renaissance

The last movie you saw......GO! (After you read the OP!!!!)

19 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

What'd you expect?  :ols:

I also expected I couldn't read a few pages of Rotten Tomatoes reviews of the new Rambo movie without seeing a reviewer mention Trump somehow and I wasn't disappointed.  Matter of fact I think it was the 2nd or 3rd review.

I usually go by audience score anyway...and ever since the reviewers have trashed Chappelle's new special I feel like my decision to do so has been confirmed.  I am a man of the people, after all.  

This is fair but Chappelle has been a comedic super-genius for 20 years running while Sly has been cranking out drivel like Expendables 3.

Sometimes played out really is just played out.

We’ll always have Burma...

Edited by TryTheBeal!

1 hour ago, TryTheBeal! said:

This is fair but Chappelle has been a comedic super-genius for 20 years running while Sly has been cranking out drivel like Expendables 3.

Sometimes played out really is just played out.

We’ll always have Burma...

It is drivel, but it's not pretending to be high art or anything.  The thing about the Expendables movies is that they don't take themselves seriously and know exactly where they are.  Sometimes McDonald's tastes good.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Chew said:

Wow, really sucks hearing this.

My movie fanatic friends and I were talking in our chat the other day, 2019 has been yet another really disappointing year for Hollywood.  

I was hoping Ad Astra might somewhat salvage this otherwise trash year....nope.  :(

I keep scrolling through the 2015 movies and there were so many bangers.  Easily the best year for movies of the 21st century.  The last four years have been ass compared to it.  

Oh well, bring on 2020. 

Some people really liked it, I didn't.  

7 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

New Rambo has terrible reviews.

Not surprised, really.  The whole “Mexican druglord bad guy” thing feels awfully played out.  

I’d rather watch him shoot up the halls of Purdue Pharma.

I saw that today.  The Mexican druglord thing, has been used to death.  Still, the part of the movie I did enjoy was when Rambo got his revenge against said druglords. About the only real good thing about the movie.  It was slow for over half the movie.  So, I'll give Rambo: Last Blood a C+.

12 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

As a sci-fi and space nerd, I appreciated what they tried to do.  At best I can give it a B despite really liking the story telling format

Hide contents

I did not like the emphasis on rockets from the surface over reusable spaceplanes, an attempt at being plausible but in the earth takeoff it looked like part of the rocket was non reusable, inexcusable 

I loved the emphasis on what total commitment to a profession that comes with insane levels of isolation can do to people

A hated the lack of explanation of the earth radio tower, the moon base looked like 1G, the space pirate logic sounded stupid, the antimatter core of Lima causing what sounds like an EMP particle wave when one that strong should've melted the cable wires like a solar storm or why the antimatter was causing that, and theres no way taking a metal shield would protect him flying through a ring system, rocks fly too fast for that to protect him

It was still awesome seeing red camos on Mars, that even Norway had their own space station, it was an attempt to be plausible in what early multi-multi-planet would look like, and Tommy Lee not finding any intelligent life was very thought provoking despite not making it out the heliosphere to get the results they need to confirm his fear we were actually alone (and taking pictures of planets with no obvious signs of liquid water hinted that our process for finding those is not perfect, or me trying to give them benefit of the doubt)

The easy answer Navy jus confirmed UFOs and theres too many stars to say none of them have intelligent life when any detection process relies on evidence moving at the speed of light when some systems are thousands, millions or billions of lightyears away.  The signal we are looking for could've already came and went, but we missed it because dinasours didnt have radio yet

The point they should've made was the universe is old so there couldve been intelligent life that came and went making the same mistakes we did and civilizations probably come and go with no idea who to warn of their mistakes so other ones dont make them.  Or the more obvious, they dont want to be found yet, which theres really nothing we can do about and maybe we should take a hint and do the same

Its eye popcorn candy, but not enough explanation for the non space nerd to keep up on the points they are trying to make.  The only reason I care is because the ending made a very important point that a lot of people wont get

I have no idea why you even worried about those details lol. 

What was the very important point to the movie at the end that you think people won’t get.  

I really liked it but I’m a sucker for thought provoking sci-fi 

Spoiler

To me the movie was about asking the question what is the point of life? 

