Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP:Redskins plan to pick punter Saturday

jpillian

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/wp/2012/10/19/redskins-plan-to-pick-punter-saturday/

With their punter, Sav Rocca, plagued by a knee injury suffered while jogging after a practice this week, the Redskins had a workout Friday at Redskins Park for three punters. The group included former Pittsburgh Steelers punter Daniel Sepulveda and former Philadelphia Eagles punter Chas Henry.

Coach Mike Shanahan said Friday that the Redskins planned to have Rocca test his knee Saturday to see if he can punt. If he can’t, the team would have to make a roster move Saturday for Sunday’s game.

Sepulveda is another Baylor guy. Are we going to bring in another Bear?

Justin Snow graduated in 2000 and Sepulveda didn't get there until 2002 (2003 season). Thought it might have been an interesting coincidence if Snow and Sepulveda were at Baylor at the same time.

Daniel Sepulveda was once considered a beast of a punter. I don't know what happened in Pittsburgh, but when he came to DC in a preseason game he punted for distance and hang time. I was not able to gauge his directional punting or his ability to drop it inside of the 20. I know he was injured, but do not know if this contributed to the Steelers cutting him or not. Does anyone have the answers?

Rocca looked great for us the past few years, although he has been a bit shaky this year. I was wondering if something wasn't right with him this season. I'm not sure I'm buying this jogging thing (but don't say it too loud or we might get in trouble for violating the spirit of the injury report again).

Hopefully the Aussie gets healed up and back to form, as I think he has proven to be a darn good punter in his time here. I'm not sure how the roster situation with him would work, but I would hate to see him go. There were times the past couple of seasons when I thought he was our best weapon (sad to say about a punter I know, but still).

I don't know much about potential replacements, but hopefully whoever we bring in is up to the task. This game is for first place in the division against a hated rival on the road. It could be a tough environment for a last second fill-in. It sounds like there is still a chance Rocca can go, which I think would be our best bet if he is healthy enough to kick.

Daniel Sepulveda was once considered a beast of a punter. I don't know what happened in Pittsburgh, but when he came to DC in a preseason game he punted for distance and hang time. I was not able to gauge his directional punting or his ability to drop it inside of the 20. I know he was injured, but do not know if this contributed to the Steelers cutting him or not. Does anyone have the answers?

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/burned-steelers-coach-visits-team-punter-sepulveda-wont-return-629862/

... veteran punter Daniel Sepulveda, an unrestricted free agent, said the Steelers do not want him back for the 2012 season.

Sepulveda, 28, has been plagued with knee injuries since the Steelers drafted him on the fourth round in 2007. He missed the 2008 season with an ACL tear, and was placed on injured reserve after 12 games into the 2010 season with another torn ACL. Last season, he was placed on injured reserve early in November with an injury to his meniscus, his third trip to the IR in four seasons.

The only two-time winner of the Ray Guy award that goes to the top collegiate punter, Sepulveda was drafted on the fourth round by the Steelers in 2007.

Had some great years with Pittsburgh but has had 2 or 3 ACL surgeries. He's an injury risk.

Just grab Henry and call it a day. We'll most likely just need him for a game or two.

this. Henry wasn't doing bad for the Eagles before he got cut. I think he was just another scape goat for Reid since he doesn't want to fix the real problem (Vick).

---------- Post added October-20th-2012 at 11:26 AM ----------

Can either of these guys kick off?

I doubt the Skins would hand kickoff duties to an injury replacement punter. Kai Forbath didn't do too bad last week in the kickoff department last week.

Just grab Henry and call it a day. We'll most likely just need him for a game or two.
this. Henry wasn't doing bad for the Eagles before he got cut. I think he was just another scape goat for Reid since he doesn't want to fix the real problem (Vick).

Why Henry over Sepulveda? Sepulveda was a good punter he's just had durability issues. If he's healthy right now and its' just a couple game rental why not pick him over Henry?

I'm not criticizing your opinions I'm just actually curious.

If Rocca can not go, who is our back up holder then? For some reason, I'm thinking that I heard Cousins would be cast in that role.

I still would love to know who had the idiotic idea of putting the punter as the holder anyway. I still think it should be, like in the old days, the QB. If they don't want to risk the starter, put the back up, then you can fake if you want.

I still would love to know who had the idiotic idea of putting the punter as the holder anyway. I still think it should be, like in the old days, the QB. If they don't want to risk the starter, put the back up, then you can fake if you want.

I very nearly posted the same earlier in the week. I've never gotten why the league has moved away from QB's holding. Their invariably one of your best 'hands' guys on the team, and deal with snaps all game.

I guess the only change I'd make from past would be for the back-up QB to have the job so he can get practice in with the FG unit and get the understanding down with the kicker. It's not like he's taking many snaps in practice to start with.

Hail.

I always wondered why that was changed also. Anybody know the logic on using the punter?

The only reason I can think of is that the kickers are pretty much by themsleves every day, while the rest of the team, and the backup QB, are off in team meetings, going over the gameplan, watching film, etc. The punter and the kicker don't get involved as much. I mean, what part of the game plan do you tell the kicker? Here's the ball. Put it thru the uprights.

Or for the punter. Punter, here, kick it far. Don't let it get blocked. I guess they were made for that job.

I still would love to know who had the idiotic idea of putting the punter as the holder anyway.

The reasoning is that the punter is also only a special teamer, so he, the long snapper, and the kicker can go off by themselves at practice and have far more reps together than even the backup quarterback (who generally has other duties) could give you. The repetition and familiarity is considered to be worth giving up the possibility of a trick play, and there's no real reason to think a quarterback should have better hands than a punter, who has to catch long snaps anyway. If it was about the hands, they'd use a receiver.

Can either of these guys kick off?
Actually Henry was a guy I pulled for in the draft as a late round pick, so i remember seeing his stats. He not only punted, he's also a field goal kicker and kicks off. Don't know the story of why the Iggles let him go, but coming out of college, he looked like a guy we could use if the kicker got hurt in a game and do kickoffs too.

Archived