Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AllVoices.com: Romney family buys voting machines to be used in key states

skinsfan07

Holy ****.

This scares me.

http://www.allvoices.com/contributed-news/13221476-romney-family-buys-voting-machines-through-bain-capital-investment

Key quotes

"Through a closely held equity fund called Solamere, Mitt Romney and his wife, son and brother are major investors in an investment firm called H.I.G. Capital. H.I.G. in turn holds a majority share and three out of five board members in Hart Intercivic, a company that owns the notoriously faulty electronic voting machines that will count the ballots in swing state Ohio November 7. Hart machines will also be used elsewhere in the United States.

In other words, a candidate for the presidency of the United States, and his brother, wife and son, have a straight-line financial interest in the voting machines that could decide this fall's election. These machines cannot be monitored by the public. But they will help decide who "owns" the White House."

Raising further questions of legitimacy in the Romney campaign is an audio recording recently made public, where Mitt Romney is heard asking independent business owners to apply pressure to their employees to influence their votes. What has also been made public are the emails those employers have sent to their employees with an implied threat that if they don't vote for Romney they may lose their jobs.

Rest at link. Unreal. This guy is unbelievable. How anyone can trust him, is beyond me. I'd lose my job before I had my employer tell me to vote for someone or else I'd get fired.

Actually, I assume that there's nothing nefarious, here, at all.

I assume that some flunkie who's in charge of picking which stocks Romney's money will get invested in, picked a stock, based on how he thinks the stock will do.

I see lots of nefarious activities going on by the Republican Party. (More every day.) But I don't think this is one of them.

(If for no other reason than, if Romney was going to doctor the machines to give him a win, he would have bought the company a year ago, through a lot more complicated path. And quietly put his people in place.)

Actually, I assume that there's nothing nefarious, here, at all.

I assume that some flunkie who's in charge of picking which stocks Romney's money will get invested in, picked a stock, based on how he thinks the stock will do.

I see lots of nefarious activities going on by the Republican Party. (More every day.) But I don't think this is one of them.

(If for no other reason than, if Romney was going to doctor the machines to give him a win, he would have bought the company a year ago, through a lot more complicated path. And quietly put his people in place.)

This, I agree with. If Romney intended to use this to win the election, I would expect Moriarty type schemes. This just looks like an accident. Though I definitely don't like it.

He should somehow rescind his investment. His name tied to this leads to speculation, conspiracies and assumption. It's no good and it really shouldn't be allowed. I also doubt anything evil, but the fact his name is tied to the machines raises enough speculation.

Agree with what Larry said. The direct tie actually makes it slightly more comforting.

Even without this, why would anyone trust voting machines? Diebold has bigtime pub donors across its board. Hackers are penetrating our most secure CIA and pentagon databases. You think they couldn't design a card that would wreak havoc when inserted into a voting machine? Or that there are no backdoors into their system?

It wouldn't even have to be systemic. Target one polling location in Florida and do it brazenly so there's an obvious problem with the vote totals (like 1 million votes for Larry, or 10x as many votes as there are people in the county) and you throw the outcome of every state into doubt.

Agree with what Larry said. The direct tie actually makes it slightly more comforting.

Even without this, why would anyone trust voting machines? Diebold has bigtime pub donors across its board. Hackers are penetrating our most secure CIA and pentagon databases. You think they couldn't design a card that would wreak havoc when inserted into a voting machine? Or that there are no backdoors into their system?

It wouldn't even have to be systemic. Target one polling location in Florida and do it brazenly so there's an obvious problem with the vote totals (like 1 million votes for Larry, or 10x as many votes as there are people in the county) and you throw the outcome of every state into doubt.

Here's an article about one hack.

http://www.salon.com/2011/09/27/votinghack/

The team’s video demonstrates how inserting the inexpensive electronic device into the voting machine can offer a “bad guy” virtually complete control over the machine. A cheap remote control unit can enable access to the voting machine from up to half a mile away.

“The cost of the attack that you’re going to see was $10.50 in retail quantities,” explains Warner in the video. “If you want to use the RF [radio frequency] remote control to stop and start the attacks, that’s another $15. So the total cost would be $26.”

The video shows three different types of attack, each demonstrating how the intrusion developed by the team allows them to take complete control of the Diebold touch-screen voting machine. They were able to demonstrate a similar attack on a DRE system made by Sequoia Voting Systems as well.

