Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The last movie you saw......GO! (After you read the OP!!!!)

I thought BR 2049 was a very good movie, but I think it was too cerebral for fans who wanted something that felt more like a typical sequel with all the same camp and chase but on a larger scale. The original cinematography was groundbreaking, so no way too top that, but telling the story from the viewpoint of a replicant charged with hunting another replicant and being forced to confront his loyalties and question his consciousness/humanity rather than the typical Hollywood fan pleasing b.s. was refreshing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
16 hours ago, Simmsy said:

I thought it was boring and it didn't grip me at all. After a while, I started to ask myself why this movie was even made. Once that happens, its pretty much over for me.

I hear you on that.  It was definitely a slow burn.  I think 2049 ran for nearly three hours LOL

Penguin Bloom was a good family movie for us. We are natural suckers for a movie about someone overcoming a medical condition. With our family of medical issues, that shouldbe no surprise. Still, the movie is genuinely good. I don't want to spoil the plot, but I will say the film is nonfiction and was shot in the real life family's home. Inspiring is the best word I have for the film.

Edited by gbear
  • Like 1

" '71 "
It is free on Amazon Prime, and is a terrific movie about a young British soldier who gets left behind after a raid goes bad in Belfast. The night he spends to get home is the story, and it is very intense. edge of the seat white knuckler the whole way through. Terrific cast, very well done.
Definitely recommended. 

71 (2014) - IMDb

~Bang

• Like 3
Spoiler

From the change from picking a wife/husband for one's children to the change from an automatic male heir to a daughter, I thought those were good plot points. Plus Lisa kicking back after years of living the upright royally proscribed life was fun and reminded Akeem why he fell in love with Lisa. The girls are great. I liked all the various stars in the show too. 

So that's my take on Coming2America.

3 hours ago, Bang said:

" '71 "
It is free on Amazon Prime, and is a terrific movie about a young British soldier who gets left behind after a raid goes bad in Belfast. The night he spends to get home is the story, and it is very intense. edge of the seat white knuckler the whole way through. Terrific cast, very well done.
Definitely recommended. 

71 (2014) - IMDb

~Bang

Kinda ruined it there, dude.  Could have left some ambiguity to make me wonder if he made it or not.  

200.gif

Edited by Spaceman Spiff
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Kinda ruined it there, dude.  Could have left some ambiguity to make me wonder if he made it or not.  

200.gif

i didn't tell you if he made it.
the story is his night. You'd assume he's trying to get home.
I mean, you know who won every war movie you ever saw, right?

~Bang

Edited by Bang
  • Haha 3
6 hours ago, Chew said:

I hear you on that.  It was definitely a slow burn.  I think 2049 ran for nearly three hours LOL

I'm willing to try it again, I've got the time.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Bang said:

i didn't tell you if he made it.
the story is his night. You'd assume he's trying to get home.
I mean, you know who won every war movie you ever saw, right?

~Bang

I know man, just like giving you **** sometimes.

• Haha 1
On 3/9/2021 at 1:44 AM, The Evil Genius said:

30+ years after though..money.

The Thomas Crown Affair, Oceans 11, The Italian Job...

Somewhat related, have you guys watched the original Italian job?  The most boring car chase scene ever made, and that’s the most memorable part of the movie.  

On 3/8/2021 at 7:09 PM, PleaseBlitz said:

Ghostbusters with Kate McKinnon?

More of a remake than a sequel. 

That ghost busters movie was awful.  They wasted a great cast.

On 3/8/2021 at 6:26 AM, Spaceman Spiff said:

I couldn't make it past 10 minutes.  I kind of want to try again because I love the original and I love Eddie Murphy but I just wasn't feeling it.

It was bad, but I watched all of it out of an unwillingness to let go of my nostalgia.  It had some funny lines but it tried too hard to revisit up the first one.  The actual plot in this one feels like an after thought.

2 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I know man, just like giving you **** sometimes.

lol, i know. we old timers can throw it around a bit I figure 😃

Still, good movie.

~Bang

• Like 1
On 3/10/2021 at 1:07 PM, Simmsy said:

I'm willing to try it again, I've got the time.

Do it!  You'll be glad you did.  At least, I hope you will LOL.  

Also, "I don't know who needs to hear this," but:

FB_IMG_1615824672806.jpg.f93b7d5f4d8ecccae38a5126415cb582.jpg

• Like 2

The Sound of Metal - Surprisingly good movie to pick on a Monday night, free with Amazon. Story about a dude in a rock band that starts to lose his hearing and how he copes with it. It’s a pretty unusual movie, it’s definitely worth the watch 

1 hour ago, max21 said:

The Sound of Metal - Surprisingly good movie to pick on a Monday night, free with Amazon. Story about a dude in a rock band that starts to lose his hearing and how he copes with it. It’s a pretty unusual movie, it’s definitely worth the watch 

I think it's up for Best Picture, right?

8 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Yeah looks like it is, I’ve never heard of the movie until I saw it as a suggestion on Amazon yesterday. It’s a good movie 

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Six Oscar noms total, to include three big boys:  Best Picture, Best Actor, Best Supporting Actor :headbang:

Riz is on well on his way to superstardom, though he's pretty much already there at this point. Well deserved.  

• Like 1

I finally sat down to rewatch an old classic, the Black Stallion. It's a simple movie, but it did a wonderful job showcasing the scenery and a blossoming relationship with hardly a word spoken in half an hour of film time.

• Like 2

I'm in the middle of watching The Empty Man right now...it's a rather effective horror movie that has its horror rooted in--I guess I'd say in the casual realism. The trailer makes it seem like it's just another "Candyman" rip off but it's shot REALLY well, has a number of haunting scenes that stick with you, and I don't think it's had any jump scares yet, minus one scene that did effectively move the Fear meter needle way to the right with its suddenness.

The third act may end up biting donkey testicles, though, and flush the tension built up right down the toilet lol...

Here's the trailer...you an see how it comes across as another generic "Say his name 3 times while looking into a mirror and standing on your left foot" Boogeyman film. Which, I guess it is lol...but it's one done far better than I expected...at least so far.

Edited by Califan007
Misspelled "jump" as "mump"...d'oh!
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Califan007 said:

The third act may end up biting donkey testicles, though, and flush the tension built up right down the toilet lol...

Didn't bite donkey testicles but wasn't as good as the build-up...lots of convenient stuff to move the plot along that (I think) the movie tries to explain at the end but--if so--does a lazy job of it. Overall it was...eh, it was alright, I guess.