Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The last movie you saw......GO! (After you read the OP!!!!)

renaissance

On 3/11/2017 at 10:10 PM, Larry said:

Also, there has only been two times where I walked out of a movie, thinking "That guy deserves an Oscar nomination for Best Supporting Actor".  

Fred Gwyn in Vinnie, and Tom Arnold in True Lies.  

I dont know about those two, but more comedy performances should get recognized.  

Allied -  very good movie. Better than I expected. Also, as a huge fan of Casablanca I loved the first 40+ minutes or so that took place there during the same period as the classic. The clothes, the buildings etc all felt ripped straight from that movie. It was awesome. 

Strong performances from Cotillard and Pitt. Conclusion felt a bit rushed though but damn, sad stuff 

• Like 2

I saw "Life" on Friday.  It sucked.  It felt like I've seen this story told before and the pacing was slow for my tastes.  Just an average movie, so I'll give it a C.

Spoiler

The only interesting thing was the ending twist.  You think it's going to end one way but it ends another way.  Though, you probably should've guessed the movie was going to end the way it did. After all, this story has been told before.

I saw "Power Rangers" today and surprisingly it was good.  They did a good job of relaunching the movies.  This movie crushes the ones they did back in the 90's.  I'll give this one an A. 

Next up for me is "CHIPS".

Edited by Rdskns2000

I liked Life. It's kinda predictable, but not bad. 

Spoiler

That creature is a bad mofo! It F'ed everybody up.

CHIPS is decent. Michael Pena and Dax have great chemistry in this movie. Pena is a very underrated comedic actor. 

A bit since I stopped in.

"Arrival"

Liked it (B+/A-)... need to watch it again to fully understand what was going on.  

"End of Watch"

Solid A movie for me.  One of the best police movies I have seen in awhile... Jake Gyllenhall (sp?) was last seen by me in "Nightcrawler" -- what police movies made recently are better than that?  

"John Wick"

Bourne, Taken, the Tom Cruise one (that one had a bit more going for it)... yadda-yadda-yadda --- seen this movie way too many times recently.  Nothing really special stands out about this one...

Get Out

Saw it at an Alalmo Cinema.  Alamo was nice, but I was a bit underwhelmed all things considered.  Probably won't be going 30+ minutes out of my way to see a movie there again.

As far as the movie.  I actively avoided spoilers. Also, I think that the previews did a great job of not giving away much at all.  As far as the film, I thought it was well acted and there isn't much that is wasted.  The pacing is great and it does an effective job getting the viewer to ask more.  Keeps you guessing.

I'll give it a 4 out of 5.

The Blackcoat's Daughter

blackcoats_daughter.jpg

Atmospheric as hell. There's a palpable sense of unease from the first frame to the final one. Acting is solid pretty much across the board, with Shipka the most impressive. If you're someone who craves jump scares and a brisk pace in your horror movies, you may not get too into this movie. It's a bit more deliberate and has some mysteries and twists that need to be figured out. It's also a movie that you'll be thinking about the rest of the weekend. I give it a B+.

• Like 5

Out of Sight (1998).  George Clooney plays bank robber opposite Jennifer's Lopez's tough but sexy performance as an FBl Federal Marshall.  This was Steven Soderbergh's career launch film.  He would later do Traffic, Erin Brockovich, and Ocean's 11 (among others).

This is one of the best films of the 90s.  It was failed by a late year release date and an even worse marketing strategy.  There's a bit of everything here.  It's got a heist, it's funny, it's hip, it's sexy...just everything you would want in a film.  Steve Zahn steals the show as an ex-con/Clooney helper, but solid supporting turns from Ving Rhames and Dennis Farina fill out a solid cast.  It's fun to watch Don Cheadle and Isaiah Washington play low-life hoods.  They're both amazing.

The real heat here comes from the script.  It won an Oscar for Best Adapted Screenplay, based on an Elmore Leonard novel.  What's not to like?

George Clooney and Jennifer Lopez burn down the screen.  It's worth catching if you missed it the first go around. 3.5/4

Thanks to everyone for the recent recommendations.  I've been swamped lately and I'm looking forward to getting caught up at the theater.  :cheers:

Edited by AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy
  • Like 2