In what Warner describes as “probably the most relevant attack for vote tampering,” the intruder would allow the voter to make his or her selections. But when the voter actually attempts to push the Vote Now button, which records the voter’s final selections to the system’s memory card, he says, “we will simply intercept that attempt … change a few of the votes,” and the changed votes would then be registered in the machine.

“In order to do this,” Warner explains, “we blank the screen temporarily so that the voter doesn’t see that there’s some revoting going on prior to the final registration of the votes.”

This type of attack is particularly troubling because the manipulation would occur after the voter has approved as “correct” the on-screen summaries of his or her intended selections.

Some time ago, I proposed Larry's Proposed Plan For How To Make Voting Machines Secure.

1. When the voter votes, a printer prints out a paper receipt. The receipt includes some kind of a serial number, the machine number, and a printout of who you voted for.
  2. The printer is actually loaded with 2-part, carbonless, paper. The printer retains the carbon.
  3. After the polls close, they read the machines.
  4. The county, on their web site, lists each individual machine, and the vote totals for that machine.
  5. A few weeks after the election, the county pays a local CPA firm to randomly select, say, 5% of the machines, go through the paper record, and certify that the paper record matches the electronic total.
  6. If 5% of the machines, selected at random, all match the paper record, then the other ones do, too.
  7. After the audit, the paper records become public records. Anybody who wants to can go down to the courthouse and demand the carbon for machine NCC-1701, go through the spool, and verify that yes, voter 3141's vote was registered as voting for Fred Flintstone.

In short, I think that it's relatively simple to prevent vote theft from electronic hacking. (Either by authorized persons, or un-)

----------

But, as we're seeing in the "Voter ID" thread, frankly, there are lots of ways to rig an election. By suppressing votes from being cast, by throwing them out after they've been cast, whatever.

No electronic hacking needed.

---------- Post added October-22nd-2012 at 05:57 PM ----------

Still wonder if the Electoral College is a good thing?

Still pushing the 100% false claim that adding a layer of people who are legally required to do what they're told, somehow prevents this?

Edit:

Although, I suppose there is one good way of looking at it.

If it weren't for the EC, the Republicans would be trying to disenfranchise people nationwide, instead of just in Ohio.

If Mitt Romney, through his blind trust, isn't allowed to invest in anything that could theoretically be in his best interest, he just can't invest. This is just like Obama with his big Cayman Island company investments. A total distraction from real issues.

Oh, goody.

Tell me, could you quote the idiot who was trying to say that "Mitt Romney, through his blind trust, isn't allowed to invest in anything that could theoretically be in his best interest"?

That guy must be a real doofus. I'd like to read his post, too.

If Mitt Romney, through his blind trust, isn't allowed to invest in anything that could theoretically be in his best interest, he just can't invest. This is just like Obama with his big Cayman Island company investments. A total distraction from real issues.

You should ask Mitt Romney what he thinks about blind trusts.

Oh, goody.

Tell me, could you quote the idiot who was trying to say that "Mitt Romney, through his blind trust, isn't allowed to invest in anything that could theoretically be in his best interest"?

That guy must be a real doofus. I'd like to read his post, too.

Ummm, President Obama? He brought it up in the last debate. And then Mitt pointed out that Obma also was invested in Caymen Island investments and in China through his pension. It is a BS argument. Do people really think Mitt Romney invested in voting machines to rig the election?

Ummm, President Obama? He brought it up in the last debate.

Really? Obama, in the last deebate, on live TV, said that Mitt wasn't allowed to invest in anything that was in his best interest?

Damn liberal media must have covered it up.

I suspect we are going to hear a lot about foreign investments and off-shoring of jobs tonight.

What is actually more bothersome, though probably will not affect the election, is that members of the board of this company don't feel the need to even feign impartiality. Board members have attended Romney fundraisers and donated to his campaign.

Really? Obama, in the last deebate, on live TV, said that Mitt wasn't allowed to invest in anything that was in his best interest?

Damn liberal media must have covered it up.

Have you not seen the ads approved by and paid for by Obama highlighting Mitts Caymen and China investments? Yet Obama himself owns investments in both as well.

[*]After the audit, the paper records become public records. Anybody who wants to can go down to the courthouse and demand the carbon for machine NCC-1701, go through the spool, and verify that yes, voter 3141's vote was registered as voting for Fred Flintstone.

The Starship Enterprise is a voter booth? for Fred Flinstone? Is there a time portal somewhere? I thought it was the Flinstones and the Jetsons?

Archived