Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

KR: Limbaugh's McNabb remarks `preposterous,' Eagles' Childress says

bubba9497

http://www.bayarea.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/6892980.htm

Limbaugh's McNabb remarks `preposterous,' Eagles' Childress says

BY BOB BROOKOVER

Knight Ridder Newspapers

PHILADELPHIA - (KRT) - Bashing the quarterback is nothing new around here.

From Ron Jaworski to Randall Cunningham to Donovan McNabb, Eagles fans have always been toughest on the man who stands under center.

On Sunday, the bash went national when former NFL quarterback Steve Young openly questioned McNabb's ability to run an offense and wide-to-the-right analyst Rush Limbaugh made critical comments with racial overtones during ESPN's NFL pregame show.

After listening to Young and studio analyst Tom Jackson express their less-than-flattering opinions of the Eagles' fifth-year quarterback, the pregame panel opened the floor to Limbaugh, a man known far more for his trashing of liberals than his thrashing of quarterbacks.

"I think the sum of what you're all saying is Donovan McNabb is regressing, he's going backward," Limbaugh said. "Sorry to say this, I don't think he's been that good from the get-go."

That, in itself, would have been an interesting and controversial statement. What Limbaugh said next was dumbfounding, if not just dumb.

"The media has been very desirous that a black quarterback do well," he said, adding that he also thinks the media, which Limbaugh considers liberal, want black coaches to do well. "There is a little hope invested in McNabb and he got a lot of credit for the performance of this team that he didn't deserve. The defense carried this team."

An ESPN spokesman said that he did not think the conversation focused on the racial issues and that it was an honest discussion of McNabb's development.

Young, former quarterback of the San Francisco 49ers, followed up Limbaugh's remarks with a backhanded compliment for McNabb.

"When they are winning, nobody makes more plays with his feet and with his arm than Donovan McNabb," Young said. "That guy is really one of the best in the league at making plays. But making plays does not win championships. Running the offense does.

"At some point, I think Koy Detmer looks like a better option because he will go in there, drop back, and throw the ball correctly. (McNabb) certainly hasn't matured like Steve McNair has matured."

That simply is a false statement.

Compare McNabb's first four seasons in the NFL to McNair's first four seasons, and the Eagles' quarterback comes out ahead.

McNair, the third overall pick in the 1995 NFL draft, started 38 games and completed 634 of 1,130 passes in his first four NFL seasons. He had 38 touchdowns, 28 interceptions and a 77.9 quarterback rating. He started just six games in his first two seasons and led his team to a 16-16 record and zero playoff appearances in his third and fourth seasons.

McNabb started 48 games in his first four seasons and has led the Eagles to the playoffs in each of the last three seasons, including appearances in the NFC championship game the last two years. His playoff record is 4-3. He completed 932 of 1,639 passes in his first four years and had 71 touchdowns, 38 interceptions, and a 79.2 quarterback rating.

McNair, 30, has been sensational his last four seasons, leading Tennessee to the Super Bowl in the 1999 season and the AFC championship game last season. He also has become a more accurate passer while remaining a dangerous runner.

McNabb, who by his own admission didn't play well in the first two games of this season, is only 26 and definitely has a chance to continue developing. After the critical comments by the ESPN panel Sunday, McNabb went out and had his best game of the season, leading the Eagles to a 23-13 win over the Buffalo Bills.

He completed 18 of 29 passes for 172 yards and also ran nine times for 47 yards.

"I thought Donovan put together a nice game," Eagles coach Andy Reid said. "He had great leadership in the huddle and just did what Donovan does best. That's what makes him - I'm partial - the best in the business."

Reid said he was particularly happy with McNabb's decisions to run.

"I really don't care who is running the football," the coach said. "When the quarterback comes out and does that, that can be as demoralizing as anything to a defense. That's a part of his game. He made some very quick decisions and decided to run, and I thought that put a lot of pressure on their defense."

Asked whether the constant criticism of his quarterback bothered him, Reid said it did not.

"I don't get into that," he said. "I will say I think the Philadelphia Eagles and the city of Philadelphia are very lucky to have Donovan McNabb."

Told of Limbaugh's comments, Eagles offensive coordinator Brad Childress offered a one-word response.

"Preposterous," he said.

