renaissance

The last movie you saw......GO! (After you read the OP!!!!)

Posted (edited)

Recently saw the zombie flick, "The Dead Don't Die" with Adam Driver and Bill Murray. I'll give it a C.  It was just o.k.  IT moved to slow for a zombie flick for me.

Saw Spiderman: Far From Home this evening.  It was okay, though I found the villain Mysterio a little disappointing. There's 2 after credit scenes.  Movie gets a B-.

Spoiler

Holy ****. Mysterio got his revenge in the 1st after credits scene.   It will be interesting how they resolve that in the next movie.

Edited by Rdskns2000
  • Like 1

On 7/1/2019 at 10:11 PM, Destino said:

Just watched this Robin Hood movie from 2018 that popped up on hbo.  Holy crap this is bad.  So bad I started wondering if mtv made it.  On the bad scale that’s down towards the transformers end of the scale.  Semi auto cross bows with arrow magazines... hahaha so bad.  

This movie plays like someone wanted to make a different movie, and then thought “wait, what if we also made it Robin Hood”.   Reminds me of King Arthur Legend of the sword.  Those people clearly wanted to make a heist movie about a talented crew of thieves, along with some contrived political point, and just superimposed the King Arthur characters over it.  Robin Hood is more of the same.

Whoever it is that keeps ruining these old stories needs to be loaded into a canon and fired into the side of a mountain before they can do any more harm. 

I thought that movie was surprisingly badass.  I liked it a lot more than I expected.  It was just fun and entertaining, although a bit silly in parts.

I agree 100% though that it should NOT have been named Robin Hood and clearly was written before it was decided to be Robin Hood.  Had it been just some other random movie with different character names, I think it would have been better received.  Your comparison to King Arthur was spot on.

On 7/1/2019 at 10:11 PM, Destino said:

Whoever it is that keeps ruining these old stories needs to be loaded into a canon and fired into the side of a mountain before they can do any more harm

I refuse to see that travesty.  I agree with you 100%. The Robin Hood and Arthurian tales are beloved to me and it pissed me off when film makers and tv shows with zero respect for the source material just destroy them.

Although I make an exception for Prince of Thieves because it got us Men in Tights.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The Founder: A+. Micheal Keaton is one of those rare actors who just never loses it. He could be 90 and could still suck you into his performance

(yeah we'll see how great your millenial heros Tom Holland and Jacob Batalon are when they get to Keaton's age). Anyway, Keaton plays Ray Croc,

the man who took the McDonalds fast food idea national and became a mutli-millionaire as a result. Its a story that show that the winners of free

market capitalism aren't always the best, the bright and the most innovative (in this case, the McDonalds brothers) but rather the sneakiest, the most

cunning and the most ruthless (Ray Croc). Everyone is fantastic in this movie, even Laura Dern playing Croc's bewildered wife. Absolute must see. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mournblade said:

The Founder: A+. Micheal Keaton is one of those rare actors who just never loses it. He could be 90 and could still suck you into his performance

(yeah we'll see how great your millenial heros Tom Holland and Jacob Batalon are when they get to Keaton's age). Anyway, Keaton plays Ray Croc,

the man who took the McDonalds fast food idea national and became a mutli-millionaire as a result. Its a story that show that the winners of free

market capitalism aren't always the best, the bright and the most innovative (in this case, the McDonalds brothers) but rather the sneakiest, the most

cunning and the most ruthless (Ray Croc). Everyone is fantastic in this movie, even Laura Dern playing Croc's bewildered wife. Absolute must see. 

Spoiler

In the end where he's like... "It's the name...it sounds like America...would you eat at a place named Croc's?  It's got that Slavic sound.. I remember when I saw that name, I knew I had to have it...."

Not sure if that conversation ever actually took place but...that whole scene is chilling.  It is a great movie.

• Like 2

Watched Fifth Element with Bae, glad I finally found someone that likes it as much as I do, weird how many haters there are on that movie.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Watched Fifth Element with Bae, glad I finally found someone that likes it as much as I do, weird how many haters there are on that movie.

Fifth Element is godly.  And it only gets better with age.

Art for art’s sake.

• Like 2

Spider Man: Far From Home. 8.5/10, thoroughly enjoyable movie, although I feel like the first half dragged a little bit.

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Art for art’s sake.

Amen.  The fifth element is LOVE?!  Jesus, the feels. :wub::(

And under all the epic sci-fi action and laughs, Besson quietly reminded us that we (humans) are TRASH.  

