Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com: Redskins to face "hefty fine" for handling of RG3 concussion situation

SteveFromYellowstone

I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic.

No, no sarcasm.

Just Shanny being underhanded again. He didn't want the Falcons to know that RGIII wouldn't be returning... Whether he was intentionally skirting the rules or ignorant of them, doesn't matter. What matters is where are now, which is up **** creek.

Like I said, business as usual for this franchise. We will all sit around and whine about how the NFL is on a witch hunt because, after all, RGIII was attended to and is fine, and that makes us breaking the rules the fault of Goodell/Mara/etc

To die Hards point below I will wait to really pass judgement, but I find it hard to give this organization the benefit of any doubts anymore

I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic.

I was certainly hoping so, but it was not 100% clear, I did consider that it was Zoony, so there's that. I think he has a different opinion of the FO then most do. I didn't know if I missed something or not. I think the article I posted second with the Union's point of view shows they felt the Redskins met all the criteria set forth by the NFL.

..................................................which is here.....

Thom Mayer hopes that every team follows the example of the Washington Redskins when it comes to dealing with concussions.

Mayer, medical director for the NFL Players Association, told USA TODAY Sports on Thursday that the Redskins' handling of star rookie quarterback Robert Griffin III has fully met the medical standards established with the league's concussion guidelines.

"I'm supportive of how the Redskins have handled his case," said Mayer, a key watchdog for the collaborative efforts between the league and the players union to monitor adherence to policies for diagnosing and treating concussions.

"From the moment the injury occurred, they have been a textbook case for how to deal with this, with respect to the protocol. They have followed it appropriately."

NFL is not ready for the Redskins to be a contender. They trying any and everything to sabotage our comeup.

I might be inclined to agree with you if it weren't for the fact that RG3 is one of the most marketable stars in the league. Living 3000 miles away from Washington DC the only players I see on commercials with greater frequency than him are Manning and Rodgers. That, combined with the fact that DC is the 7th largest market in the united states means that the opposite is probably true.

Whether he was intentionally skirting the rules or ignorant of them, doesn't matter.

Do we know exactly which rules were broken exactly?

Without that, how do we know exactly.

After RG3 was shaken up... he was given an initial diagnosis of `shaken up`. You can`t give an actual diagnosis -- which can only be administered by a qualified health professional -- without conducting tests by a respective professional. I guarantee you those trainers on the team`s staff are unauthorized to give a `diagnosis`. So they sent him to the dressing room for tests.

Why in holy hell would it be necessary to give a final diagnosis MID-GAME to the media and fans??? His return was questionable... that`s all everyone needs to know. That`s all we get from any other injury in the NFL in-game: ``Knee injury... return is questionable.``

We don`t know actually diagnoses until the Mon-Wed after MRI tests are done... and then we find out about his status. That`s why coaches are mum on Monday interviews.

I`d be interested to learn of the NFL`s policies here.

Do we know exactly which rules were broken exactly?

Without that, how do we know exactly.

After RG3 was shaken up... he was given an initial diagnosis of `shaken up`. You can`t give an actual diagnosis -- which can only be administered by a qualified health professional -- without conducting tests by a respective professional. I guarantee you those trainers on the team`s staff are unauthorized to give a `diagnosis`. So they sent him to the dressing room for tests.

Why in holy hell would it be necessary to give a final diagnosis MID-GAME to the media and fans??? His return was questionable... that`s all everyone needs to know. That`s all we get from any other injury in the NFL in-game: ``Knee injury... return is questionable.``

We don`t know actually diagnoses until the Mon-Wed after MRI tests are done... and then we find out about his status. That`s why coaches are mum on Monday interviews.

I`d be interested to learn of the NFL`s policies here.

It's a fair point, and one I would be far more wiling to concede were it not Shanahan and his history of underhanded bull****.

The NFL requires "immediate acknowledgement of a head injury" to prevent concussed players from returning. Notice that the rules don't say that the concussion must be diagnosed immediately. The Redskins didn't acknowledge a head injury. Instead, a vague reference to "shaken up".

Like I said, this looks and smells like business as usual for the Shanahan run front office. Guess we will see. No matter what though, I'm sure we'll have thousands of skins fans claiming Goodell just hates the Redskins should anything come of this. Can't possibly be on us

Zoony, I get Shanahan likes to bend the rules but you're, in all actuality, just speculating that Shanahan purposely said "shaken up" to trick the Falcons. We did list Griffin as questionable (or even doubtful, I think) almost immediately so for the Falcons I'm not sure how that even hurt them. Furthermore, Griffin went to the locker room quickly so the Falcons had no reason to believe he was coming back. After he came out wasn't it said that it was concussion at that point or no? Maybe that's the problem.

Shanahan does need to be more careful since it seems the NFL Competition Committee is just LOOKING for something to find against us.

Zoony, I get Shanahan likes to bend the rules but you're, in all actuality, just speculating that Shanahan purposely said "shaken up" to trick the Falcons. We did list Griffin as questionable (or even doubtful, I think) almost immediately so for the Falcons I'm not sure how that even hurt them.

