Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2013 Comprehensive NFL Draft Database

Dukes and Skins

I don't want to heap pressure upon this draft class.

I mentioned earlier about the 49ers 1981 draft class where they took 4 DBs and turned around a horrible defense/secondary.

Based on how bad some of the secondary play was last year if this group can just be average the defense has taken a huge step forward.

In many respects the future of the defense rests in the hands of Amerson, Thomas and Rambo.

I mentioned earlier about the 49ers 1981 draft class where they took 4 DBs and turned around a horrible defense/secondary.

Based on how bad some of the secondary play was last year if this group can just be average the defense has taken a huge step forward.

In many respects the future of the defense rests in the hands of Amerson, Thomas and Rambo.

If that DB group can be like the 49ers class, then Lord, we'll win a SB. Multiple SBs. It'd be that big a difference. Turn the D from a weakness to a dominating unit.

I love Amerson and Rambo, but we'll be extremely lucky if either ends up near as good as Ronnie Lott or Eric Wright. Carlton Williamson made two Probowls too.

I'm a little antsy about Phillip Thomas in retrospect, I need to see him play well here to totally buy in. Is he the player he was before his injury?

And much as I love Rambo, I'm worried that his low draft status gives him too little protection if he struggles early or gets injured. I need to see him play well here too.

If you were to combine the DB picks from Seattle's 2010 and 2011 classes, that'd be like SF's 1981 class (Chancellor, Thomas, Sherman). Those three will combine for many Probowls.

I seem to remember the 9ers got Merton Hanks in that secondary too eventually, though I don't remember how. Plus Deion for a hot minute. What a dominant unit. It'd be a dream if Amerson, Rambo, and Thomas can become like that.

If that DB group can be like the 49ers class, then Lord, we'll win a SB. Multiple SBs. It'd be that big a difference. Turn the D from a weakness to a dominating unit.

I love Amerson and Rambo, but we'll be extremely lucky if either ends up near as good as Ronnie Lott or Eric Wright. Carlton Williamson made two Probowls too.

I'm a little antsy about Phillip Thomas in retrospect, I need to see him play well here to totally buy in. Is he the player he was before his injury?

And much as I love Rambo, I'm worried that his low draft status gives him too little protection if he struggles early or gets injured. I need to see him play well here too.

If you were to combine the DB picks from Seattle's 2010 and 2011 classes, that'd be like SF's 1981 class (Chancellor, Thomas, Sherman). Those three will combine for many Probowls.

I seem to remember the 9ers got Merton Hanks in that secondary too eventually, though I don't remember how. Plus Deion for a hot minute. What a dominant unit. It'd be a dream if Amerson, Rambo, and Thomas can become like that.

Like before when I made the comparison and was dismissed my comparison to that unit stems from the quantity of DBs both teams took and the opportunity to improve their respectives defenses and teams.

I am not equating the quality of players.

Our pass defense and SAF play was so far below league average that merely average SAF play will improve the defense.

I think Amerson, Rambo or Thomas are capable of league average play.

---------- Post added May-13th-2013 at 09:16 AM ----------

Thomas and Rambo would not have been my selections. But, as I stated several times in these threads: we're talking about the best prospects in world and the difference between a 1st round prospect and UDFA rookie isn't as large as we make it out to be. I try not to let my rankings develop into strong negative opinions about players. Although I had my doubts about both players but their is talent there and each rookie enters the NFL with their physical talent and a clean slate. Like with any rookie we expect them to eventually reach a higher level of play then in college. We expect our coaching staff to coach out their mental mistakes, technique mistakes etc discipline, pursuit angles, form tackling etc. We also expect them to maximize their physical skillset through the strength training and fitness program. Their coachability, dedication, football smarts and love of the game will decide what type of players they or any prospect becomes.

RE: Rambo's low draft status

I think this organization more then most values and targets it late round draft picks based on their scheme fit and potential. I suspect that despite Rambo's low draft status he will get at least the same level of draft status respect given to Thomas.

RE:Thomas

I thought you would be higher on Thomas then most based on your view of him as a prospect.

I lowered Thomas on my SAF rankings because compared to the prospects ahead of him I thought he was inconsistent in his pursuit angles and tackling and lacked top end speed (but he has as much speed as Jarius Byrd) and didn't play FS in his college's scheme.

But despite his lack of speed I liked his movement ability. Thomas is a fluid mover with good change of direction and quickness. It was evident to me in the Senior Bowl during the individual drills. Even in the brief drills we saw at rookie camp he looked smoother then Rambo to my eye.

But despite the rhetoric from the media I don't see Thomas as having the scheme knowledge that they boast about him having. In fact I think Rambo has more scheme knowledge, especially at FS then Thomas. But, that doesn't mean that Thomas cannot make the transition to FS. It only means that right now it appears to me that Rambo is more a FS in this scheme and Thomas is more a SS.

I agree completely. Those three don't need to be Ronnie Lott, Ed Reed, and Darrell Green. If they can give similar production as Kerry Rhodes, Dawan Landry, and Fred Smoot we will have a much better DEF for the next few years.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/05/13/secret-superstar-bobbie-massie/

....Turning Things Around

Thankfully, with the help of PFF, Massie was able to turn things around in the second half of the season in a way nobody would have expected. From Week 8 onward, he had just two games where he finished with an overall negative grade, and just one where he graded negatively as a pass blocker. Suddenly, the player who was allowing pressure on 14.5% of his pass blocking snaps was making pass protection look easy.

