Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Obamacare...(new title): GOP DEATH PLAN: Don-Ryan's Express

JMS

2 hours ago, alexey said:

One of the biggest problems with Obamacare is that it became the default explanation for all problems with our healtrhcare system.

That. And there is no way to alleviate the burden placed on the few payers into the system.  And also the government dictated the types of coverages required without accounting for cost.   There might be 1000 more.

24 minutes ago, twa said:

Have you had Obamacare Riggo?

I have, and am less than impressed.

Though I doubt I'll be happy with what Congress comes up with next either. :ols:

I have always gotten insurance through my employer, so no, I've had no experience with the exchanges.

That many of them are collapsing and insurers pulling out seems to indicate that segment of the ACA has failed. I meant only to reinforce what Alexey noted - that the system was already inherently flawed, but Obamacare has become the scapegoat for all our healthcare woes, including preexisting conditions (pun intended).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

I have always gotten insurance through my employer, so no, I've had no experience with the exchanges.

That many of them are collapsing and insurers pulling out seems to indicate that segment of the ACA has failed. I meant only to reinforce what Alexey noted - that the system was already inherently flawed, but Obamacare has become the scapegoat for all our healthcare woes, including preexisting conditions (pun intended).

What happened is that people that haven't had health insurance and thus haven't had the ability to finally get health care, finally did and it was costly to insurance companies. Keep in mind they still made a lot of money overall, they just didn't like that these people cost them even MORE money. 

35 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

That. And there is no way to alleviate the burden placed on the few payers into the system.  And also the government dictated the types of coverages required without accounting for cost.   There might be 1000 more.

The burden isn't placed on a few payers into the system and while the government could have had less coverage requirements for younger, healthy people, it was definitely a positive that they dictated types of coverage. Telling insurance companies they actually had to spend your money on actual health care instead of overhead/salaries/etc should be viewed as a positive. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, twa said:

Have you had Obamacare Riggo?

I have, and am less than impressed.

Though I doubt I'll be happy with what Congress comes up with next either. :ols:

You haven't "had Obamacare".  No one has "had Obamacare" because it isn't an insurance.  Do you even know what you are talking about?  This kind of uninformed rambling is what gives the right a bad name.  Please stop, this hole is just getting deeper.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

You haven't "had Obamacare".  No one has "had Obamacare" because it isn't an insurance.  Do you even know what you are talking about?  This kind of uninformed rambling is what gives the right a bad name.  Please stop, this hole is just getting deeper.

That's funny. For a year and a half, there, I had health insurance that I purchased through an exchange, run by the federal government, with my premiums almost entirely paid for by a federal subsidy. 

(Wish I still had it. It was fantastic coverage, and virtually free, thanks to the subsidy. Unfortunately, I'm now employed by an employer who offers (much worse) coverage, so I don't qualify, any more.)

I'm pretty sure that I "had Obamacare". 

Guess I don't exist. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Larry said:

That's funny. For a year and a half, there, I had health insurance that I purchased through an exchange, run by the federal government, with my premiums almost entirely paid for by a federal subsidy. 

(Wish I still had it. It was fantastic coverage, and virtually free, thanks to the subsidy. Unfortunately, I'm now employed by an employer who offers (much worse) coverage, so I don't qualify, any more.)

Guess I don't exist. 

You didnt have "obamacare" in the sense that your health insurance company wasnt called "obamacare" but a priv health ins fund subsidized by the Fed govt. But you know that lol ... 

I have health through my employer with a 4k deductible. I basically pay over $500 a month for insurance that requires me to pay every thing out of pocket bc I never reach my deductible. I have BCBS and I avoid doctors as mush as possible. Im sure once I get cancer or something serious where I reach my deductible, my health ins will drop me ... 

My lady is on medicaid and I wish I had that vs my plan. I should probably switch my daughter back to her bc I would probably save more money in not paying her deductibles on my priv plan vs how much I save as claiming her as a dependent. One of the "problems" with ACA was that a lot of people who didnt have medicaid but qualified for it, were forced to sign up through the market place. I signed up my lady to get her subsidized through the marketplace but she qualified for medicaid instead. 

Trumps tax plan limits my single parent child deductible anyway ... 

Im the poster child for getting screwed it seems. 

Listening to Jim Jordan from Ohio talk about repealing the ACA and it's nonsense. I mean, I don't know where to start. For example he said when 85% of the people want to be able to keep family up to age 26 on a parents plan, don't ya think the market will take care of that and put that forward on their own?? Ya know, cause the free market will take care of all this and create less expensive and better health coverage. This was his claim.  

1 hour ago, Larry said:

Guess I don't exist. 

Mr. Pink already hit on what you actually had above.  What bothers me is that you even posted this.  You either knew what you had and ignored it to make a snarky remark or you really have absolutely no clue whatsoever and aren't in a position to even discuss this.  I believe it's the former.

Look!  I can chastise people on both sides.  I'm bipartisan!

Hospitals are taking a hit due to Obamacare.  Since health insurance companies are assessing greater patient deductibles, the insurance companies are themselves paying out less of their allowed amounts, and patients are not paying what they owe.  So, hospitals are eating loses all across the country.  The Affordable Care Act is a bust and needs to be repealed. 

1 hour ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

What are you commenting in a 'Obamacare' thread for then? :)

ACA marketplace plan seems so confusing to the simpletons when I use that.....kinda confusing when you have a plan from them as well :hitfan:

14 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Listening to Jim Jordan from Ohio talk about repealing the ACA and it's nonsense. I mean, I don't know where to start. For example he said when 85% of the people want to be able to keep family up to age 26 on a parents plan, don't ya think the market will take care of that and put that forward on their own?? Ya know, cause the free market will take care of all this and create less expensive and better health coverage. This was his claim.  

