Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL Turning Point - RGIII vs Vikings & Giants (MET)

jpillian

Honestly, after watching that I'm not as angry as I was before about the TD to Cruz. It was simply an amazing play made by Eli who was perfectly in tune with what Cruz was going to do based on that coverage. The call by Haz to have Williams focused on the outside breaking routes wasn't bad considering that's how Cruz beat so many other teams this year. It's just too bad Williams isn't someone who can recover from a surprise route like that. I honestly believe if that was Meriweather then, at worst, it's a catch and a tackle.

The lesson though is to disguise our Safety looks a tiny bit better. Madeiu should've figured he lined up like that a bunch of times now and it was only a matter of time before Eli and Cruz adjusted. Had he lined up normally but then at the snap or right after made his way to the outside it would've caused Eli to hesitate one more second and we would've had the sack cuz that was the difference.

God, I'm just hoping all of this becomes a source of knowledge and we just get better because of it. It's unfortunate cuz our secondary actually had a decent game up until that point against an elite offense.

Honestly, after watching that I'm not as angry as I was before about the TD to Cruz. It was simply an amazing play made by Eli who was perfectly in tune with what Cruz was going to do based on that coverage. The call by Haz to have Williams focused on the outside breaking routes wasn't bad considering that's how Cruz beat so many other teams this year. It's just too bad Williams isn't someone who can recover from a surprise route like that. I honestly believe if that was Meriweather then, at worst, it's a catch and a tackle.

The lesson though is to disguise our Safety looks a tiny bit better. Madeiu should've figured he lined up like that a bunch of times now and it was only a matter of time before Eli and Cruz adjusted. Had he lined up normally but then at the snap or right after made his way to the outside it would've caused Eli to hesitate one more second and we would've had the sack cuz that was the difference.

God, I'm just hoping all of this becomes a source of knowledge and we just get better because of it. It's unfortunate cuz our secondary actually had a decent game up until that point against an elite offense.

I agree with this, Willson is a very average safety to cover someone like Cruz. Put a decent safety back there and this is covered, or at least it doesn't go 77 yards.

Man this shows everyone how good our offense is working together. I also love how we always beat them up with Morris, then open up the play action. They know its coming but they can't do crap about it. I also ABSOLUTELY love Griffin critiques himself and learns from his mistakes. We have one special offense this year that's for sure.

Its an awful shame our defense is so bad. This team could really be something special this year.

This team could really be something special this year.

It already is. I think many people said 7-8 wins this year, so this should not be heartbreaking to most of us. With Robert, we are in every game, and the Skins are special because of him RIGHT NOW.

Some might argue this team has a couple years, but I would argue that RG3 is a once in a lifetime type player and can win it all THIS YEAR.

He has overcome bad defense before. The year he won the Heisman Trophy the Baylor defense was ranked in the 100's, and could not stop the run OR the pass. In many games he was down 2-3 scores and still did his thing. Once this offense starts gellin and we get Garcon back, this team is going to start throttling opposing defenses, get up 2-3 scores, and put their foot on teams neck. None of this close game stuff anymore.

The goal should be 35-42 points every week, then we don't have to rely on this patchwork defense.

Hes amazing and was worth everything we gave up for him....just add a Brandon Marshall like receiver and its over......

We have a beast at WR and his name is Pierre Garcon. Not saying you're doing this, but I don't get why he's being so overlooked right now. All throughout the offseason our coaches were gushing about him. Then, he proceeded to be a monster throughout training camp and was clearly the best WR on the field during preseason. Then, the first two series he was healthy against the Saints he absolutely dismantled their secondary and in a matter of a couple of plays had over 100 yards and a TD.

Honestly, when did we ever have a WR look like that for ANY stretch, whether through preseason or not, since maybe Santana Moss in 2005? Why is Garcon constantly overlooked by us fans because he got an incredibly unfortunate injury to start his career as a Redskin that has sidelined him now for essentially the season up to this point?

I can't way until he gets back and is healthy. The guy is a game changer. All this talk of needing another no. 1 WR will go away. We've got one, and his name is Pierre Garcon.

Why is Garcon constantly overlooked by us fans because he got an incredibly unfortunate injury to start his career as a Redskin that has sidelined him now for essentially the season up to this point?

Exactly for that reason. Right now he's essentially this years version of Laron Landry.

It might let the DC off the hook a bit but the safety still messed up, as Cruz going deep was key. If he went inside or out was not a factor, as the safety was more or less in the right place. He did not turn his body quick enough to cover the deep ball. He did not turn until Cruz was on him and that is way too late with Cruz's speed. Good play by both Manning & Cruz, but it was avoidable in my opinion.

I'm sorry, but Madieu ****ed that coverage up. Period.