TLJ is obsessed with finding intelligent life to the point that he has isolated himself and neglected his family, never even caring for them at all. As BP tells him, its just us. There is no other life. And that’s a beautiful thing. Life is what we make it. The connections we make. BP realizes this himself at the end and tries to reconcile with his wife now that he has closure on his dad and can move on.

i think it’s also about coming to grips with the flaws of our fathers or parents in general. As children we often see them as heroes in our lives. As we get older we learn of their flaws see them differently and try to be better than them. BP has an almost stunted development caused by his father and the impact he left on BP. He followed in his profession and image only to find out his dad was murdering lunatic. Coming to terms with that and letting his dad go was the only thing that allows him to actually move on. 

6 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I have no idea why you even worried about those details lol. 

What was the very important point to the movie at the end that you think people won’t get.  

I really liked it but I’m a sucker for thought provoking sci-fi 

Hide contents

To me the movie was about asking the question what is the point of life? 

TLJ is obsessed with finding intelligent life to the point that he has isolated himself and neglected his family, never even caring for them at all. As BP tells him, its just us. There is no other life. And that’s a beautiful thing. Life is what we make it. The connections we make. BP realizes this himself at the end and tries to reconcile with his wife now that he has closure on his dad and can move on.

i think it’s also about coming to grips with the flaws of our fathers or parents in general. As children we often see them as heroes in our lives. As we get older we learn of their flaws see them differently and try to be better than them. BP has an almost stunted development caused by his father and the impact he left on BP. He followed in his profession and image only to find out his dad was murdering lunatic. Coming to terms with that and letting his dad go was the only thing that allows him to actually move on. 

That is an important point, but not the only one, and enhanced by the other points i made that a lot people wont get.  A common theme of science fiction is putting the ramifications of science in our lives in a way so that we do think about it. So lets try to bring this full circle

Spoiler

TLJ was terrified of ramifications on human civilization if he came back and said the evidence points to us being alone. Us proving we were alone would be just as consequential as proving that we werent, maybe even more so. 

But the point BP made was "ok, if its that hard to find life then that amplifies the importance of life we do have".  Thats bigger then just his relationship with his dad or his ex.  The point shouldnt be theres no other intelligent life out there so this one is very important, its that its even rarer then we realized and the implications as to why and what to do from there.

The fact TLJ didnt make it out the heliosphere taints his results, but he and his crew panicked because they couldnt prove intelligent life while admiting earlier in the movie they had to get out the heliosphere to get the best results possible.  Thats an extremely important point in saying we cant find intelligent life because the truth now is even SETI will admit we are probably going about finding them the wrong way and thats why we havent found them yet. 

Science is predicated on what we can prove in the moment while leaving room for someone to say we are wrong in the future.  Quantum Mechanics freaked out Einstein and now theres debate whether gravity as we understand it in the scientific community is real, let alone accurate. 

Science has to be careful with what it presents as indisuptible facts, that what his dad finally lost his mind over and sacrificed his relationship with his son over. The individual human element was a micro point, the human civilization element was a marco point, both equally relevant and example of science fiction at its best.  Its how you tie them together.  This was so much bigger then a daddy issues movie in space, this coulda been a cop movie, but they put it in space.

Edited by Renegade7

Got around to seeing IT Chapter 2.  Not as good as the first movie.  A little too long, but the acting was great and I thought it captured the heart of the novel.  I think they should have focused more on the adults and done less of the flashbacks to them as kids.  Apparently they're going to release a 4hr cut which I'd be interested to see.  

I'll probably check out Rambo soon.  I feel like if you're a Rambo fan you're gonna like it regardless of the critics reviews.  I love those movies.  

7 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

That is an important point, but not the only one, and enhanced by the other points i made that a lot people wont get.  A common theme of science fiction is putting the ramifications of science in our lives in a way so that we do think about it. So lets try to bring this full circle

Hide contents

TLJ was terrified of ramifications on human civilization if he came back and said the evidence points to us being alone. Us proving we were alone would be just as consequential as proving that we werent, maybe even more so. 

But the point BP made was "ok, if its that hard to find life then that amplifies the importance of life we do have".  Thats bigger then just his relationship with his dad or his ex.  The point shouldnt be theres no other intelligent life out there so this one is very important, its that its even rarer then we realized and the implications as to why and what to do from there.

The fact TLJ didnt make it out the heliosphere taints his results, but he and his crew panicked because they couldnt prove intelligent life while admiting earlier in the movie they had to get out the heliosphere to get the best results possible.  Thats an extremely important point in saying we cant find intelligent life because the truth now is even SETI will admit we are probably going about finding them the wrong way and thats why we havent found them yet. 