---

Penalize Rush for illegal use of the mouth

By Phil Sheridan

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/sports/6893265.htm

The sick thing is, this is exactly what ESPN had in mind when the all-sports network hired veteran provocateur Rush Limbaugh for its Sunday NFL pregame show. You can imagine the meeting. The ESPN bigwigs must have needed drool cups to handle the runoff when they discussed the controversy Limbaugh would generate.

Well, here it is. Just be advised, ESPN, that you're not fooling anyone. You brought this tired act out of his radio closet, where he rants to people who already agree with him, to stir things up. Prepare to get spattered.

The smart thing would be to ignore it. Thing is, nobody ever called sportswriters smart. So there you have it.

Limbaugh's idea of commentary Sunday involved an absurd attack on Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb and on "the media" that have overrated him because "the media has been very desirous that a black quarterback do well. There's interest in black quarterbacks and coaches doing well." McNabb, Limbaugh said, isn't "as good as everyone says he has been."

Here's your mistake, Rush. You stepped out of your radio comfort zone, where "Dittoheads" either echo your twisted view of America or you can cut them off. You stepped into a place where your bluff - and that's all it ever has been - is easily called.

The only thing tough about this is deciding where to begin. How about with "the media"?

Conservative sleight-of-hand artists like Limbaugh love to use the label "the media" (alternately "the liberal media") as a kind of blanket insult. Well, guess what, Rush? You've got a nationally syndicated radio show. You have your own Web site. You had a national TV show. Now you're on ESPN every Sunday morning.

You.

Are.

The.

Media.

Was that slow enough for you to grasp? You are the media. You're a part of them, anyway. Just like this paper and the others that have covered McNabb since he came to the Eagles in 1999. Just like the radio stations that thrive on Eagles coverage and just like ESPN, which has set the bar for overpromoting athletes so high that no other outlet will ever come close to hitting it.

Second, let's take on the idea that the phantom "media" have hyped McNabb because of some agenda. A little history might be in order.

In 1985, Randall Cunningham was drafted by the Eagles. At his first news conference in Philadelphia, an older white reporter asked him, "What makes you think you'll ever be able to read NFL defenses?"

In January 1988, it was considered major news that an African American quarterback named Doug Williams was starting in the Super Bowl for the Washington Redskins. During the pregame week of hype, Williams was famously asked, "How long have you been a black quarterback?"

To his credit, he calmly replied that he'd always been a quarterback and he'd also always been black. Then Doug Williams went out and earned the most valuable player award in that Super Bowl.

The point is, this ground was covered a long time ago by those of us who cover sports for a living. Nobody is perfect, of course, but McNabb's tenure here has been marked by coverage that focuses on his performance, his progress and his work ethic. That includes positive coverage as well as negative.

From the most matter-of-fact wire service report to the most outspoken talk-radio shouter, McNabb's race has not been an issue.

Until now. Until Rush Limbaugh and his mouth made it an issue. But why is anyone surprised? This is the same man who once told an African American caller to "take that bone out of your nose and call me back." The same man who once said, "Have you ever noticed how all composite pictures of wanted criminals resemble Jesse Jackson?"

With that record - kept by a group called Fairness and Accuracy in Reporting, or FAIR - ESPN gave this guy a job commenting on a league in which the majority of the players are black. ESPN, which is essentially a corporate partner of the NFL, gave this job to Limbaugh even as the league struggles with its own notorious paucity of minority coaches and general managers.

Finally, there is the substance of Limbaugh's statement, that McNabb isn't as good as the media say and that he's gotten credit that should go to the Eagles' defense. Anyone who has watched this team for the last three years would know that is laughable. The defense has been very good and has gotten due credit. But McNabb has been good much of the time, very good some of the time and great on occasion. Talk to his teammates and to his opponents and you hear the kind of respect that someone like Limbaugh would know nothing about.

It is telling that Limbaugh pounced on a two-game slump by McNabb to advance his own pathetic agenda. It's a shame that Steve Young - who didn't become an effective NFL starter until he was plugged into the great San Francisco 49ers' offense in his eighth pro season - lent credence to Limbaugh's doggerel by suggesting that Koy Detmer would run the Eagles' offense better.

Fortunately for McNabb, his record speaks for itself.