The route was a sight adjustment by Cruz. If Madieu is playing where he traditionally would've played, then Cruz likely reads the deep safety, then turns that into an out route. The only reason the route changed to a straight vertical seam route is because Madieu lined up down in the box, basically showing that he was planning to jump an out route...versus Eli Manning, in an offense he has to know uses sight adjustments.

But no, the dumbass lined up in the box. But even if you could give him as pass on playing the out route, he's got no excuse to be standing still. Even if we had Sean Taylor playing free safety, if ST got caught flat footed versus a safety, we'd be in trouble, maybe not as much, but still. If you're a safety you should never be standing still, especially with Victor Cruz screaming down the seam at 100 mph.

But Madieu wasn't paying attention to Cruz; he was staring at Eli. Madieu tried to play hero ball and tried to jump the route and instead he got smoked because he didn't play his assignment, and on top of not playing his assignment, he didn't even get into a back peddle; instead he was standing still against one of the best quarterbacks and one of the best wide receivers in the NFL.

It wasn't an amazing play by Eli. It was a stupid ass play that should've never happened if Madieu just plays his assignment like we'd been doing all friggin' game.

(Sorry, I'm not trying to go off on you, but I'm still really bitter about that play and wish we could just ****can Madieu...)

I'm sorry, but Madieu ****ed that coverage up. Period.

The route was a sight adjustment by Cruz. If Madieu is playing where he traditionally would've played, then Cruz likely reads the deep safety, then turns that into an out route. The only reason the route changed to a straight vertical seam route is because Madieu lined up down in the box, basically showing that he was planning to jump an out route...versus Eli Manning, in an offense he has to know uses sight adjustments.

But no, the dumbass lined up in the box. But even if you could give him as pass on playing the out route, he's got no excuse to be standing still. Even if we had Sean Taylor playing free safety, if ST got caught flat footed versus a safety, we'd be in trouble, maybe not as much, but still. If you're a safety you should never be standing still, especially with Victor Cruz screaming down the seam at 100 mph.

But Madieu wasn't paying attention to Cruz; he was staring at Eli. Madieu tried to play hero ball and tried to jump the route and instead he got smoked because he didn't play his assignment, and on top of not playing his assignment, he didn't even get into a back peddle; instead he was standing still against one of the best quarterbacks and one of the best wide receivers in the NFL.

It wasn't an amazing play by Eli. It was a stupid ass play that should've never happened if Madieu just plays his assignment like we'd been doing all friggin' game.

(Sorry, I'm not trying to go off on you, but I'm still really bitter about that play and wish we could just ****can Madieu...)

Well then.

:ols: Don't feel bad for going off, I wasn't really defending Madeiu as much as I was Haslett here. I was angrier at Haslett when it happened. But here's the thing, I totally agree with you that Madeiu was trying to jump the route and be the hero, which was totally a mistake, but it's not as awful when you consider he was kind of right... Eli literally had a split second before he was about to get leveled by, I believe, Stephen Bowen. Madeiu figured Eli was going to have to get that ball off quickly and he was right. He just made the incredibly stupid mistake of assuming Cruz couldn't get on him as quickly as he does and, furthermore, that Eli wouldn't throw a perfectly placed lob even with Bowen in his face.

But, yeah, it's incredibly frustrating because an even slightly better Safety would've been able to recover after that mistake and Williams should know his friggin limitations and not just sit on a route EVER. Maybe Pugh is the answer?

Well then.

:ols: Don't feel bad for going off, I wasn't really defending Madeiu as much as I was Haslett here. I was angrier at Haslett when it happened. But here's the thing, I totally agree with you that Madeiu was trying to jump the route and be the hero, which was totally a mistake, but it's not as awful when you consider he was kind of right... Eli literally had a split second before he was about to get leveled by, I believe, Stephen Bowen. Madeiu figured Eli was going to have to get that ball off quickly and he was right. He just made the incredibly stupid mistake of assuming Cruz couldn't get on him as quickly as he does and, furthermore, that Eli wouldn't throw a perfectly placed lob even with Bowen in his face.

I wonder if the sitting on routes mentality starts at the top and a slight overemphasis on getting turnovers and not playing conservative, ever. Haslett, despite being predictable, just cannot seem to swallow his ego and embrace a little conservatism. Perhaps that rubs down to the players.

I wonder if the sitting on routes mentality starts at the top and a slight overemphasis on getting turnovers and not playing conservative, ever. Haslett, despite being predictable, just cannot seem to swallow his ego and embrace a little conservatism. Perhaps that rubs down to the players.

I'm no fan of Haslett, trust me. But I really don't think he's at fault at all.

This is at least the second time (maybe the third) that I've seen Madieu do something like this. There's not much that Haz can do other than bench Madieu, and we've got no free safety to play behind.

Hopefully Meriweather comes back after the bye week and we put him at strong safety and put----dare I say----Reed Doughty at free safety. Or at least Jordan Pugh. Because those two may not very good, but at least they can be counted on to be where they hell they're supposed to be most of the time.

Archived