Science is predicated on what we can prove in the moment while leaving room for someone to say we are wrong in the future.  Quantum Mechanics freaked out Einstein and now theres debate whether gravity as we understand it in the scientific community is real, let alone accurate. 

Science has to be careful with what it presents as indisuptible facts, that what his dad finally lost his mind over and sacrificed his relationship with his son over. The individual human element was a micro point, the human civilization element was a marco point, both equally relevant and example of science fiction at its best.  Its how you tie them together.  This was so much bigger then a daddy issues movie in space, this coulda been a cop movie, but they put it in space.

Thats a lot to take in. Where did it even mention the heliosphere and their location within it? I don’t think it was ever confirmed by BP or TLJ aside from their stated goals at the beginning. 

Also, 

Spoiler

It seems like a really deep reading of the movie going into the results being tainted. I never even saw where that was implied much less a motive attached to TLJ due to it. 

We don’t know the crew lost it because they couldn’t find intelligent life. It’s just as likely they lost it from extended isolation from society as we saw start to happen to BP on the journey our there. 

As far as: 

"ok, if its that hard to find life then that amplifies the importance of life we do have".  Thats bigger then just his relationship with his dad or his ex.  The point shouldnt be theres no other intelligent life out there so this one is very important, its that its even rarer then we realized and the implications as to why and what to do from there.

that essentially seems like two ways to say the same thing. To me, the movie never got into why we are alone or what to do next. It was a lot more straight forward in its intent.   

37 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Thats a lot to take in. Where did it even mention the heliosphere and their location within it? I don’t think it was ever confirmed by BP or TLJ aside from their stated goals at the beginning. 

Also, 

Hide contents

It seems like a really deep reading of the movie going into the results being tainted. I never even saw where that was implied much less a motive attached to TLJ due to it. 

We don’t know the crew lost it because they couldn’t find intelligent life. It’s just as likely they lost it from extended isolation from society as we saw start to happen to BP on the journey our there. 

As far as: 

"ok, if its that hard to find life then that amplifies the importance of life we do have".  Thats bigger then just his relationship with his dad or his ex.  The point shouldnt be theres no other intelligent life out there so this one is very important, its that its even rarer then we realized and the implications as to why and what to do from there.

that essentially seems like two ways to say the same thing. To me, the movie never got into why we are alone or what to do next. It was a lot more straight forward in its intent.   

: ) I'd recommend watching it again, I think about stuff like this all the time, so ya, I analyzed the hell out of it admittedly 

Spoiler

It's not mentioned in the wiki page. Ut see it some reviews, the goal was to get out the heliosphere

https://www.austinchronicle.com/events/film/2019-09-20/ad-astra/

Major Roy McBride (Pitt) carries a weight. He's a second-generation astronaut, the son of the legendary Clifford McBride (Jones), but the age of exploration is gone. Daddy disappeared on a mission to Pluto, an attempt to find traces of life beyond the electrostatic clutter of the inner heliosphere, 

And the reason the crew wanted to leave was because they gave up, TLJ wouldnt turn the ship around, so they mutinied and he killed them all to complete the mission but ship got damaged in the process. 

I believe theres some truth to the isolation being a factor, but TLJ made clear why they turned on him and why he killed them in the clip the girl on Mars showed BP.

My guess was they started looking before they got to Pluto because solar radiation does start to dissipate by time you get to Neptune, I recommend looking into what the heliosphere is, it was inferred that everyone knows what that is most people dont, unfair assumption on the movies part (it's the extent of the solar wind smacking against interstellar cosmic rays)

I think it's fair to say that the story decided to focus on BP's perspective, especially given it was a first person account.  It was still a mistake to insinuate that we are alone because our limited technology on a failed mission couldnt prove it, especially in today's climate of challenging science for the sake of challenging science.  TLJ understood this but it was never expanded on

Edited by Renegade7

In addition to seeing the Joker - A-, I saw the kid flick  Abominable this past weekend. That movie gets an A- also.  A little different cartoon flick that I enjoyed. 

• Like 1

Last movie I saw in theaters was Once Upon a Time In Hollywood.  A bit long winded, it drags a bit early on, but very bad ass last 45 minutes.  Masterpiece.

Want to see Joker this weekend.  Some Taxi Driver vibes I’m getting..

