Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The last movie you saw......GO! (After you read the OP!!!!)

renaissance

3 hours ago, justice98 said:

Kong: Skull Island

Decent, wasn't blown away.  I appreciate there was plenty of Kong, early and often.  John C. Reilly had the only human character that was interesting.  

I was trying to figure out though why a giant male gorilla has no twig and berries.  How did the Kongs reproduce?

Monarch was mentioned, so a Kong vs Godzilla movie is already in the works.  Movie was in 70s, so hopefully gets big enough to stand a chance against Godzilla, still too small.  As for this movie, I couldn't get high enough to find it plausible.  When he had the girl in his hand and used that same hand to yank a monster tongue out, I was done, I was no more good.

D, I'll put it on in the background with music instead while I'm cleaning.

Saw Lego Batman last night.  Just a bunch of fun through and through.  It's one of those movies that honestly is fun for the whole family.  And they did a great job digging through Batman's history to bring a little bit of everything into it.  When Joker was listing off villain after villain he'd gotten to join him, I was begging for a particularly obscure one to be included, but he wasn't.  But then cut to the next scene and there he was!

On 4/5/2017 at 7:08 PM, Califan007 said:

I really liked it...but I tend to like horror movies that are full of dread moreso than full of gore (although this movie has some rather nasty stuff as well).

On 4/5/2017 at 7:25 PM, Metalhead said:

I'm the same way - I love the psychological, slowburn, tension-building horror. The gory stuff just doesn't do anything for me.

Add me to the group.  Seems most horror movies anymore (or was it always that way) are about the gore and the cheap jump-scares and the like rather than building up of tension and going after your mind.  I think it's really neat when they can make you question what's real, or perhaps what's moral.

On 4/5/2017 at 9:03 PM, Rdskns2000 said:

Saw "Ghost in the Shell" over the weekend.  Just another C movie. Average.  It was a little different.

When I saw the trailer for it, my immediate thought was "oh, another foreign IP getting the generic Hollywood treatment."  Looks like my impression was spot-on.

On 4/7/2017 at 9:00 PM, Metalhead said:

I will say this after watching it - casting Johansson was indeed pointless and needless whitewashing. Yes, I said it. There aren't many opportunities in American cinema to have an Asian female lead (if there are any at all) but this was one. I mean seriously, when else if not this film?

Honestly, I get the problem with whitewashing as a general trend, but considering the subject matter of the movie and how the artwork representing the character in the animation doesn't scream "Japanese", I really don't have a problem with a Caucasian woman playing the lead role.  That said, I probably wouldn't have cast Scarlet Johansson; I think I'd have preferred a fresher face.  Maybe use the money saved to buy a script that doesn't sound like a Robocop ripoff.

Edited by PokerPacker

I thought Ghost in the Shell was entertaining.  Even gave off a Blade Runner vibe at times.  There were two things that hurt it, the changes in the story line really weakened the overall point of the story.  Standard stuff for movies, who are created by people with such towering egos that they think they can take previously successful stories and make them better.  They can't, they make everything they touch worse by loading it up with tropes... and then everyone blames the source material.  The second issue is that ScarJo just isn't much of an actress. 

I saw GITS last weekend and I'm kind of mixed on it too. The iconic scenes were done well and their way of creating a backstory and expanding on an origin was fairly interesting.

I would have preferred they kept the target on exploring what humanity means instead of turning to cliches about evil corporations. 

I will say this after watching it - casting Johansson was indeed pointless and needless whitewashing. Yes, I said it. There aren't many opportunities in American cinema to have an Asian female lead (if there are any at all) but this was one. I mean seriously, when else if not this film?

If they were going to invite controversy they should have at least gotten a better actress for their trouble.  ScarJo just isn't very good.  This really would have been a perfect opportunity to give a lesser known Japanese (let's not say Asian as if they are all the same) actress a role.  I wonder if they would have received the funding if they'd gone that route though.  But if you're worried about white washing rest easy, Japan evened the score with the new Full Metal Alchemist live action movie. 

meeBJKf.jpg

3 hours ago, Destino said:

If they were going to invite controversy they should have at least gotten a better actress for their trouble.  ScarJo just isn't very good.  This really would have been a perfect opportunity to give a lesser known Japanese (let's not say Asian as if they are all the same) actress a role.  I wonder if they would have received the funding if they'd gone that route though.  But if you're worried about white washing rest easy, Japan evened the score with the new Full Metal Alchemist live action movie. 

Fullmetal Alchemist point taken, well done :)

I agree, Johannson's name alone allowed for more funding. More studio control came along with it, thus the opening-scene dialogue that explained everything for a general audience. That was a bit jarring and disappointing.

On 8/4/2017 at 3:00 AM, Metalhead said:

casting Johansson was indeed pointless and needless whitewashing. Yes, I said it. There aren't many opportunities in American cinema to have an Asian female lead (if there are any at all) but this was one. I mean seriously, when else if not this film?

