Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The last movie you saw......GO! (After you read the OP!!!!)

renaissance

"Castaway on the Moon." Currently on netflix instant stream. Hilarious, 8/10.

It's about a guy who is over $200k in debt, and his long time girlfriend has just dumped him. he tried to commit suicide by jumping off a bridge, only to wake up on a small island under the freeway. He is only about 500 feet from downtown Seoul, Korea, but he can't swim and is trapped there. Nobody knows he's there, and he ends up living off the land and trash that's floated ashore for months. Kinda like Tom Hank's "Castaway," but a lot more funny.

Well, my time spent with my mom today did indeed take in 'The Lucky One.'

For risk of being asked to turn in my 'male card', I actually don't mind romantic films if there done well and tug at your heartstrings. (*Soft ass me.), And I've really enjoyed three other Nicholas Sparks adaptations, although I've never personally read any of his works. I loved 'The Notebook' with it's eternal, mystical love that everyone's secretly searching for is their truly honest I believe. And (here goes the 'male card' up in flames) 'Dear John' had me in tears over the Atlantic on a plane flight with an unexpected bonus of the girl in the seat next to me taking to that raw emotion, but that's another story, smiles. I even got wrapped up in the romantic mush of 'Message in a Bottle', the weakest of the three I'd seen prior to today. But that was more for the performances of the actors involved than the fantasy tale.

And so to today's offering, 'The Lucky One.'

Not sharing MissU's enthusiasm over the page I'm afraid. But then this is probably the ultimate chick flick, with Zac Efron SO perfectly cutesy it's almost unbearable. It's complete, mystical, romantic twaddle. And mushy as all Hell. But then romance is supposed to be mushy as all Hell isn't it so it I guess it kinda' hits the mark. (Even if the story that was outlined a page or two back is real hard to believe.). If the escapism romantic notion of a good, hard working single mom finding her destiny in the form of the muscle bound, quite but sensitive Marine Logan (Efron); who saved his life without even knowing it and who he just has to find and thank appeals, then you'll love it. (Did I mention 'ULTIMATE chick flick.').

I'd file this somewhere in the middle of Sparks adapts I've seen with a 'meh.' Great music and beautifully shot, (The late summer Southern days are just idyllic.). But a little TOO much mush for me.

Oh, FWIW, my mom thought it was great.

Hail.

*Edit* Oh, and the aforementioned Mr Efron gets to play with puppies and other dogs. Does it get any more cutesy than that for you girls?

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven

Watched a documentary about "A Tribe Called Quest". Didn't pay attention to the name, sorry.

It was on tv last night and was done pretty well. Leaves you wondering about who is telling the truth about the whole situation with the break up.

BEATS RHYMES AND LIFE..

Excellent. Loved it.

---------- Post added May-23rd-2012 at 05:59 PM ----------

220px-Immortals_poster.jpg

Saw 3 nights ago. I liked. I'm a Sci Fi nerd. Needs a tad bit more action. I liked though.

70215455.jpg

You know the deal. Woman is possessed. Yells profanity, contorts body, priests go through ritual, non-believers now believe, etc.

So after watching this, my belief that exorcism movies always suck was validated once again. This is because:

-They are all the same, so you always know the outcome

-People (for some reason it's always a female) held in restraints are not intimidating. "O noes, she's swearing at us!"

-Suspense is scary. There is no suspense in exorcism movies because the bad guy (girl) is always on display right in front of everybody

-The only people who ever die are the ones on the "exorcism team". So if you don't do exorcism house calls there is no reason you shouldn't sleep soundly after watching

So my wife grabbed the debit card and came home from the redbox with ......

220px-The_Vow_Poster.jpg

...and then she had the nerve to watch it on my flat screen. Anyways, this is just another hour and a half long cliche; young couple madly in love, car accident, she loses all memory of him, parents and family turn out to be manipulative, boy tries to make her fall back in love, stupid family does stupid, girl realizes boy loved her the most all along.

*based on a true story.

There now you don't have to watch it.

real_steel7.jpg

From imdb:

Set in the near future, where robot boxing is a top sport, a struggling promoter feels he's found a champion in a discarded robot. During his hopeful rise to the top, he discovers he has an 11-year-old son who wants to know his father.

I avoided this movie for a very long time, mainly because all of the trailers that I saw screamed futuristic cheesy-ness to me, but I gave it a go this afternoon, and was pleasantly surprised. It was a very well done movie, with plenty of action/intensity, humor, and heartwarming moments.

Good soundtrack as well.

Edited by Mr. Sinister

• 2 weeks later...

Just watched Moonrise Kingdom last night. A touching and comedic movie. All star cast of adults including Bruce Willis, Edward Norton, Bill Murray, Harvey Keitel, Jason Schwarzman, Frances McDormand, and Tilda Swanson, but the real stars were the kids playing the two leads who had a grand total of 0 movies between them before this. Went into it not knowing what to expect, and walked out very pleasantly surprised. Definitely recommend people watching this.

