Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hey Golgo, Tarhog and Code..."Session 9"

Southtown

On a 'best horror movie' thread a while back, Golgo had recommended the movie "Session 9". On Sunday night I caught 3/4 of this movie (missed the first part) on the Mystery Channel. (pretty cool channel I never knew existed)

Anyway, I have a few questions about the flick I didn't quite get. The only problem being I can't remember the characters' names and such. Also, in the horror thread, Code and Tarhog had mentioned they had seen the movie and were going to post feedback which is why I included your names in the title to the thread.

Can any of you guys (or anyone who has seen it) give me a quick rundown of the movie? So was the guy who ultimately killed everyone a patient there before? When the kid with the mullet saw the guy with the walkman (sorry for lack of detail) standing in the window, was he actually there or was he seeing things?

Any little info that you think would stump someone the first time they saw it would help.

Thanks!

:cheers:

I know what you mean about the problem with names, I'm not sure about the characters names either, but I know who you mean.

From what I got, the killer was having family problems and being at the "haunted" asylum basically put him over the edge.

He gave the one guy a labotamy by ramming the icepick thing through his eye into his brain, thus leaving him like a vegetable. So the walkman guy really did see him, he was just vegged out.

I don't believe the killer was a patient before, again, to me it seemed like he had tons of stress because of money problems and then he hit is wife because of the boiling water she spilled on him. I think the setting of the asylum just flipped him over the edge.

Hope that helps.

It was a pretty cool movie.

Thanks Code! :cheers:

I guess the reason I thought the walk-man guy wasn't really standing in the window is because he was wearing his sunglasses. If he had the ice pick in his eye, wouldn't it be impossible to have the glasses on? I definately need to see it again...

Here is a review I found that is pretty solid...and it may entice others to check it out.

http://www.the-trades.com/column.php?columnid=777

"Session 9" Review

by Alex Keen

July 25, 2001

USA, 2001 – USA Films

Written and Directed by Brad Anderson

Featuring:

David Caruso as Phil

Peter Mullan as Gordon Fleming

Brendan Sexton III as Jeff

Stephen Gevedon as Mike

Additional information available at ComingSoon.net.

“Session Nine” tells the story of five men assigned to clean out the asbestos of an old asylum. Scottish actor, Peter Mullan, seen in “Shallow Grave,” “Braveheart” and “Trainspotting,” plays Gordon Fleming, the owner of an asbestos removal company. He has been going through marital troubles recently. His close friend Phil, played convincingly by David Caruso, leads the crew of hard workers while Gordon is pre-occupied with his personal problems.

Filling in the rest of the cast are Brendan Sexton III (from “Desert Blue,” “Pecker,” and the upcoming “Black Hawk Down”), Stephen Gevedon (from the television show “Oz”), and Josh Lucas (from “American Psycho” and “You Can Count On Me”). After work begins on the asylum, eerie voices, images, and noises haunt the film. While director Brad Anderson relies heavily on darkness, “Session Nine” successfully scares in the light also.

Once the session tapes of patient 444 are found, the movie steps outside of your standard haunted mansion film, and becomes a heart-attacking nightmare. Not only are the events following the tapes astonishing, the tapes themselves are absolutely spine crushing. The voice acting is extraordinary.

The true genius of “Session Nine” lay in the films ability to stay simple in approach without making the characters simple. There is so much hiding in each of them that cannot be explained or guessed. They are conflicted and convicted. Like in “The Usual Suspects” they are all villains and heroes. They all earn our admiration while doubting their motivation in the same instance.

The key to this wonderful chiller is the mood. The setting is conflicted and detailed. Some areas are brightly terrifying, while others are bloody thirsty and ancient.

This is the kind of film that makes people afraid of old cellars and hallways. This is the kind of film responsible for making adults cry.

“Session Nine” is easily the scariest movie since John Carpenter’s original “Halloween.” The film is extraordinary because it is intense throughout and avoids being bound by character development. “Session Nine” is horrifying because it never pushes too far.

Attached Trailer: None

Rating: 10 out of 10

Then maybe I'm wrong...

When the walk-man guy went missing...they called in a new guy to take his place...who the killer subsequently killed by pulling the ice pick out of the walk-man guy's eye and sticking in the new guy's eye.

Before that happened though, David Caruso said he found the walk-man guy with the ice pick in his eye. (then they showed the walk-man guy on the floor with the ice pick in his eye)

I assumed that when the walk-man guy was collecting the coins at night and trying to escape and said "What are you doing here?" to the killer, it was at that point he was stabbed with the icepick. He then went crazy and later on Caruso found him in the tunnel. (with ice pick still inserted) It was in between all this the mullet kid saw him in the window...which caused my initial confusion.

(did any of that make sense?)

In any case I'll be at Blockbuster this weekend to check it out again...

Originally posted by Southtown

On a 'best horror movie' thread a while back, Golgo had recommended the movie "Session 9". On Sunday night I caught 3/4 of this movie (missed the first part) on the Mystery Channel. (pretty cool channel I never knew existed)

Anyway, I have a few questions about the flick I didn't quite get. The only problem being I can't remember the characters' names and such. Also, in the horror thread, Code and Tarhog had mentioned they had seen the movie and were going to post feedback which is why I included your names in the title to the thread.

Can any of you guys (or anyone who has seen it) give me a quick rundown of the movie? So was the guy who ultimately killed everyone a patient there before? When the kid with the mullet saw the guy with the walkman (sorry for lack of detail) standing in the window, was he actually there or was he seeing things?