But then, so does Limbaugh's. Unfortunately for ESPN, as long as he's on the air, Limbaugh's record speaks for the network, too.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While it's clear that the media have been all over Donovan McNabb's jock from the very first moment that he displayed any inkling of being a decent NFL QB, I don't know that there's any underlying racial component to that jock-hanging. There certainly might be. (And given the fact that most people in the entertainment and news media -- sports news included -- pride themselves on being "open-minded" [i.e. liberal] and pro-affirmative action, it's not beyond the realm of possibility that these media folks could find themselves -- whether they were consciously aware of it or not -- rooting for McNabb to be successful purely because of the pigmentation of his skin.) However, my feeling is that the ESPNs and SIs of the world most likely jumped all over McNabb's nutsack simply because he is a smart, affable guy who comports himself in a classy manner and, most importantly, regularly turns in spectacular, highlight-reel-quality plays on the football field.

Having said all this, though, why all the hand-wringing over what Limbaugh said? I mean, if he's wrong, he's wrong. Big deal. Just another guy spouting off across the airwaves, right?

Relatedly, I was watching ESPN's Sports Reporters last Sunday morning and heard ESPN correspondent Sal Paolantonio suggest that Notre Dame head football coach Ty Willingham's critics were all over Willingham not because of his team's p*ss-poor performance this season, but rather because his critics were racist and simply didn't like his skin color. Just like Limbaugh, Paolantonio had no evidence to back up his claims, but that didn't stop him from making them. However, unlike Limbaugh, I don't see any indignantly vaclempt editorials appearing across sports pages decrying what Paolantonio said.

Hmmm, I wonder why? You don't think that it could have anything to do with the media's "so-called" liberal bias actually being real, do you? Naaaaah.

In January 1988, it was considered major news that an African American quarterback named Doug Williams was starting in the Super Bowl for the Washington Redskins. During the pregame week of hype, Williams was famously asked, "How long have you been a black quarterback?"

This has been misreported for years now. As a matter of fact, the reporter who asked that question of Williams did so to mock his media colleagues who'd been peppering Williams with a barage of simplistic and even outrightly stupid queries during that press conference. However, the reporter's mockery was apparently lost on practically everyone, including fellow reporters, and so the story grew (and became entrenched) of the Reporter Dumb Enough to Ask Doug Williams How Long He'd Been a Black QB.

I fail to see how what he said can be construed as racist.

Wrong, perhaps(I don't know, I don't travel in media circles). But, I don't see the racism in the remarks.

People will wring their hands over anything. Of course, Limbaugh saying it will immediately draw fire.

Much ado about nothing.

I HATE limbaugh with a passion, however, I don't see these comments as racist. Honestly, in some small way, the comments have some truth in them. McNuggett was given way way too much credit for the Eagles success. At one point, I even thought he was singlehandedly responsible for their success. But when you see Feely step in and do fine, you begin to realize that the Eagles have been more of a team than previously thought.

I watched it live and TOTALLY agree with him. His analysis was dead on the mark. Turning this into a racial issue, THAT is the problem. Not Rush. I guess since McNothing is black, he is above criticism and critique?

EXCREMENT!

McNabb has been exposed for the player he really is. Without a stellar defense and Special Teams, he is no better than Akili Smith. (Am I allowed to use him as a comparison? Or is that racist as well?)

I think Limbaughs off the mark also. I don't think the remarks are shocking or even racist. They are just inaccurate. I think McNabbs a hell of a player. The problem, in my opinion, lies not in his failure to become Steve Young, but in Reid's failure to design an offense that plays to McNabb's strengths. This guy is never going to become the quintessential NFL pocket passer. Just isn't him. But get him out of the pocket where defenders have to worry about him breaking it downfield and watch out. He's having a down year, but to be fair, he is coming off a long hiatus and an injury. He'll be back.

This isn't Cosell yelling 'look at that little monkey run'. I think Limbaugh chose an incredibly stupid way to say 'McNabbs overrated'.

The better question to ask - and I and others here have been asking it for months if not longer - is whether McNabb is suited to being a WCO. I think the answer is "no".

I don't see anyone cutting McNabb slack because he's black. I do see people failing to ask Reid why he doesn't utilize McNabb's skills better by adapting his rigid system to them . . . oh, and by acquiring some talent around him too.

This is so not a racial incident its not even funny, Its only "controversial" cos Limbaugh said it and the "non biased" media is running to make their own story about it.

He's dead on the money. If McNabb was a white guy that had more skill running the ball then being a WCO pocket passer, I believe he'd ask the same question...

McNabb has been exposed for the player he really is. Without a stellar defense and Special Teams, he is no better than Akili Smith. (Am I allowed to use him as a comparison? Or is that racist as well?)