Here you go ;): 6 Japanese Actresses Who Could (and Should!) Replace Scarlett Johansson in 'Ghost in the Shell’

Marketing aside, I was thinking about the japanese actress in X-Men Rita Fukushima :ph34r:

Edited by FrFan

Fate of the Furious

I never have quite accepted certain aspects of the series, since about Fast 5.  

Like, the fact that Dom is such a badass.  Once he beat the Rock in F5, I checked out.  

Or that these street racers somehow became elite special forces commandos.

Having said that, F8 is more of the same thing from what they've been doing since F5.  But I think I'm running out of steam on the formula.  I liked 5, 6, and 7, but I was oddly bored with the proceedings in 8. 

Hobbs was the only one who seemed to care they were working with Shaw. 

Nobody seemed to care too much that Dom coulda killed them all. I won't spoil the reason Dom turns, but I had issues with that too.

The action is Fast and Furious caliber, cars crashing and doing crazy things. No problem with that.

Creatively, they need an evolution to the series like how they got from street racing to heist movies to straight action flicks.

Or they can keep doing what they're doing and print money.  lol

• Like 3

I saw it too. Rock and Statham were great and stole the show. The rest was the same mindless ridiculous action drivel that makes you feel stupid for watching. I felt bored in this one too. Series peaked with 1 which was a great Point Break reskin and then somehow peaked again with 5 thru the introduction of the Rock and a heist aspect. I was intrigued to see why Dom turned and it wasn't interesting. 

This is one really pulled out all the stops, just retconning **** and making a who's who of the franchise. It was nuts. Hard to believe they are goig to squeeze 2 more movies out of this arc 

2 hours ago, justice98 said:

Fate of the Furious

I never have quite accepted certain aspects of the series, since about Fast 5.  

Like, the fact that Dom is such a badass.  Once he beat the Rock in F5, I checked out.  

Or that these street racers somehow became elite special forces commandos.

Having said that, F8 is more of the same thing from what they've been doing since F5.  But I think I'm running out of steam on the formula.  I liked 5, 6, and 7, but I was oddly bored with the proceedings in 8. 

Hobbs was the only one who seemed to care they were working with Shaw. 

Nobody seemed to care too much that Dom coulda killed them all. I won't spoil the reason Dom turns, but I had issues with that too.

The action is Fast and Furious caliber, cars crashing and doing crazy things. No problem with that.

Creatively, they need an evolution to the series like how they got from street racing to heist movies to straight action flicks.

Or they can keep doing what they're doing and print money.  lol

I actually enjoyed the movie. But you hit the nail on the head. 

Another thing that really bugs me. I guess we're all supposed to forget that Shaw killed Han.

Saw four movies this weekend on demand.

Kill the Irishman, based on the life of mobster Danny Greene. Loved it, but I'm a sucker for mob movies and I had watched a documentary on Danny Greene. Green is played by the actor who was Titus Pullo in Rome. Also featured are an obese Val Kilmer and Christopher Walken.

War Dogs - Another one based on a true story. I'm not a fan of Jonah Hill, but he was perfect as a back-stabbing amoral arms dealer. Movie had a definite Scorsese feel to it. I dug it.

Dr Strange - Pisses me off that I paid money to rent this. Watched the preview and was hoping for something like Inception or maybe Matrix, but instead get a bad 2 hour episode of The Magicians, but without the eye candy.

Suicide Squad - Thankfully this was on HBO. Solid performance by Will Smith, and great performances by whoever played Harley Quinn and the Joker, but this movie flat out sucked.

Saw The Void over the weekend.  Hyped as a modern-day version of The Thing/Hellraiser/Fulci.  It's really just a very cheap, very poorly constructed homage with little more than a few interesting FX scenes.  Highly derivative and amateurish.  I can't recommend it and I'm a sucker for underground horror.

4/10 cause Im a soft touch.

• Like 1

Been a while since I contributed, so here goes:

1) Manchester by the Sea - 9/10: As a character study about someone going through unimaginable grief, it was superb. Casey Affleck and Michelle Williams were brilliant. There's a bit of dry comedy to break up the bleakness of it, which is good. I can see why it was nominated for best picture.

2) Hidden Figures -  9/10: This one flew under the radar for me. I really never even heard of it. It's about the prominent role of three African American NASA engineers/mathematicians during the early part of the space race, and their contributions to the agency while fighting segregation and racism. Fantastic acting, great humor, and it tells a very good story. I'd definitely recommend.

3) Assassin's Creed - 6.5/10: As far as video game adaptions go, this could have been worse. Michael Fassbender is a great actor, but the script is kind of weak, and the story is not well told and a bit convoluted. Action was solid and the visual effects were up to snuff. If you're sci-fi fan, or a fan of the game series, it's worth a watch, but don't expect to be blown away.

