Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The last movie you saw......GO! (After you read the OP!!!!)

renaissance

6 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I liked Creed II.  The thing about all the Rocky/Creed movies is...you know what's going to happen.  There are no secrets.  

We’ve discussed Creed 2 on here before, but after watching the original Rocky I have a new take on this.

Creed checked all the story boxes but it had no scope. The fight in Rocky felt like the most important sporting event in history. The world was gonna watch.

The fights in Creed felt like a Thursday night undercard on ESPN2.

• Haha 1

Cat on a Hot Tin Roof - (1958, Richard Brooks)

An adaptation of the fiery Tennessee Williams play, Brooks' adaptation is a real scorcher.  For those unfamiliar with the play, Paul Newman plays a drunken ex-football player who takes his seductive wife (Elizabeth Taylor) home to see his family.  His father is a Memphis tycoon, played by the incomparable Burl Ives (Oscar win).  

I love this film.  Is it a little over the top at times?  Yes.  Do I care?  No.  I could watch a young Newman and Taylor go round and round all day.  Dirty secrets.  Flawed characters.  Nobody holds back, as they tear each other apart.  They hit hard, fast, and deep.  Nobody escapes unscathed.  

This feels like a southern version of Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf, which is also a favorite of mine.  I really miss the days when Hollywood wrote these types of characters.  Six nominations, including Best Picture and nods for both Newman and Taylor.  Easily some of their best work.  A true classic. (4/4)

How to Train Your Dragon Part III

Visually beautiful. The landscapes, the armor, the dragon biology were just beautifully rendered. The story was fine. It wasn't quite funny enough or dramatic enough or exciting enough, but it was okay. The craft that went into that movie, the dragon scales and luminescence, mountains, water, etc. Gorgeous. 

• Like 1

I watched A Star is Born Friday night and thought it sucked big time.  There was so much stuff in the story that just made no sense at all.  Bradley Cooper's singing was overrated and not nearly as good as everyone made it out to be, and his acting was just mediocre i the movie, and I'm a fan of his.  He's definitely had better movies.  I'm the opposite and can see why he did NOT win any Oscars for the movie.  Lady Gaga stole the show though and I was shocked at how well she could act.

I watched Free Solo last night on Nat Geo and wouldn't have even known about it if it weren't for the Junkies, and damn that was an awesome documentary.  That dude is insane.  There is some great camera work and scenery in the movie.  Definitely worth a watch if you like documentaries and have any interest in watching a dude climb 3000 feet with no harness and ropes.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

A Star is Born (2018).

Wow. I can see why it got the Oscar noms. Cooper slayed that role and Lady Gaga was stunning.

Yep, just watched this last night.  Pretty dang good movie.  The acting was top notch by the leads.  My man Dice Clay with the appearance :headbang:

Can You Ever Forgive Me - Depressing af and first time McCarthy wasn't being funny.  Loved it, she should consider serious roles/films more often.  Richard Grant was solid as well. 

Green Book - Pretty good.  Not to say it was overhyped, but all the Oscar hoopla had me expecting to be blown away.  It was entertaining, Ali & Viggo had great chemistry.  There wasn't a whole lot to the story, which I get because the plot wasn't the main focus, but still. 

• Like 1

I caught Skyscraper on HBO on Saturday. 

Eh, the movie was dumb, but whatever.  Not really even worth reviewing.  My main takeaway is the Rock is so massive, he almost has to be in peril from the environment around him rather than an actual person.  In this case, the building falling down, fire, stuff like that.  Or the deck has to be stacked against him in some way to make a fight believable.  

• Haha 3

Amadeus: A+. One of the best movies ever made. F Murray Abraham in an acting tour de force as Mozart's seething rival Antonio Salieri.

Tom Hulce is wild and brillant in the lead role. Try to get the Theatrical Version, which is vastly better than the Director's Cut. 

Good Night and Good Luck: B+. Short, crisp B&W movie looking at the career of Edward Murrow and his run-in with firebrand Senator Joe McCarthy.

Liked that it was short and too the point. And also that it has an Avenger in it!