Shanahan does need to be more careful since it seems the NFL Competition Committee is just LOOKING for something to find against us.

Like I said ignorance or manipulation... Doesn't really matter in the end. What matters is, here we go again.

Sort of like how so many Skins fans have convinced themselves that our flushing of the Haynesworth contract during the uncapped year was actually some sort of philosophical stand against collusion.

All I'm saying is given Shannys history and what I've seen from him... I doubt it was ignorance. We will see I guess

The NFL requires "immediate acknowledgement of a head injury" to prevent concussed players from returning. Notice that the rules don't say that the concussion must be diagnosed immediately. The Redskins didn't acknowledge a head injury. Instead, a vague reference to "shaken up".

Yes, but isn't "shaken up" the most honest thing a coach can say. If they say, "he has a head injury" then they risk spreading mis-information if tests come back negative. Ditto that for "concussion." If they say, "I don't know. I'm not a doctor" then they're being honest, but coming off as antagonistically sarcastic. I suppose they could say, "We're awaiting diagnosis from team doctors, but we fear it could be a head injury" which appropriately honest, while still expressing doubt. But it seems like splitting hairs. Why isn't going with a generic diagnosis like, "shaken up" an appropriate thing to say. Would the league have been more forgiving if they had just said, "I don't know."

I'm not trying to blindly defend the Redskins because they are my team. If they did something wrong they deserve to be fined, and I'm sure Snyder can afford it. I just don't get why describing an injury for which you are awaiting diagnosis as "shaken up" is inappropriate.

I'm not trying to blindly defend the Redskins because they are my team. If they did something wrong they deserve to be fined, and I'm sure Snyder can afford it. I just don't get why describing an injury for which you are awaiting diagnosis as "shaken up" is inappropriate.

Have you ever had the wind knocked completely out of you? It is terrifying. And most of the time, that injury is described as being "shaken up"

I was also shaken up when my wife told me she was pregnant for the first time. Or, when I learned my grandfather died. Neither time did I have a head injury.

The NFL is asking coaches and Teams to be very specific in how they treat these injuries (Dozens of former players with an army of lawyers suing for millions will do that to you). The Redskins, it appears, have not followed the rules. Again. :kickcan:

The NFL is asking coaches and Teams to be very specific in how they treat these injuries (Dozens of former players with an army of lawyers suing for millions will do that to you). The Redskins, it appears, have not followed the rules. Again. :kickcan:

I know they told the media he was shaken up but was there any delay or neglect in his treatment because of this? If not, what would be the problem with waiting to confirm and injury before reporting it. It seems to me that they are nit picking words and not looking at the MEDICAL procedure that was followed. I admittedly do not know that much about the rules but this is ridiculous looking at it with common sense.

RG3 was 'shaken up' to the same degree as Garcons foot appears to be 'sore'.

Imagine Shanahan in a Liar Liar situation......

"The pen is blue' date=' the pen is blue, the goddamn pen is blue!"[/quote']

And the movie ends with him finally making some time for Kyle to play catch

:doh:

---------- Post added October-14th-2012 at 03:36 PM ----------

I know they told the media he was shaken up but was there any delay or neglect in his treatment because of this? If not, what would be the problem with waiting to confirm and injury before reporting it. It seems to me that they are nit picking words and not looking at the MEDICAL procedure that was followed. I admittedly do not know that much about the rules but this is ridiculous looking at it with common sense.

What good is it to have a debate about the rules after they've been broken?

Fwiw, the rules sound pretty dumb to me. But it doesn't matter. I'm not sure why that concept is lost on so many. This is no different than the salary cap/collusion scandal

the NFL can kiss my ass. I am sorry but they are picking on the Redskins, cap penalty breaking no rules, fine even though they followed procedures. Were the Browns fined for putting Colt McCoy back in the game after he got a concussion? Were the Texans fined after Matt Schaub lost his ear and they didn't check for a concussion? No. The NFL Mara's are pissed off we got RG3 and are determined to make the Redskins pay for that

hmmmm that's funny union says otherwise. **** the NFL and it's witch hunt of the Redskins.

http://www.livingstondaily.com/usatoday/article/1628151&usatref=sportsmod?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|Sports|p

Thom Mayer hopes that every team follows the example of the Washington Redskins when it comes to dealing with concussions.

Mayer, medical director for the NFL Players Association, told USA TODAY Sports on Thursday that the Redskins' handling of star rookie quarterback Robert Griffin III has fully met the medical standards established with the league's concussion guidelines.

"I'm supportive of how the Redskins have handled his case," said Mayer, a key watchdog for the collaborative efforts between the league and the players union to monitor adherence to policies for diagnosing and treating concussions.

"From the moment the injury occurred, they have been a textbook case for how to deal with this, with respect to the protocol. They have followed it appropriately."