Yeah Kilmer, he's Akili Smith - a real fraud. A fraud who turned a 5-11 team into a 11-5 team. A fraud who has won 4 playoff games in the last 3 seasons. A fraud who torched the Redskins most times he played them, especially last year, even though you like to comment that the Eagles have no WRs or RBs. Yeah, it must have been the defense and special teams that scored those 71 points last year.

Actually, it's not McNabb who's exposed - it's you. Idiot.

And Kilmer, your comments about the defense helping McNabb are wrong. In the 5-11 to 11-5 turnaround, the defense was essentially the same. The big variable was the switch from Pederson to McNabb. And the fact is that McNabb took on an inordinate amount of the offense (through running and passing he accounted for 75-80% of it) shows how valuable he was to the team.

If you want to say that he's sucked lately, or that he's not the best fit for Reid's offense, or that he's somewhat overrated, those are fair criticisms. But exposed? And comparing him to Akili Smith? Stupid.

Originally posted by BodyBagGame

Yeah Kilmer, he's Akili Smith - a real fraud. A fraud who turned a 5-11 team into a 11-5 team. A fraud who has won 4 playoff games in the last 3 seasons. A fraud who torched the Redskins most times he played them, especially last year, even though you like to comment that the Eagles have no WRs or RBs. Yeah, it must have been the defense and special teams that scored those 71 points last year.

Actually, it's not McNabb who's exposed - it's you. Idiot.

You torched us ONE game and it is intellectually dishonest to give McNothing credit for that win - the first meeting last season at FedEx. More than anything, Marvin Lewis called a poor game. I certainly remember the lack of man to man coverage in the game and the poor decision to start David Terrell - one of the worst safeties to ever play the game. So much for most times.

Do you also remember when we shutdown the Eagles 13-3 two seasons ago? Wonder why? Simple, really - McRunner wasn't allowed to run around and make plays thanks to a Mr. Arrington.

Do you remember the second meeting last season? Hardly a torching, to use your words. No, the only torching I saw was a young Patrick Ramsey in his third or fourth game TORCH the "vaunted" Philthy secondary with a cast of WR's that don't even begin to compare to this year's.

Can't wait until Sunday.

You torched us ONE game and it is intellectually dishonest to give McNothing credit for that win - the first meeting last season at FedEx. More than anything, Marvin Lewis called a poor game.

Actually, it's intellectually dishonest to blame Marvin Lewis. McNabb has usually been a problem for the Redskins. In fact, I keep seeing that reinforced on this forum.

Do you also remember when we shutdown the Eagles 13-3 two seasons ago? Wonder why? Simple, really - McRunner wasn't allowed to run around and make plays thanks to a Mr. Arrington.

That's why I wrote 'most times'.

Do you remember the second meeting last season? Hardly a torching, to use your words. No, the only torching I saw was a young Patrick Ramsey in his third or fourth game TORCH the "vaunted" Philthy secondary with a cast of WR's that don't even begin to compare to this year's.

Sure do, that's the game when our third-string QB TORCHED you for 34 points. McNabb didn't play that game. And yeah, Ramsey had a good game but remember that we were up 31-7 at one point and went into the prevent defense.

bodybag. McNabbs still there. The offense is the same. The only differnce now is that the defense and special teams is no longer as good as it was.

So how do you explain THAT?

He's been the most overrated player in the league for 3 years now. All of sudden, the mediots realize it and call it the right way, and all Philthy mediots can do is cry racism. PAthetic.

McNabb may be overrated. He may not be. But to say a QB in this day and age is treated with kid gloves by the media because he's black is ridiculous. Are McNair, Culpepper, Vick or Brooks overrated? Has the media pumped up Jeff Blake, Rodney Peete and Kordell Stewart too much because they are black?

IMHO, it's more likely Rush is critical of McNabb because McNabb is black. Black players breaking the QB position barrier is decades old news. Noone even thinks about it anymore. That Rush still does says more about him than the liberal media for reacting to him.

Kilmer - first, I'm not crying racism, although others might be.

Second, this season is still to early to cast judgment on McNabb as being exposed. The guy has shown over the last few seasons that he can lead a team to the playoffs and win a few games there. He deserves some credit for that.

Third, about being overrated: I think there's actually some merit in that comment. I have found a surprising amount of favorable press about him in the past year or so even though I thought there were other very good QBs out there. But that's still a long way from comparing him to Akili Smith.