Edited by Mournblade

Recently seen:

1.  How To Train Your Dragon 3: The Hidden World - Gets a B-.  A good ending for the trilogy.  It did feel a litttle long to me, though don't know why. Kids probably like it more though.

2.  Happy Death Day 2U - Gets a B-.  It was alright,not as good as the first one.  There's a bonus scene in the credits that 

Spoiler

sets up a potential sequel.  Movie flopped at the box office, so unlikely sequel gets made.

3.  Alita: Battle Angel - Gets a B+.  I really enjoyed this movie.  It's a litter different than the usual fare.  I hope it does well to earn a sequel, I want to see the rest of the story. It's made most of it's money overseas; so will see.

• Like 1

Isn't It Romantic- Rebel Wilson joint.  It was okay. Laughed out loud a few times.  

Ben is Back - loved it.  most depressing movie I've seen in probably a year.  Films about addiction always hit me hard.  I knew is was a drama about Julia Roberts' drug addict son, mut I had no idea it was also a suspense thriller about the underground drug world in the NYC suburbs.  Roberts and Hedges were so good together on screen.  We have to do something about the drug problem in this country. :(

Edited by Chew

Serenity featuring Matthew Mc Conaughey. He plays a fisherman obsessed with a huge tuna fish ala Moby Dick. He's also having sex with a rich woman in order to pay for his gas and baits. His ex-wife asks him to save her and her son from her new violent husband, asking him to take him on a fishing trip to feed him to the sharks.

MMC plays great as usually but the screenplay lacks mystery and "punch".

• Like 1

Captain Marvel 

I enjoyed it.  I'm all in on the MCU, so perhaps I'm predisposed to cut it slack, but I thought it was fine.  Probably a middle MCU movie, not up with the best, not down with the lesser ones.  

Ben Mendelsohn is almost always good, and he was the good in this as well.  

https://www.vox.com/culture/2019/3/18/18271038/netflix-cannes-2019-fremaux-sarandos-irishman-scorsese

Netflix won’t have any films at Cannes for the second year in a row
The streaming giant and film’s most prestigious festival are in a big fight.

The origins of the Cannes/Netflix row lie largely in the competing priorities of Hollywood, which prizes individual taste and choice, and French cinema culture, which emphasizes cultural preservation and the theatrical experience. The spark was lit in 2017 when Netflix brought two films to compete in Cannes: Bong Joon-ho’s Okja and Noah Baumbach’s The Meyerowitz Stories (New and Selected). The streaming giant planned to release the films worldwide to its streaming service within a few months of the festival — but not to theaters in France.

Why? Because French law mandates a 36-month window between a film’s theatrical release and its release on streaming services. Netflix didn’t want to wait until 2020 for Okja and The Meyerowitz Stories to show up on its French service. So it decided to simply skip the theatrical release for those two films. But French theater owners revolted, and the festival — an important part of the film ecosystem in France — decided that only films receiving a theatrical release in France will be eligible to play in competition at Cannes in the future.

Nothing is more terrifying to a multi-billion global corporation than revolting French cinema owners. 

The Favourite - (2018, dir. Yorgos Lanthimos) 

To keep this short and sweet, this is a British comedy that takes place in the early 1700s.  Queen Anne has failing health and two women vie for her attention and the power that comes with it.  The costumes and set pieces are breathtakingly done, providing a nice backdrop to what otherwise boils down to an old-fashioned cat fight.

This is Lanthimos' follow up to one of my personal faves, The Lobster.  The tone is similar here, but I think this film is more cinema conscious instead of focusing mainly on the jokes.  I loved it, but I think the tone slowly shifts to more serious territory in the final act.  It made the ending feel a bit tedious.

There are laugh out loud moments.  Olivia Coleman is great as Queen Anne.  Emma Stone is solid, yet unspectacular (in my eye).  I think she's really talented, but for some reason I just don't find her to be terribly interesting.  Maybe it's just a personal thing.

Rachel Weisz delivers a tour de force.  Steals the film for me.  She's amazing.  Not sure there's a better talent working today.

Fun times. (3.5/4)