4) Kong Skull Island - 7.5/10: I thought it was pretty good. The visual effects were great, and the epic monsters of skull island were pretty trippy. The human characters were kind of flat and not memorable, outside of John C. Reilly, whose character is awesome. Brie Larson is eye candy, but doesn't add much to the story. Samuel L. Jackson plays the villain, and it's a bit over the top, but otherwise he does well enough. Kong is of course the main show, and he's a badass. Pretty solid watch.

5) Logan - 9/10: Phenomenal movie. It's not just a great x-men film, but a great all around movie. Hugh Jackman is superb, and the story felt incredibly real and personal. This movie isn't about globe trotting heroes that save the world. It's really a story of two men who are coming to the end of their road in a world that no longer needs them, and how they find meaning. Definitely a must-watch.

6) Rogue One: 8/10: Another great entry into the Star Wars universe. I'm not a huge Star Wars nerd, so I can't really comment about the pros and cons of how the story fits into the larger universe. From a casual fans perspective though, it told a great story, had awesome action scenes, and was well made. I think I enjoyed Episode 7 better, but this one is a worthy entry and should be seen if you're even a casual SW fan. 

• Like 3

Been watching a ****-ton of movies lately, I'll have to chime in with a recap.  But for the love of God, you must watch The Handmaiden.  The hipster movie forums have been buzzing about this one for a while, and I finally watched it last night.  I was not aware that PARK Chan-wook, my favorite director on planet earth, did this film.  Thirst, Oldboy, Lady Vengeance, Joint Security Area, Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, I'm a Cyborg - but That's Okay....some of my absolute faves.  And I found out Chan-wook did The Handmaiden right before I turned it on.  :wub:

This is a top 10 movie of 2016.  Period.  It won three Blue Dragon awards, South Korea's "Oscars."

Edited by Chew
  • Like 3

So umm...scrolling through Netflix documentaries, and I stumbled upon Sweaty Betty, what I thought was about a Redskins pig mascot.  Turns out itbwaa basically two dudes from Landover near Kentland filming themselves througgout the day.  Same director that did Straight Outta Compton. 

It got a ton of love on the indie circuit when it first came out a few years ago. Its basically a window into a day in the life of two PG County 20-somethings.  It wasn't very good...and yet I loved it LOL. Its at an 88% on rotten!  

sweaty-betty-2.jpg

Edited by Chew
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, DM72 said:

Nah, I said it before. The biggest gripe with F8 is that we're all supposed to forget that Shaw killed "family member" Han.

Dom is very forgiving and accepting of family. Now the Shaws are family which means all is good. 

But seriously i agree and I guess that's why he skipped out on the family barbecue at the end. 

Reslly though, why didn't Dom just tell them what was happening and why he was being used. Why silently go along with it like a brainwashed robot and not say **** to anyone, risk killing them multiple times etc 

i think they they would have understood and could have helped sooner. 

Just dumb

I saw Gold with Matthew McConaughey. I give it a B the screenplay is linear, opposed to Matthew McConaughey brilliant foot loose play. This guy always delivers and never disappoints.

Edited by FrFan
  • Like 1

On 4/20/2017 at 4:55 AM, FrFan said:

I saw Gold with Matthew McConaughey. I give it a B the screenplay is linear, opposed to Matthew McConaughey brilliant foot loose play. This guy always delivers and never disappoints.

Watched this last night.  I thought it was pretty strong, much better than the 47% it's getting on Rotten (IMO).  Matthew definitely went all in with the role, he was awesome.  Interesting story that moved along quickly enough, at two hours it didn't feel too long.  Got a good shot of Matthew's hind parts.  

Bryce Dallas Howard's got a donk.  Whewwwwww!  :headbang:

• Like 1

On 4/18/2017 at 6:28 PM, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Biggest flaw with Fast Fates of the Furious 8?

Somehow, this sentence made me laugh out loud. :cheers:

I finally got to watch Silence today.  Scorsese's 17th century Japan/Christian epic is undoubtedly a piece of art, but maybe not as engaging as he would've liked.  The themes here are engrossing.  Two Jesuit priests travel to Japan to seek their mentor who has vanished.  They deal with persecution and torture in a land that does not take kindly to Catholicism.  It is truly incredible the things that humans have done to one another and continue to do in the name of religion.  

Scorsese keeps his violence at a distance, almost turning it into mundane practice.  It's possible his intention was to show how pointless all of it is.  At least, that's how it felt to me. :)

I think Adam Driver is an actor on the rise.  He has a great screen presence.  I'm hoping his Kylo Ren turn gets as dark as possible.  He's very solid here.

I'm not sure I understand the allure of Andrew Garfield.  I think Hollywood wanted him to be the next sex symbol/good actor/Leo kinda thing, but he just doesn't move the needle for me.  I think if Marty had stuck with Leo for this role, the entire film would've benefitted from it.  Garfield just feels flat. 3/4.

• Like 1