Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com: Redskins to face "hefty fine" for handling of RG3 concussion situation

SteveFromYellowstone

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000080006/article/redskins-to-face-hefty-fine-for-handling-of-rg3-injury?module=HP11_headline_stack

Forgive me if this was already posted, I didn't see it anywhere.

Redskins to face 'hefty' fine for handling of RG3 injury

• _Sessler-65x90.jpg
  • print.png
    g-plus.png
    fb-like.png
    share-button.png
  • By Marc Sessler
  • Around the League Writer
  • Published: Oct. 14, 2012 at 12:57 p.m.
  • Updated: Oct. 14, 2012 at 01:15 p.m.

Washington Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III is fully expected to start Sunday against the Minnesota Vikings, but the NFL hasn't closed the book on the rookie's recent head injury.

Game-rewind_inside.jpg

Relive every game this season online and on-demand with enhanced viewing features, including the "All-22" coaches film. Get NFL Game Rewind.

FOX Sports insider and NFL Network contributor Jay Glazer reported Sunday that the Redskins will face a "hefty" fine from the NFL for their handling of RG3's concussion, suffered in last Sunday's loss to the Atlanta Falcons.

hmmmm that's funny union says otherwise. **** the NFL and it's witch hunt of the Redskins.

http://www.livingstondaily.com/usatoday/article/1628151&usatref=sportsmod?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|Sports|p

Thom Mayer hopes that every team follows the example of the Washington Redskins when it comes to dealing with concussions.

Mayer, medical director for the NFL Players Association, told USA TODAY Sports on Thursday that the Redskins' handling of star rookie quarterback Robert Griffin III has fully met the medical standards established with the league's concussion guidelines.

"I'm supportive of how the Redskins have handled his case," said Mayer, a key watchdog for the collaborative efforts between the league and the players union to monitor adherence to policies for diagnosing and treating concussions.

"From the moment the injury occurred, they have been a textbook case for how to deal with this, with respect to the protocol. They have followed it appropriately."

the league will take EVERY opportunity to **** on the redskins. they didn't call it a concussion until he had his full battery of tests, then they assessed it properly. if they had put him back in the game, it would be one thing, but they didn't.

I don't understand how our handling was wrong. He got concussed, we tested him, and he didn't play anymore in the game. We may have even lost the game due to our decision to not play him. What should we have done?

Unless it has something to do with something that happened during the week, I have no clue what the Skins did wrong.

This is getting out of control. Every year I hope we break out and win something huge just to have a big F you to the league. They are doing everything they can to piss us off and most of it is hindering our game plan. I'm so tired of it.

So how does this compare to the Lions handling of Calvin Johnson the other week who admitted he played through a concussion because when he went to the sideline he basically did the "yeah yeah yeah, I'm fine" routine, and the coach said ok and went with it.....

What is the NFL's gripe, that we didn't speed dial them to announce a concussion? Shouldn't medical tests be finished first before any certain call is made?

What the hell?

How about Calvin Johnson playing with a concussion the entire game?

I don't even know what we did wrong. Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but it sounds like we're getting punished because we didn't call it a concussion right away? We said he was just "shaken up", instead of "concussed". But either way, he didn't play after the hit, so what does the wording matter? I don't really get it at all.

The play happened in the middle of the 3rd quarter (aproximately 3:00pm EDT) and I can find reports calling it a concussion as early as 5:13 EDT.

http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/nfl/7406/robert-griffin-iii (you have to click the "older" button to go far enough.)

How quickly do they want concussions to be reported? They at least have to give enough time for doctor's to know for sure that it's a concussion right. We just can't start calling anyone who's hit and then gets up slowly "concussed" without checking first.

Wait, so we take him off the field, confirm it's a concussion, keep him off the field, and get put on the hot seat for not immediately calling it a concussion?

Meanwhile Calvin Johnson freakin' plays with a concussion and not a peep?

If we do get fined, and the Lions don't, Snyder needs to stop playing nice and start going all Tecumseh on Goodell, Mara, and the whole corrupt tower of bs that the NFL home office has become. I know, Snyder is part of the owners, but at some point enough has got to be enough. Either he starts pushing back, or they'll just keep finding excuses to handicap us.

Archived