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 9/23/2019 at 12:25 PM, drowland said:

Got around to seeing IT Chapter 2.  Not as good as the first movie.  A little too long, but the acting was great and I thought it captured the heart of the novel.  I think they should have focused more on the adults and done less of the flashbacks to them as kids.  Apparently they're going to release a 4hr cut which I'd be interested to see.  

I'll probably check out Rambo soon.  I feel like if you're a Rambo fan you're gonna like it regardless of the critics reviews.  I love those movies.  

The first remake of IT was really bad as a horror flick.  As a comedy I'd give it like a B.  It was pretty damn funny.  But it was not scary AT ALL.  They completely ruined Penny Wise by trying to make him look like some evil clown.  The original one was so much freakier.

I watched a couple movies this past weekend.

Aladdin (2019) - 9/10 - REALLY surprised by this movie.  I thought it was going to be really bad but damn I really enjoyed it.  It stayed really true to the original movie and the acting/sets/effects were phenomenal.  The songs were also very good and casting was perfect.  I highly recommend it.  I saw the Lion King this year too and this movie is much better.

Childs Play (2019) - 6/10 - I expected this to suck and it didn't disappoint.  It has some funny parts in it though.  It's not tied into any of the old movies though and is like a reboot.  it's just so over the top and the doll is battery powered, and the whole time I am just wondering why they don't just turn it off lol.  I also had no clue Mark Hamil did his voice until looking at IMDB right now.

John Wick 3 - 7/10 - this movie was alright.  The opening to it was awesome and non stop for the first 30 or so minutes.  But then it just kinda got a bit slow, and I also feel that it dragged on too long.  It was like 2 hours and I think if it was like 90 minutes it would have been better.  I liked it better than part 2 but not as much as part 1.  There are some really cool action scenes though.

Edited by purbeast
  • Like 2

Joker: 9/10. Amazing movie albeit starts a little slow. Joaquin Phoenix should win an Oscar.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Joker: 9/10. Amazing movie albeit starts a little slow. Joaquin Phoenix should win an Oscar.

The end of the movie though was totally worth it. I think there will be a few Oscars from this one.

Posted (edited)

Joker was outstanding. Less anything to do with the Joker character and more a character study of mental illness and a commentary on how society (and the wealthy) marginalizes people. There are those that slip through the cracks and never find the help they need and this movie chooses to examine what happens to one of them. 

It felt like Taxi Driver in a lot of ways with the grittiness and setting and character. The payoff in the final act is incredible. Joaquin Phoenix was amazing and should get an Oscar for it 

its not really funny or even fun. It’s dark and serious. But it’s really entertaining, you can’t take your eyes off the screen. 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Joker was outstanding. Less anything to do with the Joker character and more a character study of mental illness and a commentary on how society (and the wealthy) marginalizes people. There are those that slip through the cracks and never find the help they need and this movie chooses to examine what happens to one of them. 

It felt like Taxi Driver in a lot of ways with the grittiness and setting and character. The payoff in the final act is incredible. Joaquin Phoenix was amazing and should get an Oscar for it 

its not really funny or even fun. It’s dark and serious. But it’s really entertaining, you can’t take your eyes off the screen. 

Did you catch all the little subtle references to Batman/Joker of other media? There was actually quite a few.

And yes agree on your point about mental illness. Basically, society screwed him over, so he's going to screw society over by bringing out the worst in people. That's always been Joker's calling card. He doesn't have super powers and he's not particularly strong or physically capable/well trained. He's just crazy and knows how to inspire the worst in his followers.

On 9/12/2019 at 10:14 AM, Spaceman Spiff said:

Framing John DeLorean.  A from me.

The trailer gave me some pause.  It's a weird concept, it's part documentary, part drama, part behind the scenes of making a movie.  I didn't think it would work.

But it does.  Basically, Alec Baldwin is playing John DeLorean and is filming scenes that are part of DeLorean's story that are interspersed throughout a documentary on his rise and fall.  So if there's a scene that they're talking about something but no news footage of it exists, it's played by Baldwin.  Meanwhile, you're also getting interviews with Baldwin and the other actors who are explaining their thoughts on DeLorean, what these scenes mean to them and the story. 

It's got a lot of interviews with DeLoreans co-workers, people that helped him start the company...but there are heartbreaking interviews with his daughter and his son.  The son seems to be a bitter and jaded, yet in the end admits that he understands why his dad did what he did.  The daughter came to grips with everything by running towards the DeLorean fan community, bringing her dad to car events to show him how much people still cared about him.  Also, I thought the cocaine bust was the only thing he did but it wasn't.  

