Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: REDSKINS SIGN TE CHRIS COOLEY; PLACE TE FRED DAVIS ON RESERVE/INJURED LIST

Mark The Homer

PRESS RELEASE

For Immediate Release

October 22, 2012

REDSKINS SIGN TE CHRIS COOLEY;

PLACE TE FRED DAVIS ON RESERVE/INJURED LIST

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The Washington Redskins announced today that they have signed free agent tight end Chris Cooley. The team also placed tight end Fred Davis on its Reserve/Injured list.

Cooley (6-3, 243), the franchise’s all-time leader in receptions by a tight end, was released by the Redskins on Aug. 28, 2012. He spent his first eight seasons with the Redskins and posted 428 receptions for 4,703 yards and 33 receiving touchdowns.

Last season, Cooley became the franchise’s all-time leader in receptions by a tight end, surpassing Redskins legend Jerry Smith (421). Cooley’s 428 receptions rank 20th all-time by a tight end in league history.

Cooley holds four of the top five single-season reception totals by a tight end in team history, including recording at least 70 catches in 2005, 2008 and 2010.

Davis (6-4, 247) leads the team in receptions (24) and receiving yards (325) through seven games. In 2011, he established single-season highs in receptions (59) and receiving yards (796). The 796 yards were the fourth-most in a season by a tight end in Redskins history. During his five-year NFL career, Davis has recorded 155 receptions for 1,973 yards and 12 touchdowns.

eshead9sjpg.jpg

Well, Cooley is back and gets to show us if he really does have anything left in the tank. Yes, I'm a homer and want him to show up aside from the fact that I want the Skinz to win. I gotta say though that I think Paulsen has been very effective and brings an even better blocking skill set. Yeah you give up speed and hands. Considering the signing of Cooley once again you gotta question the Niles Paul decision. LoAx owns the title special teams captain so now what? Jus transition to TE shouldn't be this difficult. I understand the blocking requires more but the pass catching has yet to develop. And that's just not acceptable moving from WR to TE. I've yet to see him take advantage of his speed, size, or hands. He just doesn't add up to me.

A couple questions:

1) I assume Cooley now backs up Paul and Paulsen (sounds like a law firm), right? Or do we think he'll be on the field a lot?

2) Was this a contract/free agency year for Fred Davis? As much as you have to feel bad for him personally - but to be totally blunt, I have to assume that a torn Achilles / season-ending IR injury will reduce his marketability a little bit, which means that we should be able to re-sign him at a slightly cheaper price next season?

Archived