Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CSN - Hankerson, Brown on the mend

SWFLSkins

Thought we might need a thread of a different type and discuss where these two actually fit this year. Hankerson is joining new company, while Brown may face one come draft day. I think the FA market was thin on starters at the RT spot. He better be on if he is too be counted on. Whereas Hank is probably in the right position for a comeback.

http://www.csnwashington.com/football-washington-redskins/redskins-talk/Hankerson-Brown-on-the-mend?blockID=678622&feedID=6355

Our friend Rich Campbell is in Florida for the NFL owners meetings and his twitter timeline has been buzzing all morning with reports from there including a lot of good nuggets from Mike Shanahan this morning. Check out his timeline; if you don’t follow him, you should.

One bit of information he passed along from Shanahan was that the coach said that wide receiver Leonard Hankers should be sufficiently recovered from hip surgery to participate in activities on June 1.

While the offseason training program starts April 16, OTA’s don’t commence until mid May. That will allow Hankerson to get in on some of the 10 permitted OTA sessions and probable the mandatory minicamp, depending on when that is scheduled.

After that he will be able to work with Robert Griffin III (or Andrew Luck) for the next month and a half and hit the ground running for training camp.

JJ should be fully recovered by training camp. I imagine they'll have him do light workouts during minicamps and OTA's but nothing serious. Hank should be good, but I tihnk there is more urgency to make sure JJ can be ready to go full speed for training camp.

One bit of information he passed along from Shanahan was that the coach said that wide receiver Leonard Hankers should be sufficiently recovered from hip surgery to participate in activities on June 1.

While the offseason training program starts April 16, OTA’s don’t commence until mid May. That will allow Hankerson to get in on some of the 10 permitted OTA sessions and probable the mandatory minicamp, depending on when that is scheduled.

After that he will be able to work with Robert Griffin III (or Andrew Luck) for the next month and a half and hit the ground running for training camp.

Yeah, I still have high hopes for Hank, and can't wait to see JJ raising Hell!

We've all been hating on Mara for weeks now but it looks like he might have just saved us from ourselves again. The Jets stepped in and saved us from Sanchez and now him from Manning. Why couldnt someone have helped us out on McNabb? Oh well....

We've all been hating on Mara for weeks now but it looks like he might have just saved us from ourselves again. The Jets stepped in and saved us from Sanchez and now him from Manning. Why couldnt someone have helped us out on McNabb? Oh well....

How so? Who says we were going to go after Vincent Jackson anyway? With the speed that we signed Garcon and Morgan, and the timing of the sanctions, we probably didn't even have him on our list of targets. If we missed out on anyone, it would have been corners or linemen.

Yea I don't think we were ever serious about V Jax. He was commanding way more money than we were offering to the likes of Garcon and Morgan. It was a solid smokescreen; had all of ES talkin nothin but how good V Jax was for weeks. I think we are better off with what we got now anyways.

As far as Mara saving us form anything, I don't know if I would put it that way. You could just as easily argue it's Mara that is screwing us from being able to resign London and grab top FA O-lineman...so please don't start thanking Mara just yet.

How so? Who says we were going to go after Vincent Jackson anyway? With the speed that we signed Garcon and Morgan, and the timing of the sanctions, we probably didn't even have him on our list of targets. If we missed out on anyone, it would have been corners or linemen.

Not sure where you got V. Jackson. I was talking about Peyton Manning whom I think the signing of would've been a step backwards. Of course it does say we'd already traded for the second pick but tying 95M up in him would have been rediculous. That type money would've been better spent in our secondary and oline on players that will be here 5+ years as RG3 matures.

V Jackson, I could've lived with or without for that much money.

Not sure where you got V. Jackson. I was talking about Peyton Manning whom I think the signing of would've been a step backwards. Of course it does say we'd already traded for the second pick but tying 95M up in him would have been rediculous. That type money would've been better spent in our secondary and oline on players that will be here 5+ years as RG3 matures.

V Jackson, I could've lived with or without for that much money.

So why are you putting that in this thread? The OP has nothing to do with Free Agency or Manning. This has to do with Hankerson and/or Brown. That's how I got VJax, because he's a receiver that we were supposedly after.

There are plenty of free agency/QB threads you could have put that comment in.

I remember getting really excited after watching a play of Hankerson's being broken down. I can't really describe it except that it was almost an inside slant turn stop and go route. It had the commentators dribbling saying there aren't many players in the league capable of the timing etc.

With Garcon, Morgan, Moss, Gaffney, Hankerson and Paul - I think we're in really really good shape at receiver.

I thought Brown would be the answer at RT, but obviously that has not worked out. He's been on the mend for going on two years now. I'd rather part ways with him when the cap allows and just roll with Tyler Polumbus and a draft prospect. He's simply not worth his salary and its impact on our cap is a problem I think.

I remember getting really excited after watching a play of Hankerson's being broken down. I can't really describe it except that it was almost an inside slant turn stop and go route. It had the commentators dribbling saying there aren't many players in the league capable of the timing etc.

With Garcon, Morgan, Moss, Gaffney, Hankerson and Paul - I think we're in really really good shape at receiver.

Completely agree. This wasn't the play you're talking about, but on the 2 point conversion he scored (I'm pretty sure it was a whip route), he slanted in and pushed off ever so slightly (something that the best receivers pull off but others would get flagged for) to get separation.

I really think Garcon, Morgan, Hankerson and Paul are our future at the position. What Moss and Gaffney give us are guys familiar with the system that can will contribute while the other guys are being brought along. And if they don't pan out, we've still got four quality guys. I think they will though.

I want to see Robert Griffin III, on a plane visiting each one. Hell - I want each one on a plane visiting him and spending the summer together.

I'm not as sure. We have bodies certainly, but a lot can happen in the coming months. Moss and or Gaffney could be traded for picks. We showed interest in bringing in Royal. Hankerson is healing. We don't have much invested in Paul, Robinson. We'll see how it shakes out. I personally don't think either Mike or Kyle are completely satisfied with the position just yet and considering how deep the WR class is this year; I would not be surprised in the least if we take a WR at some point.

I'm not as sure. We have bodies certainly, but a lot can happen in the coming months. Moss and or Gaffney could be traded for picks. We showed interest in bringing in Royal. Hankerson is healing. We don't have much invested in Paul, Robinson. We'll see how it shakes out. I personally don't think either Mike or Kyle are completely satisfied with the position just yet and considering how deep the WR class is this year; I would not be surprised in the least if we take a WR at some point.

If Moss gets cut or traded because of something, let's say cap-related, then that's separate but I can't see Moss or Gaffney commanding anything like the kind of pick we'd need to compensate us for their impact.

If Moss gets cut or traded because of something, let's say cap-related, then that's separate but I can't see Moss or Gaffney commanding anything like the kind of pick we'd need to compensate us for their impact.

I think either could net us a 4-6 rounder. Considering the WR class, it's not out of the relm for us to land a very good WR in their place. I believe someone posted a quote from Bruce Allen stating that they will be wheeling and dealing - something to that effect. I believe it was also suggested he meant players and not solely trading down for more picks.

I tend to agree with you though regarding value of Gaffney and Moss. I'm just not convinced either are in our long term plans.

Any word on Jenkins recovery? I think this may be every bit as important as Brown's recovery in terms of impact. I liked the way our line looked at the end of last year, and I think if we had a either a more mobile QB or a more accurate one to make defenses pay for their rushes I think our running game would have looked even better. However, I thought our DL looked tired and unable to mount a rush at times late in the season. I think Jenkins, if back to pr-injury form, creates another rusher to be accounted for while allowing a better rotation of DL.

Archived