Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The last movie you saw......GO! (After you read the OP!!!!)

renaissance

20 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

So, in your view being sold into marriage by your father isn’t an allegory for “human trafficking” but choosing instead to literally take flight into the night is?

Where exactly did she take flight into the night?  Had she chosen to tell the goat "no deal!" before packing her bags and setting off you'd be right.  That never happened, probably because that choice lead to certain death.  What she chose was enslavement to a satanic death cult that murdered her family, left her helpless, and only then extended a false hand in friendship.  We have words for groups with evil intentions that target helpless kids from broken homes that find themselves in dire circumstances.  Words like "pimps" "human traffickers" and "cults."  Generally we don't consider any of them empowering or feminist. 

In this way the film makers, intentionally or otherwise, crafted a classically sinister Satan.  He made an alluring offer that in the long run is clearly a deal that should be rejected.  Temporary gain, to live deliciously, and all it costs is your soul.  Given to a person in better circumstances the deal would be rejected outright.  That's why those circumstances needed to be manipulated and the offer made at the precise moment.   

2 hours ago, Destino said:

Where exactly did she take flight into the night?  Had she chosen to tell the goat "no deal!" before packing her bags and setting off you'd be right.  That never happened, probably because that choice lead to certain death.  What she chose was enslavement to a satanic death cult that murdered her family, left her helpless, and only then extended a false hand in friendship.  We have words for groups with evil intentions that target helpless kids from broken homes that find themselves in dire circumstances.  Words like "pimps" "human traffickers" and "cults."  Generally we don't consider any of them empowering or feminist. 

In this way the film makers, intentionally or otherwise, crafted a classically sinister Satan.  He made an alluring offer that in the long run is clearly a deal that should be rejected.  Temporary gain, to live deliciously, and all it costs is your soul.  Given to a person in better circumstances the deal would be rejected outright.  That's why those circumstances needed to be manipulated and the offer made at the precise moment.   

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/subtext

http://www.mlive.com/movies/index.ssf/2016/02/movie_review_the_witch_is_cree.html

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2016/02/robert-eggers-the-witch-female-empowerment/470844/

Edited by TryTheBeal!

Haven't been in this thread recently, but I'll give my take on a few flicks I've seen recently. I have the AMC version of Movie Pass, so I've been living in the theater.

1) Bumblebee: 7.5/10: Much better than the Bay movies, though that's not saying much. The new direction and 80's G1 transformer designs was a nice bit of nostalgia. Had some great comedy moments and the action was solid.

2) The Predator: 1/10: What a piece of ****. Who the **** greenlit this abomination? Worst movie I've seen in a while.

3) Green Book: 9/10: Fantastic. Viggo and Ali make a very dynamic team, and their chemistry onscreen is undeniable. It's a fantastically acted, and well-written story. Definitely give it a watch.

4) The Mule: 7/10: Pretty solid effort from Clint. The pacing of it struggles a bit, especially towards the end, but I thought the screenplay was solid overall. Pretty entertaining.

5) Bohemian Rhapsody: 8.5/10: Pretty damn good. The musical performance scenes were incredible, and Rami Malek's performance as Freddy was fantastic. The movie doesn't quite hit the hardest parts of Mercury's life the way some people might be expecting for a biopic, but this is a very good story that is well written.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

I never said you were the only person to come up with such a ghoulish interpretation.  I even granted the film makers may have unintentionally created a classic satan while trying to be edgy.  Not terribly surprising Hollywood would confuse choice with predatory behavior either.  

It changes nothing.   

2 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

The movie was shot in Canada with an overwhelmingly English cast under the auspices of the Northern Ontario Heritage Fund.

Yes because by Hollywood I meant the geographical location.  Good catch.

You do see...something.

I do, and listed precisely what it was that I saw in the plot, point by point.  You can’t do the same because you’re argument consists of essentially “nevermind 90% of the things that actually happen in the movie, just focus on the early Christian stuff I don’t like.”

Had to turn the Caps game off before I threw the remote through the TV so I watched the movie Searching. I definitely enjoyed it, different kind of movie where everything is seen through a computer screen. Had some good twists. The guy from Harold and Kumar is in it. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, max21 said:

Had to turn the Caps game off before I threw the remote through the TV so I watched the movie Searching. I definitely enjoyed it, different kind of movie where everything is seen through a computer screen. Had some good twists. The guy from Harold and Kumar is in it. 

Same.  First 10 mins in and I was like "is the whole thing like this?  Through a computer screen?" and considered turning it off.  Glad I stayed, solid flick.  :) 

• Like 2

Watched Bird Box on Netflix last night. I didn't like it much, but of course, I just finished reading the book. Hate to be this person, but the book was better. I give the movie a C, but the book gets an A.

In defense of the movie, my wife and mother both really liked the movie. So, I am probably just being biased.

I also watched a decade old western on Amazon called The Proposition. It's with Guy Ritchie. A sheriff gives him an offer to kill his brother to save another brother. I really enjoyed it. Pretty bloody. It gets a B+ from me.

