Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Finally...a turning point in DC sports

Spaceman Spiff

I think in a few years we're going to look back at the spring of 2012 as a turning point for DC sports. It'll be looked at as the year the Skins picked RG3, the year the Nats finally started making noise and brought up Bryce Harper, the year the Caps made a deep playoff run...and the Wizards...well, we can't have it all, can we? Three out of four ain't bad.

IMO, DC has been primed to become a good sports town for a long time now. The past few weeks have been extremely exciting and it's only going to get better.

I agree things seem to be turning for the area. I don't think we've arrived yet but it's definitely shifting.

or Ix you find jobs in this area? I really have no clue why anyone would leave this area. Every type of job opportunity is available in this area

Cost. This area is insanely expensive.

I agree things seem to be turning for the area. I don't think we've arrived yet but it's definitely shifting.

Well, there are so many areas that people refuse to move into because they think it will lower themselves

Meh, The Wizards are still the Wizards...

Hopefully it's not a repeat of '10, with all the excitement for Wall, Ovechkin, Strasburg, the arrival of Shanahan, along with McNabb, and drafting Bryce Harper.

Fastforward about 8 months, and the Wizards are a mess, Strasburg jacks his shoulder up, the Skins suck, and the Caps get swept.

Yeah don't really understand that one. If they get bounced out in the 2nd round, it's not much different than what they've done for the last few years.

I don't understand how in the landscape of dc sports being a constant presence into post season is so easily discounted. It's like dc fans think the post season is only there to win it all. How many times do the best teams make the post season versus winning it all? What's the ratio?

Agree that we are on the cusp of a turning point, and may have already turned that corner with Harper and Griffin.

Also, not universal for the DC area, but George Mason is rumored to be announcing a move to the A10 on Tuesday for all sports, along with VCU and Butler. Would make a basketball conference that rivals the power 6 conferences in top to bottom quality.

Nats are really the only team that I am legitimately exited about...Skins and Caps is more cautious optimism. I hope RG3 works out, but it may take a few years. I hope the Caps can beat the Rangers, but if they don't who knows what will happen? Nats are pretty much a lock to be a contender in the very near future.

I think in a few years we're going to look back at the spring of 2012 as a turning point for DC sports. It'll be looked at as the year the Skins picked RG3, the year the Nats finally started making noise and brought up Bryce Harper, the year the Caps made a deep playoff run...and the Wizards...well, we can't have it all, can we? Three out of four ain't bad.

IMO, DC has been primed to become a good sports town for a long time now. The past few weeks have been extremely exciting and it's only going to get better.

I definitely agree, this is an exciting time to be a DC sports fan. I think the Nats are the real deal. They've been building that team with top draft picks for a while now and it's all starting to come to fruition. The Caps have been good for a few years now and hopefully that can move on to the next series in the playoffs and make a real run. Now we have all of this excitement with RGIII on board. I hope more than anything, that he can be the QB we've been coveting for the last couple of decades and help lead this team back to great things. Also, DC United are pretty hot in MLS right now.

I don't understand how in the landscape of dc sports being a constant presence into post season is so easily discounted. It's like dc fans think the post season is only there to win it all. How many times do the best teams make the post season versus winning it all? What's the ratio?

Is this directed at me? I'm not discounting their achievements. But the OP said "the year the Caps made a deep playoff run". Making it to the second round and being down 1-0 is making a deep playoff run?

Your post is better directed at someone diminishing what the Caps have accomplished for the last few years.

Cost is a huge factor. But even bigger for me was work/life balance.

In DC I worked 9am until 7pm/8pm most days. My commute was 1 hr each way. That is 2hrs per day. 10hrs per week. 520hr a year.

Now, I have a 10 minute commute each way, I can come home for lunch, leave around 5pm every day and get paid the same that I did in DC. I am home by 5:15 most days drinking a beer in my back yard.

Cost is a huge factor. But even bigger for me was work/life balance.

In DC I worked 9am until 7pm/8pm most days. My commute was 1 hr each way. That is 2hrs per day. 10hrs per week. 520hr a year.

Now, I have a 10 minute commute each way, I can come home for lunch, leave around 5pm every day and get paid the same that I did in DC. I am home by 5:15 most days drinking a beer in my back yard.

Ding Ding!

Meh, The Wizards are still the Wizards...

Hopefully it's not a repeat of '10, with all the excitement for Wall, Ovechkin, Strasburg, the arrival of Shanahan, along with McNabb, and drafting Bryce Harper.

Fastforward about 8 months, and the Wizards are a mess, Strasburg jacks his shoulder up, the Skins suck, and the Caps get swept.

I still think that 2010 was the turning point. If anything, this spring has been a continuation from 2010. The Wizards are probably the only team that is in a situation similar to 2010, but they have mostly gotten better with the good ole addition by subtraction. (Gil, Jamison, Butler, McGee, Young, and hopefully Blatche all gone.)

The Caps got worst, but looks to have gotten better at the same time. They are playing a different type of game right now and looks to have finally found the right mix of coaching and players to take the next step. If it is any year for them to sneak in and win it all, it would be this year.

The Nats are a hitter or two and some good relief pitching away from being a strong contender. It kind of sucks that if we do make the playoffs that Stras probably wont be able to pitch, but we still have some quality starters that we could beat a team 4 out of 7.

I still think the Redskins are the closest to to winning a championship out of all the teams here. We have a good mix of players on the both sides of the ball and some good coaching to go with it. But the reason I think they are closer is because of the parity in the NFL. I know this is laughed at when mentioned, but we did sweep the champs last year in convincing fashion. :2cents:

I really have no clue why anyone would leave this area. Every type of job opportunity is available in this area

i agree. there is no place in the country better than DC, and the center of it all is in Fairfax/Loudon county. Anything you could want is available in northern virginia.

Archived