Thats why "the free market" already did that, before Obamacare, right?  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, twa said:

What are you commenting in a 'Obamacare' thread for then? :)

ACA marketplace plan seems so confusing to the simpletons when I use that.....kinda confusing when you have a plan from them as well :hitfan:

You have an insurance policy that you got through the marketplace BECAUSE OF Obamacare.  Obamacare isn't an insurance.  It isn't like Tricare for example.  It is sad how many people think Obamacare is horrible but actually don't even realize that it isn't something you can "have".

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Mr. Pink already hit on what you actually had above.  What bothers me is that you even posted this.  You either knew what you had and ignored it to make a snarky remark or you really have absolutely no clue whatsoever and aren't in a position to even discuss this.  I believe it's the former.

Look!  I can chastise people on both sides.  I'm bipartisan!

Your point was that not one person had health insurance in which "Obamacare" was the literal name of the insurance company, and you've got the balls to criticize somebody else for being picky?  

:) 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

You have an insurance policy that you got through the marketplace BECAUSE OF Obamacare.  Obamacare isn't an insurance.  It isn't like Tricare for example.  It is sad how many people think Obamacare is horrible but actually don't even realize that it isn't something you can "have".

The marketplace IS Obamacare.

What is sad is folk never having or using it trying to tell those that have what it is.

10 minutes ago, Ron78 said:

Hospitals are taking a hit due to Obamacare.  Since health insurance companies are assessing greater patient deductibles, the insurance companies are themselves paying out less of their allowed amounts, and patients are not paying what they owe.  So, hospitals are eating loses all across the country.  The Affordable Care Act is a bust and needs to be repealed. 

Do you have numbers to back this up? What do you think hospitals did all those years before Obamacare when people without insurance would show up to a hospital? 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ron78 said:

Do you actually think that those words you've strung together form a coherent point?  

• Like 1

Gee, you mean the for profit hospitals aren't making as much profit as they used to? Cry me a river.

I have a $60k bill from my stroke that I can't pay because I couldn't afford a bronze plan of $800 a month premium with a $6k deductible as a self employed person who made $30k last year, but my average was higher. 

I'm now on Medicare, I pay a bit over $200/month for Plan F, plus the $137 they take out of Social Security for Part B. I'm lucky now, but it won't pay for my stroke that I had in June before I turned 65. 

Now they're going to **** with Medicare and I'll get to pay even more for health care because you know those ****s will limit the vouchers 

You know that the end game of those ****s is to beggar us in our elder years.

Thanks Republican voters.

1 minute ago, Larry said:

Do you actually think that those words you've strung together form a coherent point?  

The irony is that rural hospitals have been hurt by states that didn't expand medicaid. It certainly has hurt NC in that way and with jobs. 

I have been exposed now for about 12 months to the US health system. Its crazy.

I have a good health plan via my employer. It costs me just over $600 a month to cover myself, my wife and 2 kids. Only have a $250 deductible (but I do have a 10% co-pay in certain circumstances). Dental covers I think 75% of costs and a I have a vision plan included as well.

The cost of healthcare being provided is crazy though. My first visit to the dentists here I had to have two crowns. Cost to me was about $1000. I'd had a check up before I left the UK and they found no problems and if they had it would have cost me a lot less than $1000 for 2 crowns. Then I took my two boys for eye tests - they had them back in the UK 12 months ago with no issues - these tests found both had a very marginal prescription needed. Cost to me only $75 each, cost to the insurance company quite a bit more.

The fact that the system incentivises the physician to find something to treat is one issue, the cost of treatment is the second big issue. All these inflated costs and over prescribing end up being reflected in our insurance premiums.

THATS the big problem with the US system - not how insurance works or who provides it but the costs it has to cover. Until someone finds a way to break up the health provider/drug company cartels and gets cost of medicine and over prescribing under control everything else is fiddling at the edges. The odds of Trump or the GOP taking that on are minuscule (not that I think Clinton would either).

3 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Do you have numbers to back this up? What do you think hospitals did all those years before Obamacare when people without insurance would show up to a hospital? 

Shuffle em off as quick as possible....ya are only required to stabilize them.

And of course request federal compensation.

1 minute ago, Hersh said:

The irony is that rural hospitals have been hurt by states that didn't expand medicaid. It certainly has hurt NC in that way and with jobs. 

Yeah, I have an (uninformed) opinion that, if it hadn't been intentionally obstructed by red states, Medicaid expansion would have been the shining triumph of Obamacare, by extending minimal health care, using an already-existing, broad, provider network, to the "near poor". 

But granted, it's an uninformed opinion. Would have been nice to try it, and actually find out. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Larry said:

Your point was that not one person had health insurance in which "Obamacare" was the literal name of the insurance company, and you've got the balls to criticize somebody else for being picky?  

:) 

My picky was defining Obamacare in the "Obamacare thread".  Seemed like a good place for that accurate info.  You posted knowingly false info and I corrected it.  I know, I know, facts shmacts.

10 minutes ago, twa said:

The marketplace IS Obamacare.

What is sad is folk never having or using it trying to tell those that have what it is.

Well considering my wife's entire job is ensuring large companies are compliant with Obamacare and everyday she likes to tell me about all the things people have wrong about it, I consider myself better informed than most.  

Now the market place was set up by Obamacare but it doesn't sell Obamacare.  Think of it like buying a redskins hat from Amazon.  When you do, you have a hat.  You don't have Amazon.

Edited by TheGreatBuzz
  • Like 1