Any little info that you think would stump someone the first time they saw it would help.

Thanks!

Its been awhile since I watched it, so I don't remember the specifics very well, only that it was filmed in an actual abandoned mental hospital and was VERY atmospheric. I've got it burned to dvd if you want me to shoot you a copy, pm me your name/address. No biggie to make a copy.

Originally posted by dchogs

fellas,

exactly how scary is this movie? my wife hates scary movies, but i like em. is this one to rent when she is on a "girls weekend?"

The movie was more eerie to me. The setting is creepy, the ambiance etc...

There really isn't a stop your heart scene in the movie, but it is very well worth watching. Make sure your lights are out and it will surely give you the creeps.

Originally posted by codeorama

The movie was more eerie to me. The setting is creepy, the ambiance etc...

There really isn't a stop your heart scene in the movie, but it is very well worth watching. Make sure your lights are out and it will surely give you the creeps.

the misses may decide to sit that one out. i've heard the ring is good as well. comments on the ring?

dchogs, funny you mention The Ring. In the original horror thread that prompted this thread, I listed The Ring as a movie I thought was really scary. Since then I have seen it again a handful of times and didn't think it was all that scary. (which I guess is obvious now that I know what is going to happen)

Definately worth seeing though. Some plot holes but overall a good flick. Its another film where if you shut off all the lights and watch it alone (and if the phone rings) you'll get a pretty good scare the first time around.

If you watch it soon let me know what you think...

the misses may decide to sit that one out. i've heard the ring is good as well. comments on the ring?

I have the ring on DVD, It was not the scariest movie, but it was decent. It had some good fright moments and I thought the premise of it was good... definately one to rent first.

Session 9 was definitely a pretty good eerie movie - especially the tapes, they creep you out.

The Ring was the scariest "scary" movie I have seen in quite a few years. If anyone has any recent movies they think are scarier than that, please do let me know. And i don't mean, gory slasher flics or cheesy modern horror flics. I want a really scary and creepy ****ed up movie that will scare the **** out of me and creep me out. Any Omen or Exorcist type movie will do that, but I have seen all of them too many times. I need something new.

Originally posted by Awgustlab

Session 9 was definitely a pretty good eerie movie - especially the tapes, they creep you out.

The Ring was the scariest "scary" movie I have seen in quite a few years. If anyone has any recent movies they think are scarier than that, please do let me know. And i don't mean, gory slasher flics or cheesy modern horror flics. I want a really scary and creepy ****ed up movie that will scare the **** out of me and creep me out. Any Omen or Exorcist type movie will do that, but I have seen all of them too many times. I need something new.

That's the problem, there aren't too many that will top the Exorcist. That was damn scary.

i'm blanking on the name, but the ones with the kids in the forest. the indy film. you know what i'm talking about, right?

anyway, while i wasn't overly impressed or scared throughout the movie, the ending was freaky as hell and made me say "holy sh!t" out loud. good ending.

Do it, Gordon!! That was the voice he kept hearing in his head. My buddy and I use that phrase as a joke with each other when we want the other to do something he doesn't really want to do. The movie is just flat out creepy to me for a few reasons. First of all, I am someone who appreciates subtlety. It's a lot scarier to me when you show me a little, hint at something, then let my imagination do the rest rather than showing me everything. Session 9 is great with that. They just hint at things, let them creep you out, then leave them alone. Secondly, it's creepy because it could all easily happen in real life. There is no supernatural bs to the movie at all. I just think it was very well done and is totally different from the average horror flick. It's well worth checking out if you want to get creeped out. The scene where the guy goes back to the hospital at night to get the treasure will have you on edge big time. If not, then you have some ice water running in your veins.

i'm blanking on the name, but the ones with the kids in the forest. the indy film. you know what i'm talking about, right?

anyway, while i wasn't overly impressed or scared throughout the movie, the ending was freaky as hell and made me say "holy sh!t" out loud. good ending.

Blair Witch Project...

I had a blast seeing that movie with my brother and cousin. We saw it on the opening night. I knew it was not "real" but my brother and cousin and obviously a bunch of other viewers did not. Watching them was as much fun as watching the movie.

The ending was pretty cool too.

'The Ring' is okay, but the original Japanese version 'Ringu' is actually much scarier. Have that one too if you guys want a copy, pm me.

As for really scary movies, the Exorcist III freaks me out every time. Also, check out 'The Changeling' also with George C. Scott, another arm-shiver guarantee. 'Black Sabbath', one of those old trilogy movies with Boris Karloff narrating is also very scary (one of the stories, about a nurse stealing a ring from a dead patient, warped me for life). And another 'oldie but goodie' is 'The Innocents' with Deborah Kerr. Creeeepy. Finally, a very old british shocker 'Dead of Night', an anthology film, has several stories that are very scary (hard to find this one, but if you can get your hands on it, its a true classic, maybe my favorite old horror flick of all time).

'The Ring' is okay, but the original Japanese version 'Ringu' is actually much scarier. Have that one too if you guys want a copy, pm me.

Tarhog (or anyone that has seen it), is 'Ringu' in English originally? Is it dubbed in English? Or is it with subtitles?

Originally posted by Southtown

Tarhog (or anyone that has seen it), is 'Ringu' in English originally? Is it dubbed in English? Or is it with subtitles?

Southtown...will have to check my copy, but I believe its subtitled, almost positive....very nicely done.....

Archived