Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Greatest position corps in NFL History

thebluefood

While certain teams will live on in NFL legend, there are even more tandems on teams that are widely respected among football fans spanning generations. What are some of the greatest individual position corps in NFL History? What are some of the greatest you've seen?

One of the first that come to my mind is the duo of Jack Tatum and George Atkinson on the Oakland Raiders in the 1970s. Anyone who's seen an NFL Films production has seen at least a few of their highlights. They played a big role in making the Raiders one of the most successful teams of the decade and they were out to kill.

For a couple of years when the Cleveland Browns were THE powerhouse NFL team in the late 50s early 60s, they ran Jim Brown and Bobby Mitchell in the same backfield. Both became Hall of Famers. Another great group of running backs was the Dolphins trio of Larry Czonka, Jim Kiick, and Mercury Morris of the 70s.

Deacon Jones, Merlin Olsen, Rosey Grier, and Lamar Lundy made up the L.A. Rams' "Fearsome Foursome" in the 1960s, which Dick Butkus called the most dominant defensive line in football history.

Redskins' Charley Taylor, Bobby Mitchell, and Jerry Smith was a hell of a receiving corps for Sonny Jurgensen in the 60s. Jerry Rice, Terrell Owens, and, riding their coattails, J.J. Stokes were a pretty potent threesome at wide receiver for the 49ers in the late 90s.

I know these are weak, but you all took some of the good ones.

Man, that 98 Vikings recieveing corp with Carter, Moss, and Jake Reed was sweet.

I think you have to put either RB and/or OL from Shanahan's Broncos during that 1000 yard rushing streak.

And I will show some love to the Chargers RB of Sproles, Turner, and LT.They only played together for two years, but you can tell that all three were good talents when they were together in SD.

Not all great at the same time, but the 2000 Redskins CBs were: Deon Sanders, Darrell Green, Champ Bailey, and Fred Smoot

Thats probably 3 HoFs right there

Yeah good point. Sure Deion and DG were at the end, but they were still better than most CBs then. To think Champ was the 3rd best CB on that team is just crazy.

Steelers linebacker corps in the 70s comes to mind. The wide receiver corp for the Greatest Show on Turf was pretty good too.

Yeah those Steelers where good, but according to the NFL Network, the best LB corp off ALL TIME, was the New Orleans Saints LB corp of the early 90's, aka the Dome Patrol- Pat Swilling, Ricky Jackson, Sam Mills & Vaughn Johnson. The best part about that top 10 list was the shock,disgust and disbelief on Mark Madden's face when they told him that his precious Steelers LB was not ranked #1.

the WR for the Turf team was good, but as been said before the trio of Moss, Carter & Reed for the Vikings was the best I have ever seen from the top 3 WR on a team, but I am always partial to my Smurfs & Monk, and I will argue their standing well above where other people would place them since I don't think they got enough credit for how good they where.

While certain teams will live on in NFL legend, there are even more tandems on teams that are widely respected among football fans spanning generations. What are some of the greatest individual position corps in NFL History? What are some of the greatest you've seen?

One of the first that come to my mind is the duo of Jack Tatum and George Atkinson on the Oakland Raiders in the 1970s. Anyone who's seen an NFL Films production has seen at least a few of their highlights. They played a big role in making the Raiders one of the most successful teams of the decade and they were out to kill.

And they are two of the biggest whiners in the history of the NFL. If you watch all the top 10 series, they cry like a couple of girls (along with Phil Vilappiano) if a friggin Raider is #1 on all the lists. I'd like to pop those guys in the nose.

---------- Post added February-28th-2012 at 04:15 PM ----------

Purple People Eaters anyone? Eller, Page, Larsen and Marshall.

New York Sack exchange? Gastineau, Klecko, Lyons and Salaam.

Archived