Originally posted by BodyBagGame

Actually, it's intellectually dishonest to blame Marvin Lewis. McNabb has usually been a problem for the Redskins. In fact, I keep seeing that reinforced on this forum.

That's why I wrote 'most times'.

Sure do, that's the game when our third-string QB TORCHED you for 34 points. McNabb didn't play that game. And yeah, Ramsey had a good game but remember that we were up 31-7 at one point and went into the prevent defense.

Oh I get it, I can't blame Marvin Lewis for his scheme but you certainly can blame Johnson for calling a prevent defense.

"Most" means a majority. 1 out of 4 doesn not constitute a majority.

Responding to you is waste of time.

Get over yourself and your overrated team.

:eaglesuck

Oh I get it, I can't blame Marvin Lewis for his scheme but you certainly can blame Johnson for calling a prevent defense.

I wasn't blaming Johnson for anything; a prevent defense at 31-7 seems quite reasonable to me.

Most" means a majority. 1 out of 4 doesn not constitute a majority

Huh? Face it; McNabb has had some good games against the Skins. It's nothing to be ashamed of.

Responding to you is waste of time.Get over yourself and your overrated team.

Awwwww, that was so hurtful.

Ya know, after the game I heard praise from the Philly defenders regarding Ramsey. But, Philly fans always claim that Philly went into prevent mode, which let Ramsey pile up stats.

Now, I'm not going to say that I know more about the Eagles than their fans, because I don't. But, everytime I've seen the Eagles get big leads, IMO, that's when they really start attacking the QB. They go into a frenzy. A prevent doesn't seem to be their MO. Especially against a rookie QB. Unless they were afraid of him.

More likely, the Eagles went into a coverage, but not a prevent, mode. And, our rookie carved it up pretty good.

You know what? He's a lot better now. I hope they play the same defense, again - with lesser personnel. No telling how much he'll throw for, then.

Sonny, I sort of remember Reid getting some mild criticism after last year's second Redskins game because the team went conservative when he had a big lead (he blew a two-TD lead against the Titans in the opening game last year). I do think that they went into prevent though; I just remember watching the soft coverage that we had.

In any event, you're right - Ramsey is much better now, and he has more weapons. On another thread I actually chose the Skins by 3. We'll see.

Yes, you did state that Johnson's decision to go into a prevent D is the reason why Ramsey was so successful. BTW - What did it "prevent" - certainly not three touchdown passes by Ramsey.

McNabb had ONE good game against us. I submit that if Lewis played the D like Kurt did the previous season, the result would have been quite different. Not saying we would have won, just that it would not have been a trashing.

Wasn't meant to be hurtful. But I guess, for a typical Philly fan, that's hard to understand - the truth, that is.

Let me start by saying my second favorite football player ever is Warren Moon.

That being said, yes the media does go way overboard on black QB's. Just like the media goes WAY overboard with WHITE Urlacher and WHITE Sehorn (when he first came out). And if a white RB ran like the wind, let the hype begin.

Brian is a good linebacker with some great tools, but he is far from great.

The media went way overboard with Vick. He's young and can run, has a strong arm. Fine, give me 4 years of solid ball, then I crown you King.

If you think about, the media jumps and overblows everything about football. After the first week in football, experts everywhere already have told us who the best teams in the NFL are.

OSF, I thought you weren't going to waste your time on me. I'm flattered that you changed your mind.

Yes, you did state that Johnson's decision to go into a prevent D is the reason why Ramsey was so successful. BTW - What did it "prevent" - certainly not three touchdown passes by Ramsey.

Yeah, but I wasn't blaming him; just commenting on it. There's a difference. You blamed Marvin Lewis.

McNabb had ONE good game against us. I submit that if Lewis played the D like Kurt did the previous season, the result would have been quite different. Not saying we would have won, just that it would not have been a trashing.

I also remember McNabb having good games in 2000 and 2001. The thing with McNabb is that because of Reid's 3-yard pass plan, his statistics are rarely Dan Fouts-like. Second, because of his intangibles he can hurt teams in other areas.

About Kurt vs. Lewis: who knows.

Wasn't meant to be hurtful. But I guess, for a typical Philly fan, that's hard to understand - the truth, that is.

Actually, we're big boys - we can handle abuse. Hell, we give it out pretty good; taking some is the least we can do.

Archived