Cabin in the Woods (2011)

Five friends go for a break at a remote cabin in the woods, where they get more than they bargained for. Together, they must discover the truth behind the cabin in the woods.

Meh. The movie was alright, definitely way over-hyped. I'm not sure how it is a game-changer for the horror genre; I don't think this movie did anything that Scream didn't. Then again I'm not a horror fangirl, so maybe I just missed something :)

I just saw this movie last night at one of those theatres that shows movies before they go to DVD, and it blew me away! I'm not a big horror fan myself, but my girl is, and insisted we go see it because of the reviews she's heard. Thought it was a really original concept.

Regarding your 'game-changer' comment, I said almost the same thing to my girl and my friend, to which they basically responded:

ninja --> "It 'justifies' every other horror movie. It leaves you with the thought that every horror movie that's happened (hellraiser, It, etc etc) has all been created and manipulatedby that company in order to make that necessary sacrifice.

THAT'S what made me step back and go 'woah!'

yep, Cabin in the Woods is definitely NOT your every day cheesy horror film. I enjoyed it :)

I fnally saw Denzel's "Safe House" the other night. I really enjoyed that movie, it was better than I thought it would be. Ryan Reynolds is a solid actor.

prometheusofficialposter.jpg

Prometheus.

Synopsis: A future humanity finds evidence of alien forefathers and seeks them out.

Review: 8.0 / 10

Has all the elements of a great movie but it just isn't.

Right from the opening scene, I was hooked by it's central idea, visual style, and symbolism

The acting from the main roles is very good, I just felt there were too many characters and too many obvious plot turns for them.

The movie "dips" storytelling wise about 3/4 of the way and fails to "set up" some of the actions characters take in the conclusion.

Really enjoyed it though and left the theatre wanting to keep seeing more which is really the best kind of compliment for a movie.

Edited by Rodriggo
formatting

http://www.prometheus-movie.com/media-thumbs/prometheusofficialposter.jpg

Prometheus.

Synopsis: A future humanity finds evidence of alien forefathers and seeks them out.

Review: 8.0 / 10

Has all the elements of a great movie but it just isn't.

Right from the opening scene, I was hooked by it's central idea, visual style, and symbolism

The acting from the main roles is very good, I just felt there were too many characters and too many obvious plot turns for them.

The movie "dips" storytelling wise about 3/4 of the way and fails to "set up" some of the actions characters take in the conclusion.

Really enjoyed it though and left the theatre wanting to keep seeing more which is really the best kind of compliment for a movie.

That opening scene was amaaaazing though. Really really cool, both conceptually and visually. Some of the people I was with couldn't understand what was happening but for those of us who did... Wow. Well done.

That opening scene was amaaaazing though. Really really cool, both conceptually and visually. Some of the people I was with couldn't understand what was happening but for those of us who did... Wow. Well done.

Oh man, I'm right there with you. To convey something as complex as an alien life form creating life WITHOUT words in a matter of a couple of seconds was tremendous.

Yeah, I had to explain that sequence to my mom over the phone after she saw the film. :)

Rented both Chronicle and John Carter (of Mars) from Redbox this weekend.

My expectations were extremely high for Chronicle and were met. What a good movie and proof that you don't need a big name to make a "superhero" type of movie.

The sad part is, I felt like John Carter (of Mars) could have done so much better in the US had Disney marketed it right. This was a bomb? No, this was a solid film that should crushed the competition. Proof is in the $'s that it did overseas.

12 Angry Men

Henry Fonda, et al.

I told my 15 yr old we'd watch anything he wanted to watch and he picked that because they read it in class, and he played the bigot who is the last to relent.

Glad to see he's getting a taste for the classics.

~Bang

talhotblond (2009)

True story about a married, middle-aged man who starts talking to an attractive 18 year old girl in a chat room, and tells her he's also 18 years old and stationed in Iraq. They fall in love, he becomes obsessed and builds up a more elaborate lie, sending everything spiraling out of control and leading to tragedy.

Pretty good storytelling, pretty tragic consequences for damn near everyone shown in the movie. If you want to enjoy the documentary to its fullest, don't watch the trailer.

Where did you find this movie- netflix, redbox? I don't have netflix anymore, I use amazon instead, but there is no option to "rent" the movie, only buy.

Saturday night my girlfriend had on Lifetime Movie Network and I thought "great, another lifetime movie". Then I just happened to catch the guy typing in "marinesniper" as his screen name and I suddenly remembered reading about the movie after discovering it in this thread haha. I watched the rest of the movie from that point, and watched the parts that I missed on the encore showing afterwards. I thought it was really good.

Saturday night my girlfriend had on Lifetime Movie Network and I thought "great, another lifetime movie". Then I just happened to catch the guy typing in "marinesniper" as his screen name and I suddenly remembered reading about the movie after discovering it in this thread haha. I watched the rest of the movie from that point, and watched the parts that I missed on the encore showing afterwards. I thought it was really good.

oh great, I'll check on Lifetime! Thanks!