If you like the 80s, maverick type dudes who invent cool stuff, stories about cocaine, FBI agents and scandals, this is a great film.  

Thanks for the recommendation. It was a very good documentary. I'd give it a B+ -- a little too depressing for my taste. But very interesting nonetheless.

The one thing that bothered me was how Delorean was acquitted of the cocaine charges. I understand that this Hoffman guy (who was perhaps one of the vilest humans beings on the planet) went out of his way to entrap Delorean, fully aware of Delorean's financial troubles and trying to take advantage of them. But agreeing to a cocaine trade is agreeing to a cocaine trade. Delorean always could have said "No", and tried to raise his needed $17 million in another fashion. Very strange to me.

But still a good doc.

Toy Story 4: B+. IMO the weakest of the 4 films in the franchise, but its still Toy Story so its almost great by default. On the pro side are the spectacular visuals, fun new characters like Duke Kaboom and the new street wise Bo Peep. On the con side, the way they handled the villain, so terrible. She started out with SO much promise, could have been the best villain in the entire franchise. And then they have her switch allegiances by the middle of the movie? Aaaargh! If they had kept her the villain the whole way through, this might have been an A+ movie, because the rest of it is incredible. Shame.  

Joker movie was very good.  I thought the score was sensational.  Really helped drive the tension and at one point I think I heard a little of Hans Zimmer's Joker theme from Dark Knight which was really cool.  Not a feel good movie, but yet re-watchable.  It's one of those movies you could watch multiple times and each time pick up on something new because of all the subtle moments and references it has.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mournblade said:

But agreeing to a cocaine trade is agreeing to a cocaine trade. Delorean always could have said "No", and tried to raise his needed $17 million in another fashion. Very strange to me.

Agreed, 100%.  Yeah, the way they got there was fishy for sure but...he still agreed to it.  

• Like 1

Joker 9/10.  Fantastic movie.  Joaquin Phoenix should win an Oscar for his performance.  Never thought I’d rank a Joker performance right next to Heath Ledger but Phoenix was just that good.

6AD42FA3-06A1-430A-BAD9-C5D6CF740750.jpeg

Edited by -JB-

El Camino was very underwhelming.  I could have done without that movie ever being made.  It was just a bit fat "meh".  It felt like an extended episode but one of those slower/boring episodes.  It felt like it was basically just fan service.  Not going to get into details, but they tried way too hard to make a Jesse scene similar to Walt's big bang scene.  If you are a BB fan of course you will watch it so I'm not going to say skip it, and if you aren't a BB fan you probably won't have any interest anyways.

• Thanks 1

The Addams Family - nice take on the classic TV show.  Wednesday was the highlight. A perfect cartoon for the Halloween season.  I'll give the movie a solid B+.

Gemini Man-  I like the movie.  Cool seeing Old Will fighting Young Will.  I'll give the movie a B-.

I loved El Camino. It felt like a perfect epilogue to the BB series and ties up the only loose end the series left: what happens to Jesse. 

It doesn't go over the top either by trying to escalate things from where they were at the end of the series. It’s a measured, rationale conclusion to Jesse’s story.

now the series ending was great enough on its own but El Camino spends time telling us more about Jesse that I am

happy we were given. Not only where he’s been but where he’s going and his mindset thru all of that. It’s a good mixture of pacing between BB with Better Call Saul. 

A great swan song goodbye to the characters and story now that the ending of the series has had several years to breathe. It’s excellent filmmaking too, some of the shots are just classic BB which just made me realize how much I missed this show, Gilligan, the cast and the world. 

Spoiler

Aaron Paul is amazing. He shows a ton of range here playing physically and mentally abused Jesse all the way back to season 1 era Jesse in a flashback. Everything he does in this movie is spot on. 

The flashbacks were fantastic too. How each flashback informs us of Jesse’s state of mind or his future was really well done.

I was so happy to see flashbacks with Jane, Todd, Mike and especially Walt all coming back for this. What a surprise and a treat 

• Like 1

I saw Zombieland 2: Double Tap.  I don't remember the original but the movie was pretty good save for the annoying blonde chick.  Does have a couple of bonus scenes. Actually first one, is pretty long. I'll give the movie a solid B.  I also saw  Maleficent: Mistress of Evil.  It gets a B-.  It sort of goes all over the place, but I liked it.  Michelle Pfeiffer was  deliciously evil.