7 hours ago, Fan since a Fetus said:

Watched Bird Box on Netflix last night. I didn't like it much, but of course, I just finished reading the book. Hate to be this person, but the book was better. I give the movie a C, but the book gets an A.

The book is usually better and we all know it.  I just assume it to be the case most of the time.  The real crime is when movie writers, thinking they can do better, signficantly change the story.  I really hate that.

• Like 2

On 1/15/2019 at 1:46 PM, ExoDus84 said:

2) The Predator: 1/10: What a piece of ****. Who the **** greenlit this abomination? Worst movie I've seen in a while.

Let it out.  Don’t keep that hate inside you.  I know I did after seeing that horrible movie:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Gotta go with at least a 2/10 on Predator simply because it was better then Venom, IMO. Wow was that **** terrible though. There's a supply dump of info online on what went wrong. Apparently they had so many remakes the final result is 2-3 plotlines. 

Venom = 1/10 for sure. Can hardly remember enough of it to know how bad it was.

Mid 90's, Jonah Hill directed movie about 90's skate kids. Fantastic, 8.5/10. Overly dramatic but the characters are awesome. Reminded me too much of real people to be 100% fiction. Hill is definitely in my generation, could relate to entire movie.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

The Predator was garbage.  Probably the worst movie I saw in 2018.  I have nothing good to say about it other then Olivia Munn is nice to look at.  But she can't act.  The story sucked, the CGI was bad, the dialogue was awful, none of the characters were likable at all.  I like most of Shane Black's movies but IDK what he was thinking with this one.  They should have just made it a straight to Sci-Fi Channel movie with the likes of Lake Placid 3 and Anaconda 2.   

Venom was a mess, but at least the banter between Eddie and Venom was fun and entertaining.   

2 hours ago, Mooka said:

Gotta go with at least a 2/10 on Predator simply because it was better then Venom, IMO. Wow was that **** terrible though. There's a supply dump of info online on what went wrong. Apparently they had so many remakes the final result is 2-3 plotlines. 

Have to disagree with you on this. I'd give venom a 4/10. The CGI was at least redeemable and there was a moment or two of decency.

The Predator? No. Just...no. After watching that fermenting pile of dilophosaurus dung, I went to Amazon and tried to see if they sold a working version of the Men in Black memory eraser. Much to my chagrin, they did not.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The Predator is that special combination of awful that places it alongside movies like the Transformers Age of Extinction and Indepedence Day 2.  The writers of these movies hate humanity and are working towards our destruction.

I thought Venom was entertaining, but I recognize it’s not a good movie.  It’s not nearly as bad however, as the others mentioned.  

• Haha 3

On 1/12/2019 at 6:15 AM, max21 said:

The Witch - No idea what I just watched, don’t waste your time. It’s hard to find good scary movies these days, I’d rather squirt lemon juice in my eyes than watch that again. 

I'm with you.  That movie was ****ing terrible.  One of those movies after I watched it, I wish I never wasted time on it.  One of the worst movies I've ever watched in full.

Halloween (2018) - 7/10 - this movie was very close to being like a 9/10 but there is one part towards the end that had me going "really?" and I kind of saw it coming but really hoped it wasn't going to happen, but it did. Other than that though, I thought it was great. The music and sound is awesome and very Halloween'ish. So is the camera work with scenes filmed like you're looking into someones window of their home. Just really well done. And Michael Myers was a complete badass in this movie.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

On 1/15/2019 at 1:46 PM, ExoDus84 said:

This movie was SSSSOOOOOO bad.  The only part that kept me somewhat entertained was all of the dumb comedy in it.  Key told some mama joke on the bus that had me rolling.

Mowgli - 8/10 - wow this movie was really good. It was better than I anticipated and it's basically a Jungle Book story for adults. No singing or kiddie stuff and it's dark and gritty. I liked the style of it with the animals and while the CGI wasn't the best I've ever seen, it felt like it fit the style of the movie.

• Like 1

Finally got to see “The Shape of Water” last night. Phenomenal movie. Wonderful story, fantastic acting (Shannon is remarkable), great cinematography. Movie had absolutely everything. Guess there’s a reason it won an Academy Award.

If you have not seen it, do so.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/17/2019 at 10:55 AM, Mooka said:

Mid 90's, Jonah Hill directed movie about 90's skate kids. Fantastic, 8.5/10. Overly dramatic but the characters are awesome. Reminded me too much of real people to be 100% fiction. Hill is definitely in my generation, could relate to entire movie.

Absolutely no way The Predator is worse than Venom, to each their own but that’s laughable. I usually critic movies harshly but I thought Venom was not a bad movie, I’m surprised it’s gets such negative reviews. Not Hardy’s best movie but I thought it was a decent flick. I did watch the movie Snatch last night, probably one of my favorite movies I’ve seen lately. Funny as hell and a bunch of good actors, could barely understand Brad Pitt at times but he was awesome in it. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, max21 said:

I did watch the movie Snatch last night, probably one of my favorite movies I’ve seen lately. Funny as hell and a bunch of good actors, could barely understand Brad Pitt at times but he was awesome in it. 

Classic! :)

CUK1n9X.png

• Like 1