Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Raw Story: GOP Senate nominee: Women don’t get pregnant from ‘legitimate’ rapes

Burgold

I agree, but that is not what he said

if he believes that he is a imbecile

Others have stated this to you already, but

if it’s a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down

equals

To suggest that a woman can turn off an unwanted pregnancy is to also imply that all pregnancies are wanted. Therefore, any rape which results in a pregancy is legitimate. A belief which is patently assinine.

in my book

Politically speaking, Mitt could win Missouri right now if he came out and demanded Akin drop out.

Absolutely. It would be a political masterstroke (maybe the first of Romney's career).

But Romney is going to win Missouri anyway. That state gets redder each year.

Absolutely. It would be a political masterstroke (maybe the first of Romney's career).

But Romney is going to win Missouri anyway. That state gets redder each year.

So maybe it helps in other swing states. Or down ticket races in MO.

Politically speaking, Mitt could win Missouri right now if he came out and demanded Akin drop out.

Might be better to say something like, "He should known the right thing to do, and I hope he does it".

If he comes down too hard on Akin, it could hurt him with the right wingers in other states.

Might be better to say something like, "He should known the right thing to do, and I hope he does it".

If he comes down too hard on Akin, it could hurt him with the right wingers in other states.

I dont think so. Even ultra right wingers who believe that abortion should be illegal in EVERY case, understand it's stupid to talk about in the extreme.

The person replacing him on the ballot would still be pro-life.

equals

To suggest that a woman can turn off an unwanted pregnancy is to also imply that all pregnancies are wanted. Therefore, any rape which results in a pregancy is legitimate. A belief which is patently assinine.

in my book

I note you use 'suggests' and 'imply'...Why those if he said it?

he clearly understands rape can result in pregnancy

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/314485/akin-has-no-plans-quit-race-katrina-trinko

Despite the media firestorm regarding his comments yesterday about “legitimate rape,” Missouri GOP senate candidate Todd Akin does not plan to drop out of the race.

“Let me be clear: rape is never legitimate,” Akin said on Mike Huckabee’s radio program. “It’s an evil act.”

“I also know people do become pregnant from rape … it does happen,” he said later on. Akin said he knew rape victims, none of whom had become pregnant, but again reiterated that he understood a woman could become pregnant from rape.

“I was talking about forcible rape, and it was absolutely the wrong word,” Akin said, in reference to his use of the word “legitimate” to modify “rape.”

I dont think so. Even ultra right wingers who believe that abortion should be illegal in EVERY case, understand it's stupid to talk about in the extreme.

The person replacing him on the ballot would still be pro-life.

Maybe, but Romney is already mistrusted by a lot of the christian right and especially over abortion.

And he doesn't want to look like he's stabbing a more conservative politician in the back.

Ideally, he should be able to condemn the guy's comments and tell him to drop out.

But I'm not sure it wouldn't hurt him in some circles that might have been already wavering on voting this time around.

I note you use 'suggests' and 'imply'...Why those if he said it?

he clearly understands rape can result in pregnancy

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/314485/akin-has-no-plans-quit-race-katrina-trinko

Despite the media firestorm regarding his comments yesterday about “legitimate rape,” Missouri GOP senate candidate Todd Akin does not plan to drop out of the race.

“Let me be clear: rape is never legitimate,” Akin said on Mike Huckabee’s radio program. “It’s an evil act.”

“I also know people do become pregnant from rape … it does happen,” he said later on. Akin said he knew rape victims, none of whom had become pregnant, but again reiterated that he understood a woman could become pregnant from rape.

“I was talking about forcible rape, and it was absolutely the wrong word,” Akin said, in reference to his use of the word “legitimate” to modify “rape.”

So he's saying you can't get pregnant from forcible rape?

Wonder why Sen. Tom Coburn is so silent on this topic? He's an ob/gyn. Maybe he doesn't want his colleague to look bad.

And all rapes are "forcible" even the statutory rapes because they involve power and not sex, it's just that sex is the avenue of violence and power.

I typically loathe the "why wont XXX condemn so and so"?

But if he's asked about it, he should come down hard.

Yep...forcible rape being "legitimate rape".

...I think he would help himself more if he were just to say "I'm being a complete dunce on this issue, ignore me".

I can't figure out if it's funny or sad that people in the GOP are trying to spin this into a semantics issue.

...I think he would help himself more if he were just to say "I'm being a complete dunce on this issue, ignore me".

I can't figure out if it's funny or sad that people in the GOP are trying to spin this into a semantics issue.

Because they don't have anything. Thus, the semantics exercise.

equals

in my book

Not quite...not from a factual standpoint, but that is wrong from a logical standpoint.

If it were true that a woman's body can shut down its ability to become pregnant like this guy was claiming, it would be a self-defense mechanism triggered by the threat of violence that would have nothing to do with her wanting or not wanting to become pregnant. So from a pure logic standpoint, it would be more accurate to say that all pregnancies were evidence that the woman didn't feel there was a violent threat at the time.

Of course, reaching that conclusion would still be all kinds of stupid lol...but it flows better logically. :)

---------- Post added August-20th-2012 at 11:13 AM ----------

Yep...forcible rape being "legitimate rape".

Isn't "forcible rape" redundant? lol...

They have used that tactic extremely well in recent years. Why abandon it now?

Archived