Haven't seen the second one though.

Just reading through the article the mention of having to recover from the Adam Sandler blunder....what recent movie say last 5-10 years hasn't been a blunder...last decent movie was prob waterboy...maybe 50 first dates...but he just puts out crappy movie after crappy movie.

I would agree. 50 First Dates, or Anger Management.

I thought Click was actually a decent Sandler movie but it wasn't really a comedy... 

Oh and I actually liked Zohan, though it dragged on just a tad too long. 

Before those, yeah you're going back to the early 2000s with 50 First Dates and most of his best stuff was mid to late 90s. 

Edited by skinsfan_1215

Catching up a bit here.  Yeah, that second Hercules trailer was less impressive than the first.  Hopefully it lands somewhere in the middle.

Kinda bummed about Jupiter Ascending.  I'm actually been quite happy with the Wachoski's output since the Matrix, tho given that it hasn't always delivered at the box office, I can see why WB is wary.

Adding a couple of animated films that I hadn't heard about before but look interesting:

Song Of The Sea, done by the director of Secret Of Kells:

The Book Of Life:

• Like 1

I think the problem is Sandler's comedy hasn't matured with his age. It's just kind of sad at this point.

I kind of think the opposite here.  I think Sandler suffers from the studios wanting his movies to "have meaning", so he winds up in movies that kinda hug the middle of the road.  I think his silly comedies were his best work.  Billy Madison still makes me laugh.

Interstellar will be huge.  I'm a big Nolan fan, and Following is my favorite film of his.  I'm not as big on McConaughey as most, but I expect Nolan will deliver another great flick.  I'm glad there are a few filmmakers still working that can mix art with a commercial appeal.  Event films are still awesome when they're good.

Jupiter Ascending getting pushed does not surprise me.  It's a turkey.  And if they're pushing to February, that's a horrible sign.  Most likely awful test screenings, and they will head back to the avid suites.  It is disappointing, because I think The Wachowski brothers are great filmmakers.  If you haven't seen Bound, it's worth a look.  Great film.

On the "push" note, I would like to add a bit of info that might help you when deciding whether to check out a film or not.  Basically, at the end of January - the end of April is a big dead period for studio films.  If the film was any good, they would release it in the summer or at Christmas.  And then, August - October is another dead period.

A lot of the films released in these dead periods are ones that have tested poorly, or that they have been sitting on for a year or more.  There are exceptions of course, but they are rare.  That's why your chances of seeing a disappointment greatly increases during that time frame.

In some worst case scenarios, studios will do what is called a "wide multiple" release.  This is when you see a movie get advertised a lot right before the release date, usually with actors you know.  Paranoia comes to mind with Oldman and Ford recently.  And you think "why haven't I heard about this film when it has such great actors?"  And the answer is because it is terrible.

The studios flood the airwaves with tons of advertising in an attempt to make as much money back on opening weekend.  They know after the opening, it will tank.

Just thought I'd share. :)

On the "push" note, I would like to add a bit of info that might help you when deciding whether to check out a film or not.  Basically, at the end of January - the end of April is a big dead period for studio films.  If the film was any good, they would release it in the summer or at Christmas.  And then, August - Oct8ber is another dead period.

While historically it has been true, good movies have been bleeding back as far as Feb now.  I mean, look at 'The LEGO Movie', or 'The Winter Soldier'  Course, I remember when 'The Matrix' came out on an April, and that was considered very early at the time when the summer season was thought to start around Memorial Day.  So no, February isn't considered a death sentence anymore.

But, being pushed back from the summer to Feb isn't a good sign, particularly with the short notice. The hope is that it does the film some good, but many times there isn't much you can do in the editing room to fix what is broken.  Don't know if they are going to do some reshoots.

BTW, you missed another sign of a bad movie: the film wasn't screened for reviews.

I must be in the severe minority,, i have never really liked Sandler..  he's like the twelfth-funniest guy in your middle school made it big.

The only film of his I've liked was "Anger Management", and he played the straight role in that..   and btw,, i loved that movie. Nicholson's hystericaly funny... Woody Harrelson is a riot, and when Nicholson shoots the water pistol at the monks,, holy crap i nearly lost it.

~Bang

• Like 1

There has been a lot of work going on right outside my window the last few days, building some small structures, and loading about a mile of cable.  Co-workers and I had been were wondering if they are getting ready to do some filing.  Now they just started putting some lights up there.  Here's a pic I just took from my chair (using maybe half the iPhone's zoom capability)

insurgent_zps27123c2b.jpg

Whatever it is that they're filming, I will have a great view of it. 

cool

Edited by Bliz

Catching up a bit here.  Yeah, that second Hercules trailer was less impressive than the first.  Hopefully it lands somewhere in the middle.

Kinda bummed about Jupiter Ascending.  I'm actually been quite happy with the Wachoski's output since the Matrix, tho given that it hasn't always delivered at the box office, I can see why WB is wary.

Adding a couple of animated films that I hadn't heard about before but look interesting:

Song Of The Sea, done by the director of Secret Of Kells:

The Book Of Life:

both of those movies look pretty neat! 

If you're into anime/claymation, have you ever seen "Mary and Max?"  One of my top 20 favorite movies I've ever seen.  Simply beautiful film.  Such a cute movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMCiK3eZIFc

Fantascit Mr. Fox with Brad Pitt was great, too.  And "Nine" was also really, really good. 

Edited by Chew

There has been a lot of work going on right outside my window the last few days, building some small structures, and loading about a mile of cable.  Co-workers and I had been were wondering if they are getting ready to do some filing.  Now they just started putting some lights up there.  Here's a pic I just took from my chair (using maybe half the iPhone's zoom capability)

...and on cue a memo from my building about them filming the movie "Mineral" here.  There's a casting call out too:

http://www.claimfame.com/casting-call/new-lionsgate-film-mineral-casting-now/

"SEEKING MEN AND WOMEN- with the following background(s): Police Force, Security, Trained Military (ALL BRANCHES, including foreign military), ROTC, Trained Fighters, Trained Martial Artists, Extreme Cross Fit Types, Current & Former Athletes, Gym Rats, and anyone whose body could be considered a weapon. EVERYONE APPLYING MUST BE EXTREMELY PHYSICALLY FIT. "

And it references Hunger Games, Twilight and Divergent.  So, pretty clear what kind of movie this is going to be.

I can kick almost as high as my waist.  So...pretty sure that means my body could be considered a weapon.