In those remaining nine games he allowed more than two total pressures in a single game just once, against the Chicago Bears in Week 16. And what about the 47 total pressures allowed over the first seven weeks? Just 14 from that point on – an incredible turnaround!

A quick glance at our Pass Blocking Efficiency (PBE) Signature Stat will show you that he ranked 47th out of the 52 offensive tackles who played at least 50% of their team’s passing snaps. That’s an indication of just how bad the beginning of the season was for Massie, with his fantastic performance over the second half of the year barely raising him up the rankings at all. However, if you purely look at those last nine games, his PBE Rating comes in at 97.3. Had he been able to produce at that level for the full season, he would have been tied for third place among all offensive tackles. That’s how good he was in the second half of the year.

Going Forward

The good news for Massie is that despite a new regime taking over in Arizona, he still looks likely to be the starting right tackle when the season begins. That means he’s going to get the chance to show everyone how good he is over a full season, and correct any misconceptions that he’s one of the worst offensive tackles in the league.

An area he needs to improve on still is as a run blocker. Though he wasn’t terrible, grading out at 0.0 over the full year, he didn’t have any performances where he wowed you in the running game and, if he wants become a complete player, that needs to improve.

It may be lofty ambition, but Massie is genuinely capable of being considered one of the best right tackles in the league by this time next year, he certainly played like one to finish 2012. What’s important is that he builds on that strong finish and doesn’t revert back to the form that had us shielding our eyes in his first few starts.

His improved level of play makes that seem so long ago, and the mere thought that the same player can be one of the best at his position might seem hard to believe, but that’s how impressive this Secret Superstar was late in the year, and we can’t wait to see how he progresses in 2013 and beyond.

I agree completely. Those three don't need to be Ronnie Lott, Ed Reed, and Darrell Green. If they can give similar production as Kerry Rhodes, Dawan Landry, and Fred Smoot we will have a much better DEF for the next few years.

That's kind of what I've been getting at as well. Last year, going in, we knew things would be a little rough back there, then you lose your two starting safeties for pretty much the whole season. I don't think I've ever seen such bad secondary play before.

With the new draft additions (as well as Biggers) I expect major improvement (And let's be honest, as bad as last year was, major improvement would simply mean not sucking), though things could understandably be a little rocky in the beginning with so many new faces.

• 2 weeks later...

Bacarri Rambo is our new Ed Reed and Phillip Thomas is our new Troy Polamalu! I really hope these two safeties will be our stud safety combo for many years to come! HTTR

http://college-football.si.com/2012/10/31/fresno-state-phillip-thomas-profiles-in-profiteroles/

“This 3-4 defense that we run, we learned it from Dick LeBeau and the Steelers, and Phillip’s our Troy Polamalu,” DeRuyter told SI.com. “Where you’ve gotta have a guy who’s gonna be a difference-maker, you can blitz him, you can have him in pass coverage, you can have him as a run-force player, he can play man coverage and he can disguise everything? That guy, for us, is Phillip.”

http://httr4life.com/phillip-thomas-talks-to-media/

Phillip Thomas is a life-long Redskins fan, when asked who his favorite player was he replied, “Sean Taylor.”

“To watch him play the game as aggressive as he was and as great a player as he was…” Thomas said. “He studied film and did everything he had to do and was a perfectionist at the game.”

http://jacksonville.com/sports/college/georgia-bulldogs/2012-11-08/story/bulldogs-bacarri-rambo-welcomes-comparison-his-role

Bacarri Rambo has a knack for swarming to the ball.

So does his favorite player, Baltimore Ravens safety Ed Reed. Teammates and coaches have said that Rambo reminds them most of Reed when asked to compare the Georgia safety to an NFL player. And that’s without the eight-time Pro Bowler’s name even mentioned in the question.

It shouldn’t come as much of a surprise, though. Rambo said that he’s followed Reed’s career since he was a child and tries to emulate the future Hall of Famer every Saturday.

“I watch his highlight film a lot to see how he does things,” Rambo said. “I feel like he’s more of a ball hawk and that’s what I try to suit myself as. If it comes down to making a big hit, he’s going to make the big hit. I try to do that, too, but now I’d rather just catch interceptions.”

http://fanspeak.com/nfldraft/2013/04/28/bacarri-rambo-senior-bowl-interview/

I used to look up to Sean Taylor. Rest in peace to a great man, he was a great player. I really respected him, and I looked up to him. But right now, I’d say Ed Reed. I just like his playing style. I just try to do certain things like him, like reading the quarterback and just playing certain types of coverages. And just having that knack for the ball.

http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2013-05-05/sports/39048114_1_washington-redskins-alfred-morris-trent-williams

“I feel like I can get there [to the football] and create turnovers,” Rambo said after practice. “I want to be the greatest at my position.”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MctoYvSX68  Phillip Thomas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMt4Y9Nt5bA  Bacarri Rambo

filepicker%2Fx1tIAE5ZTpiQSlJnsGZv_rambo.

Jadaveon Clowney would be nice  :)  But seriously I hope we get a really good inside linebacker, someone who can take over for Fletcher if he decides to hang em up next season.

No chance unless we trade Cousins and tell RG3 to take 2013 off to rehab.  Rex is our only shot at Clowney lol

No chance unless we trade Cousins and tell RG3 to take 2013 off to rehab.  Rex is our only shot at Clowney lol

Well, a catastrophic injury maybe, but even then I doubt it.  Clowney might just be the best pass rushing prospect since LT.  I have a hard time seeing him not going #1 in the next two years.  It'll be exciting to watch him play in the nfl, I just hope it's not for a trash team like Oakland.

• 6 months later...

Archived