Have you ever had the wind knocked completely out of you? It is terrifying. And most of the time, that injury is described as being "shaken up"

I was also shaken up when my wife told me she was pregnant for the first time. Or, when I learned my grandfather died. Neither time did I have a head injury.

You never addressed me or the article that I posted in response to the OP and your posts. I think it has merit and is relative. Why would the union medical director side with the Redskins if they were guilty of something here?

I certainly hope the Redskins medical staff would take the Franchise players condition serious. I know you have no faith and maybe rightfully so in regard to Coach Speak, but I don't see any malfeasance here. RGIII was never pushed to re-enter the game at any point after he was injured, and never appeared this week to be pushed to play. Garcon is not being pushed to play over what appears to be a lingering case of plantar faciitis. In regard to the contract being buried, you are saying that unwritten rules are okay, I disagree, especially in contract labor arenas.

I think Shanahan used the term ``shaken up`` because a diagnosis had not been given yet... so he said *something* when prompted. He even mentioned that after confronting RG3 after the injury... all he knew was that `something wasn`t right` and to go see somebody about it.

Now, that doesn`t necessarily have to mean concussion.... while acknowledging there is a possibility it was one. But if, for example, he had just guessed it was a concussion -- and said as much publicly -- he would have shut the door on RG3 coming back into the game... even if it wasn`t a concussion. So, to me, ``shaken up`` means there`s something wrong but we don`t know what yet.

He wanted to wait until they knew for sure that it was a concussion... and then rule him out. Which, I believe to be fair. And that`s what happened.... he didn`t pass tests and he was held out.

Not to mention.... he took a sharp hit. It hurt him. Who`s to say it was even a head injury? Maybe it was the equivalent to hart hit knocking the crap out of you. It`s possible to be hurt without having a concussion. I`m pretty sure that most of us wouldn`t have said with any certainty that it was a head injury, for sure, when they saw him down in pain. Why assume it`s a concussion?

What good is it to have a debate about the rules after they've been broken?

Seriously asking, does the rule forces Shanahan to call it a head injury or mention a possible concussion? If it makes him mention a possibility of a head injury, I can understand that a liiiiiiittttlle bit more.

I agree that its a dumb rule but if it is a rule, I can understand what you're saying. Seems to me Shanahan has a bigger job than to delve deep into this DURING a game and I can't blame him for being so vague. I wouldn't want jump the gun and misdiagnose it either.

In regard to the contract being buried, you are saying that unwritten rules are okay, I disagree, especially in contract labor arenas.

No, I didn't. Never did. What I did say was lets not pretend its a philisophical stand against collusion by our front office. In laymans terms, don't piss on my leg and tell me it's raining. Mike Shanahan and Bruce Allen, champions of fair deals. sell that to someone that doesn't know any better

As for this issue, I never responded to you because I figured you'd read my posts and figure out on your own where I am coming from. It's all out there. I don't really care what the players rep has to say, unless overnight he's been given the right to levy penalties and fines and be judge and jury for the rules he has written. Until then, I will focus on the investigation being conducted by those who DO write and enforce the rules as well as judge conformity to the rules

THAT'S what matters. Everything else is excuses. We will see what comes from this investigation

On that note, I'm done on this topic. If anyone has any questions, I suggest reading one of my posts above :). Nothing more to say or think about until we hear back from the league

As for this issue, I never responded to you because I figured you'd read my posts and figure out on your own where I am coming from. It's all out there. I don't really care what the players rep has to say, unless overnight he's been given the right to levy penalties and fines and be judge and jury for the rules he has written. Until then, I will focus on the investigation being conducted by those who DO write and enforce the rules as well as judge conformity to the rules

THAT'S what matters. Everything else is excuses. We will see what comes from this investigation

On that note, I'm done on this topic. If anyone has any questions, I suggest reading one of my posts above :). Nothing more to say or think about until we hear back from the league

Hey I understand you have a different opinion and enjoy reading you're posts. But I think in this case if the Unions Medical director, not a player rep. and someone who does have a bearing on policies relating to the issue at hand, his comments should not be discounted as excuses.

("I'm supportive of how the Redskins have handled his case," said Mayer, a key watchdog for the collaborative efforts between the league and the players union to monitor adherence to policies for diagnosing and treating concussions.)

In order for you to make this argument effectively you have to either show where in the rules it says that you are not allowed to describe suspicion of a head-injury as "shaken up." I have been working under the assumption that there is no such written rule. If there is, I withdraw my dissent. The Redskins broke a rule, and deserve to be punished for it.

However, if, as I suspect, there is no such written rule, then we have to rely on common sense. Was the use of "shaken up" a deliberate attempt to conceal important information, or was it just the words chosen to describe a situation until more information was known. I don't know the answer to this, but an argument in favor of a fine would have to prove, or at least present non-circumstantial evidence that the former is true

At least my assumption of being cursed is starting to lean a bit toward this organization just being moronic.

Getting penalized like this is like when a player gets an unsportsman like penalty, you should just know better.

Yay to more Redskins related bad press! And we made the Yahoo front page for it!

Archived