Edited by Chew
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

First time I ever ate mushrooms I went to see this in the theater. 

We were blown away when we found out that Debo was president. 🤣

• Haha 6

On 7/6/2019 at 1:03 AM, Renegade7 said:

People hate Fifth Element?!  That's nuts.  I've watched it twice recently, and while many old movies grow embarrassingly bad with time, 5th element does not.  it stays great and anyone that says otherwise is a joyless husk. 

Switching gears:  I saw the latest Hellboy movie.  Spoiler: it's bad.  If you're wondering what kind of bad, think back, way back, to the last time someone read you a story.  Now replace that person with a crazy looking metal head.  Give that person cocaine, and keep it coming.  Turn on some loud music.  Loud like standing near the speaker at the club.  Add some flashing lights.  Now have this coked out lunatic scream the story at you while running in circles around you.  Never really slowing, never quieting down, just modulating slightly so that some parts are just a bit more frantic than others.  That's the latest Hellboy. 

• Haha 5

Watched The Old Man & the Gun on HBO Now. It was great, of course, I really like Robert Redford. It's about an old guy who just can't give up robbing banks. The story is pretty simple and doesn't have tons of surprises, but that's ok. It still gets an A from me.

• Like 1

Soooo...I watched The Perfection last night.

That movie is the very definition of “extra”.  They really went for it and I appreciate the effort.

A solid B/B+ if you like it weird.

• Like 2

Saw this on the interwebs today and it made me laugh.

”Major plot hole in Three Amigos: When Dusty kills the Invisible Swordsman (who they summon by the Singing Bush) - how would they know that following the German Mail Plane would lead them to El Guapo’s hideout? Hmmm?!?”

• Like 1

"Yesterday"-  The premise is where this guy is only one who remembers the Beatles existed. So, he has launches a career with their songs.  I enjoyed the movie. It gets a A. 

Saw "Stuber" and it was really bad.  A waste of your time.  Not even worth a DVD watch.  Gets an F.

I’m watching a movie called, “the commuter”, it’s abysmal.

On 7/9/2019 at 5:41 PM, Fan since a Fetus said:

Watched The Old Man & the Gun on HBO Now. It was great, of course, I really like Robert Redford. It's about an old guy who just can't give up robbing banks. The story is pretty simple and doesn't have tons of surprises, but that's ok. It still gets an A from me.

I attempted to watch that but it was brutal so I let it go about 45 minutes in.

39 minutes ago, volsmet said:

That's about 35 minutes longer than I lasted.  I decided to go work out after the scene in the diner about 10 minutes into the movie. 

4 hours ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

I finally saw the Han Solo movie.

I really liked it.

One of the above sentences is a lie.

My eyes threatened to roll out of my skull when the big bad guy removes the big bad guy helmet and you find out it's really a little girl that wants to save universe.

• Like 1

I just watched this movie called Point Blank on Netflix.  It's a Netflix original movie and I liked Triple Frontier, The Highwaymen and The Dirt so I figured I'd give this a shot.  It's got Anthony Mackie, who I like.

It's bad.  It's a bad movie.  There's some fun stuff but it's a C-.  Watching it, I realized there's a delicate art to making a bad movie that people still enjoy.  Basically this guy who's a nurse has to team up with a bad guy who's in the hospital in order to save his wife who's about to have her baby.  All the while there's some police corruption going on and the bad guy is out to expose the cops.  Having two guys who are polar opposites needing to team up is just so overplayed and unoriginal.  That said, I think it can be done well, but it's not done well here.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Captain Marvel: C+. Brie Larson is very "easy on the eyes". Other than that...yawn. I'm beginning to realize that Marvel "core movies" (Avengers, Cap, Ironman) tend to be good, while Marvel "anthology movies" (Thor, Panther, Antman) will be universally terrible. Which bodes badly for Marvel's so called "Phase 4". 

Edited by Mournblade

On 7/14/2019 at 1:57 AM, volsmet said:

Oh man, that movie was bad.  It was a wannabe Liam Neeson movie that somehow managed to get Liam Neeson.  Even he couldn't save the terrible writing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/14/2019 at 12:57 AM, volsmet said:

Haha, it's definitely a slower  movie. Sorry you wasted your time 

Also, if that's the commuter with Liam Neeson, I liked that as well. I think it's one of his better action movies 

Edited by Fan since a Fetus
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1